Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The_Rob posted:

Hot topics cracks me the gently caress up. I love how Scott insists to not talk about the actual topic, but about what whoopie asks.

Yeah, this week's was the first time I'd heard Hot Topics, and if that's a bad example of it being played, I'll have to look for another episode with it because it was great.

What Am I Thinking was pretty good, too, but I definitely feel it would be funnier with some other people, or perhaps someone playing a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

FitFortDanga posted:

I wonder if most goons are too young to appreciate a Garry Marshall impression.

I know who he is, and watched alot of his shows on Nick at Nite when I was a kid though I can't say I know his voice.

I didn't dislike the epsiode, but Garry Marshall is probably my least favorite of PFT's characters. He just doesn't have as much going on as, say, Cake Boss or Ice-T.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
The Garry Marshall character is definitely a good one in the context of The Great Undiscovered Project, but I just don't think it worked in this week's CBB. It wasn't bad, but I got excited when I saw PFT was on, and left a bit disappointed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

indigi posted:

I loved Herzog not because of anything in particular that PFT did with him, but because he was constantly making Zach giggle like a little girl, which I found to be delightful and entertaining. I didn't care much for Herzog on the Pod F. Tompkast but hey, not everything can be a home run. Also I love Mr. Gary.

Yeah, listening to Zach laugh at him constantly was pretty great. I get the feeling that Werner might evolve into a better character if given some time, though. There's not a single PFT character that I dislike, even if some are a bit weaker than others.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ohshititsric posted:

I think vegetarian robot is a serious contender for best robot character.

I DON'T EAT MEAT.

DO YOU CHEW GUM?

I think vegetarian robot was the only character that Chelsea did that I liked, and it really only took off when Adam and Harris got involved.

e: I've yet to fully listen to a Tig episode, so I won't comment on her.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I normally really like Swardson, but he was pretty insufferable on this week's episode. Not everything is cocks and balls, Nick! Go back to making grandma jokes! Or come on the show as Gay Robot.

That jsut gave me an idea: Have an episode with Nick as Gay Robot, Chelsea as Vegeterian Robot, Tig as Good One Robot, and Adam Scott as Persephone. All robot show.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Davincie posted:

I don't listen to the show very often but I found all of the characters hilarious that week. I don't know, maybe the so awful its good characters just appeal to me. That or Adam Scott since I find everything I've heard of him funny as well.

I think it's Adam Scott. I think the only funny aprts of Chelsea's bits were when he and Harris started trying to get her to do more. Adam's deadpan reaction to everything was perfect. I don't dislike Chelsea, though. I just think she may have been high or something

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I felt bad about this week's epsiode because I really like Nick Swardson's stand-up, but him being there really added nothing to the show until Paul Scheer showed up, and even then, it was just more dick jokes. I honestly think he should just come up with a character to play next time he's on, or just come on as Gay Robot, because him being him just does not work in this format.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The_Rob posted:

Swardson was fine. His whole thing in stand up is that he is a frat boy dumb guy. That has always been his thing.Dick and cum jokes are funny too.

I love his stand up, honestly, but like Blackula said, he didn't really get funny in this until Paul came in. He was by no means an afwul guest, but he just didn't seem to work out well by himself.

The Capm posted:

Swardson's first appearance on CDR is totally amazing. Maybe what was at work this time was that his first starring role in a film was a total bomb that was universally hated? Maybe he's just not on his game.

I'll have to check this out, then. I was legitimately excited to see his name in the billing this week, so maybe this one'll be better.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Groucho Marxist posted:

Harris Wittels is on today!

So is Jon Heder :smith:

This was pretty much my reaction seeing this in my list this morning, though I was more :raise:, because I think that, so long as he isn't resurrecting the Napoleon Dynamite shitck, then he might be funny. I won't be listening until lunch, but I'm pretty :neckbeard: for Harris' Foam Corner.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Brock Samson posted:

'sJunior.

I just listened to most of it on my lunch, and that absolutely killed me. I heard him going for it pretty much immediately.

