Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Yeah Angostura for Mojitos. If you own 1 bottle of bitters, it should be Angostura. Second bottle, you will probably hear an argument between Peychaud's and orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Since we're talking about gin and blueberries are in season:

Blueberry Boat

3oz gin
1oz lemon juice
1oz simple syrup
~10 blueberries
Handful of basil leaves

Muddle blueberries and basil with the simple syrup, add rest. Shake and double strain into a chilled flute. Garnish with a couple blueberries.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

rj54x posted:

So I recently came into many bunches of several different kinds of basil. I've been thinking I'd like to make a cocktail with some of them, but I'd rather it wasn't a gin base. Any other suggestions that will really highlight the flavor of the (home-grown, of course) basil? In a slightly different direction, would a vodka infusion be a good idea?

Basil and whiskey go well together, just put some simple syrup in there to sweeten it up.

Doh004 posted:

Google isn't really helping me, but I bought a bag of key limes because I don't know why.

You can use key limes for regular lime juice, don't over think. :)

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That sounds really good, actually. How strong is it? I'm kind of sketchy on gin, but the lemon juice and blueberries sound amazing.

Yeah, it's great. It's my favorite thing about blueberries being in season. I wouldn't say it's strong, it's a great balance of sweet, tart, and herbal.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Are there any interesting variations that people have tried? (Aside from making it with cognac instead of gin?)

When I make them with gin I like to put a dash or 2 of cranberry bitters in.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

silvergoose posted:

If making a vodka gimlet, is it just 4 parts vodka, 1 part (fresh?) lime juice, 1/2-1 part simple syrup? Internets are giving me conflicting accounts, including "never use anything other than this specific brand of lime juice, you monster".

You'll get differing opinions on this but I believe a Gimlet is made specifically with Rose's lime juice. If you make it with fresh lime juice call it a California Gimlet.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

The Spaghetti Western

1 oz Tequila
3/4 oz Amaretto
1/2 oz Gran Marnier or equivalent
Fill with Grapefruit juice

Is this a drink? Because I made it and it's delicious. I still want to play with the ratios a bit, but for now, this is good. My friend suggested the name.

I made a drink with this name the other day, I found the recipe here.

2 ounces Hudson Manhattan rye
3/4 ounce Solerno
1/2 ounce Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
2 dashes Angostura bitters

I didn't have blood orange liqueur, so I used Combier. It was really good, sweet and spicy. A nice, complex, slow sipper.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Meaty Ore posted:

1.5 oz gin (Hendrick's used)
.5 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin)
.25 oz absinthe (Vieux Carre)
2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
1-2 drops of rose water
Shake with ice and strain into a glass, garnish with citrus peel (I used lemon).

I'll try this tonight with your proposed changes, as I think absinthe is at it's best just rinsing the glass. It's kind of like the anchovy of cocktails. I'm a big fan of a grapefruit peel with sweet vermouth, so that sounds good too. Reading this I can't believe I've never tried anything with Hendricks and rose water before, so you're on to something there. I'm wondering how essential the Peychaud's are though.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
If you are looking for something else to do with that raspberry tincture.

1.5oz gin
.75oz lemon juice
.75oz tincture
1 egg white

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Jahoodie posted:

I imagine a big old grapefruit peel, twisted and expressed over the glass, would add the right amount of bittering citrus if you killed the Peychaud's. I'm imagining that this drink might be better with that freshness, rather than the musty zing of Peychaud's.

I made the drink once with the Peychaud's, and once without. They definitely made a difference, and made it taste more like a complete drink. The one without clearly had something missing. It was just way too simple. Both had glasses misted with absinthe and an expressed grapefruit peel. I felt both of those elements worked really well. Drinking it now I still can't help but feel it's incomplete. Maybe something to work with the floral qualities.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Those are great. I also like the Japanese. I believe this is the first cocktail where the name did not indicate what was in it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I don't know...I've heard one origin story of the Sazerac that claims it was named after the brand name of the spirit used in it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Vegetable Melange posted:

sazeracs were originally made with cognac (try it sometime but lean back on the syrup) and sazerac rye has been around less than a hundred years, I believe.

