Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I always caught slight misogyny vibes from Rogan and was able to be in denial about it but it wasn't until I heard him rail against women who want to be in power / in politics that, well, jesus christ.

Then he did it again a few days later. This will definitely sound creepy since it's written on the internet but I do kind of wonder what his relationship with his wife is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Leo posted:

Speaking of his wife, I remember trying to look her up and I couldn't find anything at all. No pictures of her or information or anything. I definitely understand why they'd prefer it that way, but it just seems somewhat strange.

Maybe not, I don't know.
I get that too but if there's really zero media of her whatsoever it makes me wonder if he even allows he to go anywhere with him. By now I would think someone would go "Hey it's Joe Rogan and he's with a woman no one's ever seen before let me snap a picture". Again, very interesting.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The prerecorded fleshlight promos with Redban really creeped me out.

But I guess that says something to Joe's credit that his don't?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yessss someone cropped my favorite moment ever from the entire podcast. This needs to go in the OP for reasons to listen to it. It features Joe and Duncan cracking eachother up and Redban being dismissed and ignored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfy7LQFuM9E

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Can you imagine!!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

One day I hope to have Duncan Trussel and Bert "The Machine" Kreischner on the same podcast... :allears:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I used to think Kevin Pereira was a personality-less corporate drone exactly like Ryan Seacrest but god drat did the first podcast with him shatter that. Yesterday's also kicked rear end and Kevin Pereira loving owns and I wish they went longer :<

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

glassy-eyed bambi posted:

Im interested in why you thought this, because on g4 he had a decent amount of personality. He was no tommy tallarico but I can't think of what media you saw that would have you form this opinion (this isn't to be confused with "i can't see why someone couldn't like him" because that's completely different).
Very very brief bits of him doing really mundane poo poo on Attack of the Show, as well as his interview with one of the admins at SA here. I've never watched TechTV or G4 so he just seemed like another bland, generic host. So glad to be wrong about him.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I liked how, twice, on the last podcast joe said, while defending marijuana, that it makes "sex taste better" and no one said anything :kiddo: but there were definitely awkward pauses after each time.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

CortezFantastic posted:

He means food, but it does make sex better fo sho

Yeah I know what he meant, I just found it funny. He did say "makes food taste better" immediately before "sex tastes better". Both times it sounded like he was about to correct himself too but he was just like gently caress it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't really mind stuff with Joe cause I've never once felt like he was being dishonest about anything. That's kind of what I like the most about his podcast. He has a lot of stupid, uninformed opinions about stuff but the fact that he knows this and points it out and isn't all ego, ego, ego is actually endearing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The best part of that is the awkward pause and then the last "... All day!!!", like he was even considering not saying the last part cause it kind of doesn't make much sense.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yeah. As much as I want to respect and understand his keeping his wife a secret, that does creep me out so much that he never, ever mentions her or talks about her ever.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

That was a pretty sweet 3 hour commercial for Onnit labs today.

I liked the other podcasts Aubrey was on and was excited about this one, but gently caress that was exhausting to get through.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Nope.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Just a minor nitpick but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Gorilla :v:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Can you imagine!!!??!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

SKULE123 posted:

Looks like TJ Miller podcasted up in response to Dane Cook's doing the same on the Icehouse Chronicles.

He's on the Pete Holmes podcast for his side, haven't listened yet.

Could someone provide some backstory? This sounds interesting but I don't know what you're talking about and haven't seen this discussed in the thread.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

They've honestly made me have to take a break from the show. At first I didn't mind them, but 10+ minutes of "Hey I know a lot of people give me poo poo but TRUST ME IT WORKS" got really loving annoying.

It's weird, they didn't annoy me at all until he kept pointing out over and over every single show that other people get pissed off at it. Just can't stand it anymore.

I wish he would just make them a pre-recorded spot stuck at the beginning and/or end of the podcast so I can just skip it (exactly how I do with Jay Mohr and Marc Maron's podcasts).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

See the thing is I almost never get annoyed at this stuff, ever. I never had any problems with the fleshlight ads, not once, even when they went on and on. With the Rogan pill ads it just gets very, very tiring hearing him get so defensive and complain about people, insulting the audience every single time. I know I could just skip up until Brian hits the music but I don't want to miss anything funny since that is part of the show! I'll get back to him eventually the last couple weeks I just kinda go Ugh when I think about him desperately defending those pills. If he could contain his anger or just do a prerecorded ad, it'd be fine.

Also it's not fair at all to make it sound like you're some sort of rear end in a top hat for having any criticism about free internet entertainment. How's a show supposed to get better without any feedback? He's making some dollars now with his sponsors so trust me he wants to put on the best show he can. poo poo, the only other annoyance I had with this show wasn't even about Joe, it was way back in like July when he had on that lecturing dude who never stopped talking.

But as I said in my post, I'm not mad about the ads themselves at all, I'm bitching about his bitching! :)

To end this classy, has he said anything about NBC not airing the Fear Factor episode/segment where the contestants had to drink donkey semen?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

How long were they together?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

NewsRadio is my favorite show ever made and is the reason I know who Joe Rogan is. It's a must watch.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Evil Agita posted:

Its been a really long time since I've seen it but I remember liking it a lot. I stopped watching after Phil Hartman was replaced, how did Lovitz do?

