Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

drainpipe posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a podcast where each episode is just a medium dive into a random interesting thing? All my podcasts are fairly specialized so I was hoping to expand my horizons.

I realize there must be many such podcasts, so I’d prefer it to be lighter in subject matters (although not necessarily comedic) and around 1 hr or less in length.

Edit: the closest podcast like that that I currently listen to is Odd Lots, but that’s fairly focused on business and economics.

Underunderstood might be the podcast you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Can i get some recommendations for single person podcasts, like Dan Carlin?

As others have said, The History of Rome and Revolutions by Mike Duncan are the gold standard.

The History of Philosophy (without any gaps) is mostly one dude talking with occasional interviews every ten or twenty episodes, explicitly inspired by Mike Duncan.

The History of the Crusades is entirely one woman speaking. The first 10 or 20 episodes are terribly recorded, but she gets a better mic.

And finally The Constant: A History of Getting Things Wrong, one of my favorites that everyone should listen to, is one dude talking with only very occasional interviews and guest voices. It's probably the most reminiscent of Dan Carlin on this list in terms of delivery and breadth of subjects. I believe he's referenced boxing at some points, but no boxing analogies.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

The Real Story of the Terre Haute Bathroom Club is one of the most deranged and wonderful things I've ever heard. Dogcatcher Inutaro also.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

Causality is really, really good.

WTYP is good, but the aforementioned banter is polarizing. I've also found that their reliance on slides and diagrams makes them better YouTube viewing than podcast listening.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

so i have a request that's kind of broad

i'm looking for a podcast that's made up of people (3 or more) that's very laid back, and fun. like friends just shooting the poo poo type thing. it can be about comedy, t.v., film, anime, video games, current events, whatever.

You want the Boonta Vista Podcast.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

Castro is what I switched to after the sad, slow death of Instacast.

Unfortunately, it's very unclear if Castro is starting down the same road of sad, slow app death. But it's a good app (for iOS, at least) if you have a combination of shows that you want to listen as they come out, shows that can just go in the queue, and shows that you want to start at the beginning that are older than your queue, owing to that it separates your inbox (available episodes) and queue and you can have per-feed settings.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

If you're on iOS, Castro lets you just fetch any episode off of any podcast feed and manually add it to your queue whether you're subscribed or not. You can also "sideload" in basically just any mp3 file as if it's an episode of something as well, but that's a "premium" feature.

Sadly, Castro may or may not be dying a slow death of neglect by its owners, so its time may (or may not) be limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i'm looking for comedy podcasts with the relaxed low tempo vibe of boonta vista, and/or the bizarre demon chemistry of bigsofttitty.png. australian accents arent a requirement

Try on some Three Bean Salad and see how that feels. Make sure you get the one with Mike Wozniak, Henry Paker, and Ben Partridge and not the similarly named one about ABBA, which was more confusing than fit was funny.