Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Made a whiskey sour on my own for the first time today.

2 oz larceny
3/4 lemon juice
3/8 maple syrup
Egg white
Dry shake, Ice shake, pour
Add 4 drops peychauds bitters

Jesus it blew me away. I'd loved my old fashioneds and monte carlos, and was inching my way to more complex stuff. I just let the egg white convince me the sour was more bother than it was worth. I'm a dumb dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

my kinda ape posted:

Thank you all for your Pisco recommendations. Glad to know it's not garbage!

I made a Bijou tonight and while it was very interesting I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't particularly like sweet vermouth. Or at least I don't particularly like the Martini & Rossi Rosso I've been using. Are red/sweet vermouths generally pretty similar or should I give a different brand a chance?
Speaking subjectively:

I can't stand martini and Rossi, dry or sweet. It just tastes like crap. Sour, lifeless.

Dolin dry is fantastic for martinis, but I didn't care for the sweet in much of anything.

Carano Antica fits my palate so much better. It's got a nice vanilla depth that works super well in Manhattans, harmonizes with the rye, whereas dolin declared war on it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

prayer group posted:

Nice! Larceny and maple sounds like a real smooth and luscious whiskey sour; I like your style. Maybe next time try adding a couple dashes of Angostura to add some spice notes and round out the sweet, mellow wheated bourbon and maple syrup. Or modify with a quarter ounce of an amaro! Whiskey sours are fun to mess around with if you're into that.
It's not so much a style as I was too impatient to make more simple syrup and I have good maple syrup on hand. Something about making simple syrup is a chore to me, so most old fashioneds I make involve about 1/4 oz of maple syrup that I then microwave for 5 seconds to reduce viscosity before adding the other ingredients.

If it didn't work so well I'd be less lazy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Did How To Drink's scotch coffee last night.

-1 oz peated scotch (I used 12 year shaeldaig Islay)
-2 oz Mr black
-1/2 oz simple syrup (I used my happy accident Demerara simple syrup that got slightly caramelized)
-Supposed to add cocoa bitters, but I used four dashes of hazelnut bitters.

Stir in the rocks glass with ice.

Layer cream (I used half and half, too much, first few sips were just cream, but it settled okay after that).

I cannot describe how good the combo of the coffee bitterness, caramel sugary sweetness, saltiness, and smoke go together, and the cream smooths it out and melds the flavors. The wife and I wouldn't shut up about it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Tonight I had a Strega Swizzle and omg.

2oz Strega
0.5 oz each lemon and lime
.25 oz simple
0.5 oz dry vermouth
Lemon oil
Swizzled

Literally the most refreshing thing I've ever had. Dang.

I had never heard of strega before this post. Now I gotta see if somewhere nearby sells it.

My latest cocktail: Mezcalroni and cheese.

1 1/4 oz mezcal (pluma negra)
1 oz sweet vermouth (Carano Antica)
3/4.oz campari
1/2 oz lime juice
1 oz rosemary simple syrup (not rich)
Shaken, lemon twist/garnish.

Pair with cheese, because I couldn't come up with a way to get cheese IN the drink to complete the pun.

Wife doesn't like mezcal and doesn't care for campari much, and she loved it. Interesting flavors that end up perfectly balanced for us.

I found the recipe idea somewhere online, can't remember where, I just changed a few proportions for my pallate and excess stock of rosemary simple.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

2 oz whiskey, 1/4 oz benedictine, 1/4 green chartreuse, 1 dash ango, and 3/8 oz local amaro just became my new best friend. Like a Monte Carlo but better.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Honestly fireball Kahlua sounds kinda fun.

The green shire not so much.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The Bandit posted:

You spelled rumchata wrong
I don't think that's a fair sub. Rumchata is like a soft cinnamon cream. If you're lucky fireball Kahlua would be like pouring red hots into your coffee.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I've never had a Negroni despite loving gin. I think I'll have to change that.

It's not a drink that rewards you based on how much you like the spirit, it's a drink that rewards how much you like the interplay of various bitter flavors with that spirit.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Less than half an ounce of campari in a drink: delightfully devilish

More than half an ounce of campari in a drink: good lord what is happening in there

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you don't like a classic negroni with tanquery you probably just don't like negronis. The brand of gin is certainly not the issue, nor the spec.

I'm promise I'm not being patronizing, but make sure a negroni has a very generous twist of orange. That's the difference between a pleasing bitter drink and three ounces of poo poo.

Fake edit: this is directed generally, not at you, fart car 97.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

It's just easier to assemble and mix things in a larger, dedicated mixing glass. It also lets you serve into nick & nora, sour, and other stemware which all but preclude building the drink in the glass.

