Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I have a pretty well stocked bar, but we've burned through a lot of my (small) wine collection. My friend texted me while I was at the gym after work and told me a nearby liquor store was having a going out of business sale, so I decided to go down there and see if I could restock.

No red wine left on the shelf, but I got the following for $108:
  • Disaronno
  • Frangelico
  • 375 mL Silver Patron
  • Crown Royal (a gift for granpa)
  • 1.75 L Wild Turkey 101 (a gift for me)
  • Chimay Premier
  • 3 bottles of white wine
  • a bottle of port

The store announced their clearance today (50-65% off everything) and was nearly picked clean by the time I got there at 8 PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Happy national margarita day. Can Patron Citronge spoil? I've got a little 375 mL bottle I've kept in the liquor cabinet, cork in, and it's got little bits of particulate all throughout the liquor. Almost looks like whenever simple syrup turns cloudy and then molds.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If anyone can find Silent Pool gin, buy it and post about it. Everything I’ve read seems like it’s exactly the kind of floral/citrus gin that’s light on juniper that I like. Not distributed anywhere near me though.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Today I made an Americano. 1 oz Campari, 1 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth, topped with store brand club soda.

Not bad but I think the Dolin isn’t up to the task, maybe Carpano or Cocchi would do better against the bitterness of Campari. And I think a mineral water like Topo Chico would work better than plain club soda.

B-, would make again. Definitely going in my summer drink rotation.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

Liquor store haul: in addition to replenishing my basic stock and getting some absinthe (ordinaire, they didn't have st. george), I went in on some mescal from a brand called Derrumbes (since it was the cheapest of the 3 brands the store had). It's not as smokey as other mescal I've had in mixed drinks, but it'll do very nicely.

Are there any mezcal specific cocktails? most of the ones I've seen are just tequila drinks with mezcal, which is fine with me since I can get down with a mezcal margarita.

Tequila is mezcal, made specifically with blue agave. Substitute it anywhere you would use tequila.

Waltzing Along posted:

I was at Trader Joe's earlier and saw the Laphraoig 10. While in the checkout line I spur-of-the-momented it. My first bottle of scotch. Oddly, it made me feel kinda mature buying it.

A good first scotch, real easy sipper.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Well, and not smoked, right? Smoke is what makes mezcal mezcal, flavor-wise.

Nah, mezcal is simply distilled spirits made from agave. Most (that aren’t labeled as tequila) are smoky, due to how the piñas are cooked, but smokiness isn’t the defining factor of mezcal.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
That’s a shame. I had a 2012 last NYE and it was great.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I’m no mixologist but first thing that comes to mind is adding it to a lemon cocktail like a French 75?

Sounds delicious!

What about a dark and stormy with ginger?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a La Louisiane.

1.25 oz Whistle Pig Rye 10 year Single Barrel (117 proof)
3/4 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth
3/4 oz Benedictine
2 dashes Angostura and 2 dashes Peychauds
Rinsed glass with Absente 100 and expressed lemon peel

I feel very warm in my chest now. If you like Sazeracs, try this one sometime.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I should drink less

Tonight I made two drinks: a Greenpoint and a Sazerac

Greenpoint
2 oz Rittenhouse rye whiskey
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/2 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin)
1 dash Angostura
1 dash orange bitters (Bitter Housewife brand)
Expressed lemon peel
Served up in a martini glass

Sazerac
1 oz Rittenhouse rye
1 oz Hennessy cognac
1/2 Demerara syrup (1.5/1 ratio)
2 dashes peychauds bitters
Expressed lemon peel
Served up in rocks glass sprayed with Absente 100

The greenpoint is nice but the sazerac is probably my favorite cocktail ever. If you’ve never made one with brandy, you should.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
It’s Brandy Alexander season too! Buy good crème de cacao for a holiday treat.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm traveling for Christmas and have been asked to make drinks for the family. I have no idea what my in-laws have in their bar, so I need to whip up a menu and shopping list. I can get any citrus and mixers I need, and make syrups, but don't really know what to offer. I'll want bourbon, rye, gin, brandy, creme de cacao, and sparkling wine to make Old Fashioneds, Sazeracs, Mules, French 75s/Tom Collins, and Brandy Alexanders, plus spirit + mixer (whiskey and coke, gin and tonic, etc). Any outstanding holiday cocktails I should add? Maybe a big punch recipe to make it easier on myself? Open to suggestions, especially since my mother in law is going booze shopping before we arrive. Maybe 10 people maximum, but for multiple nights. Low ABV drinks would be nice too, because these people will go hard on whatever is being made.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

piL posted:

If they have (or you bring) tequila, you're a syrup away from a silk stocking which is ny new favorite christmas drink.
I made this using casamigos tequila, liber and co grenadine, and dekyuper crème de cacao. Great drink.

