Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrewkroDleman
May 17, 2008

SHAME.
I am currently in a student in a Master program in Münster and have also lived in Hamburg as well as Berlin. I have been in Germany for well over a year and a half and I absolutely love it here. Hamburg was great (but expensive), Berlin was a party and a half (but dirty and no where near enough jobs), while Münster is nicely in between.

I have to agree that I see far more shelves not stocked (including rotting fruit/vegetables) in Rewe than I ever would in the States (or even England). I have had little problem so far with internet or telephone, although I have noticed recently that my internet has slowed down significantly but we have Alice so I am not sure how that relates. (I have not tracked down the problem as the same time my connection with my router gets hosed)

To be honest, there are better places to live than in Germany and there are even places within Germany that is better to live in than others. However, I like Germany far more than the States and I have no plans to ever return to the States (I just maybe will not stay in Germany).

You can ask me what it is like to be a student in Germany compared to the States (At least in the state of North Rhein Westfalia) and I will pretty much answer every question the same: it is infinitely better here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrewkroDleman
May 17, 2008

SHAME.

hankor posted:

Crossing the street while the light is red without endangering others? Fine.
Crossing the street while the light is red not giving a poo poo if you'll cause a 17 car pileup? Fine if you are in a hurry.
Crossing the street while the light is red and setting a bad example that might endanger children? gently caress you!

Haha, this is so goddamn true with the older Germans.

I loving hate older Germans. They complain all the time over the littlest detail and will not stop until you walk off or shamefully bow to their demands.

DrewkroDleman
May 17, 2008

SHAME.
Sorry for being a bit late with this reply.

Condiv posted:

How difficult is it to enter a german masters program from abroad? I'm a CS major with a decent (3.3) University GPA and a lackluster cumulative gpa (2.8). I'm going to germany for a semester as a transfer student this spring, and I'm going to minor in german.

Will it be really difficult to be accepted to a university such as Paderborn?

I was pretty much exactly in the same boat as you when I was applying around but instead of CS I am IS. I got accepted to 50% of the Universities I officially applied for. The trick is finding Universities where the entire Masters program is in English (unless your German is good enough). That right there knocks out a very large portion of Universities, however, you should not have much of a problem getting into most Universities. I am not sure about Paderborn specifically but I got into my dream University (Münster) without too much trouble.

EDIT: My class that started in the Summer semester is about 60% German and the rest foreign nationals. Also, I completely forgot that the Winter Semester (which has officially begun today) and next Summer semester will have a huge influx of new applicants as some laws have changed. Such as the compulsory entrance into the Bundeswehr for every graduating high school male as well as I have heard that high school ends a year earlier now or something. So you will have higher competition from Germans but that should even out come next winter semester.

Previously on GBS posted:

In which ways is it better? And which university did you attend in the US?

I did not go to a prestigious University but we did have one of the better Business schools in the country (Top 100 or something) and our sister school has gone to March Madness every few years (losing every time in the first round except one year). Also, the major city I was near was really nothing special. Maybe it is all rose-tinted glasses here?

They really just treat students very well here. First and foremost is the cost of going to school. My first semester was just under 500€ for the semester. This includes what is called a "Semester Ticket" which allows me free admission to all public transportation and trains within the great state of North Rhein Westfalia. This semester they dropped the "Studienbeitrag" (Tuition fees) and now the cost for a semester is only 207€. Basically, the cost of the entire Masters program in Germany is less than one semester in the States (depending on where you go and if you get a scholarship or something).

It is also fairly cheap to get health insurance coverage here as a student since you can buy into the "public option" for about 70€ a month. Beyond that, any non-necessary doctors or dentist visit is 10€ (If the dentist does not require any work then you don't even have to pay the 10€)

Münster also has multiple University-Style cafeterias littered across the city that are even open to the public (but the food is cheaper if you are a student).

Also, studying in Germany is better because its an education that is just as good (actually even better because it has actually gotten me to study and has challenged me as a student than in the States) while in English and in a foreign country. It looks far more exceptional on your resume than a majority of Universities in the States.

hankor posted:

I was being serious. :colbert:

I'll also call you out if you use your loving mobile as a tinny ghettoblaster on the public transport, I might even call you a rude oval office for it.

gently caress THOSE GODDAMN KIDS! :argh:

DrewkroDleman fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 3, 2011