Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Varicelli posted:

Probably been asked before, but I'm looking for some Leftist podcasts / vodcasts that aren't rife with faggotry, feminism, and rampant self-satisfaction. Think Rachel Maddow.. I guess.

Also, not sure if this is the place to ask, but what can I use to sync podcasts between my iPhone, my desktop and laptop (both 7). I don't have a particularly fast download speed. Please don't suggest the official Podcasts app.

You could delete the podcast app, which will restore the podcast functionality back to the iPhone music app, and use iTunes. You'll have to use Home Share to share one of your computer's libraries with the other to make sure the two computers are synced, but the iPhone/iTunes sync will be seemless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TheJoker138 posted:

Ok, so I got a job driving a while back, so I'm out on deliveries for hours every day. This means I've quickly cut through the backlogs of all of my podcasts, and even eaten through some others I just started listening to. So I'm looking for two things, one is a very specific podcast I knew of and then forgot about and can't find again, and the other is just some general recommendations.

First off, someone suggested this podcast in the Night Vale thread a while back, but I lost it. It was a radio play style podcast that did both adaptations of old short stories like Lovecraft stuff, and original things. It was straight up horror focused, for the most part anyway, and not as jokey as something like Thrilling Adventure Hour. If anyone has any idea what this might be I'd love to know.

Second, here is a list of the things I currently listen to and enjoy. If anyone could recommend some stuff that they think I might like based on these that would be great.

Welcome to Nightvale, Thrilling Adventure Hour, Giant Bombcast, The Steve Austin Show, Talk is Jericho, Skeptoid. Any recommendations?

You might like Big O and Dukes, they talk wrestling sometimes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah I wondered what the "if you can stomach it" part was but assumed it was related to his politics or something.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I tried Adventure Zone and Friends at the Table based on this thread. They're kind of polar opposites of gaming but both good.

Friends at the Table seems both mechanics focused, and taking the roleplay serious (although not so serious to not have some jokes). Adventure Zone, D&D is just sort of a loose anchor for them to goof around with each other, but it's really enjoyable goofing around.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

General Ironicus posted:

Campaign is a 40+ episode campaign playing Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, and it's the best actual play podcast being made right now. I say this as a person who loves the one I make and listens to plenty of others: http://www.oneshotpodcast.com/category/campaign/campaign-podcast/

A scumbag smuggler who is probably illiterate, a bounty hunter with a romance novel addiction and no regard for human life, and an ex clone trooper/drug-addicted ghost hunter try to raise a five-year-old orphan as they run from the budding Empire. It includes a roughly even mix of firefights, deception, diversions, and breadsticks. The crew is made of Chicago-trained improvisers and it carries over in a great way.

I'll check that one out. I'll check yours out too if you link it.

CelestialScribe posted:

Any good podcasts for fathers? I've been looking around but they're either lovely quality or the hosts are boring. Looking for good, engaging content about real problems with intelligent hosts. Hopefully beyond more than "lol here's how to change a diaper".

Tested.com has plenty of dads, which mainly consists of the old whiskey media crew (video game/tech people). I've listened to an episode and liked it although I'm not a dad so your mileage may vary.

Rick fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 25, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I love Hardcore History and will get the backlog as soon as money allows, but in the meantime I began to listen to the History of the English Language and it's really pretty great. I like the guy's style of narration and his mixing of linguistics and history goes down well. I tried Revolutions but I feel like I'd get more if I just read a book. Or if the dude literally posted up his scripts and I just read those I'd like it better, he's not a very engaging speaker imo.

I'm looking for podcasts on 3 differing subjects:

Either a good music history podcast. At this point I'll take any genre, but specifically underground punk/post punk or a History of Hip-hop, if such a thing exists. Ideally, it'd be people who know the subject dissecting some genre or album and listening to the music with that in mind.

Or a show on animals or general zoology would be great. I've always like the BBC nature documentaries, so something like that in audio form could be cool.

Lastly, a podcast, whether in English or French, that talks about current modern French politics on a national level.

You might try Sound Opinions. It's NPRish at times and definitely rockist but they do dissect a few classic albums a year and it's a good way to get exposed to stuff from basically the 50s on. That might not be exactly what you're looking for, sorry.

General Ironicus posted:

BLAMMO http://feats.podbean.com/

Featuring a 70+ session fantasy campaign that's starting to wrap up, interspersed with one-shots and miniseries' of various other games. I recommend Goblin Quest, Night Witches, and World Wide Wrestling.

