Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I respect him a lot for all the work he's put into his podcast- you can always tell Joe takes it very seriously and also really enjoys doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

With the current political climate tbh I'd be very surprised if the reason for lack of more progressive guests is that they seem mostly unwilling to talk to people on the other side if it's not a heavy controlled situation. Of all the people I follow on Twitter the most sane progressive ones seem scared of compromising the appearance of purity within their ranks while the sane other side want to talk more. I wish Laci Green would come on though, she's def been a force for good lately even tho lots on her side have ostracized her for the crime of having conversations :/

I will say my opinion above only applies to internet people. I haven't met any progressive irl who has chewed my head off for my political opinions, people are just better in person. Which is why I wish they'd go on JRE and places like it more. This post might suck cause I'm 8 hours into a trainride and its almost over in a minute and I'm trying to finish quick lol have a good one

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

eh its more she dated (dating?)/normalized a dude who literally retweeted nazi/white supremacist poo poo. and he likes to make racist and nazi statements 'ironically'.
condoning nazism and racism is not ok yo!

I think it's very condescending and hypocritical that so-called feminists are taking huge shits on a feminists with a large body of work spanning years for who she's dating and it is exactly what I was speaking to when I criticized the obsession with thought-purity I mentioned while scrambling for my bags last night. When you put ironically in quotes like that is it because you think the puerto rican dude she's dating is actually a secret nazi cause I've watched his stuff and I don't get this impression at all.

I think a big stupid issue with internet progressives these days is that any any edgy jokes that is critical of the left gets them immediately labeled nazis/white supremacists, even if the person isn't white. I guess the logic is "I'm for diversity and representation so if this person makes fun of my arguments they must be anti-diversity & anti-representation"?

Top often I see Poc/woman get called internalized whatever for wandering off the plantation, etc. I've had rather strong feelings on this ever since I started having family members of get called house niggers by BLM types for the crime of being black conservatives. I just wish people would talk to each other more without all the hyperbolic cuck/nazi/alt right name calling I see now which is something extremely positive I've gotten jre, that he'll talk and listen to just about anyone no matter who crazy :shobon:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

"I like x but the community/comment section is cancer"

-literally every goons hot take on everything that has ever existed

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

e: read the top comments on the video. this is what you are defending. also lol at these opinions been found in the joe rogan thread

C'mon man you know you're misrepresenting me- What am I defending again? I thought I was defending the accusations against the puerto rican guy she's dating being equated to literal white supremacy. Do you think the video has an intentional malicious social intent? It's a comedy video making fun of a small subset of over-emotional college students and those that cater to them. Nothing more.

Seems like a pretty sweet but incredibly dishonest & lazy gig if I can just label and discredit any disagreement with my politics as normalizing white supremacy instead of looking at myself critically...if you really think anonymous comments are indicative of literally anything then you have a lot to learn about the internet, my friend.

Also the top comment is a Michelle Obama quote???

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

That was really weak and disappointing, wow

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Crazy how fast people turn on Rogan for having someone from the left on.
Just wait till you see how fast this thread complains that he never has anyone from the left on.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Is Chelsea's father Dana White?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Has there ever been a guest where Rogan clearly cut it short cause the conversation sucked and not due to them having a busy schedule or whatever?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Always interesting to hear someone's changed perspective after leaving a form of religion in this jamie killstein episode

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Malaria posted:

So has he went from super social lefty to alt right chud now?

So far it doesn't seem like it. He seems lucid and balanced, able to look at his own flaws and mistakes, unlike your miles ian chong and candace owens types that just completely do a 180 cause all they crave is the validation echo chamber from whatever and wherever they can get it from, disconnected from having any sort of principles or core beliefs.

From what I've listened to so far, Jamie's not flipped his, like, politics necessarily, he's just un-echo-chambered himself while still holding those same values, which I think is a good thing. Resonates with me cause I think I went through something similar from my early 20s to now. I haven't finished it tho.

Realtalk I intensely dislike like the term SJW/snowflakes/etc and the smugness associated with laying any dismissive term down and these days I see "that" as more a description of awful, close-minded tribal behavior- separate from what your actual politics are. Conservatives absolutely have their own crying rear end "snowflakes", just about other stupid poo poo. Both try to dehumanize anyone who disagrees (even tho my bias makes me feel left types are much more genuinely well intentioned than their right counterparts), whereas there are plenty of hardcore leftists I plenty disagree with but truly admire their openness and friendly conduct when discussing/debating their ideas.

I hope this post makes some sense, I feel nervous putting myself out there making this kinda post in the joe rogan experience thread. God bless.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

We she the one who kept getting owned by bill burr lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Man what a main card at last night's UFC. Can't wait for the next podcast.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/madflavor/status/927532990057664513https://twitter.com/madflavor/status/927533034705797121

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/joerogan/status/934632647162085381

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Joe followed a bunch of a nazi furries on twitter lol

I love Joe

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Blocked whomst

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

And if you don't already know, that movie had a 28 on metacritic last time I looked :laugh:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

How so? I watched his debate with the Channel 4 person and nothing he said sounded unreasonable to me at all and I really liked his composure, a big departure from the loud, smug, childish "owns" that people go for on these types of debates now. Is he a secret rear end in a top hat?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

We Know Catheters posted:

Why does Joe give any time to Jordan Peterson? He's such a garbage person.