Yeah, that's the story I've heard. Whiskey exchange has heard the same tale as well.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Make some falernum.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I use the cold method, but just equal parts POM and sugar in a mason jar, shake until dissolved. I don't use grenadine often enough to justify any more effort than that. Although I don't use it all that often, I would really hate to reach for it and it not be there.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Seconding Bulleit Rye, I really enjoy it. For bourbon, I really love Michter's single barrel.

As far as drinks go...

Armistice - 1.5oz rye, .25oz Green Chartreuse, .5oz dry vermouth, .25oz maraschino, 2 dashes barrel aged bitters. Stir/coupe.

Rhythm & Soul - 2oz rye, .5oz Amaro, .5oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/Absinthe rinsed rocks/lemon peel.

Toronto - 2oz rye, .25oz Fernet-Branca, .25oz simple syrup, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe/flamed orange peel.

Dale's Sazerac - 1 oz cognac, 1 oz rye, 1/2 oz simple syrup, 2 dashes Angostura, 2 dashes Peychaud's, Absinthe rinsed rocks, Lemon twist.

Boulevard de Reves - 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz sweet vermouth, 1oz Campari. Stir/coupe/.25oz aged rum float, lemon peel.

Left Hand - 1.5oz bourbon, .75oz Campari, .75oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes mole bitters. Stir/Coupe/Cherry.

Also basil and whiskey go really well together, just muddle some basil with some simple syrup, toss in some rye and lemon juice, shake.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I used to make those a really long time ago, it's been a while.

I muddled a handful of slices. I also liked throwing some parsley in the mix too.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

It also reminded me that I loving love amaretto, any other good drinks to make with this?

1.5oz Amaretto, .75oz Bourbon, 1oz lemon juice, splash of simple syrup, 1 egg white.

Shake and double strain into a double old fashioned glass over some ice and garnish with a lemon peel.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Some friends brought over some homemade cranberry sauce last night, and I wanted to use it in a cocktail. It wasn't anything crazy, just cranberries mashed with some sugar basically. This is what I came up with:

2 oz cognac
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz maple syrup
heaping spoonful of cranberry sauce
2 dashes Angostura

Shake and double strain into a coupe, I didn't garnish it with anything.

I don't really like to toot my own but it was pretty great. I did have a hard time doing the double strain. I use a small sieve when I double strain, and this drink was clogging it really quickly, so I had to keep rinsing the strainer to keep pouring. Right now when I am pouring a drink that does this I do it next to the sink and just keep rinsing the strainer when it gets clogged, which is a pain. Is there anything I can do in these situations to make my life easier?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I keep on meaning to expand my spirit selection so I can actually make some cocktails at home, but then I go to my local shop and just buy more gin. 8 bottles and counting.

Maybe I should just buy some vermouth and make all the martinis

Buy 8 bottles each of sweet vermouth and Campari and make all the Negronis.

Kidding aside, gin can do so much more than make a martini, especially if you love it so much.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

edit: Bought some Cointreau. White lady: egg white or no?

If you like drinks with egg white in them, then yeah.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Irving posted:

Gordon's breakfast is a great drink:

http://drinkawaytime.com/2011/03/15/recipes-gordons-breakfast/

I usually add olives as well.

Seconding this, so good.

As written the drink starts out on the sweet side, but really gets better as the ice melts, so I would say plenty of cracked ice is key.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Fitzgerald - 1.5oz gin, .75oz lemon juice, .75oz simple syrup, 3 dashes Angostura bitters. Shake/coupe/lemon peel.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
^^^^^ Seconding the raspberry/gin/lemon juice/simple syrup/egg combo, throw some raspberry liqueur in there too for fun.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

KWC posted:

2) I would love to do a third Classic cocktail but again run into the issue of putting it into a carafe for a couple hours. Any other recommendations?