He had a rough start because the writers really didn't know what his character would be, but they found their stride later on in the season and there were definitely some really good episode in S5, but every single episode kind of had that tinge of sadness to it :(

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

nemoulette posted:

Yeah, this episode with the hoarder guy was really good.

Which hoarder guy is this? Last year on Jay Mohr's podcast he had a producer of the Hoarder show on and it was one of my favorite eps.

I'll leave a a lil plug for Jay Mohr's podcast, Mohr Stories while I'm at it- consistently loving hilarious and it's got similar vibe to Joe's.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

That Mike Paxton guy was a great guest. But man Joe always gets so uncomfortable around guys who say they love their wives and enjoy doing things for them/being around them. That really bugs me about him.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

That's kinda the thing about it.

Yes this is all speculation I could absolutely be 100% wrong opening up this can of worms but he just sounds like he does as little as he can to get by with his wife. He obviously loves his kids but I just think it's weird as hell he almost never, ever talks about his wife ever. Yeah, the thing about her wanting to be anonymous but, still, you'd think he'd have some random, innocuous nice things to say about her from time to time- more than, almost nothing ever. Plus it sounds like he cares more about what his buddies think about him when he mentions he's married and right behind it he always throws the disclaimer "I only did it because it made HER happy!!!". Then you have Doug Stanhope, one of his best friends, whispering that he's a total misogynist as soon as Joe gets up (loving lol).

Not at all trying to drag this thread down and say he actively hates women and masturbates to female humiliation poo poo like a Sal Governale, but at best (and I do try to give him this credit) I think he's blissfully unaware at how much of a sexist he comes off as and thinks every guy is like him.

edit: the marriage thing does kinda bug me. To a lot of women marriage is a big loving deal, and this definitely goes for his wife if she forced him into it. Since this is the case wouldn't it be, I dunno, just a common courtesy to at least act like being married was important as to not make your own spouse and mother of your children feel like you were just doing her a favor? drat.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 20, 2012

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think the point is, and it was the point I was making, is that people tend to mention their relationships on a semi-daily basis because most people consider that a large/important part of their life.

Man, I know I sound like such a downer in this thread but I like Joe- it's just that one aspect about him that really weirds me out :shobon:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jesus christ Joe high as gently caress losing it at the end there with the Alex Jones clip is the greatest thing I've ever seen. I love Joey but god drat he is a lunatic.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

At least it wasn't werewolves :shobon:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Redban actually addressed Joe's snapping on him on the Rogan Board's moderator podcast.
Whoa what's this about now?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My favorite awkward pause was where Joe tried to save it with "...powerful Don Irrera."

Maybe it was cause I wasn't paying too much attention to the entire thing but I liked that podcast and didn't dislike Irrera. I've never heard of him before in my life but he had a good sense of humor about him. I think I'm so biased against Brian that his insulting him about his comedy didn't bother me that much but maybe if it were someone else he was insulting I'd feel differently.

It's possible it didn't bother me because he was being pretty funny about it!

I took a break from JRE for a month or two but the last couple have been pretty good and I'm being drawn back in :unsmith:

edit: I skipped the Everlast one cause I've never heard of him. Worth listening to?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hah I was just about to ask that. I've listened to them all except whatever one with the religion monk dude and the StarCraft 2 guy and I enjoyed them (zero interest in what those guys have to say). I've had to skip through the opening bits with the ads and him just being weird and I'll begin listening when the intro music comes in.

I like his podcast. Yeah he's a weird guy but there's something very charming and endearing about him. I liked that short interview he was having with that weird sock and urine selling girl and just how genuinely interested he was in it all. Not in a creepy way (if you can even imagine that), but in a very sterile, medical way :kiddo:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yeah, count me in as super interested in the drama but we need to be better about posting links, episode/guest names and summaries so stuff is easier to find so we can discuss stuff better- while also being less alienating to newcomers to the thread :shobon:

edit: For some reason I love it every single time Joe refers to his twitter followers as his "twitter friends" :3:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 18, 2012

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

drat, Tom Segura has a badass Charlie Murphy impression briefly around 1hr35m, but everyone kept talking over it!!

I wanted to hear more of it :smith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I had to take a break for about a month or two because of his whining about alpha-brain whining and it was a great idea. He stopped at some point and I've been able to enjoy the last 10 podcasts very much :unsmith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I love jay mohr and his podcast but man I get douchechills whenever these flames are mentioned. Especially because you can hear it in Redban's voice his dick getting hard that Jay Mohr is giving him so much attention :smith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

goldblums eyes posted:

could you imagine

Anyone want a ringtone from my favorite part of the eddie bravo podcast this week?

https://www.darkintel.org/altron/JRE.mp3

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

He picked the wrong person to fight with, who can honestly not adore Duncan? :3:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

He's almost setting himself up to be the next Yolanda Saldívar, tho Joe would just chew up and spit out the bullet or he'd miss from being so high on Adderall (and all during the Alpha Brain commercial, which Joe would still get through uninterrupted).

I just hope with him gone for the time being I can finally get my Jay Mohr episode :unsmith:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

CortezFantastic posted:

I can't believe how badly Brian hosed himself in a week's time.

edit: well I'm going to use what is probably the end of the Redban era of JRX to refresh the OP. What I'd like people to do is recommend their favorite episodes (since we are up to 200+) or bits on Youtube that I could add to the OP.

Why, Country Boy, of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfy7LQFuM9E

I've never ever laughed harder at a podcast than at this loving clip.

It was also my introduction to Duncan :allears: