Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really really hope Benny gets to do a one-off podcast on Earwolf. I really hope he does anything silly I can put into my ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Matt Besser's weird anti-adults-drinking-milk thing has always baffled me. Who doesn't like a nice glass of milk?

Also, today's episode was pretty eh. I get that non-comedy folks aren't going to be as "on" as comics, but it was pretty awkward to have a handful of guys just sit there without talking the entire show. Mike had to carry a bit too much weight on his shoulders.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So I discovered that certain shows on Netflix have these really detailed ratings. And to be honest, if I was a parent these really specific details are 10000% more helpful than "some sexual content." But this still cracks me up:

Also I think it's awesome that consumerism is up there with violence.

How do you get to that? Just tried clicking on the ratings box on a couple of shows pages and it just took me to a "How does Netflix decide the maturity rating on movies and TV shows?" page.

e: Nevermind, it's farther down the page!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

erezaka posted:

yeah i forgot about the word nom noms somehow. although you can at least see some merit in buying overpriced health food compared to figurines of your favorite pacific rim characters

As a person whose manchild friend has loot crate, I can tell you that the 3rd tier garbage he tries to push on me as "gifts" are much worse than even that. Thanks for the terrible Marvel documentary and mini Star Lord toy, Alex, it definitely won't just rot in my closet until I find it again and throw it away.

Naturebox, however, makes for great low-effort Christmas presents for people you know who are afraid of toxins.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Agreed for the most part, but oftentimes they use that as a basis and just sort of spin off that character into an entirely different scene. But often times they do not.

I went back and relistened to a lot of early I4H episodes recently and found them so refreshing. No long rants by Besser, no musicians, no videos, no interviews, no case-closed yelling, just Twitter suggestions leading to funny scenes.

I love alternate formats like the interview and whatnot for stage shows, but for a podcast I'm just looking to get bite-sized scenes, not have to skip over a song I don't care for every 5 minutes or keep skipping ahead to not hear Besser yelling about how adults shouldn't drink milk or whatever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

I don't know, I think the callback is the foundation of this Del Close-y improv. You don't find the scenes as funny without the monologue (or youtube or whatever) or without the previous sketches. But I agree that the games spawned from the youtubes tend to be shallow, they don't do much with it, go with the first joke.

I agree, but the balance is completely off. If I go and see a UCB stage show, I get a 20-minute Harold based on a one word suggestion or story. With I4H, it's constantly stopping and starting to the point where some episodes are more chatting and ranting than scenes.

e: Improv is not easy. At all. Go to any indie team show or 3rd-tier comedy theater and you'll see. Time and time again. Or take a class and spend 8 weeks watching terrible, terrible improv.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 23, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you've seen one bad ComedySportz show or a Second City touring company show you're basically an expert, right?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

I coach a monoscene team and I gave them this link to regurgitate when they need to explain why good longform is so hard: http://youtu.be/Ow4ZUCBXsKA

He goes into a lot more detail here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0lugPF15ks

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just a heads up for people who love Adomian's Leykis who have never listened to the Todd Glass Show: he's even better on there.

Todd and Adomian bounce off each other so well. But you also have to deal with the positives and negatives of the Todd Glass Show, if that's a big turnoff for you. Just think of it as a sketch show being written in real time and you're good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want Scott and Reggie to be in mid-conversation, close-up on Scott saying something, then when it cuts back Kid Cudi has replaced Reggie. Scott carries on the conversation as if nothing happened, and they never speak of it again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was just listening to the Todd Glass episode where he and James Adomian talked about coming out and had completely forgotten that Scott is actually a really good interviewer when he's not trying to comedically undercut his guest. Were there other episodes where he did a more straight interview?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In which episode was the term "Grepisode" coined?

e: or was that UTU2TM?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 7, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Definitely a grepisode, been waiting so long to hear Andy Daly and PFT on the same ep.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kdrudy posted:

I like how August Lindt keeps creeping in at the edges of Jean Claude Pepi

Santa was straight-up Thicke.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I lik musical guests on cbb because they're all super dry shy dorks and they give good reactions and some of them are funny. Unlike on improv for humans where it ruins the format it often improves it by putting the straightest possible straight man in the room and giving all the hams someone to preform for. I generally don't like the musical segments but who cares just skip em.

Mostly agreed, but I find that the interviews are way more boring than non-musicians because they generally take a long time to warm up to Scott's anti-interview style and understand what he's going for. They usually do pretty well in the second half if they feel confident enough to actually speak up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lord Wexia posted:

Claudia O'Doherty deserves 3 times the success of Nick Kroll and Lauren Lapkus combined.

