Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Trench_Rat posted:

will Germany become Russias "bitch" when the gas pipe from Vyborg is finished?

Germany is already Russias bitch. gently caress ex-chancellor Schröder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Yeah, Die Linke is still pretty SED infested. gently caress those guys.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Pand posted:

Oh there absolutly is. During the last election i had been to their forums and sure enough they had a whole subforum about 'Männerrechte'.

I'm not surprised. It's a nerd party after all.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

skipThings posted:

The "Linke" is nothing more than the new Social-democrat party, only difference is that the wackjobs get more screen time in the mainstream media

also the Pirate party is full of libertarians and chauvinistic nerds, at least here in Hesse.

The green party is now mostly a conservative party that likes to sperate their trash. Everything is hopeless on the fedral level and party interest is always above the interest of some few good politicians in all parties.

You are so far left nobody needs to take your opinions seriously.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

The Flour Moth posted:

Did the Overton window shift to the left so the green party is now centrist, or did the party shift to the right?

It's a little bit of both.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

dreamin' posted:

As a comp sci graduate of recent years here in Germany, the people that graduated with me are now spread all over Germany with their jobs, and half of those that I still am in contact with are sadly big fans of the pirate party and can't stop talking about how productive their meetings were and how they are the only party that will prevent us from female domination in the future (because they are enlightened and post-gender). They are unironically talking about being "gender-blind" in a way Colbert's persona claims to be "color-blind". I've been to a couple of local meetings and the only women there were desperate "just one of the boys" types and it was all very sad

That's horrible.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
If you are able to find a job, I would recommend to move to Germany. I really don't know how useful an MBA is though. Many companies also expect you to speak good German so you might have to learn German before looking for a job.

Edit:
I'm stupid and can't read. But you still need to speak good German to communicate with business partners and the government. There is also quite a bit of bureaucracy to do.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 29, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Orange Devil, you don't know what you are talking about. DT doesn't have anything to do with it. It's still a pretty lovely practice and I hope it will be outlawed soon.

http://abmahnwahn-dreipage.de/

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Orange Devil posted:

Also Telekom, although apparently not necessarely related.

Yeah, it's not related but Telekom is a really lovely company. As is Deutsche Bahn. Privatizing them was not a good idea.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

hankor posted:

To be honest I really haven't encountered it much lately, it was pretty bad a couple of years ago but with growing public awareness and a BVG-campaign it has stopped with the possible exception of alcohol laden subway rides in the middle of the night.

I've never seen it in a bar but I guess it takes a rather special kind of rear end in a top hat to even consider it.

Many phones now have standard headphone jacks and not some proprietary poo poo.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Das Butterbrot posted:

Frohen Tag der Deutschen Einheit, liebe Nachbarn :)

Thanks, but I don't think anyone in Germany is celebrating this day.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Germany didn't bother with integrating the Turks. It's mostly our fault. And now it's too late.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Rösler about politics and power:
"Es ist so wie bei Tolkiens Saga 'Herr der Ringe'. Alle wollen Macht erlangen, sie wollen den Ring besitzen. Aber je länger sie den Ring besitzen, desto mehr verlieren sie von ihrer Persönlichkeit. Und irgendwann sind sie dann wie dieser Gollum."

"It's like in Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings'. Everyone wants to have power, everyone wants to have the Ring. But the longer they possess the Ring the more they lose their personality. And finally they are like this Gollum."

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, of course it is a good analogy. That's what Tolkien wanted it to be. Recognizing that is not exactly a great mental effort.

I just can't take this guy seriously. He is even worse than Westerwelle. And that guy is already a clown.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 4, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

dreamin' posted:

Germany's conservative political leadership managed to create most of our current problems because they were putting ideology before reality for 30 years. Then they try to rewrite history and blame "leftist multi cultural politics" which were never allowed to exist in Germany outside of a few communal govermnents organizing some "intercultural block parties" and free language courses at some community centers.

