Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Holy loving poo poo I miss Portland so much :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Does anyone know (preferably first hand) any really great cocktail bars in London? Where the hell can I find a sazerac?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Xarr posted:

Any of these bars will be able to make a competent sazerac even if they arn't on their list.

Nightjar 20's speakeasy, utter perfection.

Purl I wasn't a huge fan, but I only went for a quiet drink early on a Wednesday so mileage may vary. Cool drinks with dry ice.

Mark's Bar good cocktails, excellent bar snacks and the oyster ale is to die for

Claridges Bar the best service in town, an utter institution and all are made to feel welcome

Dukes Bar ignore the new, crap website, it has the best martinis in town by a long way

The American Bar felt a little impersonal but great cocktails and a London classic

Rules Bar great wood panelled room, the doorman will let you in, just ask

The Coburg Bar
Full of Mayfair suits but good cocktails and a nice atmosphere make it a good place for after work drinks

The Lonsdale been ages since I have been, but I have a vague recollection of good vesper's and a cool crowd

69 Colebrooke Row well recommended by those that have been.

Callooh Callay not been but another well recommended

Time out has a good list, here. My fave is the Nightjar but have a real soft spot for Claridges, even if it is expensive! Bourne and Hollingsworth and 69 Colebrooke Row are next on my list to visit.

I love you so much right now.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Gearing up for Christmas! (Also an excuse to beef up my bar.)

What I've got:
Gordon's, Sapphire, Absolute, tons of single malt, Pama (pomegranate liqueur), Noilly Prat.

Shopping list:
Rittenhouse 100 Proof, Bitters (Peychauds, Angostura, Gary Regan's Orange), Pusser's, Disaronno, Buffalo Trace, Campari.

What am I desperately missing? Absinthe? Martini Rosso? Keep in mind I'm in the UK, so I can't get everything you guys in the US can. Going shopping here: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com tomorrow and I'd like to pick everything up in one place.

Cheers!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Sounds good guys. I think I'll pick up Martini Rosso (sweet vermouth), Cointreau, and St. Germain.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Thanks for all your help!!!

P.s. I threw together a Dark n Stormy with the Pusser's. Holy. poo poo.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have a cocktail-ish question.

I'm having a dinner party, and wanted to to something a bit different. I want to make a bloody mary, but use agar agar to set it.

In my head, this is how it goes:
Combine: Canned tomatoes (decent fresh ones here are over $4/lb.), celery salt, hot sauce, horseradish, worcestershire sauce, water, pepper. Simmer for 10 min or so to combine (maybe fridge overnight instead?), then strain. Get it back on the heat, and mix in agar agar. Simmer for another minute or so until the agar dissolves, take off the heat, add vodka, put into molds (ice cube tray) and let set. Serve on a toothpick with an olive.

Couple questions:
1. How's my bloody mary mix?
2. Is this a terrible loving idea?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

angor posted:

I have a cocktail-ish question.

I'm having a dinner party, and wanted to to something a bit different. I want to make a bloody mary, but use agar agar to set it.

In my head, this is how it goes:
Combine: Canned tomatoes (decent fresh ones here are over $4/lb.), celery salt, hot sauce, horseradish, worcestershire sauce, water, pepper. Simmer for 10 min or so to combine (maybe fridge overnight instead?), then strain. Get it back on the heat, and mix in agar agar. Simmer for another minute or so until the agar dissolves, take off the heat, add vodka, put into molds (ice cube tray) and let set. Serve on a toothpick with an olive.

Couple questions:
1. How's my bloody mary mix?
2. Is this a terrible loving idea?

In addition to this question, for the same dinner party:
Punch! Hibiscus tea, mint, simple syrup, gin (probably Hendricks). Thoughts?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oooh, lemon is a good call. How do I infuse the tea in the simple syrup? Note that I plan on buying bulk dried hibiscus and letting it steep to make the hibiscus tea. Adding mint to the simple syrup is a great idea as well.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Comb Your Beard posted:

Doesn't look like anyone has replied. Mix sounds spot on, I'd only add some fresh cracked black pepper. I'd do a some quick research to see if alcohol interferes with agar agar setting action. Let us know how it goes.

PROTIP: Don't use agar agar to gel bloody marys. It's really weird and gross.

