Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I listened to this a year ago and didn't 'get it'. It's just two guys talking about crap. I could do that on the couch with my flatmates.

I've listened to ten episodes in the past two days. Oh my, what a goldmine!

Q: Should I start from the start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Damo posted:

It's not UYD, it's just the awkwardness of the obsessed laugh-at-their-every-word type crowds that go along with it.
I can understand this. It's like Doctor Who fandom or any other fandom. Some people seem to be more into being part of an 'injoke cool crowd' and I think UHY fanbase is pretty susceptible to this. Like you, I prefer to listen from a distance.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Seth's speech pattern is really ruining me. I was at a social get together the other next, two beers in, and I kept saying "2013" "What are you going to do about it?" . Terrible! :(

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

OK, let's stop jumping on the 'WoG is a terrible poster' bandwagon because his posts are low hanging fruit and was probably just having a bad day.

Anybody else made the terrible mistake of listening to the eps at random?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jah needs to do us a favour and not eat while podcasting oh my god the worst

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

430 has a perfect moment where
"A true legend died this week-"
And then they launch into the cops bit. It was just so so quick and way too easy to push it too hard. But they pulled it off so nicely, not even laughing and it sounds like a completely typical joke set up. Which is will be for future listeners. These guys are so good.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Gargamel Gibson posted:

HE DIED A HERO.
USE THE BOOM.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

430 and 431 have been killer. I swear Jonathan has been funnier than usual too. The only thing that makes me a bit sad about UYD is how Seth usually steals the show. I like Jah! I just wish he could keep up with Seth a bit more. But these last eps he has been killing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

People just love any semblance of a community/share identity. All facebook groups ever have irrelevant inane content. Who cares.

Hey if I were to talk a friend into UYD, which is a good gateway episode? I've told him 433.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

UYD sistercast, Uhh Ya Zalame. The caliphate through the eyes of two Muslim Muslims.

Segments including:
Camel, Hashish, Mind's Eye
Ask Ahmed
This week in Egypt
Mohammed's House
This week in Christianity
To catch an apostate
Who's prayin' harder?
Little dicey there pal.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/17/jaden-and-willow-smith-exclusive-joint-interview/

An entire episode special dedicated to this interview plz

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Where do I actually find the stream/download podcast link on their website? I must be a fool but for the last year of listening to UYD I've always used RSS and whatnot. But the actual uhhyeahdude.com remains a mystery. I click the episode title and it takes me to show notes but... that's it. ???

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

So to listen to the podcast you have to click the RSS icon under 'Keep in touch'.

It's a little convoluted and it would be better if they had the links under the actual podcast pages.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

ohhh man is UYD going to be like the Chris Gethard Show where exposure draws in terrible fans and then we can't feel cool about liking it anymore?
Conversely, I'm loving what the Patreon boost has done for Seth's confidence.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I wonder how many rich single tech guys in LA are like yeah 500 whatever worth it probably three

I also wonder how many donations are coming from overseas. I know some reporter in nz loves them and managed to get a latenight news piece on them as the 'funniest guys ever'. Which I sort of agree with because they aren't exactly for everyone ever.

I can also testify that their humour translates well overseas. Although full of references to LA culture and American pop culture - even with a sneering attitude towards those who don't know it - the actual beats and punchlines are very universal.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Hocus Pocus posted:

Some things, like eating out for every meal come off as insane, but I get the impression that that's kind of crazy to Americans as well. I also find how culturally diverse the US is state to state to be really incredible.
Yeah I find UYD a cool take on American pop culture. Their 'outsider' view is quite similar to how us foreigners see the states. The whole narrative of Florida being weird and wacky is how we see American pop culture as a whole. Eating out every meal feels so American, heh.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I hope they do a show in Australia someday, I'd fly to Sydney or Melbourne for that.
I would also fly over the ditch for them. Man if they did an NZ show that would literally be the dream. I'm imaging the wine cellar or powerstation. ahh

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It still frustrates me you can't stream and/or download their podcast on their website. Like. Are we good?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I like how they spent so much time dicking around with where to sit when the real issue was the lighting.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Their use of 'fruits' in the first 200 episodes makes me wince.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

495 'i wish I had a son to hate me as much as I hate myself.'