I have a 3 piece cobbler shaker that is pretty decent. About the only issue I have is dry shaking egg whites tends to pop (that's common with Boston shakers too, though). I still want a Boston because it's afford more volume to make for better shaking. I usually add about 1.5 cups of ice for shaking and it just doesn't feel like there's enough travel or emulsion.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I try to smell test my carpano antica after a couple months. It always smells like vermouth.

In ya go.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I find punt e mes like a plum-forward wine, I can't imagine it'd be what you're looking for if the wine flavor is what you don't like. It's a strong flavor that can stand out and accentuate fruitiness, like the cherry flavor in a Manhattan.

If I'm mixing with whisky I would always go for carpano antica. The vanilla in it helps it meld with most cocktails harmoniously, in my experience. It's also perfect in my favorite nightcap, which is whiskey, vermouth, creme de cacao, amaro, and coffee liqueur.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Thank you! I am going to SD zoo for my birthday, will have 2yo in tow but might make it work :thunk:
Should work, tiki cups seem to be perfectly sized to add a sippy-cup lid to avoid spilling the little urn's $16 drink.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Wife wanted something, dealer's choice. I went with:

1.5 oz rittenhouse rye
1 oz aperol
3/4 oz maraschino
2 dashes hazelnut bitters
Stir, strain, garnish with orange twist/peel.

We both found it nicely balanced. Seems like a spin on a boulevardier, but pretty far out for that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I thought calvados would sub for Applejack.

I thought wrong.

Is it supposed to have a weird sour funk, or is that just how it goes? It's borderline undrinkable.

Berneroy VSOP for reference.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

I usually get Morin Calvados. I would rate it higher than domestic apple spirit easily and it's not that high end. Don't give up on the category.

The cocktail I invented works perfectly with Lairds BiB

1.5 oz Laird's BiB
0.75 oz Amaro (I use Torino)
0.5 oz dry vermouth (Dolin)
0.25 oz Douglas Fir Liqueuer (BroVo)
a few dashes of bitter housewife Jerry Thomas bitters (kinda smells like sassafrass bitters)
stir, pour, garnish with grated nutmeg

Balanced, tastes like fall.

The Berneroy subbed in for Laird's made it taste like poo poo.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

I usually get Morin Calvados. I would rate it higher than domestic apple spirit easily and it's not that high end. Don't give up on the category.

Got it today, tried it, don't like it. Same odd funk at the end, especially compared to the American Applejack's I've had. I wonder if it's the French oak they use?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah there were a few bottles going for $100+, didn't realize there'd be such a gap in quality between the light price point stuff and the Actually Good Stuff. Like $100 Scotch is great, but $30 bottles are at least still very drinkable. The calvaldos I've gotten has been unpalatable so far.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I upgraded from a mason jar as my mixing glass, to a larger Madafo 24oz mixing glass . I really like the weight and heftiness of it seems like a quality product.

I think I'm going to upgrade into a Boston shakers next. Is there a reason why some are weighted vs non-weighted? I'm assuming it's only for the shaker being more sturdy on the table?

By weighted, do you mean some part of it is weighted, or the whole thing is made of a denser/thicker material? I'd not heard of the former, but sounds like something dumb someone invented for no good reason. For the latter, I'd argue thicker/denser is better than thinner, even if it takes more energy to shake.

Thicker metal typically* means less heat exchanging to outside, which means it reduces how loving cold your hands get shaking if you want something as cold as it gets. It also reduces the condensation on the exterior of the shaker (which adds some heat to the contents of your shaker), but that's a relatively minor effect. Also makes the shaker more stable, easier to keep together when dry shaking egg whites.

Plus it just feels good to have a heavier shaker.

Getting a better shaker is high on my list, I've got Renaud's so I have to use a towel to shake or the cold is brutally painful cause my shaker is razor thin.

(*Assuming we're talking roughly similar stainless steel, different alloys/metals can have different conduction properties that make this all wrong, but typically thicker material means better insulation)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Weighted shakers have an extra cap on the bottom to add weight

Seems dumb. Wouldn't that add momentum that'd make it more likely for the shaker to decouple mid-shake?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

Hence the superiority of the Boston shaker. I have a Cobbler and I've already taken to throwing a Hawthorne on it vs using the built in strainer. You wouldn't think it makes a difference but even that does. So I'm halfway there, I'm just waiting until I get truly fed-up with the Cobbler.

EDIT: Before I actually decided to learn what I was doing with drinks I deliberately went out of my way *not* to buy a Boston Shaker, lol
The morganthaler ice method involves one big cube and a bunch of small ones. Add the small ice first, that cushions the big cube. Not hard. I mostly use a cobbler and have never had drink fly out from adding ice.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Bitter Housewife's Westward Hazelnut Bitters are ridiculously good. My wife's all time fav cocktail is Rittenhouse rye, aperol, maraschino, and the hazelnut bitters.

