Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just a heads up that there's a bit of a push to save Best Friends Forever, which airs it's last 2 episodes tomorrow night on NBC. Jessica St Clair is on CBB a fair bit, and there was a Wompler reference in the last episode, and Lennon Parham was on the last Marissa Wompler 'cast back a few weeks ago. They're both super cool and it sucks that the network basically wanted to shitcan their show before the first episode even went out, so be nice to send it out with style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry my days are all blurring into one and I thought today was Thursday! Yes, the new episodes are on Friday night. NBC really didn't bother with advertising, so no surprise it didn't get huge numbers. A lot of the humour comes from St Clair/Parham being actual real life friends, and I think people who know them from CBB and other podcasts will probably get more out of it than your average viewer who's never heard of either before. It's just a 'nice' show, and IMO better than the majority of comedy that's aimed at women.

The reference from the last episode was when Jessica was on a date and the following convo gets dropped:

quote:

Keith: You were with someone...
Jessica: Who, Eric Wompler?
Keith: The Womps
Jessica: I was only with Womplestiltskin because he had a pool

Fun drop for people who know Marissa.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I tend to listen to podcasts as I go to bed, so I'm still only about 1/2 way through the newest CBB... is the Wompler podcast they talk about at the beginning a real thing that's happening or just a gag? Because that would be the best thing, especially if Lennon was heavily involved.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Deadpool posted:

I'm a huge sketch show fan, and I watch pretty much any sketch show there is.

If you've never dipped your toe into the pond that is UK sketch comedy, I can probably give you some pointers to good stuff. I'm pretty negative about the state of televised UK comedy as a whole, but the 80s/90s had some amazing sketch stuff you might not be aware of.

(ie 'Smack The Pony' which is just unreal good, and it's all by ladies too and is therefore my 'go to' answer whenever anyone moans about unfunny ladies.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GraPar posted:

Loved Christmas special (opening catchphrase really got me for some reason). Womptacular was great too - agreed that Scott probably doesn't need to be on the next one

Yeah, I think Scott worked well to set up the first episode, mainly as he has the most experience with the technical aspects of hosting a show, but going forward it should be very much 'their' thing and not a sub-CBB. Really glad Mantzoukas worked so well for Gutterballs, although they really need to update the picture of him on the site... seeing him without the Rafi beard just seems wrong and infinitely more terrifying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The discussion about his lisp, and the amazing ambiguity as to what he was saying, had me in absolute stitches. I seriously can't wait to see him live (and it astounds me that his 10 night, 150 capacity venue run in London still seems to have tickets available each night. I think Delaney sold out all his tickets in like an hour or something).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If stopping a live show thousands of miles from where I live means more chances of double podcast action, then suck it good weather havers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wow, I was always expecting a renewal as the network seemed happy but that's a huge order. I have high hopes for season 2, they seem the type to listen to feedback.

Any news on when we can expect it to air, fall perhaps?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dorepoll posted:

This is incredible. I forgot how great it is when Apatow is trying to tell a story and Scott and Wompler keep saying it because they have to. They can't resist.

I also love how Wompler always refers to Scott as 'The Choctaw', it's nice that one of his nicknames has taken hold with someone at least!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

anotherone posted:

I don't know if anyone else listened to Hypercritical but Nathan Fielder sounds exactly like John Siracusa. Weird nervous "uh"s and everything.

He also sounds a lot like Dan Mintz to me and my housemate. If I didn't know the name of the person who played Tina on Bob Burger but knew it was a guy, we would've thought it was Nathan when we watched Nathan For You last week. Also: watch Nathan For You, I haven't seen the second episode yet but the first was really good. CC actually premiered 2 shows on one night, and without doubt the hardest night to break into comedy, that were both really entertaining. Along with Kroll Show they've debuted some good stuff this year.

(I haven't watched more than 10 minutes of Jeselnik's yet, but I like his stand up I just don't think he suits yet another weekly review kind of show. The kind of jokes he tells need to be honed over a long period of time and worked with an audience, rather than 'welp this happened this week so I guess we need to think of something edgy to say about it and FAST!')

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching the JASH video on Google YouTube made me realise something I'd not noticed before - if you shaved Reggie Watts' head but kept the beard, it's actually Brett Gelman under there the whole time. What a ruse.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I quite like that Scott has some quality control going on and won't put out episodes he doesn't think meet the grade, could hurt a guests reputation etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hey now, don't forget we're due that serious, no stone left unturned Patton Oswalt interview at some point. Scott just needs to remember to lock that door!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just saw Kristen Schaal on Twitter advising people not to watch her CC special. Seemed pretty serious, didn't she bring this up during a CBB ep too? Feel bad something she isn't happy with is going to air, just hope it's better than she thinks it is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Me in Reverse posted:

Maybe it's a bit that she's doing?

It's loving obviously a bit that she's doing.

Ah I didn't hear that part of the episode myself, I just remember people talking about it here and I don't recall any indication that it was a gag.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

40 new posts on a Wednesday? Did Farts 3 drop?! Urgh.

Did the buzzfeed link earlier in the thread work before? It's 404ing now, not sure if they pulled the article or if there was a typo. Goddamn that site is terrible though.

I guess all this debacle has made me think about is, if Hot Saucerman - a man who has had an insane amount of female comedians on his show - gets turned on for being a misogynist, then maybe I've incorrectly thought bad of other tweeters before for writing what can be perceived as a bigoted post.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wow, even worse than I could have predicted. I can understand people's instant reactions on twitter, but for a site that pretends to be any what journalist? Urgh. How about take ten seconds to look at how in an industry that had gender lines, he's one of the good guys who obviously doesn't see it as an issue. Maybe Scott didn't think too deeply about a possible message he could accidentally put out there, or he was just making a dumb joke in character... it doesn't take much research to realise this isn't a bad guy spreading hate. Plenty of people doing that though, so maybe write a piece about them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's sadly where a lot of people get their 'news' and form their opinions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Greggy posted:

I was hoping Jason would do Gutterballs and play Marissa and Tracy off each other even more, but this was the closest to a perfect balance such a big show could ever reach and I am definitely not complaining.