The hibiscus, mint syrup, gin cocktail was super refreshing and awesome though!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I recently moved away from my beautifully stocked bar so now all I have a gigantic bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon, Ardbeg 10, Hendricks, and half a bottle of Grant's.

Any cocktail ideas with what I've got? I want to pick up another few bottles, but have to spread it over time. Everything is extortionately expensive here, and the selection is awful. I guess that's what happens when there are only 3 liquor stores in the entire country. Bollocks.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

bunnyofdoom posted:

Angor, personally I would recommend getting a bottle of Red Vermouth and making manhattan's, but then again that is my favourite cocktail.

Anyways, I found a half full bottle of lime cordial in my liquor cabinet today, and I wanna make a chandler gimlet (1:1 gin to cordial). Now, do I use my regular copper still gin, my tanqueray rangpur, my Bombay Sapphire East, or my Unfiltered gin.

This is a great idea. I think a bottle of sweet vermouth and bitters is next on the list. Thanks!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Yeah, bitters and vermouth definitely on the list. I think I'm going to the liquor store today! I'll check on the Campari, they should definitely have it, and I do love me a negroni. Definitely not planning on mixing the Ardbeg, just mentioning that it's on hand :)

Also, word on the street is, the liquor store got some decent beers in from the UK. I AM EXCITED!

angor fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 12, 2013

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Destrado posted:

It's definitely a great whisky on its own, but you're missing out :colbert:

FINE. I'll mix it. Happy now?

I actually didn't know I could get good results mixing it, but it seems I'm wrong! Looks like I'll be making a batch of ginger-honey syrup soon. Thanks!

I really, really doubt I'll be able to get Cherry Heering out here :(. I've got some colleagues that are going to the US for a month or so. I might have to convince them to bring back some of the harder to find things.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
£30/month for 4 cocktails? If you consider that going out (in London anyways) and drinking a decent cocktail is going to cost you £8-15 anyways, this is actually a really cool idea!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Flint_Paper posted:

I think the Antica Formula is the sweet vermouth. Looks like they're suggesting making a perfect manhattan - the accompanying book says to use 10ml of sweet, 5ml of dry. Will make a couple tonight and report back, if anyone's keen?

Yes please! I don't live in the UK anymore but I know plenty of people who would love this. More pictures of the booklet or whatever print stuff they gave you would be cool too, if you don't mind.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Butch Cassidy posted:

Negronis really are great and worth a bottle of Campari on their own. And then you can try a Boulevardier (1.5 oz. Bourbon, 1 oz. each Campari and sweet vermouth) which I may like even more. The Americano is an awesome drink that can be a stepping stone to Campari and soda as you fall in love with bitters.

Just drank my first Boulevardier. Think I might have another :D

Number 2: Slightly less Campari and vermouth. Float a wee bit of Ardbeg 10 on top. Wow.

angor fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 2, 2013

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Capt. Awesome posted:

Still gross. This one actually went down the drain after trying a few sips. :(

Coming from a world where good booze is terribly difficult to find, and quite expensive, I hate you. But more so (and just barely, I might add), I pity you. I hope you find a good balance of Campari that you enjoy. It really is amazing. If you're having trouble combatting the bitterness, cut it with stronger flavours until you can appreciate the bitter note that the Campari adds, then build up from there.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

syntaxfunction posted:

I too threw caution to the wind and bought a bottle of Gin (Beefeater), Campari and Sweet Vermouth and made both an Americano and Negroni.

Possibly two of the worst drinks I've ever had. So, so bad. It wasn't just me either, I tried like four friends and they all thought it was foul. How do you people drink this?!

I then proceeded to buy a familiar spirit (CC) and made an Old Fashioned. Which is brilliant. Very tasty, would drink again.

I think I have learnt that Campari and Vermouth both suck. A lot.

I think you don't like the Negroni and Americano because of the bitter Campari, and not the vermouth. Try a sweet/perfect manhattan and see if you like that. That'll rule out the vermouth.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Butch Cassidy posted:

If you've never spent a chilly night passing a bottle of Johnnie red with a friend until it is empty, you are missing out :colbert:

I once did this with Grant's. Would not recommend.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Need help figuring out my booze situation.