I assume you mean do a fourth? If you want to do the same three you have in your photo, but add another, you can represent rum with a Daiquiri. If you wanted to mix it up, you could keep the base spirit the same but change the drinks out. I love the suggestion of a Japanese, and that could replace your Sidecar. Swap out the gin Martini for something like a Fitezgerald, Pegu Club, or a Negroni (2oz gin?!?!?!), and the Manhattan for a Left Hand or an Algonquin or something similar.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
It adds a really great silky creamyness, and a richness as well. I have drinks with egg white in them all the time and I'm fine. I imagine the alcohol and when applicable, citrus juice, go a long way to get rid of anything bad. Although I stopped being afraid of eggs a long time ago.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Arkham Angel posted:

Hmm. I may work up the courage to try an egg-white based drink, assuming I can get sufficiently fresh eggs. Any suggestions for things to do with the yolk? Hate to waste perfectly good food.

Make ice cream, salad dressing, throw it into your next batch of scrambled eggs. For a good cocktail, an egg yolk is a worthy sacrifice though. Of course I think 2 lemon peels off a lemon is worth the price, so don't go by me.

Try to get over your egg fear so it doesn't hurt your enjoyment of the drink.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Arkham Angel posted:

What do you think of the Patron Citronage orange liqueur? We have a bottle in our bar currently, along with Gran Gala, which is fine mixed. Not a huge fan of the brandy-based orange liqueurs unless they're making friends with other boozes, chocolate, or ice cream. Currently lusting after a bottle of cointreau.

Also what are the flavor palettes for the chartreuses, campari, st. germain and benedictine? I want to try them out, but a bottle is such a huge investment.

Citronage is on the sweet side, which isn't bad, but when I want that, I prefer Combier. I always have Cointreau on the bar as well.

Chartreuse is sweet and very herbal. I personally love it and think what it brings to a cocktail is very unique, and worth having around. Something to consider when thinking about taking the plunge on a bottle of it is it will last you a while because you'll only use it in small doses, like 1/4oz at a time, usually. Although I use both, Green gets more use, so I'd go with that. Campari has a bitter grapefruit vibe to it, with a bit of sweetness. It is a very versatile way to add bitterness to a drink and the things it does with sweet vermouth are nothing short of magical, another bottle I keep on hand at all times. St Germain is sweet and very floral. It works very well with bitter/citrus flavors, and is an ingredient in one of my favorite drinks, the Apparent Sour. This is another bottle I always have on hand because it can add a great floral sweetness to a drink that wants it. Benedictine I can't really speak to because I find it too medicinal, but it also has a very strong herbal quality, like Chartreuse.

Klauser fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 14, 2012

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You can use your judgement on that. I almost always ignore specific brands in recipes, unless I really feel like there is no substitute.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

marmot25 posted:

(Related: I'm open to hearing suggestions for cocktails with St. Germaine that don't involve cracking open an entire bottle of sparkling wine.)

Apparent Sour - 1.5oz Aperol .75oz St. Germain .75oz lime juice shake/coupe/Rosemary sprig garnish

The French Intervention - 2oz tequila .5oz Cynar .5oz elderflower liqueur 2 dashes Angostura bitters Stir/coupe/lemon peel

That's My Word - .75oz each gin, Yellow Chartreuse, elderflower liqueur, Lime juice, grapefruit peel. Shake/coupe/cherry

Ding Ho - 2oz gin .5oz elderflower liqueur .5oz orgeat .5oz lime juice. Shake/old fashioned/cherry garnish.

Sister Mary 1oz blanco tequila 1oz elderflower liqueur .25oz Aperol .75oz grapefruit. Shake/coupe/no garnish.