It also has a dedicated thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561713

Awesome, thanks, I'll check it out!

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 27, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What's a good podcast to fall asleep to? Sometimes I like just gentle, inane talking to really knock me out.

This is what Sleep With Me is designed to do and it works pretty well for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

The Dollop, No Such Thing As A Fish

Edit: For casual information and more comedy based, The Smartest Man In The World

I was attracted to the Dollop because of the length, lately they've all been an hour plus (but it's good so I have kept listening).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
They also do CAMPAIGN which is really good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm looking for a podcast where funny people don't like and possibly rant about Batman v Superman.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
E: Well I was just not gonna post about that but phone posting, hahah.

Brocktoon posted:

Are there any podcasts that does deep dives in the development and lore of video game series? Watch Out for Fireballs is okay, but more about personal nostalgia and I found Cane and Rinse boring.

How about Retronauts?

It is a podcast that finished for good like three years ago, but it was early to the podcast game so there will be a lot of episodes to go through (provided they haven't taken it down ).

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 30, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Oh man, I had no idea. I guess I should have known better than to think it was permanent when they said it was canceled since it wasn't even the first time they canceled it and brought it back later.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

So I am looking for other gaming podcasts. my criteria are 1: No longer than an hour to an hour a half an episode. 2: Somethings that is a bit more than "This week in gaming news" and 3: No Gamergators.

Same thing with comics, but more of a focus on non Marvel and DC books.

I feel like most of the podcasts that do #2 don't do #1 well. Sometimes IGN stumbles upon a crew with good chemistry on their podcasts, that are typically kept around the hour mark but these seem to not stay together for very long.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

So I figured out what happened here, I had a feed that itunes says was still good but wasn't ever adding any new episodes. Which sucks, but, I finally fixed it and hey I have roughly 3 years worth of good retro video game podcasts to listen to now.

CzarChasm posted:

Plumbing the Death Star And from the same people as the last two on this list, a podcast where they ask the questions that don't really get answered in pop culture. Like "Is Batman a failure?" "Is Jonathan Kent from Man of Steel a bad father?" "Does John Hammond even understand what a theme park is supposed to be?" I'll be honest, I really wanted to like this podcast, but the hosts all tended to be a little shouty for my liking. You can't really argue with the width and breadth of the topics they cover, so if you find a topic you like, you'll probably enjoy at least that episode.

I don't listen to every episode they make just due to already having a library of podcasts that I'll never get through, but, when there's a major "nerd" movie out, these guys always come straight from the midnight release and then talk about the movie in a generally funny way. And since they're usually the first to market because they're from New Zealand or some poo poo, which means I can listen to the podcast on my way home from whatever movie I just saw, which is especially nice when I make the 40 minute drive to the IMAX.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 28, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kaptain K posted:

Somebody recommend me a daily(ish) podcast that's at least an hour long. I used to listen to Adam Carolla and KATG every day but both of those lost their appeal years ago and I kinda miss having daily consistent content.

Mike O'Meara (of Don and Mike fame) has a pretty radio showish podcast. His politics are democrat but they try to keep politics out of the show and mostly succeed (if anything I wish he'd talk about it more). He's gotten old so some of the issues of him just not getting modern tech or culture are somewhat frustrating, and the show can get formulaic but the show is still overall good to me and at times gets me rolling.

Not sure if this show works for someone who didn't grow up with Don and Mike but it's stood the time with me whereas Adam and KATG did not.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

I'm a huge Don and Mike fan, but I just couldn't get into the show when Don left. Are Robbay and Buzz still on the podcast?

Robb still is with the show and he's just as Robb as ever. Mike does the news now.

Buzz was with them for a bit but they had some drama and he ended up going and doing his own podcast.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It is funny though how I'll hear an ad for something on a million podcasts and never feel compelled to buy but like if the Bombcast talks about it I usually at least consider giving it a try (other than Squarespace). I am sure that proves some sort of marketing theory somewhere.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

I do not know Bombcast but i'm guessing its something to do with really liking/respect the hosts heaps and heaps?
Saying that, I have listened to podcasts for over a decade now and have never once bought anything even though I really like some of the hosts. Hm.

