Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Hearing a thud after John tried to figure out which iPhone he had by standing it up was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazingly Capable
May 7, 2008
Am I the only one who finds Andy funnier than John? I don't like sport and I skip the section every time so it's not for that reason, but poo poo like "The Congressman's Penis" was, in my opinion, infinitely superior than anything John came up with. Also "In the Bin" is my favorite part of every show.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Andy wrote a Year in Review for The Guardian last saturday.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

gently caress YOU CHRIS!
I'm a diehard bugler, and have been listening for over two years now.
I do have a claim to stake though. The Gadaffi Rap from Episode 92 ('Obama wins first preemptive peace prize') was mine, and it remains one of the things of which I'm proudest:

(I wrote the lyrics, but didn't do the remix)

I also had the great privilege of seeing Andy live, doing a preview for a BBC Radio 4 programme that I sadly completely forgot to listen to on transmission (was it ever put on air?) in the autumn of '09. As promised in the podcast, I got two-for-one tickets by turning up with a picture of Florence Nightingale. There were six audience members, total: me, a friend of mine, and four semi-drunk people at a table behind us. Andy soldiered on, though, even though he got heckles from one of the drunkards - it was a great night.

You wrote the Gadaffi Rap?! That's awesome.

Also I am hoping Andy does a full-length The Congressman's Penis. I'd read that. Or the rest of the Marie Antoinette/Winston Churchill fanfiction he wrote. One chapter was not enough!

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Latitude Ocotpus posted:

I personally love Andy's humour, I don't know anything about cricket or understand half the jokes he makes about it but I still think he is hilarious.
Maybe it's because I am British, I'm just used to that kind of humour? I don't know but I've become obsessed with the podcast.

I thought I found him funny because I'm NOT British.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Hearing a thud after John tried to figure out which iPhone he had by standing it up was pretty great.

If only there had been some sort of iPhone cover or protector in that Other-Terrible-poo poo-Buglers-Have-Looked-At list. :(

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Murdoch found out.

hellobuglers posted:

BUGLE NEWS ALERT: The Bugle will be leaving Times Online in the near future. We will do everything we can to keep The Bugle going...

BUGLE NEWS ALERT (cont.): ... To that end, please respond to this poll on our new Facebook page: http://bit.ly/vJ8zFx.

BUGLE NEWS ALERT (cont.): And huge thanks to Times Online for very generously hosting and funding us for more than 4 years.

:(

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
gently caress you Chris Murdoch. :(

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Ugh. What awful news.

I really hope they find a way to keep this going somehow. I'd say it'd be nice to have them go independent and have no content filter, but it really seemed like The Times largely left them alone with the sole exception of that suppressed segment about Max Mosley's Nazi Orgy.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They should get Comedy Central/The Daily Show to sponsor and host it, podcast bandwidth is probably nothing compared to all the video they put up.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Whizbang posted:

They should get Comedy Central/The Daily Show to sponsor and host it, podcast bandwidth is probably nothing compared to all the video they put up.

Yeah, I kinda wondered about that. They could probably market it as a sort of "TDS International" podcast, and they'd probably get a ton more exposure with just one mention of the show on TDS. On the other hand, if they do it under that umbrella, I'd have to imagine that they'd have significantly more constraints on content.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The Bugle should come to an end when Oliver is overthrown in a bloody coup.

Not like this. :negative:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I will happily pay them to continue if that's the way they go.

I'd pay $1 an episode quite happily.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

NITOS FLAME KEEPER posted:

Absolutely. I voted that way in the poll (once I get it to work), and I'd be more than willing to pay for it. I've been in a ton of laughing fits from his show, and I really REALLY don't want to see it end.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Good news for Buglelers and bad news for those goons who despise Jesse Thorne.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

NITOS FLAME KEEPER posted:

On the one hand, I recognize the fact that a dollar for ~45 minutes of the Bugle is a pretty sweet deal compared to some of the other things I piss away money on. On the other hand, if I started doing that for every podcast I enjoyed at least as much, it would really add up.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Poopy Palpy posted:

On the one hand, I recognize the fact that a dollar for ~45 minutes of the Bugle is a pretty sweet deal compared to some of the other things I piss away money on. On the other hand, if I started doing that for every podcast I enjoyed at least as much, it would really add up.

I already pay $50 a year for Giantbomb, and get every god drat rifftrax thing....

:negative:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yay 15 new posts something exciting happening in the world of The Bugle!!

:smith:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

God drat it, Rupert.