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Stinky_Pete posted:

Hi everyone, thanks for this thread, I've been listening to this podcast in reverse order (and new ones when they come out) since January, and I'm down to the 440s, and I think it was this week or last week that I realized what the thread title is about.

His whole diatribe about how trippy the call was, as if the refs gave him a whole strip of LSD that made him experience ego loss and realize "it's all love, man," had me cracking up so hard.

It's great to see all these running jokes/themes/whatever Benjamin Button themselves in a weird way, like I can't wait to see how the whole Celebrity Name Game thing started (also I forget if/when he stopped talking about it, did he get a team to win?). Every time they bring it up I know I'm in for a treat. Good poo poo.
here it is for people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZHfmbUGCng

Yeah I listened to it backwards too (in '13). The weirdest shift was the sudden long stories from Jonathan of his youth.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Caper posted:

I'll never not laugh at the thought of a young dreadlocked Jonathan in the back of a police car going, "Please, officer, just give me my harmonica"
Which ep is this from?

I feel the average UYD fiend goes from loving Jah to being indifferent because he isn't as funny as Seth to finally loving him again when you realize how ridiculous he is. x

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I can't wait until most of the humans on Earth die in an apocalyptic nuclear holocaust, and these two fools keep on broadcasting UYD across the wastelands on pirate radio.

I'm of course assuming that Seth at least will survive due to the prepper kit he compiled of vegan jerky and smooth organic peanut butter
Waiting for an open world video game to pick these guys are. Seriously. I feel it will happen eventually.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I listen to it while playing post apocalyptic roguelikes like C:DDA its great.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

8 track betamax posted:

UYD: they call themselves UYD Heads
The whole way through the article i was thinking if UYD blows up I'm going to have the biggest 'I was there before you' elitist cringe but then I realized I already have it with its current lovely fanbase.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Anybody know what that youtube video was
where Jah appears at the end as 'hipster or homeless person?' and the guy who made the video didn't know about uyd or jah

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Thank you so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnDCSUaIsP8

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

mcvey posted:

Jah would never eat a Dorito, he's vegan
It's an exception.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Everything is Terrible is fantastic. I actually think earlier in this thread (years ago) there was a debate about whether Seth was aware of them or not.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It might be a good idea to give this feedback to them. I would but am chronically afraid of phone calls.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

ehh.. standing in an awkward half-circle of strangers around a professional podcaster isn't something I'm too pumped about
But you could post a pic to the fb group?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Have they mentioned Trump?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks for the link, posted it to my facebook feed. Doubt it'll get much love but it feels good to know I'm doing my bit. If friends miss out on the gold that is UYD I can say at least I tried right.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^Good post.
Which episode number is the native american one? The latest?
Also, yeah. this was definitely what they were born to do. UYD.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

As UYD grows its going to be become more of a thing that you enjoy but hate everybody else who also enjoys. Like the fb group*100.
Maybe you should call them up and ask them to tell people to shut up during live shows.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I swear to jah if they miraculously tour nz I will really question whether I'll go because of the fan base.

Why. Why does every something good attract the awful.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

"Cause we're two savvy individuals"
"You and amir""

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

tbh eps 1-500 is what i will stole in my doomsday vault.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

good to know thank you for bringing this poo poo up again
Yeah let's not snark support of booing homophobia x.
I always forget there are some terrible lovely punch-down people in these forums.
--

Hey, does anybody else feel like Patreon was a double edged sword? Two episodes a week doesn't do it for me because I don't have time to listen to both so I end up feeling like I'm not keeping up. And then I drop off listening all together.

If they upped each episode to eighty minutes (1:20 hours) each I'm sure people would be wicked cool with that.
1:20 is the average Loveline episode sans ads so like, there is a precedent. It seems to be the sweet spot. At least for me. Although I have friends who balk at the idea of listening to a podcast longer than half an hour. They are really missing out.