Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
:psyduck:

I like the Pirate Party, but they're a bit embarrassing, all things told. Better than the countless CDU/CSU posters with Merkel's mug on it, looking vaguely bothered and unsure. She's honestly the least photogenic politician ever, she doesn't even look creepy/evil like American Republicans do, just like she'd rather be anywhere but here.

Perestroika posted:

The CDU seems to be aiming to put up only the blandest, most boilerplate posters ever. The other parties at least manage to display some arguments/positions, but theirs are generally only along the lines of "good thing is good". Though I don't really know what/who the Greens are going for with these:

Speaking of debates, I just happened to catch the Tageschau's Dreikampf debate between Gysi, Trittin and Brüderle. It was fairly short but also quite spirited, with Trittin at one point just straight up calling Brüderle a liar to his face :laugh:

My favourite is this Die Linke one:

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Looks like I won't have to nag my partner to flee to Canada this election cycle!

I'm not pleased with how the seats seem to be working out for now, though. Last I looked, it was 302 for Rot-Rot-Gruen[1] and 296 for the Union. Too narrow a margin and die Linke would never go for it anyway. :sigh:

[1] I don't know how to make umlauts on this loving keyboard

weavernaut fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 22, 2013

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Well, I sort of assumed die Linke would have enough integrity to refuse to ally with the SPD. :v: But yeah, no, even if the SPD stopped being bloody awful for a second, 302 isn't really enough of a majority to reliably pass poo poo, if three votes can make or break a vote.

Blech.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

I dunno, she's getting on in years.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Yeah, Die Linke are so loving radical. :allears:

(I am biased, they're the biggest party that get anywhere close to my actual views.)

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

I see we Godwinned the thread, but putting aside who was and wasn't a pushover in the face of the Nazis and whether or not the AfD is full of Ubermensch who are Correct, what's the situation looking like? Are we getting a Great Coalition or another election or what?

(Frankly, I kind of enjoy the right wing splintering into smaller and smaller groups and cannibalising itself. Now if only the left wing would stop squabbling about the glorious revolution and unite to bring us a minimum wage, higher taxes for the rich and UHC and other such achievable noble goals.)

(Every time a die Linke candidate uses the word Genosse, I tear up a little with pride and joy. :ussr:)

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

It's uncomfortable for me when the SPD use it, since they're inching closer and closer to the centre. Of course, I was born in the former USSR, so my views of where the far left, the moderate left and the centre lie are unaligned with other people's. Regardless, I'm amused and heartened by "Tovarish" living on in Germany.

Good to hear about the income tax raise, but I do hope they don't decide to tax the lower classes while letting millionaires get off scot-free, again. :/

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

CSU stands for Christlich-Soziale Union in Bayern, apparently? Which is total news to me, I assumed the S was for Südliche or something.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Default Settings posted:

Yes, that was sarcasm on my part.

Whoops, sorry. :( I'm bad at reading sarcasm and I also honestly didn't know the full, proper name.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

How religious is Germany, anyway? Is it like Ireland, where nobody actually gives a poo poo but religion is all up in politics or is it actually more like the USA, where people do give a poo poo about whether or not you're Christian?

I've never been asked my religion anywhere, but the place that helps me out with various bureaucratic poo poo (applying for unemployment, disability, etc.) is apparently sponsored by the Catholic Church and the organisation of Protestant churches in Germany and the place I'm going to for various brain problem tests is apparently sponsored by the same people, too.

Help a dumb ex-pat, how annoyed should I be by people insisting Germany is a Christian nation. :v:

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Do I still have to pay that tax if I'm Jewish. This is a serious question.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

As a former retail worker, I'm really thankful for mandatory days off that employers can't wriggle out of, change on me without notice or call me in on that day anyway. I don't mind having to do grocery shopping on Saturday or whatever, that is a tiny price to pay for knowing that there is no way anyone will be working 7+ days in a row.

For serious, have you never worked minimum wage?

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

I worked retail in Ireland, for Lidl and I honestly beg everyone here: if you can afford it, don't shop at Lidl or Aldi, they treat their workers horribly. There's a good reason they're blacklisted by unions in Germany.

That aside, I'm for any law that makes it harder for bosses to screw over workers. Of course, my perspective is that of someone who grew up poor, briefly saw middle class life in adolescence and is once again poor and unable to work. I have no idea what work is like for the middle class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

To be fair to him, the 100 year war lasted more than that, so assuming the 30 year war lasted longer than 30 years isn't that dumb. :v: