Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Speaking of his wife, I remember trying to look her up and I couldn't find anything at all. No pictures of her or information or anything. I definitely understand why they'd prefer it that way, but it just seems somewhat strange.

Maybe not, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

I just read on the joerogan.net forum that Redban makes more than $80k a year (according to one of the videos he made a few years back).

:negative:

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

I think the worst part about the last podcast was Brian talking about how fish oil, vitamins, and supplements damage your body/liver similarly to alcohol.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Joe is killing me with his rants about the finance industry. I can only take so much of him complaining about shorting and derivatives (without knowing what they are), let alone his rant about how it's bullshit that stocks go up and down in price.

At least Bryan Callen corrected him a bit. Of course when he started to get in depth with what he would change Joe very quickly said he wanted to talk about something else.

I miss Joey Diaz.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Rogan Forums posted:

"The primary ingredient in Alpha Brain is L-dopa (it's the ingredient that people feel / notice the most; it's what causes the lucid dreams). L-dopa works by increasing dopamine levels. If you're under 35 years-old, and you're healthy / normal, you should not take Alpha Brain on a regular basis, because:

Dopamine starts to naturally deplete at around age 35 - 40, which causes the vast majority of side-effects we associate with old-age. Once the depletion begins, it gradually becomes worse with the coming years. If you're under 35, and you're a normal person, your dopamine levels are completely fine. If anything, taking Alpha Brain could be potentially harmful since you'd be causing your dopamine levels to become imbalanced. The older you are, the safer it is to use Alpha Brain without having a doctor supervise you (and monitor your neurotransmitter levels).

I'm not saying you can't take Alpha Brain on certain occasions; for instance: if you're jet-lagged or you partied super hard last night, your dopamine levels may be depleted and you can mess with your neurotransmitter levels without much risk. However, if you are under 35, you should not use Alpha Brain daily; you shouldn't even use it often. It's a very bad idea to alter the levels of vital neurotransmitters when your levels are absolutely fine.

Now let's move back to L-Dopa... I was mind-blown when I found out that virtually no one knows that it is. L-Dopa is a drug, it is only available via prescription, but Aubrey has found a way around the law. He's not putting L-Dopa into Alpha Brain, he's putting an herb that contains L-Dopa into Alpha Brain. Putting the herb into Alpha Brain is totally fine; but putting L-Dopa into Alpha Brain is very illegal. Right now, you should wikipedia "L-Dopa".

First, you'll notice a list of brand-name drugs; the most popular ones in America were Levodopa and Sinemet. They're prescribed to people suffering from Parkinson's. If you scroll down, you'll notice a long list of side-effects that go along with the use of L-Dopa. Calling L-Dopa a drug is totally different from calling Marijuana a drug because L-Dopa really is a drug. Now, if you scroll up to "Therapeutic use", you can read the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph, which says "L-DOPA is converted into dopamine from within the peripheral nervous system". The next sentence is the important one... In laymen terms:

Although L-Dopa is converted into dopamine inside the brain, it's also converted into dopamine outside of the brain; which causes many side-effects. The prescription drug Sinemet contains L-Dopa, but the other thing the pill contains is carbidopa (which is a DDCI); and it contains carbidopa solely to bypass the adverse side-effects caused by the conversion of dopamine outside of the brain. I may be mistaken, but I can't find carbidopa on the list of ingredients in Alpha Brain, which opens up Alpha Brain users to host of adverse side-effects (and decreases the amount of L-Dopa that is converted inside the brain; thereby decreasing the dose).

My father owned an FDA registered, DEA licensed pharmaceutical company that produced very pure supplements (a Vitamin C at least 2x stronger than 100% pure Vitamin C; the only 99+% pure DHEA supplement in the country, etc); and the company developed a few brand-name products. One of those products worked 100% naturally with the body (stimulating the substantia nigra) to restore dopamine levels. Bottom line is: MANY customers who bought this product had previously used Sinemet and levodopa; and they reported definite side-effects from the use of those products.

More importantly: Many people who used the l-dopa drugs reported that it was basically doing nothing for them when they switched to my father's stuff; that's because if you take L-dopa consistently, it begins to build up in the body, and eventually there's some sort of problem with the brain storing dopamine. If you look on the wikipedia article, this issue is addressed at the end of the "Therapeutic Use" section

IT'S VERY disturbing to me that people don't know that L-Dopa is a drug, that they don't know about how how it's toxic (right now, as outlined on Wikipedia, the mainstream will only admit it's toxic on rats; but my father's company was investigating the toxicity over 13 years ago); that they don't know about the list of adverse side-effects; that they don't know that using L-Dopa on a regular basis can put them in a very bad situation later on in life since the brain develops an inability to store dopamine...

Whoa, I just started looking into L-Dopa on the internet to find more information on the brain's inability to store dopamine (because I didn't really know anything beyond that), and I found a few alarming things:

"L-DOPA, may contribute to mitochondrial toxicity in dopaminergic neurons"
-- http://www.lef.org/protocols/neurolo...disease_01.htm

"When the salamanders were treated with L-dopa, the production of new dopamine-producing neurons was almost completely inhibited and the animals were unable to recover"
-- http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0408075150.htm

I also found that there is NO supplement or herb that is a DDCI (like carbidopa); so when you take Alpha Brain, the L-Dopa WILL be converted into dopamine OUTSIDE of your brain; increasing the list of side-effects.

I'm just going to post this right now, so that it's at least out there, and post the rest as soon as possible."

No idea what to make of it, but it's probably a bad sign when the majority of the people on that forum are even skeptical.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

The Skeptic Tank this week is a 4 hour conversation with a high-end prostitue. :allears:

For whatever reason I really like Ari's podcast more than the JRE at this point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

What are you guys talking about? I would agree with Rogan that 15 minute long-form commercials about a product he doesn't ever seem to want to endorse but was pressured into it by Chris "Aubrey" Marcus is definitely the best way to go about it. Especially the 30 seconds of justifying the length that he has to include.