Besides that, I really enjoy Jerry Thomas' own decanter bitters from the bitter truth, the earlier-mentioned mole bitters from bittermans, and celery bitters. Try the celery bitters in stuff you want a bit more savory complexity in, it works better than you might think, nice rounding-out effect. Just, uh, not great in citrus drinks.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

I like all those things and just ordered those bitters. What ratios do you use?

1.5 oz Rittenhouse
1 oz aperol
3/4 maraschino
3 dashes hazelnut bitters (it's not easy to dash this bottle, so use maybe 2 full barspoons? Or just to taste. I've found you really can't overdo these bitters though.)

Stir, strain, garnish with orange twist.

Should be light, sweet, herbal, and nutty.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Kenning posted:

In general I've not found chocolate bitters to be something I go for very often.

Same. I expected to get more mileage from them, but I find the far better chocolate flavor from Mr Black and chocolate liqueur. 4:1 ratio of Mr Black to liqueur, plus some sweet vermouth and whiskey is so good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

I whipped up a batch of Morganthaler's Lime Cordial and now I'm desperate to find more things to put it in other than gimlets because that stuff rocks.
It was something of a miss for me. Made it today and I just found it a bit too much everything. Too tart, too sweet, and oddly vegetal. I might have overzested the lime and gotten rind?

It's not undrinkable it's just not super fun.

I tried it with beefeater, 2:1 ratio.

Then tried a daiquiri with Bacardi, and it was again too much. Made my typical daiquiri afterward and it was so much more balanced.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Pander posted:

It was something of a miss for me. Made it today and I just found it a bit too much everything. Too tart, too sweet, and oddly vegetal. I might have overzested the lime and gotten rind?

It's not undrinkable it's just not super fun.

I tried it with beefeater, 2:1 ratio.

Then tried a daiquiri with Bacardi, and it was again too much. Made my typical daiquiri afterward and it was so much more balanced.

I take this back. I think it's a matter of taste. I eased back for a couple drinks today, lowered the ratio, and it ended up great.

Margarita was pretty good, 2oz tequila, 3/4 oz dry Curacao, and ~1/2 oz of lime cordial mix.

Then I went for a rum drink that, while a touch on the sweet side, was delicious
3/4 oz smith and cross
1 oz dark rum (seale 10 yr)
1 oz light rum (Bacardi)
1/2 oz falernum
1/2 oz orgeat
1 oz lime cordial

Might be off by 1/4 oz for the last three each, can't remember exactly what I did but I think that's close.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The Maestro posted:

If you cruise the beach bars in Hawaii you’ll find the touristy juice bombs, so that’s what people are looking for.

I think more so than beach bars, it's chain restaurants that cemented in america the idea that cocktails are fruity sugar slop with bottom shelf spirits. Go to any chain sitdown and there's four margarita variants, each probably loaded with different Torino syrups.

Greg from How to drink has had a recurring segment lately where he smuggles drinks out of chili's, Applebee's, etc., tastes them, and then tries to improve them.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For white rum in cocktails, I gotta be honest it's usually Bacardi for me if I want neutral. Otherwise I might use Wray and Nephew or cachaça or something. But daiquiris and what not? Bacardi does the job.

Yeah, it's like the Titos of the rum world. Is it great? Hell no. Can it go in a cocktail? Sure!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

That's what I love about Rum. I went to a rum tasting party pre-COVID and we had like 20 or so rums there and the enormous variety of flavors really changed my outlook on the stuff. I think at this point it's my favorite spirit. Appleton Estate is my go to for basic dark rum, but I'm currently trying out a bottle of Havana Club because I was on a bit of a budget and it's got a nice flavor to it as well.

Unrelated, I finally got my hands on some Dolin. :holymoley: that stuff is excellent. I can see now why folks swear by it. I put it in a Negroni today and it completely changed my outlook on the drink.

Dolin sweet vermouth? Huh I only ever use it for dry, and stick to Italian reds.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

I made a Left Hand with it tonight too which was pretty good as well, though I think I prefer the sharpness of the Negroni. I think for me Sweet Vermouth and Bourbon just don't mix; I don't really care for Manhattans either, so I should have seen that coming.

For me, Manhattans were always middling until I stumbled upon the right vermouth, Grassoti. That vermouth is just amazing for Manhattans, just the right cherry notes I want. I couldn't get carpano antica or punt e mes or anything else to be more than meh.

Tried my first tia mia tonight. Wow that worked way better than I thought. Used Smith and cross for the rum and plume de nom for the mezcal. They balance each other so well, neither dominant flavor dominated. My wife tends to dislike funky rums AND smoky mezcal, and she liked it a lot too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I tried maraska based on a thread rec and it's just not as good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Wife saw Greg on how to drink make a sage mojito a bit ago, so got some sage to replicate it. However, ran out of rum earlier, so I decided to improv. Made some pretty great.