This is what I currently have:
Angostura bitters
Hendrick's
Woodford Reserve
Grant's
Ardbeg 10
Campari
Martini Rosso sweet vermouth

Unfortunately, there are only 3 liquor stores in this country (Bahrain) and they don't have a great selection of stuff. I can find the odd gem here and there, but for the most part, it's just the basics.

Fortunately, I've got some family coming in about a month from the UK and they can bring two bottles each (woo hoo!), so that gives me a grand total of 6 bottles.

This is what I think I need:
Dark Rum - Pusser's? I can get Angostura 7yr, Lambs Navy, Myers Dark, Havana Club 7yr, and Appleton Estate Extra here.
Light Rum - Do I need light rum?
Gin - I can get Hendricks, Bombay Sapphire, Tanq (and tanq 10), Gordons and Beefeater here. Should I add something else to the list? Can't get Bluecoat in the UK unfortunately :(
Chartreuse - Green, right?
Maraschino - This one: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7875.aspx or this one:http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-3256.aspx ?
Bitters - I can only get Angostura here. Shall I get any of these? http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-345.aspx

So, from the UK, I definitely need Chartreuse, Maraschino and bitters. What else do you suggest?

EDIT: Holy hell how did I forget about Rye?! Rittenhouse 100 proof?

angor fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 13, 2013

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Finally got my bar sorted out! Well, not entirely, but I'm getting there. Here's what I have now:

Pusser's Rum
Ardbeg 10
Grant's Blended Scotch
Hendrick's (I know I need another gin. Will pick up a bottle of Tanqueray soon.)
Woodford Reserve Bourbon
Rittenhouse Rye 100proof
Cherry Heering
Luxardo Maraschino
Cinzano Sweet Vermouth
Green Chartreuse
Angostura Bitters
Peychaud's Bitters

Made a Last Word the other day. I think my limes must have been super sour or something because it totally overpowered the drink. I got hints of the herbal chartreuse coming through, which was excellent, but overall the lime killed it. I will definitely try again being careful of the lime.

I'd like to make a couple cocktails tonight. Any suggestions?

Also, besides the vermouth, is there anything else I should be keeping in the fridge?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

rxcowboy posted:

It's not the lines fault it's because Hendricks is literally the worst gin I could think of for a Last Word. It's over priced and not versatile at all. Redo it with the Tanqueray.

The Hendricks was a gift. I don't hate it, but I know you can't mix it in the same things you'd use other gins for. I'll try again with Tanqueray as soon as I pick some up.

I want to make delicious cocktails with Cherry Heering!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Made an Aviation for the lady and an old fashioned (with the Rittenhouse 100) for myself. Both loving excellent!

angor fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 31, 2013

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Anyone tried Beefeater 24? Opinions?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Martinez #1:
2oz Hendrick's Gin (I know guys. I know)
1.5oz M&R
Splash of Luxardo
Few dashes of Peychuad's

Pretty drat tasty. Maybe a touch too sweet. Going to remake this with 2oz gin, 1oz vermouth, and switch the Peychaud's to Angostura.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Anarkii posted:

I have some friends coming back from a trip to Tanzania and they're getting a local liquor called Konyagi for me. I can't even find a wikipedia article for this, but from googling I see it's some kind of gin with some citrus and some herbal notes? I searched around for cocktail recipes using Konyagi and most of them seem either too basic (add a lime twist and drink) or gross (drink with sprite).

Does anyone have any idea of uses for Konyagi? Is it just rubbish and I shouldn't bother?

Ask them if they can find a bottle of Waragi instead because Konyagi pales in comparison :colbert:

In all seriousness, Konyagi + ginger ale (or ginger beer) + lime = Delicious (and lots of very faded, very twisted memories :D)

EDIT: If you can find bitter lemon, use that. Konyagi/Waragi and bitter lemon is about as 'classic' as a cocktail you can make with these liquors.

angor fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 9, 2014

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Just so I'm clear: Dolin Rouge and Vya Dry, right?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Kenning posted:

You have it exactly right.

Just got some bad news. I may only be able to get one or the other. Locally, I can get M&R and Cinzano (both dry and sweet for both).

If I had to give up either the Dolin Rouge or Vya Dry, given my current choices, which one gets sacrificed?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Does that make it a Bloody Maria?

