Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
What is both great and terrible and Scott Aukerman is that he is full of non-jokes that are only funny to him. Listen to the theme songs for the games they play - the "what am I thinking" theme, the "would you you rather" theme - and imagine him picking those ridiculous pieces of music out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, maybe you just need his face. He's funny on TV, but it doesn't come through on podcasts.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Aww, I love novelty songs. But I definitely prefer songs that work both as jokes AND as songs. Loudon Wainwright's probably my favorite, although he's like 75% serious and 25% jokey.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And it's even funnier the seventh time Scott plays it!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
The latest episode is pretty great. I love Nick Lowe, and I'm confused that they got him on the podcast.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I liked the discussion of the Star Wars novels, in which Chewbacca was hit by a car.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I like the Herzog character, if only for the part where he said he was making a Gilligan's Island movie, and it's about man's futile struggle against nature.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

For some reason he never clicked with me, even after enjoying a bit of The League, but when I heard his most recent CBB before this one, I was amazed at how nice of a dude he seemed. Like crazy genuine nice, this is good to hear.

He did an episode of Jordan Jesse Go that made me a fan of his for the same reason.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Haven't heard that, but the lists of ailments are always great. "Yellow fever. Scarlet fever. Red fever. Beiber fever."

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Charlene Yi is not really well suited for podcasts, but she's good live. I think her weird charm doesn't come through in her voice.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I'd like to hear more about that production of Peter pan in international waters.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
(Cake Boss!)

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I'm tempted to continue responding to every mention of cake boss with "(cake boss!)" but don't worry, I won't.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

SpacePig posted:

This is one of the reasons they changed the name of the podcast, from what I understand. People were going to the show assuming it would pertty much just be a live version of the podcast, but it wasn't.

That's what I thought, but then they changed the name of stand up show too. So it's still confusing.

But you should go to comedy bang bang at the ucb. It's all the same people from the podcast world, but doing their day jobs (stand up). A lot of big names show up unannounced. It's mostly fun, and when someone sucks, they're only up there for 15 minutes or so.

And you can see a live Doug loves movies beforehand.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Does anyone know why PFT and Aukerman call John Lennon the grossest guy in the world (or something similar)? Is it purely an inside joke of theirs or did I miss an episode.
e: missed a word

He could be a dickish weirdo. Julian Lennon has a story about going to stay with John and Yoko, and John and Yoko wandered around the house naked. When Julian laughed awkwardly, John Lennon flew into a weird naked rage.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I also don't really like his characters. They often don't interact well with the guests. Sometimes Adomian takes the bits to strange and interesting places, but overall I'd rather hear someone a little more easy-going.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wonder if Scott ever gets a little bummed inside when his guests have obviously never listed to the show.

edit: I know Proops was on once exactly 100 episodes ago, but he's never heard a would you rather.
ee: Even though for obvious reason he wouldn't give a poo poo, I also feel bad for Doug Benson when nobody he invites to DLM ever knows how to play his games. I gotta stop being uselessly empathetic towards comedy podcast hosts.

It bugs me a little. I mean, you're stepping out on stage to perform for an audience of the show's fans. You're a comedian that I probably would never had hear of if it wasn't for podcast appearances. Listen to an episode beforehand, put in a little bit of effort to understand the show you're appearing on.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
That is a classic blunder.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Kind of surprised he doesn't own a striped full-body bathing suit.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
This episode did introduce the phrase "suckin up groins," which seems bound to become part of the national lexicon.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, but something about the editing or the performance doesn't let that come through. The show needs to loosen up a little - it feels like it's suffocating its jokes. I bet it would be way funnier to listen in on the writers' room than to watch the show.

EDIT: except for Reggie's sketches. That guy has presence.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I never heard about that before. I googled a little and I guess it was going to be called Mr. Blow. What wa the story with it?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure PFT quoted an overheard from a years-old episode of Stop Podcasting Yourself in the first best-of episode. But I've already forgotten the line and the context. Maybe I'll just relisten to it.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
That's the only one I know of. It's terrible. And there are plenty of other late night options in the area. But it has a cool old sign that everyone remembers. I'm convinced that it's sign is the only thing keeping it in business.

Edit: oops, didn't see the new page. This is all about the House of Pies on Vermont.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Bad news, Bearcat is a brand of police radio scanner.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Thinking about that show makes me kind of sad for the people involved, from Chris Hardwick on up to the execs. You have on opportunity to put a show on TV, and recycling stuff from the internet seemed like the best choice?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I don't think it presents the guests on it in a very good light. I like those people, but if I just knew them from @midnight, I wouldn't.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Plenty of podcasts do that subtly, and it's a nice effect, especially with a lot of voices. Put some at 60/40 on the right, and some at 60/40 on the left. You probably wouldn't notice it consciously, but it makes it easier to tell the voices apart. Bands do the same thing with instruments.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I thought I was the only one.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, Rhett Miller has been playing Largo forever. He was part of that group that mixed up music and comedy together. He knows how to be good natured during a comedy show. He's kind of like Aimee Mann - he tends to show up in odd places in the comedy world.

I thought he did amazingly well, especially because Matt Beringer and James Adomian were both a little difficult.

Rhett Miller was on some episodes of Wits with PFT, and he and PFT took turns making up movie theme songs. Highly recommended.

wafflesnsegways fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 25, 2014

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, that was my read too.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Oh yeah, CBB fans might want to take a look at WITS. Imagine that Scott quit CBB and turned it over to Garrison Keillor. It's exactly as great and exactly as lame as that sounds, simultaneously. Every episode has something wonderful and something cringe-inducing, and you never know when either one is coming.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Oh, and Alex Fernie, who is one of the funniest improv guys at UCBLA, but who for some reason rarely gets onto podcasts.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
If he does it live, his timing is really impressive.

And Matt Walsh and Ducky Powell together would be hilarious. Like the Wompler Pool Party Spectacular - live from the ski lodge!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I don't know if I'd go that far. Maron seems to have the same level of condescension towards Scott that he has towards everyone who isn't exactly like him. (Which seems to be declining now that Maron isn't as depressed and bitter.)

Scott was on a live WTF a while ago, and they were needling each in a way that was funny but also seemed to have a bit of truth to it.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Bobby Moynihan is so loving good, like goddamn. He needs to be on more episodes with different characters.

And I never would have known how funny he is if it wasn't for comedy bang bang. He's also pretty likable whenever he shows up on the Chris Gethard show, but much more low key. Otherwise, has he done much else where you can see that side of him?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I could watch Huell Howser clips all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=539jdK3eN1o

Now that's an avocado eaten' dog!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I don't think I'll ever get tired of that scene. Letterman is so funny in it.

It was weird when he asked Scott if he was a rich kid, but everyone just moved on, which makes me think it was less awkward for the people in the room than it sounded to us listeners.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

The_Rob posted:

I think it's because he was joking and not seriously asking him in any actual confrontational way.

I agree with you. Why are we fighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Anything with Jason Mantzoukas is a safe bet too. Same with Harris Wittels.