Kenning posted:

Morgenthaler's Sangria

This recipe is even easier than the above. I'm copying it (with very minor variations) from Jeffrey Morgenthaler's wonderful website.

Ingredients

1 750 ml bottle of wine (I like a spicy Tempranillo or Zinfandel)
1 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp white sugar
6 oz. orange liqueur (Gran Gala is fine)
1-2 tsp Angostura bitters

Basically, just combine everything into a pitcher and stir. I like to keep it in a couple of swing-top bottles and pour it into glasses filled with ice, although it would also work in a pitcher filled with ice. Morgenthaler encourages us to use this as a base for experimentation, but it's such a good recipe that I've made it as-is for years and everyone loves it.

This was a big hit at dinner, thanks for the recipe. My mother in law said she lost her sangria recipe and wants this one so I shared it too.

Other drinks were a great hit too. Brandy Alexanders, Cranberry Moscow Mules, Old Fashioneds and Sazeracs. Still have bottles of Chandon for French 75s that didn’t get made, so probably having mimosas for Christmas morning.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Today I made two Tiramisu

1 oz Hennessy VS Cognac
1/2 oz Kahula
1/2 oz Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao
1 oz half-and half
1/2 egg yolk
Left off the mascarpone, because I didn't have any

I doubled the quantities to make two because I separated a single egg (will make a whiskey sour with the whites later), and garnished with a grated Andes mint. Excellent dessert drink along the lines of a Brandy Alexander.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 31, 2022

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Happy New Year everyone!

Tonight I made a Monte Cassino.

3/4 oz Booker's Bourbon (instead of rye)
3/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 oz Benedictine
3/4 oz Lemon juice

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Oxo Y peeler gang

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Corpse Reviver No. 3 using the Savoy recipe

.75 oz Hennessy Cognac
.75 oz Tempus Fugit Creme de Menthe
.75 oz Fernet Branca
1 dash Edgefield chocolate bitters

I think this would be a terrible drink if the ingredients weren't so good. Hennessy and Tempus Fugit is good mixing, the chocolate bitters also give it a slight something - not bitter, that's covered by Fernet, but the chocolate and mint are nice. Don't drink this if you just have bottom shelf CdM like DeKuyper's or a bad brandy.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Don't kill anyone: https://www.cocktailsafe.org/coumadin-coumarin.html

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a vanilla old fashioned

1.5 oz of Jim Beam bourbon
1/3 oz of Portland Syrups Vanilla Rooibos
1 dash of Bitter Housewife Orange Bitters
3 dashes of Angostura Bitters
Orange peel expressed oil on top and Luxardo cherry garnish

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The syrup is the same flavor in Luxardo cherry liqueur (not Maraschino, but Sangue Morlacco), so you’re probably right.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Local seafood place is closed for renovations until May but I’ve been craving a drink on their bar menu. THE USUAL: Rittenhouse Rye, Amaro Nardini, Demerara, Scrappy’s Cardamom Bitters.

Problem is this - there’s no Nardini for sale anywhere locally. Any suggestions on a substitute? My home bar’s amari selection is limited to Fernet, Campari, and Aperol, plus their amaro-adjacent cousin Nocino.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Boulevardier

1.5 oz Rittenhouse Rye
1 oz Campari
1 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth
1 huge orange twist, expressed then skewered with my new cocktail picks

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

Hell yeah, one of my favorites. What did you think?

Tonight I made a negroni and added a splash of tonka bean syrup. Extremely good stuff. Next time I make the syrup, I'll attempt to make it less sweet. The flavor is great, but the syrup is too sweet to add any more than 1/3 oz.

I've had one before, this one needed a big cube of clear ice - which I've got going in the freezer now. Great drink though, but I have to get a better bottle of vermouth because the Dolin is just meh in every drink I've used it in.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made an Old Fashioned.

1.5 oz Wild Turkey 101
.75 oz simple 1:1
3 dashes Angostura
1 dash Fee Brothers Black Walnut bitters

Poured over a big piece of clear ice I froze overnight in a yeti tumbler, huge orange peel expressed on top, then skewered with a Luxardo cherry.

Delicious!

