Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there any kind of story or drama behind why Adomian hasn't been on the show in forever, or has he just been busy? He was basically PFT-levels of recurring guest for a while there, it's weird that he would just vanish.

I tried googling it and a 2-year old reddit thread suggests that it's because he decided not to do any more unpaid podcast appearances, but then other people in the comments were saying that CBB does pay now, so it might be something else? But also all these people are just random strangers on reddit so who knows if they really know anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't think I've heard any of this, but I loved the LRH episode of Andy Daly's pilot podcast project podcast pilot so I'll have to check it out. The phrase "i'm up to eight cums a night" has been in my head ever since I heard it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

middleditch had a character called "chinese guy" who now that i think about it was never ok

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The only Adomian character off the top of my head that I didn't really like was his Dr. Bronner character, because he ended up making him a nazi, when in real life:

quote:

Bronner was born in Heilbronn, Germany, to the Heilbronner family of soap makers.[4] He emigrated to the United States in 1929, dropping "Heil" from his name because of its associations with Nazism.[5] He became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1936.[5] As the family was Jewish, he pleaded with his parents to emigrate with him for fear of the then-ascendant Nazi Party, but they refused. His last contact with his parents was in the form of a censored postcard saying, "You were right. —Your loving father."[6] His parents were murdered in the Holocaust.

he probably didn't know that, to be fair, and I don't think he ever did the character more than once but when I listened to it I was like ah cmon dude

he also tended to get rapey sometimes (although for at least one of the incidents that I remember, it was mostly Scott's fault for making a gross offer) but I imagine he would know better than to do that in this day and age if he came back on the pod again

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I immediately remember that episode for Tim and Eric just refusing to engage in any way with Adomian. I like T&E but that was a dick move for them, which is a shame too because I remember the opening part with just them talking with Scott about popcorn as being pretty funny.

I don't think Eric was ever on again but Tim at least generally engaged with the other guests the subsequent times he went on (save for the most recent when he just left after the opening segment).

There was the one he did with Neil Hamburger which I remember being really bad (which is a shame, because after binging On Cinema and Decker I know what kind of amazing stuff those two can do together). I forget exactly what happened in the episode, I remember it just being a lot of really combative negative energy that didn't work with the show's format at all (and an insistence to make a running gag out of the Burger King Kid's Club that fell flat right out of the gate and never got funnier)

Heidecker was at one of the live shows I went to, too, and I remember him just kind of refusing to engage with the games, which I guess was meant to be a bit but was also actually not fun. Fortunately the other guests picked up the slack and it was a great show. I think Adomian might have been there, actually, I know he played sherriff of nottingham at one of the live shows I went to, I don't remember if it was the one Tim was on.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha took me a few seconds to get it! I still need to pick it back up, I like what I saw.

I liked it a lot, I hope they get picked up for a season 2. I'm glad netflix took a chance on something that weird.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Doesn't look great for him, from the article:

quote:

The woman is suing both Sanz and NBC and SNL Studios, alleging that the latter two entities were aware of the actor’s behavior toward her, and that multiple employees both knew she was underage, and drinking, at these parties. (Fallon is called out by name as knowing she was a junior in high school while she was drinking in his company.)

We'll see where it goes I guess

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It could just be that a bunch of eps had already been recorded before the allegations were made, but even so, you'd think they'd take note of that and maybe edit it again

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

it's a show where they talk to interesting people, nobody promised they'd be good

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The one with the sweaty grin?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Listening to the best ofs and lol at the part where they're talking about how they happened to record an episode during the 1/6 insurrection, "which is proof that we were not there! Which is more than some people we know can say"

It's good that they can laugh about it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

There was also some episode with PFT where he joked about how almost all of them missed the Mr. Show reunion in Washington on January 6.

God i love PFT. if he ever gets canceled for something, i don't know what i'll do

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

is threedom something you can just jump into, or do you need to start from the beginning to keep up? I tried listening to a random episode and the first 10 minutes or so were so dense with what i assume are inside jokes and references to previous episodes that i found it a bit impenetrable, but maybe I just got unlucky and picked a bad one to start with

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'll give it another try, thanks; I think I must have picked a particularly dense episode, there are CBB episodes that i imagine must be the same way if you try to listen to them as your first episode, I'll try a different one and see!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm going back through my backlog now, and between the best ofs and the holiday special, I'm really appreciating how funny Will Hines is, his characters always bring such a great energy to an episode.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm continuing with the best ofs and oh my god PFT coming in as The Grizz is the hardest I've laughed in a while

I was already laughing every time they said Grizz before he came on so that just pushed me over the edge

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ok I gave threedom another chance and it's very funny, I'm glad I did. Did you say boop?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Besson posted:

Might be a top five CBB moment for me

I think I literally almost choked laughing at that yeah. I was already in tears and then the buzzing came back and i simply died

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SpacePig posted:

I think the robot was funny and I'm glad he's in the plug bag song. The whole episode was good, the Best Ofs reminded me of how good this show can be, so I'm gonna try to listen every week again, and this was a strong start.