It's exactly that. They are at fault and they still try blaming the SPD and Grüne. gently caress them.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
This discussion is very important, but why are you all so hostile?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
I wouldn't ever vote for the CDU/CSU. Give Die Linke one more decade and a few less ex-SED members and I'd consider voting for them.

I'm currently voting mostly for the green party by the way. In some peoples' eyes this probably makes me a burgeoisie reactionary.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
The Union SHOULD BE watched by the Verfassungsschutz. Yes, I'm saying it.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
I have relatives in Brandenburg and not one of them would want to return to the GDR days. They are just disappointed that their lives haven't improved as much as promised to them.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_Einkommensteuer

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
A ton of German banks gave money to Greece. They should all pay for the risks they took.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
If neonazis in Germany commit a hate crime it's not a hate crime.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, this confuses me too. The bit about V-Männer basically being government-funded Neo-Nazis sounds pretty bad, but from what I've read I had the impression a sizable part of them actually were government spies and since there were so many of them in the NPD it couldn't be banned.

It doesn't just sound bad, it is actually that bad. The number of V-Männer shouldn't have prevented the abolition of the NPD. But the right wing extremists can always count on the support of their friends in the judicial branch.

A very good episode of Spaß 5 on this topic:
http://medien.wdr.de/m/1321546735/radio/spass5/wdr5_spass5_20111117_2330.mp3

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 20, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
There is a reason why this phrase exists:
'auf dem rechten Auge blind' - 'blind in the right eye'

I'm exaggerating a bit, but basically every crime by leftwing extremists is seen as politically motivated and every crime by rightwing extremists is seen as not politically motivated. Oftentimes violence against foreigners and immigrants is blamed on other immigrants. Rightwing criminals are always lone nuts and not organized. Downplaying everything is common. And so on and so on.

Edit:
Just one exmple of the many you can find: A court allows a neonazi demonstration in Bad Nenndorf and bans the counterdemonstration organized by the German Federation of Trade Unions (DGB).

quote:

Urteil zu Neonazi-Aufmarsch empört Antifa-Aktivisten
Neonazis dürfen marschieren, die Gegendemo wird verboten: Das Urteil der Verwaltungsrichter in Hannover sorgt bundesweit für Empörung. Gewerkschafter und der Landkreis klagen jetzt vor der nächsthöheren Instanz - und die rechtsextreme Szene verspottet ihre Gegner.

Antifa-activists up in arms against court decision on neonazi demonstration
Neonazis are allowed to demonstrate, a counterdemonstration is forbidden: The decision of an administrative law judge in Hannover is causing a nationwide uproar. Unionists and the Bad Nenndorf county administration are appealing against the decision - and the rightwing extremist scene is mocking their opponents.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/0,1518,711734,00.html

The counterdemonstration was allowed by a higher instance at the last moment, but just because the political pressure was so high.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 20, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Former defense minister dodges prosecution with charitable donation
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15550956,00.html

gently caress Guttenberg and gently caress the public prosecutor's office. And gently caress politicians and nobles always getting off easy. :argh:

One more example why the Union (CDU/CSU) is full of scum.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Stuhlmajor posted:

If you're gonna condemn both zu Guttenberg and the public prosecutor's office so broadly, you might want to elaborate a little. Do you find the verdict to be unjust, do you understand the prosecutor's office to be biased towards zu Guttenberg, why do you feel that, in our lord's year 2011, them drat nobles still be gettin' off easy, etc.

Of course they are biased and the verdict is unjust. They are probably all in the same party. This is Bavaria after all. And 20000€ is small change for a rich bastard like him. And being a noble also helps a ton. People still admire them and think they are morally superior to the common people.

