Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Corb3t posted:

https://youtu.be/2RA3AaCO7A8

Has anybody here tried making “Super Juice”? I made a batch of lime and lemon juice and was pretty happy with the results. The mouthfeel isn’t quite the same as the juice of an actual citrus fruit, but I find the oils that get extracted out of the rind have a really great flavor that you don’t get from the juice. You really get a lot out of your fruit, and the acids didn’t cost me much.

I’ve even gotten into the habit of zesting any citrus I have and freezing it for future use. Normally I keep some frozen citrus ice cubes I can use for cocktails when I have friends over, but being able to just use frozen rinds to make fresh juice is pretty convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve been really enjoying Wisconsin Old Fashions, especially with some dashes of Reagan’s and extra orange juice (filtered). I’ve been using St Remy XO, but I’m out. What would be a good replacement brandy? I’m willing to go fruit flavoured.

what about Pierre Ferrand 1840? Laird's Applejack is also good with OJ & Orange Bitters

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 12, 2023

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Neither available in my province (Nova Scotia)

I'd try Boulard Calvados or Hennessy VS

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Booties posted:

I just keep those bottles on hand for when those kind of gusts return. Once open it becomes cooling wine or I dump it.

:yeah: if it's open make a roast with it or pour it into the sink

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

The Maestro posted:

OJ ruins every cocktail it touches

Edit to not be such a contrarian rear end: try triple sec or grand marnier in place. Basically a Corpse Reviver

Soft agree, but fresh squeezed OJ is a good compliment to another kind of juice as in a bebbo or painkiller.

& bad triple sec (Hiram's etc) ruins more drinks than OJ.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

The only great one I can think of that has OJ as a major ingredient is the Calvados Cocktail - a weird one due to the a half jigger of Orange Bitters

1 1/2 oz Calvados (or Applejack)
1 1/2 oz Fresh Squeezed OJ
3/4 oz Cointreau (or Orange Curaçao)
3/4 oz Orange Bitters

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Brandy doesn't go bad

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

that's a good price

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Carillon posted:

Made a boulevardier subbing in cynar for campari. It's really nice! Would recommend, smokey and bitter.

That sounds great! Bitter Giuseppe is one of my favs so I'm already convinced Cynar + Sweet Vermouth is a winning combo. And I'm not usually a huge fan of Carpano Antica but it's really good with Cynar.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I had zero time to go anywhere but a supermarket by the hotel on my business trip to Brazil, and the most expensive bottle was this one at about $11USD, but it's pretty drat good :)

That's a good looking caipirinha

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

got some chores tonight posted:

i would not describe myself as someone who prefers "sweet" cocktails, but i also recently noticed the discrepancy between beachbum and smugglers cove and i agree that a jungle bird does better with 4 oz pineapple juice than 2 oz.

I'd have to agree with this. I love Campari - Campari neat is one of my favorite drinks - but the Jungle Bird is just better as a highball.

The other night I felt like a Jungle Bird but wanted to use Orgeat. I found the Bermuda Hundred which has Gin in place of Rum and Orgeat for Simple. It sounded interesting but it was very disappointing; don't bother.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

About half the time I replace the campari with Cynar 70. This is very good.

Goddamn I just saw this, need to try it next time.

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 25, 2023

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Raising the proof could help slow the oxidation. In any case I doubt it would spoil more quickly than an opened bottle of vermouth.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

tonedef131 posted:

I don’t like gin Negronis either but you should try a Kingston Negroni or Boulevardier, they’re both fantastic.

yes. and mescal negronis. all great drinks and and americanos are somehow near the top of this list of hard hitters. campari is really good

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Tremors posted:

While we're on batch cocktails, it's about time to fill my draft keg with margarita. I've been a fan of Costco's mixer but they switched it this year to some organic version that tastes like trash. Any citrus juicer recommendations if I want to get enough to make a 3 gallon batch without hating myself?

Thought about doing a ratio of Rose's Lime Cordial to Fresh Lime to limit the pain?

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

I've never found a use for Yellow that wasn't just as good when replaced by Strega.

The Stark Cocktail is great with Strega

0.5 oz lemon juice
0.5 oz honey syrup
0.75 oz yellow Chartreuse (or Strega)
1.5 oz bourbon
2 dashes Angostura

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Beefeater is my favorite value gin. I'll spend $40 on rums I'm putting into weak Tiki drinks but balk at $30 bottles of gin for standing up nearly alone in a martini since Beefeater does the job so nicely.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

prayer group posted:

I cannot stand Citadelle. Someone mentioned it tasting like aspartame and now it's all I can taste from it.

:agreed: And it's more expensive than Beefeater!

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Toronto is a fantastic cocktail. Basically anything that's rye + amaro is good. That's why I drink so many Rynars - rye and cynar 50/50.

Just made a Rynar. I like this rule, looking forward to trying a ryemaro nonino and a ryemaro di angostura

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

prayer group posted:

i didn't know Novo Fogo even made a barrel aged expression. i'm not surprised to hear it kinda sucks. i keep seeing misguided producers throwing poo poo in bourbon barrels to entice bourbon drinkers, but as you said, why not just drink bourbon?

Good point, take that, Scotland :scotland:

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I have my chartreuse earmarked for Rye Hummingbird Downs. I miss Last Words but Rye Hummingbird Downs are just as good, maybe better, and stretch it a lot further. Even before the shortage that poo poo was expensive

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Clairin Le Rocher

yes to this. but too much feels like Auto-Brewery Syndrome

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Found a Beachbum Berry recipe I really enjoy that has gone over well with friends. To reopen Orange Juice chat it's now definitely my favorite drink with OJ as the weak.

