Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Nude posted:

Also, anything similar to The F Plus? Like a group of people who read odd stuff on the internet or somewhere else.

You'd probably like The Dollop. Two comedians: one researches a bizarre story from history (or sometimes current events) and tells it to the other. There's enough where I can listen to a new one every day.

If you're curious, here are a few great options:

Current Events/Subcultures
"Purity Balls"
"Competitive Endurance Tickling"
"Ghosts"

History
"Dolphin"
"Jackson Cheese"
"Hugh Glass"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
They are all great episodes but I can't believe you didn't mention The Rube.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I typed it out, but took it off. People get overwhelmed by choices.

But yes, absolutely listen to The Rube, it's insane.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Franchescanado posted:

You'd probably like The Dollop. Two comedians: one researches a bizarre story from history (or sometimes current events) and tells it to the other. There's enough where I can listen to a new one every day.

If you're curious, here are a few great options:

Current Events/Subcultures
"Purity Balls"
"Competitive Endurance Tickling"
"Ghosts"

History
"Dolphin"
"Jackson Cheese"
"Hugh Glass"

I just listened to Dolphin, that was hilarious. I for some reason put them off, but I'm glad I gave them a shot; my sides... they hurt.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know of something like a podcast version of The Daily Show/The Nightly Show/Last Week Tonight? I would prefer either short daily episodes (~15 minutes) or weekly, since I only have 30-45 minutes a day to listen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

General Ironicus posted:

Campaign is a 40+ episode campaign playing Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, and it's the best actual play podcast being made right now. I say this as a person who loves the one I make and listens to plenty of others: http://www.oneshotpodcast.com/category/campaign/campaign-podcast/

A scumbag smuggler who is probably illiterate, a bounty hunter with a romance novel addiction and no regard for human life, and an ex clone trooper/drug-addicted ghost hunter try to raise a five-year-old orphan as they run from the budding Empire. It includes a roughly even mix of firefights, deception, diversions, and breadsticks. The crew is made of Chicago-trained improvisers and it carries over in a great way.

Oh wow I love One Shot and somehow never heard about this (or heard about this and forgot).

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Nude posted:

Also, anything similar to The F Plus? Like a group of people who read odd stuff on the internet or somewhere else.

Group, no, but check out Lou Reads. Like The F Plus the material is weird internet stuff, but the difference is the reader is a single man and the stuff he reads can lean towards disgusting (an episode has him reading from a forum of cannibalism fetishists), so beware.

Also he doesn't make snide comments, so the defense all comes from you.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

hooah posted:

Does anyone know of something like a podcast version of The Daily Show/The Nightly Show/Last Week Tonight? I would prefer either short daily episodes (~15 minutes) or weekly, since I only have 30-45 minutes a day to listen.

Skepticrat focuses more on politics and is more humorous, on the media is more serious and focuses in the intersection of politics nedia and culture. Both are 1 hour weekly.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Any good podcasts for fathers? I've been looking around but they're either lovely quality or the hosts are boring. Looking for good, engaging content about real problems with intelligent hosts. Hopefully beyond more than "lol here's how to change a diaper".

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

Any good podcasts for fathers? I've been looking around but they're either lovely quality or the hosts are boring. Looking for good, engaging content about real problems with intelligent hosts. Hopefully beyond more than "lol here's how to change a diaper".

Slate has a podcast called "mom and dad are fighting" that's about parenting topics. I'm not a parent so I have no idea if it's good, but slate is generally high quality.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has anyone been using the Howl app that Earwolf/Wolfpop released? I keep downloading episodes of a show to listen to later, but they don't end up actually in the library. It's like they auto-delete or something.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

General Ironicus posted:

Campaign is a 40+ episode campaign playing Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, and it's the best actual play podcast being made right now. I say this as a person who loves the one I make and listens to plenty of others: http://www.oneshotpodcast.com/category/campaign/campaign-podcast/

A scumbag smuggler who is probably illiterate, a bounty hunter with a romance novel addiction and no regard for human life, and an ex clone trooper/drug-addicted ghost hunter try to raise a five-year-old orphan as they run from the budding Empire. It includes a roughly even mix of firefights, deception, diversions, and breadsticks. The crew is made of Chicago-trained improvisers and it carries over in a great way.