Juice of 1/2 a lemon
3 sage leaves
3/4 to 1 oz honey (eyeballed)

Muddle them together. Added
1 oz cream del maguey mezcal
1 1/4 oz el padrino reposado tequila
And shook.

Very viscous and SO much going on. Delightful, somehow balanced despite so many loud flavors fighting. Gonna play around with the proportions a bit more, cause tequila gets lost and it ended up a bit sweet.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Sashimi posted:

I'm just getting started making cocktails at home, and I'm running into a problem with drinks that use citrus. Every time I make a drink that uses lemon or lime the citrus dominates the flavour, nothing feels balanced. I'm being careful to follow amounts shown in recipes. Not sure why this is, could it be I need to use different shaking techniques, do I need to do something else with citrus juices like strain them before adding them?
I kinda know what you mean. First time I made a real last word I felt like the lime dominated.

There are some fixes.

1) more sweetener. Sweetness really helps accentuate flavors that might get lost and tame the bitterness of citrus. Keep adding a barspoon of simple as needed until either it's good (yay) or too sweet (oops). If it gets too sweet before you find the citrus more balanced, there may be another issue with the drink.

2) stronger proof spirit. Sometimes a recipe would call for a bottled in bond rye or overproof gin/rum but I'd use an 80 proof. Usually the spirit gets lost and another flavor (sometimes citrus) dominates. Even if the recipe doesn't explicitly call for a higher proof spirit, give it a shot if it might change things up.

3) use less citrus. Palates take time to adjust to new sensations. I hated the first couple negronis I made, and now I love them. Bitterness especially is like getting into a hot tub, you gotta ease yourself in. So feel free to adjust the proportions a bit to taste, and if you can always try to nudge it back up as you get more acclimated.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

IIRC, part of the shaking process is to aerate the citrus which helps to mellow it out a bit. While the ice, at the same time, is helping to dilute the mixture.

If you care to share, what drinks are you making?

That's a good point too, margaritas are pretty easy to feel over-limed when made per classic recipes. Partly cause they're over-sweetened commercially typically, and partially cause they're a surprisingly tart drink, esp if you undermixed.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Booties posted:

Does punt e mes need to be refrigerated? Also, what are some good uses for it? Sometimes I use it to replace half the vermouth in a cocktail that calls for sweet vermouth.

All vermouth needs to be refrigerated. They're not indefinitely shelf stable. I see different guides to how long they can last in the fridge, but I'll typically mark the date I open mine and toss it after a month if it's still around, or if I notice it starting to go rancid.

Punt E Mes is a sweet vermouth, so I mean, yes you can use it in any sweet vermouth recipe? You could use it for ALL the sweet vermouth if you want.

It's a particularly strongly fruity vermouth. Very lush grape and plum flavors, some cherry. Like many vermouths, it works better with some cocktails than others. Iirc it's a pretty divisive flavor among different palates, and I've found it pretty tricky to use effectively vs other vermouths.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

I liked Lillet Blanc so much that when I finally found Cocchi Americano I bought two bottles without having tried it before, having heard it was similar. I had opened a bottle a month or two ago to use in a cocktail but I hadn't really touched it since. I figured I'd have a glass on the rocks since that's how I consumed most of my Lillet and Dubonnet and hoo boy do not really like that at all. Not great! I was afraid that the bottle had gone bad despite being refrigerated with a vacuum stopper so I opened the other bottle and nope, about the same. What's a good way for me to use all of this? :v:

I guess I could try to suffer through drinking all of it and maybe after a bottle or two I'll have acquired the taste? Maybe add a little simple?

Welcome to my adventures with Calvados.

I just suffer through drinking it when I don't want to waste anything good.

I have yet to find a flavor combination that works with it. I can't hide the off-putting funk with sweetness, it just lingers. Anything strong enough to hide the flavor is gonna be something like absinthe that dominates anything regardless.

It reminds me of kreiks and goses. Sure some people apparently drink them, but they taste like fermented rear end in a top hat to me.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Hm...The Last Word was interesting. Not my favorite. But not bad. Just very odd.

Swap the gin for a good rye and the lime juice for lemon juice and you have the (imo) superior Final Ward. I feel like the ingredients meld better in the final ward, makes it more rounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

The sherry hype train keeps continuing. If I didn't like fino and didn't like amontillado, should I still give manzanilla a chance? Don't like oxidized flavors. Don't like sweet wine either. I know the definitions of each type.

Just keep hearing about respected bartenders using it.

The key to enjoying amontillado is finding a good cask. I know of such a cask, follow me.