It's a combo of respecting the hosts and selling stuff in a way that actually resonates with me, which is almost as an anti-ad. "This is dumb, but it's dumb in the way that you like."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Snappy Zings posted:

If you're one of those dang millennials that use Snapchat, you might enjoy my friend's and my podcast The Snappy Hour. Here's a link to my post in the PYP thread all about it. Even if you don't like Snapchat, it's still quite fun. Come for the funny jokes and snaps, stay for the Jager bombs and stupid sound bytes. Enjoy :)

I like it. I didn't really think an audio show about a visual medium would work but I've listened to your last few and been entertained.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If the app supports subscription via RSS feeds it should, as long as the SoundCloud user makes sure to set it up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Weird, I can add the rss feed but no episodes show. Idk add it and try

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:284558916/sounds.rss

I'm guessing the soundcloud files weren't added to the RSS playlist.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Azathoth posted:

It's the divide between podcasts that put out hours of content each week vs. ones that release less than an hour and do so every couple weeks. I prefer shorter, less frequent, but higher quality updates but I get that the economics of it mean that, if you want to make a living doing it, you've gotta churn out hours per week of content. On those frequent update podcasts, no one's really gonna try to power through their back catalog, and those seem to be the most popular kind of podcast.

That said, I always start at the beginning, but if the first episode is bad and it's not narrative, I'll pick a recent episode to see if it's worth at least cherry picking good episodes. A good example of this, for me at least, is Astonishing Legends, which is great but their first dozen or so episodes are...just not that good, and they were clearly figuring out a lot as they went along, but after that, they're easily the most entertaining of the "paranormal" podcasts that I've found.

My rule with podcasts is that they get one and a half episodes to hook me. If they're narrative, I'll power through the first episode no matter what and start the second episode, and if it hasn't given me a reason to stick around by then, I'm done, same process for non-narrative ones. The few times I've ignored the rule because someone said "OMG you just HAVE to keep going, it gets good I promise", I can say without exception that it really does not. Not saying things need to be great out of the gate or even have good production values, but if the performances stink and the writing is bad or the hosts annoying or they try to be funny and fail repeatedly, that's not something that's gonna change all that much.

It's probably my general dislike for "2-3 people banter aimlessly with each other about some topic" podcasts where it's literally just listening to people trying way too hard to be funny or interesting until it just gets a bit sad, but that's how I view it.

This is the problem that the iOS 11 Podcast app is trying to solve by allowing creators to specify whether they're narrative vs episodic, and it then presents the episodes to the new user in a way to make sure they're getting what the show creator wants first impressions to be first.

Too bad they hosed everything else up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There is an actual play podcast thread in Trad Games: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3743698&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#pti21

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a way to queue up all of a podcast's episodes in order of release date in the iOS Podcasts app? I want to start listening to Adventure Zone from the beginning, but I can't figure out how to just make it play all, or how to download an entire podcast's archive.

If you click the three dots next to the “continue playing” menu near the top of the podcast page, there will be settings there. I’m there you can set it to play in sequential order. I think you need to be on 11.1 or later for continuous play to work.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Nude posted:

Seconding this would love a podcast that goes in depth on game design in general.

Modifier does this. I think there's also another podcast on the One Shot network that does this as well.

Also, the Pathfinder Academy appropriately enough, covers the rules of Pathfinder, which may or may not be what you're people are looking for. I actually enjoy the podcast even though I no longer play Pathfinder very often.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

theironjef posted:

Yeah, there's another rules review show on One Shot Network. It's System Mastery. Plus they're goons. I think their names are Grnegsnspm and me.

I think there actually is or was an additional "how to design games" show on the network too, lol, because I was not talking about yours, I think James had one as well (which is actually how I found your show because of an interview about heartbreakers). But this was an oversight on my part because System Mastery is definitely great and deconstructs both good and bad games in a funny way, and if anything the bad games teach more about what makes a game good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I had no idea what the term meant either so host and audience were on the same page.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Not to mention one brother lived in LA and one lives in Austin so it’s not exactly like they’re all moral examples holed up in a West Virginia apartment.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

a dozen swans posted:

Totally the opposite. I'm a big radio fan and there's some really good radio out there. It's silly to complain about unprofessionalism in an amateur medium, but if you're an amateur surely you love what you do, right? I feel like the rough around the edges stuff is basically just disrespectful to the audience and their limited time.

(ps criminal is one of the best in the biz)

A problem I have is that I actually think poor audio quality is funny. One of my podcasts, by rule, is done in front of one of the most powerful consumer-level fans you can buy.