Don't Mind If I Do - .5oz gin .5oz elderflower liqueur .5oz simple .75oz lime juice 1 dash celery bitters Shake/old fashioned

Olde City Sour - 2oz Applejack 1oz elderflower liqueur .5oz lemon. Shake/coupe/lemon peel.

Vieux Mot - 1.5oz gin .75oz lemon juice .5oz elderflower liqueur .5oz simple syrup. Shake/strain/coupe. No garnish.

Red Rot - 1.5oz gin, .5oz St. Germain, .5oz Cherry Heering, .5oz lemon juice, 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters shake/coupe

Ninth Ward - 1.5oz bourbon, .5oz St Germain, .75oz falernum, .75oz lime juice, 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters shake/coupe

Le Roi Robert - 1oz blended scotch, 1oz St. Germain, 1/2oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, stir/coupe/cherry garnish

Boutonniere 2oz Applejack, 1oz dry vermouth, .5oz St. Germain, dash Peychaud's, dash orange bitters, stir/coupe/orange peel garnish

Dunniette - 1 1/2oz gin, 1/2oz St. Germain, 1/2oz Aperol, 1/2oz lemon juice shake/coupe

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Invalid Octopus posted:

What are some good cocktails that include amaretto? Maraschino liqueur? Crème de violette?

I don't use Amaretto or violette all that often, so I'm not much help there, I did just make this recently though:

Wonderful - 1oz rye, .5oz amaretto, .75oz lemon juice, .5oz ginger liqueur, handful pomegranate seeds. Muddle/shake/coupe.

That one is mine, the rest of these are not and are just drinks I've made in the past.

Hemingway Daiquiri - 2oz rum, .75oz lime juice, .5oz grapefruit juice, .25oz maraschino liqueur Shake/coupe/lime wedge

Carroll Gardens - 2oz rye, .5oz amaro, .5oz sweet vermouth, bsp maraschino liqueur. Stir/coupe/lemon twist/

Armistice 1.5oz rye .25oz Green Chartreuse .5oz dry vermouth .25oz maraschino 2 dashes barrel aged bitters. Stir/coupe

The Grand Street - 2oz gin .5oz sweet vermouth .25oz Cynar .25oz maraschino liqueur. Stir/coupe

Compass Rose 1.5oz cognac .75oz Campari .25oz maraschino liqueur 1ds whiskey barrel aged bitters. Stir/coupe/lem peel

Newark - 2oz Applejack 1oz sweet vermouth .25oz Fernet Branca .25oz maraschino liqueur. Stir/coupe

Cherry Pop 2oz gin 1oz lem jce .5oz maraschino liqueur .5oz simple 2 pitted cherries Muddle/shake/strain

Last Word 1/2 oz gin 1/2 oz green Chartreuse 1/2 oz maraschino liqueur 1/2 oz lime juice

Mary Pickford 1 1/4 oz rum 1 oz pineapple juice 3 dashes grenadine 3 dashes maraschino liqueur Cherry garnish

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Klauser, I was recently gifted a bottle of Italian "mirto" and a bottle of Benedictine. Any recommendations for cocktails that use either of those?

Sorry, I'm no help for either of those bottles.

Halloween Jack posted:

Should I just make my grenadine with pomegranate juice, or is it worthwhile to introduce blackcurrant or other apocryphal things I've heard of going into grenadines?

I've said it before, but I just do a simple cold method of equal parts pomegranate juice and sugar, shake the poo poo out of it. I don't use grenadine all that often, so that level of effort is fine with me.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Gravity Pike posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do with this gin?

Peppery gin? First thing that comes to mind is a Gordon's Breakfast. Would work in a Negroni as well.

I've made a few where it would work, I think.