That wasn't a bad episode, but Hank Williams Jr. wasn't that great of a character. I was just excited to have Harris back on already. I stopped just before the rap battle so I wouldn't have to listen to only part of it, and I can't wait for it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Creflo Chronicle posted:

I thought Jon Heder was really game and fun on this episode. He actually got into the features and it was kind of :3: hearing him try to edge around blue humor. I kind of wish they would have done a would you rather, I think he would have been great for it.

Yeah, I thought it was weird taht they did Rap Battle instead of Would You Rather, but whatever. I did like Jon as a guest, though, and it sounded like he was having fun, at the very least.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Analytic Engine posted:

Is anyone else convinced that Reggie Watts is saying "Harrison's Phone corner" in the intro? Scott and guests always seem to notice odd word choices and slips of the tongue, so maybe I'm just imagining things.

I'm convinced it's Harrison's Foam Corner.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
That really was a frighteningly accurate Hank Hill. Can Scott come on to his own program as a character?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

I loving lost it at "Comedy Fang Fang"

good lord I love Hot Saucerman's terrible puns

The entire episode was pretty much just amazing(ly bad) puns, and I loved it. There seriously wasn't a dull moment this week.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Lord Wexia posted:

I can re-listen to that episode any number of times and never get tired of it. It seriously has me rolling every single time I hear it.

"It's called Carl's Juniors... hamburgers."

Carl S'junior's :colbert:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

wafflesnsegways posted:

(Cake Boss!)

Do not distoib me, Scott Oxerman. I am in a transhe!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

redz posted:

I laughed entirely too hard just reading this. Thank you.

No prob, fellow CBB/Parks & Rec fan! :thumbsup:
Cake boss is seriously my favorite PFT character, I don't care what other people say.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Flamazot posted:

What am I thinking really is pretty awful though. I wish they wouldn't play it so often.

I remember it being funny the first time I heard it, though I can't remember which one it was. The last few weeks have seen alot of new people to the show, though, and that's definitely a thing that hurts it. I wish they would just play Who Said it with new guests.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I like "Who Said It?" if only because the song makes me laugh every god drat time. I know it's coming, but it's still funny.

How is the Christmas album he keeps pushing? I only started listening to this in the last few months, so I didn't even know there were Christmas songs.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I only started listening a couple of months ago, so I don't know if I'm a good judge, but I would definitely rank Farts and Procreation at the top of my list. It's seriously one of the funniest things I have ever listened to, CBB or otherwise.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Eltoasto posted:

Well that was a pretty terrible character. Good impression but nothing funny, thankfully Ben Schwartz was there to keep things moving.

Yeah, it was a good impression of her, and I was expecting it to go places, but she didn't really do anything. Whatever, it wasn't a bad episode overall.

I like Kevin Nealon, and Ben Schwartz is such a goofball that it's hard for me to dislike anything he's a part of. It could've been a much worse episode than it was if not for those two.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
In other PFT/CBB related news, he and Tig Notaro (c'mon, page 12!) will be on Conan tonight, apparently.

RandolphCarter posted:

It's great to have another episode of DAP, but I wish the next episode of the Pod F. Tompkast would drop already.

True. I needs me some Tompkast.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Did I miss the voting for 2011, or is the poll just broken? I can't seem to get it working.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Cast No Engine posted:

Just started the new episode and I'm pretty excited for just normal ol' Paul F. Tompkins, because him just being himself is like one of his best characters!

His story of the first Christmas is amazing. I love when he has soem time as himself.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Oneiric posted:

Jokes on you!

Has anyone been to Comedy Death Ray in L.A.? Is it just like CBB, but live?

This is one of the reasons they changed the name of the podcast, from what I understand. People were going to the show assuming it would pertty much just be a live version of the podcast, but it wasn't.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
With it being 3 hours, if the entirety of the Jack and Brian from the Lumberyard bit isn't in there, I will be sorely disappointed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
The Li'l Gary bit was definitely a low point in the episode (I have not heard an episode with him before, so maybe I'm missing something), but the rest of the episode is so great that it's honestly not worth complaining about.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ElCondemn posted:

PFT's ALW is great, but I like his Ice T most :)

I love all of his characters, really, but I was hoping as hard as I could that Ice T would show up in the rap battle. I mean, it went on kinda long, but it was funny through and through, and I would love to hear PFT try to rap about Christmas as Ice T.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

LesterGroans posted:

My favourite part: "I'll miss you the most, Harriiiisss!"