I tend to be pretty selective though to who I give links to, to people who hopefully Get It but randoms still seem to find it somehow and I pity them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’ve used Downcast for years but the regular crashes when plugged into car audio are annoying. What are recommendations for iOS podcast apps?

I like Castro a lot, although how much you like it will depend on how compatible your listening habits are with its system of presenting podcasts because it's not flexible beyond that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Imagined posted:

I like when a podcast tries to lend its popularity to a new podcast by subbing one of the new podcast's episodes into the popular podcast's feed. 99% Invisible does this all the time and so far I've never ended up subscribing to any of the shows they've promoted this way.

I do not like it but then again it’s how I found Alice Isn’t Dead. Although then again the rest of the Nightvale productions have not been for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

Snap Judgements Presents: Spooked.

True scary stories told by the people who experienced them on a wide range of topics, from ghosts to kidnappings. It only airs around Halloween time so they can be selective about which stories make the cut, and the production values are really good.

I just don't usually find ghost stories scary usually although Snap Judgement has managed to once or twice scare me over the years so I am gonna try this out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
So I'm at a part of the year where I need to spit out a lot of podcasts while being in front of a computer screen that has a lot of information on it, and not have to spend a ton of time editing them. In the past I've just plugged my mic in via USB directly into my macbook, fired up audacity, record a bunch, edited a bunch and uploaded them all to podbean without a problem.

Apparently there is an audacity bug with Catalina though that doesn't allow it to recognize external mics.

Is there another good free app for doing this? Garageband doesn't like you to have a bunch of projects open at once and I edit in a different room than I record so stopping to edit each one is a big pain. Not to mention that apparently the tempo of my outro music is wrong so it has come out all squished.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I have purchased episodes based on previews before. I’m sorry.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Athanatos posted:

Are there any general tech news podcasts anyone can recommend? Something like the old CNET 404 one. A lot of the ones I'm finding are heavy on video games, or way too specific on just PC stuff.

I'd like to hear some recs as well.

Well, I wish I could still recommend Tested because it's a good tech podcast but unfortunately it's also a bad pop culture podcast and these days that's generally the focus of the show.

Brad & Will Made a Tech Pod actually doesn't get into games too often considering the hosts (Will Smith and Bradshoemaker) but they only focus on one topic a week and it's rarely about new stuff. I like it because I'm old but it doesn't really touch on cutting edge stuff often.

I like Shades of Brown a lot but yeah it does end up rather computer or video games focused at time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

I can't believe the medium that consisted of single dudes breathing into mics in their bathrooms in 2005 has blown the frik up in this way. It's so surreal. Review us on podcast alley!
I have a feeling services like Luminary will be part of a bursted bubble and Google/youtube will scope up the remains.

That's why I--a person with a serious respiratory condition who insists on doing a podcast in my bedroom where half the time I'm trying to keep it down to not disturb--am still doing my thing, making sure the real stays in the art.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Are there any podcasts that are just like anecdotes and horror stories about working on indie film sets? Something kinda like the book "The Disaster Artist", but in podcast form.

I've heard Indie Film Hustle dropped by some of my indie film maker friends, but I haven't had a chance to listen myself. It's apparently pretty much a class on how to get a movie made and exhibited.

I have listened to a few episodes of I've Got A Movie To Make which is Anderson Cowan's (formerly of Loveline) podcast about the making of his own movie last year, and his development of his next movie. It's a bit more focused on his films than general film making, though.

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 17, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Crowetron posted:

I know there's a billion actual play podcasts out there, but does anyone have any recommendations of ones with a bit more of a sci-fi bent to them, like where they're playing Shadowrun or Eclipse Phase or something like that? Ideally something a little loose and joke-y, like Not Another DnD Podcast.

Neoscum, probably. Also if you like Star Wars, the first half of Campaign is Star Wars and it's very very loose and jokey.

There is an AP recommendation thread in TG that might have other answers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743698

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Goddamn does my feed get cluttered with PREVIEW eps sometimes
Just made me unsubscribe from a bunch of podcasts i'd added to try at some point or was planning to get back into :shrug: it gets kinda annoying

The Apple Podcast people have claimed they are working on such a feature, delivering previews or alt content into a side feed that doesn’t disrupt the main, but considering the only feature they have delivered in the last four years is getting bigger cover art in as many places as possible, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I also am a “just stop listening “ person although Adam Carolla and Keith and the Girl I unsubbed from for content reasons.