Yeah, I came away thinking something similar - it felt like Lauren should have been left for another Wompcast where she could be the girl that Gutterballs had run off with. Nothing stopping that from happening of course, and I wouldn't have not wanted the Wompler/Reardon rivalry - it was amazing. I love when they do these big shows, everything gels together so well and they're amazing episodes.

quote:

I think this was David Wain's best appearance to date, he was fully in the mix and hilarious. "Can my wife come with us to your prom?"

I felt a bit bad that most of the others were in crazy character and poor David Wain just had to be himself. Mantzoukas is enough of a character he doesn't really need to play anyone else.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Damnit, just sat down to watch the video and it's been flagged as private. Should've downloaded it earlier!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Deadpool posted:

It wasn't supposed to be one on one. Huskey was supposed to be there and didn't make it.

He's also in the film so it probably would've still been a similar show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New episode has dropped and I'm pretty happy by the guest choice, both making their debuts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Power of Pecota posted:

Thanks to indigi for getting Scott/Jessica St. Clair/Gillian Jacobs to agree to do an episode together on twitter.

Oh god, if they intertwine Wompler with the ongoing PFT/Gillian lines, my head might just explode. I really hope that Wompler is going to be on CBB s2 as well.

As for yesterday's episode, I tend to put them on as I go to bed so I probably only heard the first 40 minutes or so, but I found it really funny. Liked Sans' character and found myself laughing when I should have been sleeping.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought there was a second episode this week, or is it a VPN ep tonight while I'm fast asleep?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's Thursday here in the GMT... but yeah, I hosed up and forgot what day it was. Doh! Something to look forward to in the morning then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Woop, got the date right this time... time to settle down to the new episode.

Also I've never really looked carefully at the logo before, but I think I'll only be referring to the show by its full title of 'Scott Aukerman's Comedy Bang! Bang! The Podcast' from now on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lugaloco posted:

It might be because I'm using Media Hint, the Chrome extension that allows you to access US Netflix. Otherwise I have no idea.

Yep, that works for me in the UK too... thanks for that! I have Unblock US already but it isn't setup for IFC I guess. Will have to see if Media Hint helps with anything else (like Watch ESPN!)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lost it when Schwartz asked whether Werner was Dracula when he appeared.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just started it up, holding my hand over the screen so I couldn't read what it says.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Also, of the 20 episodes I've listened to, I think I was 15 episodes in before I found out that Kulap was a real person and not a made up comedy wife with an odd name.

Whose wife?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

is what I was looking for ;)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is his new show shot on location in NY then?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hot drat, when they talked about it being in August it felt so far away... I wasn't expecting this so soon! Definitely going to take an early night and listen to this in full (rather than falling asleep 30 minutes in like I usually do...). Womp it up!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd only seen the odd (generally 80s or 90s) clip of SNL when I read the 'Live from New York' book, and from that point on I haven't missed an episode. The whole book is built from snippets of interviews with dozens of cast members, writers, crew from over 20 years and you get a real appreciation for what they do there. There's very few episodes that are hits all the way through, but drat some of the stuff they do is great.

It'll be interesting to see what/who people have to bitch about this year, the only person who got chided last season (Armisen) is gone now, and while we've lost great cast members in Jason Sudeikis and Bill Hader, the remaining cast were generally pretty awesome. As Eltoasto said, the current female cast is great (and would be even better if we never lost Casey Wilson and Mikaela Watkins imo) which is such a positive thing for a male dominated industry. I think we're at one of those generation splits currently, most of the old guard have left in the last 2 years and most of the talked about people are either featured players or only just joining the regular cast. Looking forward to the season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

There's a Comedy Death Ray album on Spotify that features sets by a lot of CBB regulars, and on lots of them you can hear PFT guffawing in the background, it's the best.

Is this the CD that has the Neil Hamburger set in front of a crowd who knows who he is and gets it? I love that set. It's just nice to hear him in front of appreciative people for a change. It must be hard to purposely bomb on stage every night afterall.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Here's the Ferguson clip for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91NUAZsvXyU

You can tell that her saying that off hand comment completely threw her off her game, so it was good that Ferguson/Leno got involved and saved it. Also nice to see Ferguson hanging around to watch the comedians as he used to have a bit of a reputation for leaving before them.

Liked Cameron except when she stepped on Brandon's introduction interview to basically say "I was at something you did; also I can't spell Metalocalypse."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's amazing, I wish I could've seen my face when I heard Scott say a handful of loving strawberries was gonna cost me $20. What an absolute crock of poo poo, I feel bad because nobody in their right mind is going to bother buying this and it's a waste of advertisement space.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JethroMcB posted:

I did a double-take when I saw the runtime of this year's Christmas episode. That's a lot of CBB!

You're not kidding. I looked through the iTunes list and it was only the anniversary show and a few previous Xmas shows that have broken the 2hour barrier*, and they only just broke it. This is more Comedy Bang Bang than has ever Bang Banged before.

* not including Best Ofs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I presume they'll be doing Mon/Thu releases of the 4 podcasts over the next 2 weeks? I'm really looking forward, as I end up listening to CBB before I go to sleep (as I have no commute anymore) and I often miss some really good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm still a bit behind, and just heard the 'next weeks guest is Eric Jonrosh' advert... so I'm guessing this is going to be Will Ferrell then? That should be pretty awesome.