That Green Drink - 2oz gin, .75oz dry vermouth, .5oz green Chartreuse, .75oz lime juice, .5oz simple syrup, ~2 cucumber slices. Muddle/iced double old fashioned

Cin Cyn - 1oz each Gin, Cynar, & Sweet Vermouth 2dashes orange bitters. Stir/Coupe/Orange peel garnish

The Grand Street - 2oz gin .5oz sweet vermouth .25oz Cynar .25oz maraschino liqueur. Stir/coupe

La Dura Vita - 1.5oz gin, 1oz Campari, .5oz Averna, lemon twist garnish. Stir/Strain into iced rocks glass

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

MC Eating Disorder posted:

The recipe I used was:

30 angostura bitters
30 orgeat
22.5 lemon juice
15 rye whiskey

Such a balling, hearty drink but it really felt like a pre dinner drink and putting something like that up in a cocktail glass instead of a coupette felt so weird

That's a Trinidad Sour. If you want to recalculate...make half of one?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Sweet vermouth and orange liqueur stand out right away, cognac too.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
What do you do with Cherry Heering? I've had a bottle forever and barely touch it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

angor posted:

I think I'll pick up Martini Rosso (sweet vermouth)

If you are getting everything from that same site, I would go with the Punt E Mes instead.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Duey posted:

Did you come up with these or did you grab them from somewhere?

No, if I post a recipe that's mine I tend to say so. They're just all c/p from my twitter feed. When I make a drink that's new to me, I tweet it. It's mostly an easy way for me to keep track of what I've made, but I have a few followers who enjoy it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Arkham Angel posted:

I also got a bottle of campari and tried to make negronis, but they were too bitter/herbal for my taste. Any other ideas of what to do with it?

Campari, eh? The Left Hand is one of my favorite drinks in existence.

Left Hand - 1.5oz bourbon, .75oz Campari, .75oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes mole bitters. Stir/Coupe/Cherry garnish

A Telling Tale - 2oz bourbon, .5oz Campari, .5oz grenadine, .25oz lemon juice, ~7 mint leaves. Shake/flute/top with bubbly.

Rosemary's Bambino - 1oz ea. Bourbon, Campari, sweet vermouth, & grapefruit Stir/double rocks/big cube/rosemary sprig garnish

Boulevard de Reves - 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz sweet vermouth, 1oz Campari. Stir/coupe/.25oz aged rum float, lemon peel garnish.

Compass Rose - 1.5oz cognac, .75oz Campari, .25oz maraschino liqueur, 1dash whiskey barrel aged bitters. Stir/coupe/lemon peel

Siesta - 2oz tequila, .5oz Campari, .5oz simple syrup, .5oz grapefruit juice, .5oz lime juice. Shake/coupe/grapefruit peel garnish.

La Dura Vita - 1.5oz gin, 1oz Campari, .5oz Averna, lemon twist garnish. Stir/Strain into iced rocks glass.

Easy Does It - 1oz gin, 1/2oz Aperol, 1/4oz Campari, 1oz grapefruit juice, 1/2oz simple syrup

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
So I finally broke down and did a couple infusions. Up till now they just never seemed worth doing, but I saw a recipe that called for tea-infused gin that I really wanted to do, so I made some. I also did some vanilla infused bourbon while I was at it because why not.

The 2 recipes I read that called for these things really didn't blow me away, but I did like how they both came out and wanted to find something to do with them that I liked. I'm really happy with what I did with the gin.

Earl-y To Bed
1 oz Earl Grey infused gin
1 oz cognac
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup

I have always been a huge fan of what cognac and tea do together, and it really works here. The cognac really turns up the tea flavor, and vice versa. The citrus and sweetener are up for interpretation. I tried St. Germain first, but it didn't really work. I also tried meyer lemon juice, but I thought that wasn't best either. I had the meyer lemons around because my wife candied a bunch of peels. She had some pretty amazing tasting lemon simple syrup left over when she was done, so I will try that next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Boulevard de Reves - 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz sweet vermouth, 1oz Campari. Stir/coupe/aged rum float, lemon peel garnish.