I'll check that one out. I'll check yours out too if you link it.

CelestialScribe posted:

Tested.com has plenty of dads, which mainly consists of the old whiskey media crew (video game/tech people). I've listened to an episode and liked it although I'm not a dad so your mileage may vary.

Rick fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 25, 2015

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Rick posted:

I'll check that one out. I'll check yours out too if you link it.

BLAMMO http://feats.podbean.com/

Featuring a 70+ session fantasy campaign that's starting to wrap up, interspersed with one-shots and miniseries' of various other games. I recommend Goblin Quest, Night Witches, and World Wide Wrestling.

It also has a dedicated thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561713

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I love Hardcore History and will get the backlog as soon as money allows, but in the meantime I began to listen to the History of the English Language and it's really pretty great. I like the guy's style of narration and his mixing of linguistics and history goes down well. I tried Revolutions but I feel like I'd get more if I just read a book. Or if the dude literally posted up his scripts and I just read those I'd like it better, he's not a very engaging speaker imo.

I'm looking for podcasts on 3 differing subjects:

Either a good music history podcast. At this point I'll take any genre, but specifically underground punk/post punk or a History of Hip-hop, if such a thing exists. Ideally, it'd be people who know the subject dissecting some genre or album and listening to the music with that in mind.

Or a show on animals or general zoology would be great. I've always like the BBC nature documentaries, so something like that in audio form could be cool.

Lastly, a podcast, whether in English or French, that talks about current modern French politics on a national level.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I love Hardcore History and will get the backlog as soon as money allows, but in the meantime I began to listen to the History of the English Language and it's really pretty great. I like the guy's style of narration and his mixing of linguistics and history goes down well. I tried Revolutions but I feel like I'd get more if I just read a book. Or if the dude literally posted up his scripts and I just read those I'd like it better, he's not a very engaging speaker imo.

I'm looking for podcasts on 3 differing subjects:

Either a good music history podcast. At this point I'll take any genre, but specifically underground punk/post punk or a History of Hip-hop, if such a thing exists. Ideally, it'd be people who know the subject dissecting some genre or album and listening to the music with that in mind.

Or a show on animals or general zoology would be great. I've always like the BBC nature documentaries, so something like that in audio form could be cool.

Lastly, a podcast, whether in English or French, that talks about current modern French politics on a national level.

You might try Sound Opinions. It's NPRish at times and definitely rockist but they do dissect a few classic albums a year and it's a good way to get exposed to stuff from basically the 50s on. That might not be exactly what you're looking for, sorry.

General Ironicus posted:

BLAMMO http://feats.podbean.com/

Featuring a 70+ session fantasy campaign that's starting to wrap up, interspersed with one-shots and miniseries' of various other games. I recommend Goblin Quest, Night Witches, and World Wide Wrestling.

It also has a dedicated thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561713

Awesome, thanks, I'll check it out!

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 27, 2015

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rick posted:

You might try Sound Opinions. It's NPRish at times and definitely rockist but they do dissect a few classic albums a year and it's a good way to get exposed to stuff from basically the 50s on. That might not be exactly what you're looking for, sorry.

I'll look into it. Pretty much I just finished reading Our Band Could Be Your Life and I'd love to have that in podcast form.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Ongoing History of New Music, by Alan Cross, is an excellent series. He's not so much hip-hop, more punk/grunge/rock, but he's a good speaker and has some really good insights. Unfortunately it's a little difficult to queue up since it's not exactly a podcast (he's been doing it on radio for like two decades). I'll look for a good source to stream them - I think they're all on YouTube but that's not a great method of delivery.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

The Ongoing History of New Music, by Alan Cross, is an excellent series. He's not so much hip-hop, more punk/grunge/rock, but he's a good speaker and has some really good insights. Unfortunately it's a little difficult to queue up since it's not exactly a podcast (he's been doing it on radio for like two decades). I'll look for a good source to stream them - I think they're all on YouTube but that's not a great method of delivery.

