Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any good science podcasts or iTunes U series' about chemistry and organic chemistry like when Walt gets going on chemistry in Breaking Bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

Any decent podcasts based on the environment?

http://geology.mines.edu/courses/sygn101/podcast/earth.xml

It's Dr. Christian Shorey's "Earth and Environmental Systems" podcast. It is more of an overview and exploration of pretty much the whole concept of earth science, and it's about as comprehensive as a first-year college course. He has a great geological timeline of the Earth's history in there, as well as a somewhat-worldwide history timeline.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Last Podcast on the Left is about 50/50 between true crime and paranormal. If they are tackling true crime it will definitely be the more horrific side like serial killers and spree killers. Right now they are doing Columbine. Just keep in mind the tone of their show is jokey and silly, but they are pretty funny. The downside of the humor focus is sometimes their research and factual accuracy can be a bit questionable.

This podcast is really enjoyable, although the hosts aren't quite as intelligent as I'd like for them to be. I've been skipping around the archive of Last Podcast on the Left, and when they bring up something they've already covered, it's pretty typical for them to say wrong facts or draw wrong conclusions from shoddily remembered stuff, although they probably are just operating off memory of something they last read a year or two ago. So, I'm willing to give the hosts of LPotL more of a pass than Sword and Scale, which covers stuff really thoroughly and does really great episodes(Episode 5 and 6 of S&S, on the Johnny Gosch abduction and the secret pedophilia/child sex slavery ring operating in the midwest was FASCINATING, and one of the coolest podcast experiences I've had to date)... Except he gets so preachy and loud about his personal beliefs that the mentally ill need to DIE DIE DIE all the friggin' time. His most recent two episodes on Joseph McEnroe drove me up the wall, because he'd go from talking so much poo poo about the guy and ragging on him for how much he hated his mom, to ragging on the mom and calling her a bad parent! If you're gonna just rag on everyone involved, I just end up not wanting to listen to the episode. And his massive belief that prosecutors are always the coolest, best, smartest, best sempais that he really wishes would just notice him drives me a little crazy.

So, take Sword and Scale with a massive grain of salt. If you subscribe to beliefs against the death penalty, or believe that the police are flawed, you might end up grinding your teeth as the host bangs on about his own personal politics. I wish he'd stay more impartial, but it seems like this stuff either goes massively liberal and comedic focused, or... Well. Otherwise.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Malloreon posted:

I want to hear mystery, suspense, scifi, and horror stories. old time radio or modern stuff. I've found a couple OTR shows:

radio detective story hour
great detectives of old time radio

but don't have complete archives. Any other recommendations?

I recently became a big fan of The Twilight Histories. It's a rad alternate history time travel podcast where you go somewhere in time or alternate histories and have an adventure. It started out a bit weak, but surprisingly satisfying anyway. I am glad I circled back around to it after giving up on it early. It's got some cool stuff.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Capacitor posted:

The latest Sword and Scale starts with the host saying he's a bit burnt out and is going to take a break, but then just spends the majority of the episode playing the Jonestown tapes.

Easy way to get past the hump of feeling burnt out. The amount of research he's got to do has to put a serious strain on his free time, especially since he's avoiding covering the usual suspects.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How can he possibly put out an episode without his moralizing and his personal opinions? The sword and scale listeners expect him to shittily justify killing the poo poo out of the insane.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm giving Last Podcast on the Left a try. Four episodes in and the hosts are the two most unlikable, homophobic, slightly racist, assholes I've listened to. Does the format change or do they say the same?

No, they stay exactly the same. If you want something like it but not as bad, try Stuff They Don't Want You To Know. It's the exact same kind of conspiracy theory podcast, but it doesn't have hosts who slay themselves making parody voices(Especially ones that are really, really bad). Instead, they're two generic white guys in their twenties who are just kinda pleasant.

Thinking Sideways is another good one with generally funny people who don't feel the urge to do what the LPotL guys do. I wish they'd knock it off with that kind of stuff, because when they're just cracking jokes, they're a little funnier. When they really get going in a bit, it turns awful, because Henry has lovely voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Qm-cO8Axw

Henry is just not good, all around. He's really the problem, of the three hosts. Ben and the other guy are either alright or at least a little more chill. Henry's trying to do the Chris Farley way too hard.

