Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Am I the only one who thinks "Scott-a-bot" isn't a very funny name for Hot Saucerman (his real, legitimate, and internationally-recognized name), and should have been dropped by now?

e: I may just be reading subtexts that aren't really there, but it seems to me like he was trying to get away from the Hot Saucerman moniker when he changed the name of the podcast. But he got some negative feedback on this, so he decided to keep them both in the hope that "Scott-a-bot" would catch on as well.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I'm listening to today's episode and I'm currently on the "Hot Topics" game. I really don't think this is funny at all. Why are you doing this, Scott? Your show usually brings me so much joy.:(

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

E2M2 posted:

For some reason I really like the Brett Gelman monologues on CBB

The reason would probably be that anything which satirizes creepily and blatantly self-indulgent fiction will probably turn out to be hilarious.:keke:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Flying-Chip posted:

The only song I've liked on CBB was "The Monster gently caress". I could not breathe from laughing so hard.

While "Monster gently caress" was absolute magic, if you did not enjoy the Hollywood Facts theme song you have no soul.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

soggybagel posted:

THEN GO WALK IN FRONT OF CHINESE THEATER HOLLYWOOD FACTS TAKE OUT YOUR DICKKKKKK, CHECK OUT THE FACTS ITS THE HOLLYWOOD FACTS (BRO)

I'll occasionally use "take out yo diiiick!" as a declaration of victory when my girlfriend's around. She's on the verge of strangling me.

ClaytonClaw posted:

Although I never found Cyber Thug that funny.

I could never stand to listen to more than a couple minutes of him myself; what's his appeal?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SKULE123 posted:

The first week with Yo La Tengo, did Scott say it was a September-only deal? And presumably, this was recorded before the end of September? Because I agree, I miss the weirdo comedy songs.

Definitely. That's how I discovered Garfunkel & Oates: Scott played "Pregnant Women are Smug" during a break, I promptly lost my poo poo and downloaded everything of theirs I could find.

I also discovered Jonathan Coulton through SModcast's opening music (I couldn't hear the lyrics, but the tune was so drat catchy I needed to find out who it was), but hey lookie here, they don't seem to do opening music anymore besides their mc chris track either.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

I just cant believe iBrain is now bound to be entirely fiction. :(

Well, Apple's looking for a new chairman. If you become majority shareholder, you could probably at least get Gelman on the board.:v:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

I dunno. The thing that makes PFT characters great is that they don't really rely on familiarity with the impersonated individual.

I'm in the same boat here. My favorite of his characters is probably Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber, and a big part of this is that I don't know if there's any basis whatsoever for how PFT portrays him. I think I've seen him in a total of one interview, so I know he kind of has the same timbre to his voice, and I'd like to imagine he has some of the same frenetic energy, but that's really about it. But I'm a big fan of some of his musicals (and love to hate the rest), and I can't get enough of the added silliness of him taking first his knighthood and now his noble title too seriously. The same is true with the Cake Boss; I've only seen an episode or two of his show and haven't gotten too much of a handle on how he behaves in real life, but the fact that he's become this immensely stylized caricature is part of the fun for me.

That said, I agree with SpacePig that I like Garry Marshall better in The Great Undiscovered Project than on CBB/CDR. I still enjoy the character and thought he was funny on this episode, but I think one of his other characters would have been funnier. I want to hear him play around with Werner Herzog (although he did that one pretty recently) or John Lithgow more.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Funny, Herzog is my least favorite PFT character, probably because I'm too familiar with the real guy. The voice isn't quite right, the attitude isn't quite right.

The voice is definitely off, but I still think it's a fun caricature of the man's ethos. It's not his strongest so far, but I think it could get better if he played around with it a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Just wanted to point out that Bob Ducca's "TV Ailments" lists on yesterday's and today's "Affirmation Nation" is loving amazing.