That could work since I usually listen to podcasts while cleaning. Punk and grunge are so my scene so that sounds like a great fit for now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Props to people who recommended We Hate Movies, I was initially hesitant since so many of these type of podcasts seem to just be lame quirky white guys doing dumb voices and poo poo, and it did take a few episodes for WHM to take since it's still not totally my style, but yeah it's a pretty entertaining fun movie podcast and they know their films pretty well. Just hate that iTunes disappears old episodes of podcasts in the feed, adding them manually would be a pain.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
A friend who put me onto Harmontown recommended Erin McGathy's two podcasts, This Feels Terrible and Human Conversation. The former has been pretty good, quite reminiscent of Pete Holmes' You Made It Weird (probably helps that the first ep I tried was the one with him on). But the latter has been incredibly dry and dull based on the first and last episodes.

What's the deal?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Anyone here listen to Red Bar Radio? It's been getting really weird recently

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

landgrabber posted:

Anyone here listen to Red Bar Radio? It's been getting really weird recently

Haven't listened in years. Mike just got too obnoxious for me to listen to anymore.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, I didn't listen to Last Podcast on the Left for a month after deciding I was not enjoying myself, and just checked it today. They did three episodes on 9/11. I figured I'd give the first one a listen, see if it was any good, and they were actually covering some pretty cogent points, like immediately trying to debunk the loving "jet fuel cant melt steel beams" meme. So, I kept listening, and I'm reminded of why I loving hate Henry Zubrowski. He's not funny, and when he gets mad and worked up, he starts stuttering, and the noise he makes when he's stuttering is annoying as gently caress. His voices are annoying as gently caress, too, and they're all pretty racist. So, I have two questions.

He's on some Adult Swim series. Is he at all enjoyable on that, or is he just an all-around waste? Second, the other two hosts said something about doing another podcast without Zubrowski called Abraham Lincoln's Top Hat. Anyone ever listened to that or Cave Comedy Radio? Is any of it any good?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rotinaj posted:

So, I didn't listen to Last Podcast on the Left for a month after deciding I was not enjoying myself, and just checked it today. They did three episodes on 9/11. I figured I'd give the first one a listen, see if it was any good, and they were actually covering some pretty cogent points, like immediately trying to debunk the loving "jet fuel cant melt steel beams" meme. So, I kept listening, and I'm reminded of why I loving hate Henry Zubrowski. He's not funny, and when he gets mad and worked up, he starts stuttering, and the noise he makes when he's stuttering is annoying as gently caress. His voices are annoying as gently caress, too, and they're all pretty racist. So, I have two questions.

He's on some Adult Swim series. Is he at all enjoyable on that, or is he just an all-around waste? Second, the other two hosts said something about doing another podcast without Zubrowski called Abraham Lincoln's Top Hat. Anyone ever listened to that or Cave Comedy Radio? Is any of it any good?

He does Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell and it's ok but not great in general, he really has no factor in it either way.

I also would like to know the other podcasts because yea Henry is the fuckin pits, any podcast without him becoming a weird sputtery nerd shouting about how mad he is like a slightly racist Speed Buggy would be good.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He does Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell and it's ok but not great in general, he really has no factor in it either way.

I also would like to know the other podcasts because yea Henry is the fuckin pits, any podcast without him becoming a weird sputtery nerd shouting about how mad he is like a slightly racist Speed Buggy would be good.