Edit: and because I drink too much I also made an Improved Whiskey Cocktail

1.5 oz Rittenhouse Rye
.25 oz simple
.25 Luxardo Maraschino
2 dashes Angostura
2 dashes Peychauds
Glass rinsed with Absente 100 and a big lemon peel expressed on top

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 15, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If he likes Bulleit, get him a fancy Bulleit like Single Barrel, $60ish.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Just finished a bottle of Rittenhouse rye and now all I have is nice single barrel whistle pig. What should I get as a replacement, another Rittenhouse or something else?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made an ice cream cocktail, using Anders's recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPWDOCVByk

1.5 oz Tempus Fugit Creme de Menthe
1.5 oz Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao
1 oz. Heavy Cream
3 scoops Tillamook Old Fashioned Vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup crushed ice
2 drops of green food coloring

Blended in a Boston shaker tin with my immersion blender. I didn't top it with chartreuse whipped cream, but the recipe makes me want to buy a whipped cream canister.

Served in an A&W mug that I keep in the freezer. Delicious!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Went to a tiki bar tonight and we’re having Mai Tais!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
So if anyone has to go to Tacoma, WA for any reason and you like Tiki check out The Devil's Reef downtown. It's Lovecraft themed, they make very strong drinks, and the menu is esoteric as heck. Wife and I had a Mai Tai each, and split a "Dark Harbor": Dark spices, sasparilla, citrus, strong Fijian rum.

Came home and finished the night with a Placebo, a non alcoholic version of a Painkiller for the wife, and a Sidecar for me.

1.5x portions to fit in my big martini glasses

2.25 oz Hennessy VS Cognac
1.5 oz Cointreau
.75 oz lemon juice
Double strained into a chilled and sugar rimmed martini glass

Excellent cocktail night!

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 21, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Sash Juan button?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Tonight I made a La Louisiane.

1.25 oz Whistle Pig Rye 10 year Single Barrel (117 proof)
3/4 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth
3/4 oz Benedictine
2 dashes Angostura and 2 dashes Peychauds
Rinsed glass with Absente 100 and expressed lemon peel

I feel very warm in my chest now. If you like Sazeracs, try this one sometime.

Tonight I made another La Louisane but changed up the ratios.

1/2 oz Benedictine
No angostura
3 dashes Peychauds
A few dashes of Absente in the mixing glass and a rinse in the glass
Orange peel expressed (stick with lemon!)

Not bad! Almost done with this bottle of sweet vermouth so I’m gonna get something different and run through all the cocktails I’ve made with vermouth again.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made an old fashioned with a tea themed twist

2 oz Wild Turkey 101
.75 oz Portland Syrups Vanilla Rooibos
2 dashes Angostura
2 dashes Scrappys Lavender Bitters

Delicious!

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 5, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Was in Dallas over Christmas and there was Chartreuses all over for $52-60.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Yellow is $93.19 (tax included) for a 750 ml at Total Wine here in WA, highest Liquor tax in the nation.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made an Apple Pie Old Fashioned

1.5 oz Jim Beam Apple
1/3 oz Portland Syrups Vanilla Rooibos
2 dashes Angostura
2 dashes Bitter Housewife Orange bitters

Could use less syrup, the Jim Beam Apple is 86 proof but very sweet. Does taste like an apple pie with baking spice though, very nice!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I often wonder how to use these flavored whiskeys that are popular. I keep getting gifted them, and generally I don't like them. But I also don't like to waste. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with salted caramel Crown Royal, and I'm fairly stumped still.

Yep, that bottle sat in the back of my bar for 5+ years before I made that drink tonight. I opened it when I first got gifted it, and then put it away. It tastes like a melted green apple blow pop.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
That lemon pith, drat she thicc.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Vieux Carre:

.75 oz Whistlepig 10 year single barrel rye
.75 oz Hennessy Cognac
.75 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth
.5 oz Benedictine
3 dashes Angostura
3 dashes Peychauds
In an old fashioned glass over a big cube, lemon peel expressed on top

I really need some Nick and Nora glasses, but presentation doesn’t matter too much if you’re drinking at home. Great drink, probably at the top of my New Orleans cocktail list, close second to the Sazerac.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Storm King, but I don’t have any blended scotch so single malt it is:

1.5 oz Abelour A’bunadh batch 41 (59% abv)
.5 oz Skip Rock Distillers Nocino
.25 oz Benedictine
3 dashes Angostura
A little bit of Luxardo cherry syrup because this thing calls for three cherries on a skewer as a garnish

loving delicious. The Abelour is a sherry cask, cask strength, single malt Speyside scotch. Sweet and strong. The only thing keeping me from using it all the time in this cocktail is the fact that the price has skyrocketed in the last 10 years to $100 a bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight i wanted to finish a bottle of sweet vermouth so I made a super sized Bijou:

2 oz Plymouth Naval Strength Gin (57% abv)
1.5 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth
.5 oz Green Chartreuse

Served in a chilled martini glass with a Luxardo cherry garnish and the saddest lemon peel expressed over top.

A good cocktail!