Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I used to think germany was pretty cool, but it's probably only berlin. Germany is really sounding like the US of europe. It's the biggest economy but it's full of right wing religious folk with awful blame-the-victim racism and a "that's just extreme left propaganda!" to any social or economic development since the 70's.

Also nuclear power is germany's creationism debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just got back from germany and I didn't quite understand this thread title.

Now I do. Holy poo poo I've never seen a country just shut down on sundays. Is there some strict law that businesses can't operate on sundays or is it just a tradition?

In a small town I can see shops and things being closed on a sunday, but to walk down the biggest shopping streets in berlin and see the area totally dead and not a single thing open... it's very very weird!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Um the cross isn't a religious symbol it's a symbol of European cultural heritage! It's 100% secular! We don't favour any religion! Anyways, now that I've cleared up the whole cross issue and proven I'm 100% secular, I'm off to pass a bunch of spiteful laws against religious minorities.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/witness/2012/04/2012423832530988.html
This is pretty shameful, people born in Germany growing up only speaking German can be deported. I guess their blood isn't pure enough or something? The whole idea of people not being granted citizenship when they are born in a country, let alone born and raised there is mind boggling from an outside perspective. If making them citizens is too scary I don't know, have some landed-immigrant visa thing you get if you're born there.

Also just saw a performance of Schimmelpfennig's Der goldene Drache the other night so you could say I'm on a "gently caress how Germany handles immigrants" kick.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 10, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You're "nationality" is basically where you were born or raised, unless someone thinks there a genetic component or something. So what if their parents or grand parents are from Lebanon or Turkey, "deporting" them there is forced immigration for them to a foreign country. Might as well send them to Bolivia or China, they have only a thin legal connection to the country they're being shipped off to. It feels like a weird idea saying their "blood" is from X country so if we don't like them we'll send them there, to be among their own "blood".

I mean can you imagine, you personally being born and raised in Germany and then suddenly finding out because some ancestor of yours didn't have some arbitrary paperwork in order you're apparently now Ukrainian and are being shipped off the Ukraine to be with your own people because we've declared you a not-german.

Well I guess that doesn't compare because you wouldn't have grown up thinking you were a real german because if you were brown you'd be reminded kindly ever day that you aren't and can never be one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nah just rambling. Everyone in my family are immigrants, my marriage required immigration and visas and poo poo. There's such a family history of these sorts of issues it's a real button-issue thing for me. All I can say is being an immigrant or dealing with visas sucks poo poo and is one of the most stressful and dehumanizing experiences you can go through and any country that thinks its self even remotely civilized or progressive should and could be doing a lot more to support its immigrants better and make the whole process faster and easier. And someone born or raised in a country should never fear being sent off to a foreign land. If they're a criminal or welfare bum don't offload the problem on someone else, they were raised in your society and are a product of your society so take care of it.

But it's easier to just stick them in ghettos as 2nd class citizens then send them off to another country if they aren't "integrating" well enough.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

NwahNerevar posted:

Why can't these people just play EU3 to satisfy their nationalistic hard-ons ugh

As I was reading all about how germany is pretty new and a mostly made-up collection of different cultures and nations that just happen to more or less speak the same-ish language I instantly started thinking about EU3 or V2. Germany just needs to get enough turks to assimilate into german-turkish culture group and get that percentage up high enough for it to become an accepted culture and get rid of the non-accepted culture penalty. Also changing its citizenship view from "residency" or "limited citizenship" to "full citizenship".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

German gays, you have enough rights! Why do you want more? You want as much as a normal?? Uhg

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I listened to a thing on Radio Prague about all the germans the czechs expelled after the war. Some real bad poo poo went down, just mobs of villagers beating and killing anyone they suspected of being german and taking all their stuff. Was all mostly swept under the rug and what wasn't generated little sympathy because gently caress germans for WWII. Apparently it's still a bit of a controversial issue to express even the smallest amount of sympathy towards any potentially innocent germans effected by this though, because there's no such thing as an innocent german.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish I could read this thread for info and insights into german politics and events without speaking the native language(s).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's interesting that when trucks and cars kill thousands the government mostly shrugs and says it's the cost of doing business, maybe tosses some money at safety improvements if an area is really bad, or just blames the victims and often calls for greater fines or punishments for dangerous drivers is seen as some dangerous "war on cars" and an attack on our freedom of movement or needs of the economy. But when someone is killed by a truck due to malice rather than dangerous infrastructure and transport policies everyone suddenly takes it incredibly seriously and things must be done, cost and civil liberties be damned.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If someone can come up with a foolproof system that doesn't send innocent people to the gulag or solitary or gas chamber or where ever "terrorists" are supposed to go I'd love to hear it. It's going to have to be something better than "he's muslimy and our lovely security / intelligence agency think he has "links" to terrorists."

Basic freedoms and legal due process are actually worth dying for. I'd rather a dozen people die from terrorism every year than millions suffering under a police state. And it's usually not even an either or trade off, the deaths will still happen because sweeping perversions of justice in the name of security rarely actually make anyone more safe. Security theatre and "tough on crime" measures are there to make scared voters feel secure, but mostly for government to use those new powers to go after people and groups they don't like.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mithaldu posted:

Don't engage with him, his posts create nothing but an unfunny morass of lies.

I didn't see the user name!! My bad. Probably deserve some time in solitary for that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A limited nuclear war would actually probably "fix" climate change :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm surprised the dutch aren't working full out building some huge national sea wall.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If only germany had bought a little more russian gas this could have been avoided :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Perhaps germany can assist Ukraine in rebuilding their airports, I hear they're experts at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nawilo_420 posted:

the forums are finding out about germany...

lol get a load of this guy