Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I wish they'd stop having musical guests. They're either terribly boring or, at best, inoffensive, but none of them are anything I'd choose to listen to in the middle of a comedy podcast. It's Comedy Bang Bang, not Comedy and Some Acoustic Middle-Aged White People Music Bang Bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I loved Herzog not because of anything in particular that PFT did with him, but because he was constantly making Zach giggle like a little girl, which I found to be delightful and entertaining. I didn't care much for Herzog on the Pod F. Tompkast but hey, not everything can be a home run. Also I love Mr. Gary.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Danielle Schneider owns and is great + nice

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bobby Malone posted:

Nick Swardson has the Harris Wittels disease where he has no idea which of his ideas are funny and which are not. It's just that his bad ideas are really loving bad.

Harris Wittels knows exactly which of his ideas are inherently funny and which are funny because they're terrible

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Heder was kind of a lovely guest. I feel like Scott brings in Harris as an anchor when he's not sure about a guest or episode, and he was great. And a Napoleon Dynamite cartoon? Really? Everyone's not over that yet?

indigi fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 30, 2011

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SpacePig posted:

That really was a frighteningly accurate Hank Hill. Can Scott come on to his own program as a character?

I wish he'd bring back Dismissive Jimmy Stewart

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

What Am I Thinking is great when you have guests who are super into the game, and this wasn't one of those weeks. One of the last times Chelsea Peretti was on she was so loving pumped to play and win that it was infectious. If the players aren't excited there's no comedy or entertainment.

Also the musical guests all suck and Scott might have the worst musical taste of all time. I'd rather listen to Joe Pesci's Nice Guy for every musical break than any one of the musical guests he's had in-studio this year. It's annoying cause I always have to fast forward.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The problem with getting more, different people on the podcast is one of schedules, lack of money or actual cultural penetration for a guest spot. It really is a situation where guys touring or in from NY/Seattle/Chicago/Philadelphia/Wherever are in town for a short amount of time, have things to do and people to see, and it's gonna be hard to get their free time to line up with when Scott has the studio... and even if it does, they might rather sleep in or jerk off rather than be on a podcast. Especially nowadays because Chris Hardwick, Jimmy Pardo, Marc Maron, Jesse Thorn, Todd Glass, Doug Benson, Kumail, etc. etc. are all asking these people to come do their shows. They just might not have time. It's funny though when an outsider shows up on a grip of podcasts at the same time and you're like "oh, must be shooting a part/guest appearance/special."

Musical guests are usually musicians and this are going to be absolutely boring at best on CBB, just like they all have been (except Aimee Mann). There are a couple shows where non-comedy people can work out, but CBB usually isn't one of them. Also all their music sucks (including Aimee Mann).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Transfatuation posted:

This week's Dead Authors podcast with Paul F. Tompkins has Scott as a particularly deranged interpretation of Benjamin Franklin.

"Yeah. I'm out there doin' what I do."
"Throwing money in people's faces, kicking boats, vandalizing babies..."

Loose lips, hard to cum

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

It wasn't a falling out, BJ just got busy and wasn't involved in producing the weekly standup show at all anymore, as far as I understand it. Everything got the name-change so Scott/Earwolf would be able to lay sole claim to all of it and not have to worry about any legal issues down the line.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thirding

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

plastered quack posted:

ditto, although I was kind of hoping we'd be able to hear/watch the CBB Nativity special as a end of year thing/purchase. Guess I'm getting greedy.

That would be such an incredibly difficult thing to put together what with how many comedians would be burning material for charity in addition to all the weird experimental poo poo I'm sure they probably wouldn't like laid down for all to see and judge them by.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Flying-Chip posted:

What's the episode with Werner Herzog?
the latest PFT/Zach G episode

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Oh poo poo you're in for one now boy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

https://twitter.com/#!/PFTompkins/status/150319916942233601

" Oh, @ScottAukerman, you son of a BITCH. "

Am I missing something or is the joke just that it's for 15 cents? I have a feeling I'm not catching on to some deep deep CBB cut reference.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Maybe he and Scott had a sleepover

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

How are u posted:

Do you think the show will work as well in a non-audio format?

