Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
I don't understand how people listening to a political satire podcast run by British comedians can seriously complain about Andy's humor being too dry or boring. Puns and torturously stretched out bits are droll and technical comedy exercises which fit in perfectly with his persona as a sport-loving goofy looking unashamed upper-class Oxbridge graduate. He's also pretty funny on his feet, though not quite as often as John. Their team is well balanced and I'm glad that he is involved in John's other projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I wish Andy had a larger profile and more options for projects, he's really funny in his extremely British way.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I lost it when Andy realized he was contradicting his own previously stated (not 30 minutes earlier) lie about basketball.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Why isn't Andy at least a columnist on LWT? Maybe a pun-focused Jack Handy or something.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

He'll always be awesome for hundreds of hours of hilarious free content, but John really should have made this decision last year. It's pretty much the most understandable situation you can imagine (baby + weekly TV show) and it wouldn't have left us with Bugle Blue Balls for so long.

Andy's sister Hellen's podcast The Allusionist is great btw

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Hearing Hari respond to Andy's jokes makes you realize how much John was phoning it in by the end. This sounded like a 2.5 person conversation which is how the Bugle should be.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Yeah, Anuvab was great. He comes off as a funny guy who also cares deeply about reform in his home country. This new format is hitting all the right beats and it would have been great to hear episodes like these over the last few years.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

mik posted:

I find Andy's sister, Helen, quite charming. Although I am a fan of the "new" Bugle, I am a bit disappointed John Oliver hasn't been a guest yet. Maybe it's some HBO contractual nonsense, but surely he could have spared a couple hours once every few months to be a guest Bugle host given how obviously important he was to 95% of the bugle's history.

Seemed that way but his radio silence and years of delays point to him just selling out. Who needs to help old friends when you make it big?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I don't see it that way at all. I think perhaps he and Andy are doing it the way they are so the guest hosts don't have to live under the shadow of John Oliver. Like they are giving the new format a chance.

The new Bugle is great, and Andy is definitely making he most of the situation, but we don't know everyone's motivations. You could be right. I'm just frustrated as a fan that we could have 100 more episodes of this excellent format today if John had bowed out gracefully, instead of inexplicably giving Buglers and Andy false hope over and over. He doesn't owe me anything but it's weird that he got in the way of other people who wanted to do it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

You seem to believe that he owes you something.

Do you have any empathy for Andy? He didn't sound too thrilled apologizing to his fans over two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

prefect posted:

If you've enjoyed hearing Helen on the podcast, she's got two of her own, which are both worth listening to (although neither of them are political). "Answer Me This" and "The Allusionist" :thumbsup:

Allusionist is the chillest edutainment podcast in the world, she's great.

• Locked thread