Yeah I haven't listened to CBB all year, but the best ofs were just as good as I remember the show being, so I'm picking it back up again and working backwards.

The holiday special was amazing, this jimmy pardo interview is not (i don't need to know that you don't like the sound of your wife chewing, that isn't my business), but I'll try skipping ahead to see what's up with this potato figure you're all talking about before bailing on that ep

Threedom has been a treat though, thank you all for encouraging me to give that another shot

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thinking about the best ofs made me remember “wonderful dotters”, which has to be one the smartest dumbest jokes I’ve ever heard

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Brendon Small taught me how to do an australian accent

orr norrr

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I listened to the episode and I liked Dr Sweetchat, and probably would have enjoyed it no matter what, but Scott constantly losing his poo poo at how hard it was to understand him took it to another level

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was already cracking up every time they said “the grizz” and pft just went straight for the jugular

What a rude young man

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

be sure to follow her on twitter, just keep mashing your l i and y keys until you get there

e: also for some reason i am so sure in my head that she was a member of wild horses, but she is not. but she seems like she would be, right?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

I still wonder if Harris genuinely forgot about the whole "we married each others' sisters" angle when he brought up the adultery or if he was just doing a great job of feigning "...oh yeah, I guess that IS what happened" surprise

His reaction seemed genuine to me, that moment is a highlight for me as well. I also enjoy Adam's deadpan "yep" when he realizes that he knows what Harris just said, but Harris probably doesn't

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have you ever had the inclination to watch every episode of old TV Western ‘Bonanza’ by any chance?

I'm banonas for that idea!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SunshineDanceParty posted:

He did a whole Andy Daly pilot episode as old L Ron Hubbard as well that has a stacked cast and just great.

the phrase "i'm up to 8 cums a day" is lodged into my head forever

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I've rewatched that show so many times and yeah that's pretty much a perfect episode.

"oh, he's not gonna like this"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is the maximus tier of CBB world worth it? I admit i'm curious about some of the shows that unlocks, but $7/mo is right on that boundary where I really need to think about it before I add another monthly subscription to my budget.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

There's a pretty healthy backlog now, so you can buy it for a month, listen to all of it, and then unsubscribe for a few months.

There's 8+ hours of CBB FM, 11+ hours of CBB Presents, 40+ hours of Scott Hasn't Seen, plus ad-free CBB. That's not including all the older backlogs you get, too, like Andy Daly's shows.

That's a good point! No harm in trying it out for a month I imagine.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hey tock man

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Also it's worth being aware that all the trappings of "SuperEgo" are just there for structure/flavor; I remember when I started listening that I felt a bit lost, should I know some lore about the SuperEgo Institute, do I need to be paying attention to the case study classifications? No, they just slap a DSM diagnosis on the character as a goof and then do a 5-7 minute sketch, don't think too hard about it.

Yeah that's what tripped me up when my friend first introduced me to it. I thought I was missing something, but I wasn't! It's just sketch comedy, and a good one at that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know if there's any kind of RSS feed that's just every podcast episode that Paul F Tompkins has guested on, but if there is, I would subscribe to it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

It took until him talking about how our senses have evolved to help up survive to remember that Gemberling is a different person than Gabrus. I was really impressed w/ Jon's accent work!

It really doesn't seem right that two men should be so similar and have such similar names, yeah

Have they ever been on the same episode?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This latest episode is very good. I lost it early on at "God, I hate you" to big chunky bubbles

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Live At Five! posted:

I'm also a fan of Scott forgetting that Big Chunky Bubble's wife is dead every single time

I like how that came up in this one; "how'd she die again?" "i don't remember"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hadn’t listened to CBB for a few years, but did get into naddpod/dimension 20 in the interim, so I’m amped to see that zac oyama earned himself recurring guest status while I wasn’t paying attention, I love that for him

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The ads on threedom are gonna make me pay for ad-free episodes, I swear. I keep getting one for some dodgy "invest in art" scheme, and the copy speaks to "morning joe viewers", as if someone made a mistake and put the ad on the wrong show

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

did you know that inflation has increased by 8% during just the first third of this podcast? fortunately, a good hedge against this inflation is contemporary art, a term that has no definition in this context. here's another percentb that is real: how much this kind of art has appreciated (125%)

i just wish that there were something i could do about it instead of blaming washington or the fed. unfortunately, i am but a humble Morning Joe listener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

for as many lovely podcast ads there are out there, I don't think any have made me laugh quite as hard as blue moon trying to rebrand itself as something other than just a popular mid-range beer that people get when they just want something recognizable on the menu

i mean i drink and enjoy blue moon but cmon, you gotta know what you are, don't get airs