If you want investigative stuff that seems like it should be conspiracy theories, but just is telling you that poo poo be hosed, Reveal is pretty kickin' rad so far.

As for the guy looking for a storytelling show, The Lapse is good. I'm going to be checking out Love + Radio, but it looks good in concept.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has anyone been using the Howl app that Earwolf/Wolfpop released? I keep downloading episodes of a show to listen to later, but they don't end up actually in the library. It's like they auto-delete or something.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, I didn't listen to Last Podcast on the Left for a month after deciding I was not enjoying myself, and just checked it today. They did three episodes on 9/11. I figured I'd give the first one a listen, see if it was any good, and they were actually covering some pretty cogent points, like immediately trying to debunk the loving "jet fuel cant melt steel beams" meme. So, I kept listening, and I'm reminded of why I loving hate Henry Zubrowski. He's not funny, and when he gets mad and worked up, he starts stuttering, and the noise he makes when he's stuttering is annoying as gently caress. His voices are annoying as gently caress, too, and they're all pretty racist. So, I have two questions.

He's on some Adult Swim series. Is he at all enjoyable on that, or is he just an all-around waste? Second, the other two hosts said something about doing another podcast without Zubrowski called Abraham Lincoln's Top Hat. Anyone ever listened to that or Cave Comedy Radio? Is any of it any good?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He does Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell and it's ok but not great in general, he really has no factor in it either way.

I also would like to know the other podcasts because yea Henry is the fuckin pits, any podcast without him becoming a weird sputtery nerd shouting about how mad he is like a slightly racist Speed Buggy would be good.

Turns out that Cave Comedy Radio is a whole network of podcasts like Earwolf or TWiT. They've got a shitload of podcasts, and Zubrowski is only on Last Podcast on the Left. There's some on sex, some on politics, some on general comedy... I'm gonna give Abe Lincoln's Top Hat a try.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aside from Writing Excuses, because getting the old episodes are a pain in the dick, and Mur (Lafferty?)'s podcast, are there any good podcasts on the how's and whys of creative writing?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

padijun posted:

what's the best IOS podcast app? my android's battery poo poo the bed with the lights on a couple days ago, now I'm using an iphone 7 and the default podcasts app SUCKS

e: I used podcast addict which I guess isn't available in IOS?

Either Overcast or Downcast. Either works well.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

toanoradian posted:

So I've sorta dropped out of the podcast world for about the entirety of 2016 and 2017 (so far), and is left behind of so many podcasts. I've come across three podcasts that all have "town" in their name and it seems people really like them: Crimetown, Limetown and S-Town. What sort of podcasts are those and are they good?

Crimetown is about the political corruption of Providence, Rhode Island. Or at least, the first season was. Limetown is a fictional narrative about an experimental research facility where every person living there mysteriously vanished one night, and an investigative reporter goes to the place to figure out why. S-town is an investigative look into essentially smalltown life in the middle of nowhere in somewhere in the south.

Limetown's really good, and I've been meaning to check out Crimetown. People like S-town, but I haven't bothered listening yet.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been listening to Laser Time for a little while now, and though I am amused by the hosts and the subject matter from time to time, every time I finish an episode, I'm like "...Was that it? This is 'Member This?: The Podcast."

Is that seriously all there is with these guys? All of their podcasts seem to be "Hey here's a thing from the '90s or early 2000s. Remember this?" Is there a main podcast they do that I've not noticed, or a website, or are they really just Nostalgia: Audio Version?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

theironjef posted:

If you can handle the Star Wars EU though, definitely check out Expounded Universe because it's a jam. We've done Shadows of the Empire, Crystal Star, Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, and Courtship of Princess Leia so far!

Do the Callista trilogy, you cowards. Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, and Planet of Twilight. The worst fuckin' Star Wars books that don't matter to anything.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can I ask what the true crime enthusiasts think of the podcast "Undisclosed"? They launched as a rebuttal to Serial, feeling that it wasn't a full dive into Adnan's story. Considering they are his legal defense team, they're biased as hell in his favor, but I felt they made real good arguments.