When I was in Zambia I went to this restaurant and under the virgin cocktail list, there was a "Bloody Shame". Got a chuckle out of that :).

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
The update no one asked for...

I got both Vya and Dolin!!!! Very excited :D

Currently drinking a martini. 6:1, Tanqueray:Vya, and it's fantastic. Can't wait to try the Dolin!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Made a negroni with equal parts Campari, Tanqueray, and Dolin Rouge. Ohmygod so good.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Did a little experiment yesterday. Made an old fashioned with Angostura 1919, demerara sugar, Angostura bitters, and splash of orange blossom water.

Probably one of the best drinks I've ever personally made.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Pro-tip: If you make raita (and you really should), after grating your cucumbers use a cheesecloth, ricer, hands to squeeze the excess water. Not only does your raita get non-watery, the cucumber water is EXCELLENT in gin cocktails!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My brother has 2 bottles of Southern Comfort (no idea why) and wants to use it up in a punch. Any ideas?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Nicol Bolas posted:

The simplest thing to do is just mix it with lemonade. SoCo is very, very sweet so lemonade cuts that. You could also throw it in with some unsweetened black tea and lemonade for a boozy arnold palmer thing.

If you hate your brother and want to give him a very serious hangover, here is also a helldrink we used to make called "the gummy bear," if you're into that kind of (horrible) thing:

2 parts SoCo
2 parts Midori (or other melon liqueur)
2 parts amaretto
1 part grenadine
2 parts sour mix
1 part soda water

(I cannot endorse the creation or consumption of this drink but we used to make it for people who wanted something that didn't taste like booze. Garnish with a gummy worm to complete the shame.)

Apparently there is also this recipe for a Fog Cutter which uses SoCo.

Honestly, you're not going to find too many non-trashy drinks made with SoCo, because it's not whiskey, it's a liqueur for people who want to pretend they drink whiskey. (Seriously, the ingredients include neutral grain spirits and whiskey flavoring.)

Yeah, I figured as much. I really don't even know why he has it, it's not his style at all, just texted me this afternoon asking for a punch recipe to use up 2 liters of the stuff. I kinda like the arnold palmer idea. Maybe make his own lemonade? Lapsang Souchong for the tea to make it interesting?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Nicol Bolas posted:

That sounds awesome. Maybe sweeten the lemonade (or limeade) with some brown sugar to support the smoky flavor? Go for under-sweetening the stuff, though.

Despite all my SoCo-based derision, the SoCo Pepper is surprisingly less terrible than the original, and quite shootable (I have trouble turning down shots of terrible things just so I can say I've tried them)--I wonder if you could put some kind of peppery business in with it too?

I ran this by him, and he's also thinking about lining the glasses with smoked paprika, so I suppose that might add some peppery-ness? Maybe I should tell him to cut the paprika with black pepper? This is actually starting to sound not half bad. Too bad I won't be there to try it!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
So I live in a country where booze is very, very expensive, and the selection is horrible (thanks, Middle East!). So, when people come and visit, I get hella excited, because they can are required to bring 2 bottles each :D

For Christmas, I have 3 people visiting. Here's my list:

Rum:
Smith and Cross
Santa Teresa

Tequila:
Casa Noble Blanco

Gin:
Bombay Dry

Mezcal:
Del Maguey Chichicapa

I've left it to my brother to pick out the single malt, so he'll sort that out. From my list, I've only ever had the Bombay. How did I do?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Nicol Bolas posted:

If you've never had Smith & Cross before, you might be surprised. Its not like a normal rum. It's very funky, sulfurous, and is not the smooth sweet sipper you might be expecting. It does great in cocktails, like an old fashioned, but it's a far cry from Zaya or Ron Zacapa or the other, common high end rums.

That's cool. We've blown through 2 bottles of Angostura 1919 which I really really (super) liked as a sipping rum. I thought we needed to change it up again seeing as my Pusser's ran out as well, so I opted for the Smith and Cross to replace the Pusser's for cocktails and the Santa Teresa for sipping.

Also, I've never had mezcal before, so I'm really excited to try that. My go-to scotches are Ardbeg and Laphroaig which cover the smokey aspect, but other than that, I have NO idea what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Every time I see tasting notes for mezcal it's something like that. I remember reading about one that tasted of "sunshine and scorched earth".