Molokai Mule

1 oz Brandy/Cognac
1 oz Light Rum (I used Plantation 3 Stars)
1 oz Demerara Rum (I used 1/2 Hamilton 86 1/2 OFTD)
1 oz Orgeat
1 oz Lime Juice
2 oz OJ

I don't know why it's called a "Mule" - it's more similar to a Fog Cutter with more rum instead of gin.

No overproof is called for, but Lemonhart 151 and OFTD are of course really tasty in this as half or all of the dark rum.

The original recipe calls for "Light Puerto Rican Rum" but I've made this with Bacardi Superior and it's not nearly as good. There are some fantastic light rums for under $20, I don't see any reason to skimp there.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I instantly know what a "Rum Caipirinha" is and it sounds great. A "Daiquiri prepared like a Caipirinha" isn't as appealing. Going with the method of preparation makes sense to me.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Roku, like Hendrick’s, is gin for people who don’t like gin (or at least juniper)

I like it, but feel like it’s not a real gin

In a martini (or neat) it's nice but a little wimpy, in a negroni it gets overshadowed, but it's amazing in a Singapore Sling.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Rec some plastic cocktail glasses that are p. swanky, for outdoor use. I need something for sippin by the (no glass) pool. I was thinking like some stemless wine glasses maybe? Just regular gasses, no coupes or anything (drinks with ice). I plan to have a hydroflask of something and a bag of ice and I’ll just pour into it.

Not sure what brand they are but I got a ton of use out of my plastic double old fashioned glasses. (lemon not pictured)

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I'd try to keep it cold to preserve the quality of the lime juice. You could shake it without ice and put it in a fridge or cooler - the drink will actually be just a bit too tart and strong but pouring it over ice will balance that out.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Shaking with ice serves two purposes, getting the drink cold *quickly* and deproofing it a little, and neither is necessary here. Of course a little ice wouldn't do any harm but it won't keep cold on the drive. If you don't have a cooler freezing it sounds like the best plan.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I use rye in Manhattans 99% of the time

same here, but this sounds halfway between a manhattan and a left hand so bourbon sounds like a good way to go!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also my parents went to Argentina and brought me back stuff I'm so happy

e: the Fernet 1882 is a local brand from Cordoba where Fernet first got big in AR. It tastes like a cleaner, drier Fernet-Branca I'm really excited to mix with it

:eyepop:

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Qylvaran posted:

I'll try throwing some stuff I have together to see if the formula holds up.

I don't have anything I'd consider an herbal liqueur, but I have absinthe. I could use 1/4 ounce and add simple and water to simulate the classic way to serve it. Do y'all think it would work as a substitute? Maybe different ratios?

For a base, I'm thinking Roku gin. My liquor cabinet is mostly whiskey, and I'd rather add more botanicals.

Lime for the citrus, because I have limes.

Maraschino for similar reasons.

If it works, I'll call it The Green Cherry (unless that's already taken). I'll let you know this weekend how it goes.

Most absinthe cocktails I've enjoyed have just a dash, or a teaspoon at most - like the Corpse Reviver #2. With those ingredients I might try going heavy on the gin - maybe a ratio like a gimlet with maraschino instead of simple and a dash of absinthe?

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

My best last word attempt was rum benedictine maraschino and lime. But benedictine is plenty sweet on its own. I found this recipe in Beachbum Berry's Grog Log and turns out it's better without the maraschino, using lemon, and with a somewhat bizarre ratio.

Lani Honi

1.5 oz benedictine
1 oz light rum
0.5 oz lemon

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Plantation 3 Star seems like the best liquor for the price, period. Just an astounding quality for the price.

obi_ant posted:

1oz Plat. Pineapple and 1oz Smith & Cross Makes for a good Mai Tai. Easy drinking when I don’t want a heavy one.

That sounds great, going to do this to shock a friend who is into weird and funky rums.

Drinking a 1/2 Denizen merchant's Reserve 1/2 Plantation OFTD Mai Tai right now. Plantation rums kick rear end.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Ben Nevis posted:

Thinking through The Formula, is there a non-citrus sour option? Pineapple Juice? Passionfruit? Some other thing?

nope

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

tonedef131 posted:

”Trinidad Sour”

:yeah: Or if you like orange bitters, the Calvados Cocktail.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Sounds great, adding Chinola to my liquor run list.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Sounds like you're enjoying it but it's missing a bit of proof and depth? Maybe add a half ounce of overproof dark rum like OFTD or Lemonhart 151. An ounce of dark rum could do the job but might tip the balance if you're enjoying how the fruit liquors come through.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

A half ounce of OFTD won't make a 6oz tall drink taste like alcohol.

But yeah, if your fruit brandies are all 40% I guess I could see not trying that.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I don't know why it works but OJ, Rum, Orgeat, Citrus, and Brandy is a magical combination. It's the boilerplate for the only OJ cocktails I drink now, the Fogg Cutter and the Molokai Mule.

I would try to boil it down to something like this and then start adding from there. This would be Molokai Mule with fruit brandy:

1 oz lime
2 oz OJ
1 oz banana, apricot, blackberry or other brandy
2 oz ham 86
1 oz orgeat

I don't think the botanicals and bitters are necessary here. Might still seem like a lot of ingredients but its half the fun of making tropical drinks.

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 4, 2023

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

A friend made me one of these to showcase his herb garden:

The Nice Nice

2 oz. Bourbon
3/4 oz. Aperol
1/2 oz. Simple Syrup
3 drops Orange Flower Water
4-6 fresh basil leaves

Shake with ice and strain
Coupe Glass
Garnish with a single basil leaf

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I would also like to express my fondness for Beefeater, the preferred gin of Strange Matter's grandmother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

70? 80? Somewhere around there.