They then moved on to other cases of erroneous convictions, and I liked it for what it was. Did I get duped, or are they legit?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Disillusionist posted:

Are there any literary theory podcasts? Almost every book podcast I see is either "talking about nerd poo poo" or interviews of writers.

I'm looking for something that focuses on critical theory applied to literature (or even pop lit) rather than enthusing about X new release.

On a related note, I'm about to begin a career in the publishing industry. Are there any podcasts about publishing from inside the profession? I figure it's a long-shot but worth asking.

Print Run is a podcast by two literary agents, one of whom is becoming an author. If you give to their patreon, you get access to their pay only episodes where they critique first pages, query letters, and the like.

The Query Show by Blair Thornburgh is by one agent, but focuses on queries exclusively.

Writing Excuses focuses on the writing craft and is by some big names in the genre.

Shipping and Handling is another podcast about two agents talking about the business from the inside, and they are very open with their opinions.

What specifically are you looking for?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am personally bummed about Reveal falling from grace, because I was a big fan of it a few years ago. But they kept replaying old stories without any kind of update, just to have something to put out on a weekly basis. I get that journalism takes time to be done right, but in that case, do something else. Interview reporters for their life stories, tell interesting things that happened or that you found while researching a bigger story, or just don’t be tied to it being weekly. Reply All isn’t weekly and is much stronger for it, though I loving hate one of the hosts on it and wish that he would gently caress off forever.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

Is it the smug dick with the awful laugh?

Yes. There’s one host who does all the reporting and interesting work, and one who is a smug rear end in a top hat who has to antagonize said host.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

It’s a good show but that guy consistently gets on my nerves

I am totally unsure what he adds in a positive manner. He's not funny, he doesn't add any insight, he never does any reporting or research... Unless he's editing the episodes or something, I feel like he is an active detriment to Reply All.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Do it ironically posted:

Did someone here recommend Behind the Police, I can’t remember, either way it’s worth a listen on how the police force in America started and how it has always been tied to racism and keeping people of colour down (or dead)

Everything Robert Evans does, from It Could Happen Here to Behind the Bastards to Worst Year Ever to The Women’s War is very listenable.

His cohosts on Worst Year Ever are a little less perfect to my likes, one of them being kind of a freak out guy and one of them being a little less left and a little more resistance than I like, but they’re also both good people and legit care about stuff.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll swing them by her and see what she thinks. We actually settled on It Could Happen Here which she's enjoying, but that's rather short, even if I'd argue it's a touch out of date because 2020 has been completely unpredictable.

Robert’s commentary on what has been happening thus far this year has boiled down to “this is what I was talking about”, in its most simplified form. All it takes is one of these situations to boil over more and it’s what he predicted. He’s done a bunch of reporting on the Portland protest scene in Worst Year Ever. Give it a listen if you want some more.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

I just listened to a 4-part series on the Hell's Angels by the Cult Podcast https://www.cultpodcastshow.com/, can recommend. It's three comedians, two women one guy, one of the women tells the story Dave Anthony-style, while the other two chip in with jokes. That being said sadly the two comedians are not on the level of The Dollop's Gareth, especially the dude is dumb as gently caress, pardon my french. Also not funny. Actually the one funny person is the woman who reads it all, the second woman barely says anything, at least in the four episodes I listened to. Anyway, give it a try, the info is solid, and sometimes there's a chuckle.

You kinda had me at first but then kinda drove the recommendation plane into the tarmac midway through there.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

CBC's "Someone Knows Something" first season was pretty good as a true crime podcast.

I tried that one but it felt like it was getting into the super annoying “this case is super deep but we aren’t going to actually find anything out” zone of unsolved true crime podcasts that at the time felt to be omnipresent. That may have been just how I was vibing with it at the time. That said, does someone knows something get better?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Anyone having trouble with apple podcast app after updating to 14.5? I am and it's loving infuriating. Episodes and shows not visible in my library, but if I know their name I can search for them and find them that way

The apple podcast app is potentially the worst podcast app

Most people I have seen on SA talking about podcasts use Pocket Cast or Overcast. I’m an Overcast person.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stuff they don’t want you to know is a fairly shallow and non-controversial spooky poo poo podcast that hits all topics, but never goes hugely deep into them. They might fill some time in your schedule, though? Also, there have been some good stuff on Strange Arrivals, a podcast series that dove into the Betty and Barney hill abduction, then the rendleshem forest close encounter, and did a fairly good job of not going all crystal-waving true believer.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Famethrowa posted:

Hello From the Magic Tavern is a pretty lovely listen. Light improv show where a normal guy interviews fantasy creatures. Very funny and cheers me up instantly.

