Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You know, I've felt for a while that the world has gone mad, but now I think it was just the lack of Bugle to remind me that the world was mad to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

vote_no posted:

Plus it sounded like they encoded that episode at 32kbps or less.

The whole ~45 min episode was just 11 mb for some reason. I thought it was going to be a mini episode when I saw that in my podcast app.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Oh my god, the return of Mickey Stantanio.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I cracked up the Answer Me This reference in the emails.

Next month's guest schedule.

Dec 4th: Wyatt Cenac
Dec 11th: Nish Kumar
Dec 18th: Anuvab Pal
Dec 25th: BUGLE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL with Helen Zaltzman

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
The guest host thing is amazing and new Bugles are what my life has been missing.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

spamman posted:

The guest host thing is amazing and new Bugles are what my life has been missing.

I agree. When it was just Andy playing recordings of his shows I checked out and thought The Bugle was over for me. I am now fully on board with the new format and look forward to it showing up on my phone.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It helps that the schedule is now reliable and that episodes are coming out on Sundays, which is a pretty dead day otherwise in terms of podcasts.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It's nice hearing Helen and Andy together, and weird to hear Helen being cut up by bleeps when she swears.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm surprised that black friday is big enough that it reaches out to people who don't celebrate Thanksgiving. I guess that's the power of American culture.

Andy's punchlines are still great when he reuses them, although it's hard to beat the sexual demands of Franklin Roosevelt's bucket of lobsters.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Nude eel! Nude eel!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I'm sorry I just can't do the Wyatt Cenac episodes. He appears to come to the recording completely unprepared with anything and his off the cuff riffs are pretty dry and humorless. Even Andy only laughed politely.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

"You'll have to trust me, that was a very good joke."

Nish rules.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Indiana Jones and the change of heart. I love the new Bugle so much.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Unleash the merch (from 2014).
https://twitter.com/hellobuglers/status/809076034738024452

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 14, 2016

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Anuvab is cementing himself as the funniest of the Bugle guest hosts. Nish is still the best fit but Anuvab is easily the most funny

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Anuvab is cementing himself as the funniest of the Bugle guest hosts. Nish is still the best fit but Anuvab is easily the most funny

Anuvab sold me the moment "Who do I bribe?" Was uttered.

That said, Nish sounded almost like John from the moment he appeared which was awesome.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Anuvab really is fab. But they all are so far.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

The latest Christmas Bugle is filled with an incredible level of bullshit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Santander bit was the stuff of legend.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
New Bugle is blowing away all eggspectations- even Chris is getting in on the pun game!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I saw Chris saying things about this one on Twitter so I'm gonna savour it when I do listen.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I thought it was a really good episode. It had the return of Hotties from History! I am enjoying this new incarnation of The Bugle much more than I expecated. (I do miss The American, though.)

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Has he been doing anything since The Nightly Show got cancelled?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Driving his jet ski across the Atlantic to be a guest in Andy's shed, I hope.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Anuvab is the best, but Nish is great too just because he's so loving amused by Andy's bad jokes. He really seems to appreciate the absurdity of the show.

Its nice to have the bugle back, I look forward to it every week now.

e: Helen is good too, "Oh, You are part of the problem, Andy."

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 9, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

Anuvab is the best, but Nish is great too just because he's so loving amused by Andy's bad jokes. He really seems to appreciate the absurdity of the show.

He's clearly also a massive fan of the classic Bugle, and as a younger comedian his style has probably been informed by it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Nish really feels like the best of all John Oliver replacements.

Also Chris joining in on the pun runs is worrying. We live in dark times.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

I was not expecting the Russian chicken sketch to turn into a pun run. Amazing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It would be neat to keep having a rotating seat but honestly I see no reason they shouldn't bring Nish in permanently. Maybe they could bring in a third person on rotation.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rochallor posted:

It would be neat to keep having a rotating seat but honestly I see no reason they shouldn't bring Nish in permanently. Maybe they could bring in a third person on rotation.

Nish would have had to miss some by now due to his schedule with that travel show, most comedians will probably have issues coordinating schedules with each other, which I think is essentially what happened to the old Bugle.

spamman posted:

I was not expecting the Russian chicken sketch to turn into a pun run. Amazing.

"Oliver never had to be in the same room as them!"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I feel kinda bad for the Bugle. The older episodes all have like 300k+ listens on Soundcloud, but the ones since the relaunch are struggling to break 10k.

Granted, I haven't listened to it at all either, but it was just interesting to see the drop.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mordiceius posted:

I feel kinda bad for the Bugle. The older episodes all have like 300k+ listens on Soundcloud, but the ones since the relaunch are struggling to break 10k.

Granted, I haven't listened to it at all either, but it was just interesting to see the drop.

It's a real shame because some of the guests, particularly Anuvab, are fantastic.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Mordiceius posted:

The new Bugle is way better than the last couple of John Oliver eps, hopefully the bounce back.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

I really enjoy the brand of monotone bullshit that Wyatt Cenac employs. A nice variant for the Bugle.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Wyatt had been the weakest of the guests, but he was on fire this last one. The delivery of his 'Tolerance is just laziness' line was gold.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah, in past episodes I've found him a bit too detached, but it worked better this time for some reason.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

Mea (partially) culpa. I haven't listened to any of the new episodes because I'd filled the Bugle-shaped void in my podcast feed with Other Podcasts.

However, all the posts in this thread have convinced me to give it a go.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I find Andy's sister, Helen, quite charming. Although I am a fan of the "new" Bugle, I am a bit disappointed John Oliver hasn't been a guest yet. Maybe it's some HBO contractual nonsense, but surely he could have spared a couple hours once every few months to be a guest Bugle host given how obviously important he was to 95% of the bugle's history.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

mik posted:

I find Andy's sister, Helen, quite charming. Although I am a fan of the "new" Bugle, I am a bit disappointed John Oliver hasn't been a guest yet. Maybe it's some HBO contractual nonsense, but surely he could have spared a couple hours once every few months to be a guest Bugle host given how obviously important he was to 95% of the bugle's history.

Seemed that way but his radio silence and years of delays point to him just selling out. Who needs to help old friends when you make it big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I don't see it that way at all. I think perhaps he and Andy are doing it the way they are so the guest hosts don't have to live under the shadow of John Oliver. Like they are giving the new format a chance.

• Locked thread