Turns out that Cave Comedy Radio is a whole network of podcasts like Earwolf or TWiT. They've got a shitload of podcasts, and Zubrowski is only on Last Podcast on the Left. There's some on sex, some on politics, some on general comedy... I'm gonna give Abe Lincoln's Top Hat a try.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey folks. I like the Giant Bomb/Beastcast, Team GFB Radio, Hello from the Magic Tavern, and Mysterious Universe. And kind of Uhh Yeah Dude and NNF. What else would I like?

e: I hate Harmontown because I can't get past everyone's wrong opinions on everything.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Bogart posted:

Hey folks. I like the Giant Bomb/Beastcast, Team GFB Radio, Hello from the Magic Tavern, and Mysterious Universe. And kind of Uhh Yeah Dude and NNF. What else would I like?

e: I hate Harmontown because I can't get past everyone's wrong opinions on everything.

Have you tried The Dollop? American History podcast, hosted by two comedians. If you know the Giant Bomb folks you've probably also heard of the McElroys, who host My Brother, My Brother, and Me. Try that too if you haven't.

Nocor
Apr 13, 2013
Updating my current podcasts
RPG Games: system mastery, Critjuice
Game design: Drive to work

Other: nerdette podcast, Radio Lab, Cracked podcast, Treknologic, NPR news hour

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Are there any good Japanese podcasts? I've tried several but their recording material is always poo poo and they tend to talk in loving honorifics all the time. I want some laid back poo poo, or at least something actually interesting instead of these guys just respectfully thanking their listeners all the time.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Started Limetown, a fictional multi-part mystery in the style of Serial. Anybody want to weigh in as to whether it's worth it? Seems very well produced...

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Nocor posted:

Updating my current podcasts
RPG Games: system mastery, Critjuice
Game design: Drive to work

Other: nerdette podcast, Radio Lab, Cracked podcast, Treknologic, NPR news hour

Roguelike Radio's great if you're into the genre. They're good at analyzing games and talk about interesting concepts.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Started Limetown, a fictional multi-part mystery in the style of Serial. Anybody want to weigh in as to whether it's worth it? Seems very well produced...

I think it's decent. They've only put out two episodes so far so it's not exactly a big time commitment to get caught up. I hope they increase the episode frequency as its easy to forget what happens with a month and a half between episodes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ChetReckless posted:

I think it's decent. They've only put out two episodes so far so it's not exactly a big time commitment to get caught up. I hope they increase the episode frequency as its easy to forget what happens with a month and a half between episodes.

Isn't it only a 6 episode mini series?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Isn't it only a 6 episode mini series?

Seven parts, apparently. Which is probably about right for something like this. I just found it hard to get back into due to the time elapsed and I spent the first 10 minutes trying to remember what the heck was going on. It's still worthwhile, though.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What's a good podcast to fall asleep to? Sometimes I like just gentle, inane talking to really knock me out.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I fall asleep to stuff you should know sometimes, and it's nice background chatter. Josh and Chuck have a pretty calm way of speaking, and there usually aren't distracting sound effects or music or anything (although the transition theme into emails might wake you up).

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What's a good podcast to fall asleep to? Sometimes I like just gentle, inane talking to really knock me out.

I think Cecil's voice from Welcome to Nightvale is pretty gentle and soothing most of the time. Not sure what kind of dreams you'd end up having, though.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Pod F Tompkast and Comedy Bang Bang are my go-tos

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My friend pointed me towards Switched On Pop, which is a half-hour show where two musicians look into the musical structure and styles of a specific pop song, for example "Someone Like You" by Adele, and how she musically captures nostalgia, melancholy, and other things happening under-the-surface. It's very fun, and I highly recommend it for people who like music in general.

The thing is, I'm not the biggest fan of top 40 pop. Is there any other podcasts that do something similar, but maybe for classic albums or classic songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

My friend pointed me towards Switched On Pop, which is a half-hour show where two musicians look into the musical structure and styles of a specific pop song, for example "Someone Like You" by Adele, and how she musically captures nostalgia, melancholy, and other things happening under-the-surface. It's very fun, and I highly recommend it for people who like music in general.

The thing is, I'm not the biggest fan of top 40 pop. Is there any other podcasts that do something similar, but maybe for classic albums or classic songs?

This sounds awesome. Definitely going to look into it. There's been some talk of classical music podcast but I can't remember what page that was on.