His absolute contempt for Harris the entire episode, only to close the show saying this, absolutely slayed me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Blackula69 posted:

Oh poo poo, that means you haven't heard iBrain

poo poo dude.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/and-a-happy-new-year/

Blackula69 posted:

iBrain trip report, please. That whole episode is just beyond funny

I had heard iBrain in the Best of 2010 episode, and it was pretty amazing. I had honestly forgotten what it was until I went to listen to this episode in full while I went through the mall yesterday. I had to walk out of a couple of stores because I was laughing too hard at this story, and almost had to sit down a few times.

The Li'l Gary bit was pretty funny, I guess it jsut comes down to that, outside of Rap Battle, I don't really like songs by characters. I dunno. The Christian Community whatever guy was alright, I guess, but again, I don't really like songs by characters. Like, I tend to fast forward through the songs they play in the first place, so having a character song in there just doesn't appeal to me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

plastered quack posted:

Proud to say, my strategy of voting for one episode instead of ten paid off! It was the top episode from today's Best of '11 Pt. 2.

I can't listen just yet since I'm at work, but can you spoil for me whether Farts and Procreation is in the top five? This is important, and me listening to this episode in a timely manner hinges pretty exclusively on this.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Bunk Rogers posted:

Yes we could spoiler it.

No need to be a wise-apple. :mad:

Anyway, Scott's Twitter pretty much answered my question, so whatever!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

plastered quack posted:

Also, From twitter:

quote:

@ScottAukerman posted:
Look for me at @phish tonight. cc: @twittles

God speed, Saucerman. Don't come back without that recording :patriot:

I came here to post this. While I'm not a Phish fan nor any sort of TCC advocate, I honestly can't wait to hear this.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Thanks to this show, I can't hear "Wake Me Up Before you Go-Go" without laughing anymore after "Jitterbuggin'". This really shouldn't be a problem, but it's on the radio station that play at my work, so I ehar it all of the time.

It killed me when they started singing it in the Best Of episode. It was honestly one of my favorite moments of the year.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
"Boy, that Paul F. Tompkins guy wasn't very funny, but Gary Marshall and Dame Sir Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber were a hoot!"

In other podcast news, I think Improv4Humans needs to be shorter or something. It's still funny, but I end up not listening to the whole thing because I get bored of it. I think, though, that making it shorter would take out some of the riffing and storytelling they do, and that would be a blow to its entertainment value, so I don't know what the solution is.

Also, how often is SuperEgo released? It seems like as soon as I started listening, they stopped producing episodes.

e: Oh no, I just realized this is the Comedy Bang Bang thread, and not the Comedy Podcast General thread! Sorry! Thanks for the answer, Riptor!

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 28, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Blackula69 posted:

Also on CBB topic, how do I get MY GIRLFRIEND into Earwolf stuff? I feel like she'd like it - she loves adam scott and even the bit of wonder showzen that I showed her - but it's hard to pick an entry point.

If she likes Adam Scott, then the obvious entry point should be Farts and Procreation. Even if she doesn't like Adam Scott, it should be that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Mr. Squishy posted:

And Adomian's character really did nothing for me. I think the only time I laughed was when they realized they had no time to play Would You Rather. The new Analyse Phish more than made up for it though.

The more I read about today's episode, the more I'm thinking of just skipping it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but I really like the silly nature of this episode. I just finished the Spielberg bit, and it had me rolling by the end.

And I think I'm sold on Don't Stop or We'll Die now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Cast No Engine posted:

Besser wasn't trying to be the actual Bjork. Bjork doesn't talk about farting into pussies and living in a literal land of ice with ice copies of american things, not sure if you are familiar with her.

My life is a lie. Next you'll tell me the Cake Boss can't actually use the power of the second sight, talk to the dead, or turn into a cake wolf.