Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have about 1/5 of a bottle of vodka left over (what's a fifth by the way? not 1/5 the other thing). What should I mix it with? Where do I get glasses and shot glasses and stuff? I tried the liquor store but they don't have glasses and poo poo. Also, what else can I make with something besides vodka? How does rum, jaegermeister, etc. work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any recommendations for hot/warm cocktails? It's getting cold here and I'd like to try making something that'd warm me up instead of cool me down. The simpler the better, though I have some leeway in making stuff.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Gonna try making a hot toddy. Guess I'm picking up some rum tonight. And maybe next I go to the supermarket, I'll get ingredients for the drambuie and hot cider. :getin:

Edit: Ended up grabbing a nip of Jameson's, brewing some hot water, warming a coffee mug, and putting together 1/2 cup hot water, 1 nip of Jamesons, 2 tsp of sugar, a splash of lemon juice, and a squeeze of maple syrup. I like it!!! Next time I might add more lemon juice and stew some cloves and cinnamon in it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 6, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Picked up some calvados (Menorval Tres Vieux XO) during my most recent run to Kappy's and I don't think I can down it straight up. I could always use it in a hot toddy, but it seems like a bit of a waste. Is there a particularly good cocktail to use it in, or should I soldier on and learn to like it neat?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Give it some ice. If it's on the sweeter side hit it with a single dash of Ango. Or fashion more of a brandy old fashioned with your choice of sweetener and bitters. Love me some Calvados.

Much more complicated: use it in a Vieux Carré instead of cognac. Yum.

Ooh, that last one sounds pretty good. Once I have a minibar built up, I might just go for that. Right now I've been cutting it with some umeshu (since the latter has a great taste but is lower in alcohol and very sweet) and I got plans to put it in coffee tomorrow.

I still don't quite understand the use of bitters, but I'm a piece of poo poo who likes everything to be extremely sweet, so...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

goferchan posted:

Bitters are great in sweet drinks, grab some and start throwing them in stuff to see what sticks. Think of them like adding salt to food -- even if you can't taste the bitters themselves in small amount, they'll add extra complexity to a drink and bring out other flavors

Ohhh, I see. Okay, that makes sense. Maybe I'll pick some up next I'm at the store. What kinds are recommended?

Apparently Jaegermeister is considered digestive bitters? Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Picked up some Angostura + Fee Brothers Orange bitters, might just try this out when I get a chance.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 9, 2018