And that text pic between Scott and Kulap is adorable. It must be pretty interesting being married to Hot Saucerman :3:

It's not gonna be CBB! as we know it, it'll be mostly a pre-produced/sketch show, which will work brilliantly as Scott is an amazing writer and will undoubtedly get fantastic talent to work with him as well. I doubt we'll ever have Adam Scott Bot getting activated by Alan Rickman in this format, but it should be a lot tighter and more LPMs.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Not even gonna download this weeks, Rona and Beverly are the opposite of funny

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sean Conroy is so goddamned funny on improv4humans, Bear Down, and The Longshot that I really don't understand how he's not a famous writer or sketch performer or something.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think the two Jimmy Pardo guest episodes (with Rory and with Paul Rust/Rob Delaney) are fantastic intros, as are any of the Marissa Wompler episodes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah you'd think with a fleet of interns and four paid engineers they could maybe not blow my loving eardrums out. the plugs section of CBB this week was the same way

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

"I poo poo myself awake" and the ensuing confusion made me lose it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I dunno if I'd go that fair. I'm kind of sick of the "weird Jewish duo" trope that turns up surprisingly often for a podcast with such unique and varying characters.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

It was good, better than most comedies on network TV by a good deal. I'd put it comfortably behind 30 Rock and Parks & Rec but then again it was 4 episodes in, so it's to be expected that it wouldn't instantly be the funniest show on television. Jessica and Lennon were super good together, it's a real shame :(

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Greggy posted:

My musical tastes just don't match up to Scott's at all, so unless its a comedy music act the episodes with live music are my least favorites.
Also, I know Scott pulls him in for the celebrity factor, but Zach Galifianakis is probably my least favorite guest. He always has that phoning it in, doing you a favor attitude. He still has his funny moments but I'd trade them in for basically anyone else.
I agree 1000% on your first point, but disagree with your second. I don't think he's phoning it in, I think that's just how he is in any sort of interview/talk-show type thing, from what I've seen, and I think it's hilarious. I do think he may be a bit more reserved when it comes to saying anything that isn't a joke since the giant Mel Gibson drama, though.

Like, come on Scott. You don't even play full comedy songs anymore and you often interrupt them in the middle for ads (what the gently caress kind of decision is that). Why subject us to boring music. That said I think Scott is a loving insane genius and will listen to whatever he does.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Adomian's Christopher Hitchens was amazing the first time and super hilarious the second. I think he if he was as frequent a guest as most other characters he'd be a favorite.

Kroll's Bobby B is a really strong contender but I think my favorite is Marissa Wompler. It's such a fully realized and consistent character that whatever situation she shows up in you can sort of predict how she'll respond. And it's hilarious.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Really need an episode where it turns out Gillian is Marissa Wompler's older cousin or something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I've really really tried to enjoy Tim and/or Eric. I have. I've seen many many minutes of their shows, whole episodes even, both sober and stoned. I don't get them. They just do not appeal to me in any way. I've not laughed once at any of their shows. They're aggressively unfunny to me and it's bewildering to me that some people who have generated genius-level comedy find it a good idea to include them in... anything. I realize I'm in a very very tiny minority on this.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

Also they discuss whether they would rather be friends with an artist or listen to their music. Earbuds or we're buds.

This is what I do with a lot of podcasts nowadays.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Back on Topps is pretty great I thought. Not least because it includes THE Janet Varney.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah it barely looks like him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I loved this week's episode. Deanna Russo/Tamara G's answer "neither" was so loving brilliant for practically any WYR while remaining in character that I almost exploded. Janet Varney/Carly had a grip of lines that absolutely destroyed me, she was the MVP imo. If yall ain't watch Burning Love yet, give it a try. Ken Marino is too loving handsome.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Victorkm posted:

Kroll is gay? How bout that...

Whoa. My mind is blown both by this fact and that my immediate reaction was "are you sure he's just not really Jewish?" as if that can somehow be mistaken for gay.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

He's not married cause that would have come up on his episode of You Made It Weird and for the same reason I'm pretty sure he's not openly gay cause if he were I'd have remembered that. I wonder where that came from. Although I guess either of those things could have changed in the past couple months since that interview.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Had to waste Ben Schwarz on an episode I wouldn't listen to if you paid me. Tony Clifton? Really? What am I, 50 years old? That character sucked back when it was still relevant. No thanks.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

No, there are quite a few episodes where they put the ads in in the middle of the songs. At least, there were; I haven't gone back and re-listened. It was completely ridiculous. And I am fine not fast forwarding through ads (except the Pepsi ones) and comedy songs, but Scott has such god loving awful taste in music that when he has anyone do music in-studio (except Don't Stop or We'll Die, of course) I have to fast forward through them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Well like every article that came out over the next week or two mentioned that ON INDIE 103.1's COMEDY DEATH-RAY PODCAST Zack spoke out about it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

super disappointed there was no real foam corner but it was a great episode

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Once I heard Tim Heidecker was gonna be on the Philly show all desire to buy a ticket evaporated. gently caress :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SpacePig posted:

Tim Heidecker is at every show, from what I understand

That's a real shame, then. I was thinking about heading up to NY cause I've friends up there who'd go see it, but I will be damned before I travel 100 miles to see that abyss of comedy.