Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Strange Matter posted:

The most magical line in iBrain is the one comparing Adam's testicles to two crest toothpaste factories.

That line is good, but for me it's Lil' Gary chiming in afterwards with, "In the future, will all broccoli be dehydrated?" as it's just weirdly latching on to some dull detail from the first couple minutes, and for some reason that just kills me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Majorian posted:

I'm listening to today's episode and I'm currently on the "Hot Topics" game. I really don't think this is funny at all. Why are you doing this, Scott? Your show usually brings me so much joy.:(

Hot topics worked much better the first time with that group of guests. Todd Barry is one of my favorite comics, but his stuff just doesn't come across great on a podcast. Also, the music guy seemed out of his depth comedy-wise.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Kings Gold posted:

What the gently caress was up with the charity remake of "We are the world"? I heard the episode it premiered with Kevin Nealon and Tig but never bothered with the lead up ones, because the song is so grating. It does fit with CDR humour; goes on way too long, there's no humour hits or redeeming aspects, there's a rap section.

Then at the end there's no payoff. Scott and his guests just go "wow, that was amazing." HOW DEEP DOES THIS RABBIT HOLE GO

It works best if you see the video for it, which I assume was what they were watching in studio.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d627d10acb/we-are-the-world-25-75

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I also loved the Cyberthug podcasts/CDR takeover shows, so I'm still hoping the character shows up somewhere else. Autistic illuminati trying to recruit Kanye West will never get old.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If someone could make a compilation of all the jukebox juries and put it on youtube, I would be eternally grateful.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Maduo posted:

I hope Analyze Phish becomes a more frequent series. I've never really listened to Phish before this, so it's really fun to listen to Scott say exactly what I'm thinking about most of the songs. "C'mon Phish, you can't just keep writing songs about what's directly in front of you."

Analyze Phish might be my favorite non-CBB earwolf podcast. The sheer desperation in Harris's voice at the end of each episode is delicious, and I think the series will end not with Mott Skaukerman liking Phish, but Harris abandoning his favorite band. The more Scott presses him to justify his love for their music, the harder it is for him to come up with a good reason.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I agree that his Herzog is his weakest, if only because the real Herzog is already funny and self aware, so there's not really much for PFT to do with him it seems. Garry Marshall might be my favorite just because I share the strong dislike of his movies that Tompkins brings to the character.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Blackula69 posted:

Aw, apparently yes: http://crushable.com/entertainment/comedian-brody-stevens-liveteets-a-manic-breakdown-nearly-gets-arrested/

Listening to podcasts really makes you identify with comedy people as real people. Like, Paul Scheer had a really loving rough childhood, and it makes something like what happened to Brody actually way more sad.

Where does he talk about his childhood? The only thing I've heard that's close to that is his appearance on The Indoor Kids talking about how he bought every wrong video game system.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

soggybagel posted:

I just listened to the episode with Swardson and man, what the gently caress. I like a cum/cock/balls joke as much as the next guy but he can't help but go insane. I then jumped back to the Cosby-Bukowski episode also with Swardson and he does the same thing. Not saying anything about anything else he does but he can't loving reign it in at all on CBB. It's annoying. And if he didn't have Paul Scheer/Jon Daly to help keep it in line it would be pure awful madness.

See: http://www.avclub.com/articles/miraculous-case-file-198-bucky-larson-born-to-be-a,62424/

quote:

Bucky Larson represents an even greater undertaking, since the core of the film—the script—was partially provided by one of the richest and most powerful men in Hollywood. Adam Sandler commands upwards of $20 million a film. His time is more valuable than yours or mine. Yet in a gloriously misplaced act of generosity, he chose to spend it collaborating on a screenplay about a man with the mind of a child, the haircut of Prince Valiant, and the penis of a mosquito. That’s what this kingmaker, this titan of industry, chose to do. That’s how he chooses to wield his enormous power.

Swardson had to realize that Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star represented his one shot at being a proper movie star (at least in the Rob Schneider sense). This was 8 Mile time. This was his one shot. This was an opportunity for Swardson to tell a story near and dear to his heart, to communicate something profound about the world we live in and the imperfect people who populate it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I'll also endorse improv4humans. It's Besser doing what he does best, and it makes me glad he has an outlet for it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Jukebox jury is one of the best games ever just hear Scott become more and more exasperated with what he's listening to. I could do a whole show of it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If only all these funny people were unemployable, and thus free to podcast 24 hours a day.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

indigi posted:

Loose lips, hard to cum

Crime is money.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The dramatic readings of his Toupee series are just fantastic. It's good to see they're coming in rather often too.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If you didn't like the first couple episodes of Gelmania, at least give his Toupee serial narrative a try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKM9GfW0_W4

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

jyrka posted:

I had no idea every comedian has a bunch of comedy songs before listening to old CDR eps. What's UP with THAT?