Answer my question!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Seltzer posted:

He didn't "go alt right". This is an extremely tired and weird narrative.
In 2018 one can only be progressive/woke or an alt right nazi.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

rt if u can hear this image

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 22, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Rogan said he wants to convert his conference room into a room to host quake lan parties in a recent episode lol.

That sounds awesome, that'd be badass if he streamed it and got mighty mouse or guys like that to join him

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh7GbfNn_n3/

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Go easy on Joe, he's a sweet boy. Why so angry. Take a hit, thread.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I can't believe Joe ROgan is a nazi alt right grand wizard.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I like Dave Rubin, what the hell is alt-right about him? Or is alt right just everyone right of progressive now. He had a very similar journey to mine as far as becoming very disillusioned with the left the last few years (especially us both being partv of marginalized groups that they try to court/pander to which I have a disgust for)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Alt-right seems to just be anybody with a political opinion you don't like

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

is this a bit?

he wasn't "disillusioned" the koches pay him tons of money to say the dumbest poo poo imaginable.

He has videos on his journey, I've watched them all and I believe him. I could not give a poo poo less what other groups he attracts for saying things I agree with. That's not my problem. I am an individual, I'm not trying to change anyone's minds and I don't do the whole guilt-by-association thing. If you want to provide any sources for what you're trying to convince me of, go for it, but all I see his detractors saying on twitter are he's a bigot and he's involved in trans-murder which is all just nonsense I see them pull all the time, then they always shut the hell up when asked to source anything they're talking about. So I can't trust heresay anymore, I just think a lot of progressives don't like that a gay dude left the plantation when his rightful "place" is with them. It's the same exact thing black people have to go through with which is where I identify with him a lot.

edit: So again I ask, what's alt-right about anything he says?

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 11, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

When you respond to me like that it just proves to me you are completely 100% full of poo poo, thanks though. I'm being nice to you and asking you questions and you just pull these games that I see all the time and I just could not care less if you're not gonna engage with me. I'm really trying here. I'm not arguing in bad faith about anything. If you think I'm being a dick, tell me.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

All righ. Do you understand what he's talking about?

To me I believe his point is regarding some college students (this is a tweet from last summer) trying to segregate some classes and into black-only or gay-only, etc spaces which is completely at odds with every single thing Dr. MLK Jr. ever talked about. White children and black children standing hand-in-hand, etc. If you think I'm misinterpreting something please tell me. It's a very disingenuous take that clip not including what he was referring to exactly but going back nearly a year ago I BELIEVE that was the event he was talking about. I think it's being overly simple and hyperbolic at worst but I am curious to what exactly you think he is trying to say there.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

He is not saying that he thinks mlk would be a consderative. He is saying, quite clearly, that mlk's words and actions could be seen as conservative in the extremist political spectrum we live in right now where some progressive students were literally trying to segregate ourselves. That the lines of what counts as liberal and conservative have shifted so much that mlk would have been displaced. Again, I think it's hyperbolic but I think you are being absolutely disingenuous here.

edit: you edited another clip as I Wrote this, I'm talking about the first clip. I haven't looked at the second.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

But he was talking specifically about left-wing college students when he made the point (I believe). The clip leaves out crucial context

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Malaria posted:

This conversation is dumber than Eddie Bravo

Sorry. Whenever I have conversations like this irl and am open about how I feel about things and want to know why people think the way they think and bridge the gap it's cool and I learn why people are the way they are, but when I do it online I just get snarky assholes being dismissive dicks to me, misrepresenting every single thing I talk about, calling me a bit and dumb. No clue why people think this is the way to be persuasive now but that's the internet. Almost everything is just call-out sick burn culture and drop the mic twitter bullshit. I'm just not cut out for serious internet discussion/being mad online.

Tbh I think a lot of my approach is from listening to joe rogan, I really admire that he'll talk to anyone and listen to them and then fire back and he's never an rear end in a top hat about it. He's always kind and I really like that. Not joking.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I knew I set myself up for that :laugh:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have politely asked several times what makes Dave Rubin alt-right and an entire page of posts later your only point about him is telling me he misrepresented MLK...when Rubin's entire point in the clip was to me literally "racial segregation is bad"...which, misrepresenting MLK or not, I agree that racial segregation is bad. Gee, I wonder why I'm so skeptical of all the labeling and don't trust the term at face value anymore. I hope this makes sense to you.

I think if you had a credible point and were interested in persuading me you'd have made it instead of mocking me and constantly changing the subject. I haven't treated you this way...if your argument now is "just Google it" then we should just end the derail now and agree to disagree.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Google is hard I'm just gonna assume I'm right. Meanies!! :(

If the evolution of political discourse now is for me to call people who disagree with me dumb, mock them, sidestep the subject, not answer any questions and then for my final act, smugly proclaim that the burden is on my opponent to prove themselves wrong then I don't think I'm cut out for this sort of thing. I don't want to do any of that. I am done talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You have nothing to say. I don't care.