Yeah, she slays me every time she's on. Overall a solid episode

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the greatest war criminal!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I got really confused and thought Middleditch was just a terrible guest, since I thought PFT had switched over to doing his character and Middleditch just checked out. Whoops!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't imagine that's the case. A lot of the CBB characters have been part of the comics acts for years, and I've heard others show up on podcasts on other networks, like Don Dimello on Superego.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just more evidence of Scott's terrible taste in music.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
At least Besser has a preference, even if it's not my thing some of the time. It just feels like Scott's tastes are so bland and square.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The type of music I was listening to when I was 16 was not the best kind of music.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

UP AND ADAM posted:

I thought it was a good ep, but still really awkward how two co-stars of some random web series came in to shill their poo poo, and then a cavalcade of wacky improv happened at them. Jarles is one of my favorite characters now. I'm also an avid fan of PFT and Scott's Serial snark.

Can't wait for that commentary.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like his commercial reads because it's really easy to tell when it's an ad vs the show proper when using the skip forward button.

Though it's kind of crazy to me that the commercial breaks can be up to 4 minutes now.

Really like how PFT does the Spontaneanation ads - making them into bits so I actually listen to them. Pardo does a bit of that, but PFT's are way more engaging.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I got a 3 month NatureBox as a present for someone. Then the site autorenewed my subscription without notification, then they wouldn't let me modify my subscription or cancel online.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

They can't be worse than the EXXXTREME EIGHT BLADES variety of crap you buy in the stores.

Cheap blades only suck if you don't clean and dry them properly, otherwise you can use a standard disposable Bic forever and it'll stay sharp.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Which as far as I know only happens in really large cities?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Loot Crate is so bad

As a person who knows a Loot Crate subscriber, I can attest to this. An entire year of getting terrible "gifts" of the garbage he didn't want.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Loot Crate is like your grandma finding out that you like some nerdy things so she assumes you'll like every nerdy thing - and then you get 10 years of Guardians of the Galaxy stickers and Harry Potter jellybeans or whatever other thing she finds in the Wal Mart bargain bin that she thinks fits in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

That just gives me a list of themes and doesn't tell me what's so bad, not that I don't believe you guys.

Some items my friend tried to pass off as gifts last Christmas: Guardians of the Galaxy Lego ripoffs, an awful DVD of a documentary about Marvel, a Tyrion Lannister anime doll, a Ghostbusters door hanger, and some knitted Groot socks.

Do a Google Image search for "Loot Crate" and any given month and you'll see what's in there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Titus Sardonicus posted:

And god, Scott's interns are just terribly unprofessional, I don't even know how that Wompler kid got her own podcast.

Which, if anyone hasn't listened to it, is a good time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone who doesn't also listen to Superego that if you're a Dimello fan, you must listen to Season 4, Episode 2 in which Dimello takes over as a substitute for an elementary school classroom. It goes about how you'd expect.

Dimello: "I understand she told me you guys were working on the recorder."
Kid 1: "Yeah, we were working on fingerings for middle C."
Kid 2: "We're learning Hot Crossed Buns."
Dimello: "Yeah, yeah. I know a couple of things about buns. And fingeringgg."

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 23, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The two episodes this week are probably the only ones I've never finished :(

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cameron was great, but she wasn't quite meshing with Paul and Scott all of the time. She had fantastic yes and-ing, but it seemed like 50% of the time she either got steamrolled over by P&S or was taking the scene a slightly different direction than they were looking to. Overall it worked, but there just seemed to be a bit of whiplash going on - kind of reminds me of when Todd Glass is on. Maybe it's just a standup vs. improviser/writer thing.

I'm also a little disappointed that they did nothing with the fact that she was a superhero's ward. I thought this was going to be all about her having become his Robin.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 28, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

I tried listening to superego today but I don't think I like it though there are some funny bits. It feels so, i dunno, edited? I think I'd like it better without like the sound effects and production and it was just the comedians

Just think of it as a sketch show rather than an improv show. Some other edited improv podcasts (ie Make Yourself Comfy) do the same "improvise then edit" thing, but Superego actually has them go back and do multiple takes and they prompt each other to do things. I think it's just equivalent to a sketch that happened to be written on the spot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah, I guess maybe I just don't like sketch comedy that much. So im left wishing there was more unedited improving

Assuming you already listen to I4H, I'd recommend You Tell It, a new podcast from the UCBNY crew. Nobody "big" on there, but a lot of great improvisers from the New York improv community. ASSSSCAT/Armando style show, solid improv with some storytelling. Make Yourself Comfy is also fun and shares some of the same crew, but does have sound effects - though very minimal editing. The Todd Glass Show can be looked at through the lens of being a sketch show written on the fly but with no editing. But it's not for everyone.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Your way works too posted:

This page so far is completely indecipherable.

I agree, but I think I fell asleep for a nap 15 minutes into the episode and woke up as it was ending.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Betsy Sodaro is amazing in anything. I, too, am going to give Hollywood Handbook a try thanks to this thread's constant, endless recommendations of it. Congratulations, guys, you won.

Any recommendations on a first: Neil Casey, Jon Gabrus Again, Kumail Nanjiani, Paul F Tompkins Again, or Matt Gourley?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 12, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

The harassing of the Engineers is the funniest loving thing

Absolutely. What show has the biggest engineer presence outside of Who Charted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would I like Reality Show Show even if I've never seen a reality show and am completely unaware of the tropes?