Making a decent living as a stand up comic isn't the easiest thing in the world, so if doing comedy songs helps them get more people to shows, or sell more merch than it's worth it. The LA comedy scene also seems to have more cross over with the music scene there, so that may have something to do with it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I've been using Dr. Bronner soap since I was a kid, so I got the bit and found it to be pretty funny, but the character doesn't lend itself to the back and forth comedy that makes CBB shine.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Adomian brings that character, among others, to this episode of This American Wife: http://thisamericanwifepodcast.com/index.php?id=71

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I'd give that to Jukebox Jury.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

NotWearingPants posted:

Scott just lets people talk over the "Would you rather?" theme song now without saying anything. He really needs to step it up before he completely loses control of the show.

I remember some people hyping his podcast back when the RDF forum was first getting started, but I thought it was pretty bad.

I'm curious about his gay tone and mannerisms. He's supposedly straight but I guess he's from San Francisco? Is that like when an American moves to Ireland for a few years and comes back with a brogue?

Based on some recent podcasts of his, he was born and raised in the inland rural hellhole part of California. One anecdote in particular about how he worked as a pizza delivery boy/meth dealer was quite informative.

I happen to dig his comedy, but I can understand how he might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

NotWearingPants posted:

I'm sorry now that I added that to my post because I don't really care about Proops and I think people talking over the "Would you rather?" theme is a much more important issue.

Agreed. The only proper vocal noises during that time are people singing along to it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

74, another Mantzoukas/Daly joint.

That one also has Bill Carter of Trainer for the Stars, Seeking Stars.org for most of it, it's a great episode.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQyQnXrLb0
I find that PFT doesn't go far enough with his Herzog.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Anyone remember the episode where PFT as Ice-T was hiding under the console?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Gelmania needs to come back, but this is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a9afxpJgwY

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Anyone see the show? I'd like to think that the talent of the comedians involved translated well, but knowing network tv...

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Um uh oh ye ah.

I loved the synopsis of Season of the Witch: Ron Perlman looking at a witch flying by and saying "Oh poo poo."

Ron Perlman as the blue collar half of the buddy cop crusader knight team really was the best part of that movie.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Beeez posted:

I have a question about an earlier episode. I was just listening to episode 79, from November 2010, and I was wondering if anyone knew what Scott was talking about when he said "We've had an influx of new listeners because of a certain debacle"? I'm not sure what he's referring to and I was wondering if anyone knew.

Scott was really overstating the issue, but Z. Galifanakis was on the week before and mentioned having some big issues with how The Hangover 2 was developing. It was pretty clear that he was uncomfortable with Mel Gibson being in the film, and his comments on CDR helped to prevent him from having a Mike Tyson-esque cameo.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I think Seth Morris burnt himself out doing that daily ducca-cast, Kroll got his own Comedy Central show, Adomian as mentioned moved to NYC, and Lennon seems to have gotten a lot more work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PayRJfUvK3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuuHEe3M1Zs

Jon Daly is doing this: http://jondalyisjohndaly.com/

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Worst Case Ontario posted:

I love Todd Glass's story in episode 116 about the guy saying "When I go to Queens I have a GOOD time!" His delivery of it every single time he says it kills me.

Once you seen him do this live, his podcast rendition is almost restrained in comparison. Seriously, go to his live show.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Adomian's Tom Leykis is funny but I kinda think it needed to go somewhere crazier, because mostly it was pretty close to what Leykis actually says (or used to say).

Listen to his episodes of the Todd Glass show, where he takes his Leykis up a few notches.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Bobby Malone posted:

Everything is predetermined, free will doesn't exist, and the concept of improv is a farce.

I read this in Brett Gelman's voice.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
MADTV didn't just waste Key and Peele, it seems like they wasted everyone's talent. Patton Oswalt has a good anecdote about his friendship with Artie Lang coming from shared hatred of the show while they were still working on it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

LeaningFizz posted:

I thought Adam and Kay were pretty good, but Hana Mae Lee was pretty embarrassing. Best part was when Scott couldn't hide his disbelief at her being a standup comic. Worst part was whenever Hana would pretend to be a racist Korean lady.

I haven't listened to the episode yet, but based on the front page review the creators really dislike Asian people.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I wish Aukerman enjoyed playing jukebox jury as much as I enjoy listening to him getting more and more frustrated.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
It really is odd how much blackface Billy Crystal used to do, and I guess still does.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I think I might die from this Foam Corner. Harris is some sort of savant.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

There's no such thing as anti-comedy. It's a word journalists use when they need to meet a deadline or a word comedy fans use when they dislike something but don't want to acknowledge other people might legitimately like it.

Look how foolish you are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNs5tjgd5rQ

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Steven Yeun is pretty good with PFT here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl5JkX-ypM0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
They don't seem to care about continuity when it doesn't suit them. CBB ain't the LA comedian version of DC comics.