Did they ever stop being fixated on the punchline to drat near every joke being “I have multiple buttholes”?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The first episode gets published when enough people pay the ransom? That uh sounds like a heck of a pitch, is this person at all funny or good at podcasting? I don’t quite follow why people are signing up to support this person without anything to show them what they’re supporting.

Also the name kinda blows, its got a lot of people already using it…

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

What is your podcast about

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mrfart posted:

Can’t even find it on overcast. Just a bunch of religious podcasts with the same name.

they're still holding their own podcast hostage until enough people pay their Patreon afaik

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

Ugh. Do they have the cache to do this?

That's the part I don't understand

Who the gently caress are these guys to pull this kind of grift off, that dude in the thread here seems to like them from one guy's previous work, but I would personally want to be able to listen to a little bit to know if I would like these people's senses of humor and speaking voices

I have issues with voices and mouth sounds, so listening to a dude with the r-to-w speech impediment or a really wet, moist voice drives me up the wall, I had to stop listening to QAnon Anonymous because of that

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vinny Possum posted:

Anyone recommendations for podcasts about all the crazy cultural, political, and religious stuff going on in the late 60's and the 70s?

Heaven’s gate was a good podcast about the cult and is very of its time, and covers a lot of growth through that time period

Blowback did a season on the cuban missile crisis and the us in that time period

Gangster capitalism has done a season on the nra through the 70s and 80s, as well as one on the falwells and liberty university

Norcoland was a very interesting true crime period piece about a small town in cali in 1980 and a huge bank robbery

The dollop, behind the bastards, and just about any “wacky stories from history” podcast has done some poo poo from the 70s and 80s

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mrfart posted:

This is weird, I already listened to this season a couple of weeks ago, but under another name?
It really didn't make much of an impact on me apparently, it took me a couple of minutes into the first episode before a realized it :)

Had the same response as you concerning the ending.

Hahahahahahaha they are slapping the serial name on other podcasts now like it’s a horror franchise that is dying

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I personally am super tired of stuff like patreon shoutouts

I don’t want to hear ten minutes of injokes and worship of the podcast hosts on knowledge fight or deadlock or the dollop or whatever else, gently caress off

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thrilling adventure hour and superego might both be in the ballpark of the sort of thing you’d enjoy, if you want fast paced comedy with word play

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Itunes used to have a section called "itunes U" where educators could upload their class recordings, and I remember listening to several meteorology and earth science courses back in college

Seems it shut down in 2021, very cool and good

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

I'm looking for a new RPG podcast to listen to. I've listened to Neoscum and Not another D&D Podcast in the past, but Neoscum is defunct and NADDP seems too cute for me now. Any big hitters in that genre currently going on? Maybe with a less "tea and cookie" and more like "coffee and sniffing glue" vibe.

Dimension 20, critical role, brian posehn’s nerd poker…

https://bookriot.com/best-dnd-podcasts/

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have an actual-play podcast to recommend that has little to no metagaming? Just focused on immersion in the story, world, and characters?

I love the idea of listening to games unfold, but I have zero interest in hearing a group of friends I don't know goof around with each other in that context.

I think you are looking for audiobooks, homie

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

111723_2 posted:

another item to add to the list of things somethingawful lacks: a somethingawful podcast

Why are you like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

Because they want people to give them attention, as you are doing now. Also, profound mental illness, so unless you want to end up named in a court filing by a crazy person, probably best to just not engage.

I doubt they have profound mental illness with the sheer amount of money they have dropped on the forums in the past period of time

Attentionseeking sure, but hey, I still want to hear that dude’s justification for spending hundreds if not thousands here to just get instabanned every time