The email in 174 was loving amazing. I was listening to it on the bus and having convulsions trying to contain the laughter, while Koreans stared at the weirdo white guy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
All things said, it was a long run. And hilarious all the way through. I hope they have a closing episode this week, and that they find a new venue as soon as possible.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Poopy Palpy posted:

Yeah, but the majority of podcasts are people just chatting straight off the dome (no disrespect, some of them are really good at it) whereas the Bugle is prewritten material by professional comedians and work clearly goes into it. I almost feel bad about having listened to it for free for so long.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
You want a good plan for saving The Bugle with a sustainable income source?

Charge $1 per episode for the standard podcast.
Charge $2 per episode for an edited version that has removed the Andy's new segment, which each week is either an extended pun run or the return of the audio cryptic crossword.

I think you'd have a lot of people subscribing at $2 an episode.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Pun runs are the best part. :colbert:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I just hope that if they go pay, it's not iTunes only (or only iTunes and Amazon), because Apple's decided Taiwan doesn't want a music store, or if we do want it we don't deserve it, or if we both want and deserve it we're bloody well not getting it anyway.

Also gently caress the haters pun runs forever. Even the ones I hate are still great.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
The puns are what got me into The Bugle in the first place, long live the puns!

Also voted that I'd happily pay a dollar an episode. Hopefully if/when they do find a new home they'll be able to basically continue the same show. Is there any chance that the Times will restrict their usage of recurring bits, like NBC did with Conan? My guess is since it's just a little podcast they won't care, but you never know.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
Every time I see the "network premiere of The Love Guru" commercial on Comedy Central, I think of The Bugle :smith: Please come back to us soon.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Whizbang posted:

Pun runs are the best part. :colbert:

Only because of John's reaction to them. Even if the future is a pay model, I am ready to contribute. This show cannot go away.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dancehall posted:

Yeah, but the majority of podcasts are people just chatting straight off the dome (no disrespect, some of them are really good at it) whereas the Bugle is prewritten material by professional comedians and work clearly goes into it. I almost feel bad about having listened to it for free for so long.

There are a lot of podcasts by professional comedians and nearly all of them are in some way written (no one just goes to the mic with no plan). I love the Bugle but I wouldn't pay for it just because the comedians involved happen to be bigger names. Also Jesse tweeted:

quote:

Jesse Thorn @JesseThorn

Talked to Andy Zaltzman this morning. They're considering their options. The Bugle will continue. Long live The Bugle. #SaveTheBugle

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm not willing to pay for The Bugle because the comedians involved are "bigger names," though, I'm willing to pay because it's good, they clearly put a lot of work into it, and they don't not deserve to be paid for it should they ask.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 16, 2011

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TetsuoTW posted:

I just hope that if they go pay, it's not iTunes only (or only iTunes and Amazon), because Apple's decided Taiwan doesn't want a music store, or if we do want it we don't deserve it, or if we both want and deserve it we're bloody well not getting it anyway.

Also gently caress the haters pun runs forever. Even the ones I hate are still great.

You don't have a US iTunes account? I just tried downloading right now (something free and something paid) and it worked for me.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I could, but I don't have any kind of credit card that would work on it. The only card I have - a prepaid credit card thing - won't work on the US store. Maybe it'll be different for podcasts, I haven't actually tried yet, but I can actually find and subscribe to them, so I guess I should give it a shot tonight.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Just started the latest issue (which does seem to be the last) and all I'm hoping for is a monster pun-run. I want the pun-run to end all pun-runs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bugle 176 is up.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
The show got the axe from The Times. Chris probably had something to do with it.

Their twitter stated that they are considering a pay model, which I would be interested in.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Dorepoll posted:

Chris probably had something to do with it.

loving Chris.

Seriously, though, I'm really hoping someone like Comedy Central or whatever picks it up - it's too good to let die. Hell, I'd be perfectly willing to pay for it because its quality is simply that high. Despite the pun runs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zaltzman seems pretty confident they'll work something out.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Godfucking damnit. I was having a great lazy saturday morning, lying in bed and listening to the Bugle. Sat loving bolt upright when I realized they weren't joking :smith:
Having read up a bit now it's good to see them confident and in talks of a new home. But still, it's probably going to take a while.

gently caress you Chris Murdoch!! :argh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rinkles posted:

Zaltzman seems pretty confident they'll work something out.

Yea the message I got from the latest was 'welp need to sort some poo poo out, but don't worry something will get figured out', which makes me happy. If they go pay I won't be super happy but if the price was right I'd go with it. I really hope they find another umbrella though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I really hope that some high ranking exec at News International heard an episode back in 2008 and tried to have it cancelled, but it kept on going until now because no-one bothered to read the email :)

Really hope they sort something out, I'd be up for a paid sub if that's an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The last episode (for now) was such a combination of :smith: and :unsmith:

This needs to continue if only to hear the end of the Congressman's penis.

• Locked thread