Edit:
I just want to remind people: The public prosecutor's office was very hesitant to even start investigations. Without public pressure they wouldn't have acted at all. And his university tried to protect him for too long, too. The university of Bayreuth has been a joke in the Geman academic world since then.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 24, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

ZeitGeits posted:

Wasn't it the university of Bayreuth that for the longest time had the reputation that students could buy their doctorate there? (or maybe it was Passau)

There were rumors about Bayreuth, yes. But after Guttenberg it's on a totally different level now.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
It's separate issues:

1) More equal than others refers to his party membership and political office, which have both helped him massively. (See: the unconditional and uncritical support of chancellor Merkel, the support by Union sympathizing media)

2) Being noble helped and still helps him to keep his positive public image. He is morally and genetically superior after all. (See: Despite being lying, criminal scum without doubt, he was still the most popular German politician 10 days after his resignation from his political offices.)

3) He was a politician with a political office and used his title in this position, of course he should punished more harshly for that. (See: The proportion of 'academics' in the German political class is pretty high, and thus being a 'Dr.' is quite a helpful factor for determining political success. You could call it a must have.)

4) Having to pay only 20,000 € is highly unjust, too. The amount you have to pay is usually adjusted according to your wealth and what you earn. I don't think this is the case here.

It's disgusting, especially because he is likely to be one of our future chancellors. And you are right, embezzlement of tax money should be focused on more. But people don't care about this, they'll still vote for crooks, scammers and liars like him.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 24, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Perjury is a crime. Usually you have to vow that your thesis is your own work and usually Guttenberg would have committed not only a copyright violation but also perjury. But not at this university. You don't need to make an oath there. Nope.

Edit:
Perjury is at least one year of prison!

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 24, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

hankor posted:

It doesn't apply here, you could make a very creative case of false declarations on oath which isn't a crime.

Wikipedia 'Dissertation' posted:

Die Dissertationsschrift muss oft eine eidesstattliche Erklärung darüber enthalten, dass sie auf selbständiger Arbeit beruht.[4] Es ist dennoch vorgekommen, dass die Leistung gegen Erbringung eines Honorars ganz oder teilweise von einem „Ghostwriter“ erbracht wurde. Neben dem Zurückweisen der Arbeit oder dem nachträglichen Aberkennen der Doktorwürde sind bei Bekanntwerden solchen Vorgehens auch zivil- oder strafrechtliche Konsequenzen möglich.

Wikipedia 'Versicherung an Eides statt' posted:

Die Versicherung an Eides statt oder eidesstattliche Versicherung (kurz „E.V.“ oder „EV“) ist im deutschen Recht eine besondere Beteuerung, mit der derjenige, der diese Versicherung abgibt, bekräftigt, dass eine bestimmte Erklärung der Wahrheit entspricht. Besondere Rechtsbedeutung erlangt die Versicherung an Eides statt dadurch, dass nach § 156 Strafgesetzbuch (StGB) die Abgabe einer unwahren eidesstattlichen Versicherung eine Straftat darstellt. Gibt jemand also eine eidesstattliche Versicherung ab und lügt dabei, macht er sich strafbar.

This is not the case in Bayreuth, but you pretty often have to sign an affidavit in most other universities. Why is this not the case in Bayreuth? Protection of their customers of course.

Edit: An example from the university of Magdeburg http://diglib.uni-magdeburg.de/abgabe/Formbl.htm

quote:

Ich erkläre hiermit an :siren:Eides Statt:siren:, dass die in der Universitätsbibliothek abgegebene digitale Dissertation/Habilitation mit dem vom Promotionsausschuss/von der Habilitationskommission genehmigten Prüfungsexemplar übereinstimmt und formal den Bestimmungen der Promotions- /Habilitationsordnung entspricht.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 24, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Ah, ok. I see. gently caress Guttenberg and gently caress the university of Bayreuth nonetheless.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Fallen German conservative star ready for comeback
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/24/germany-conservatives-guttenberg-idUSL5E7MO26620111124

quote:

A call-in poll by all-news network N-TV said 71 percent would welcome a Guttenberg to return to German politics.

Every country has the government it deserves.
- Joseph Marie de Maistre

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, alright. n-tv is not exactly the biggest TV station in Germany. I'm sure there will be more polls in the next couple days. We'll see.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Someone who lies so easily and for such vain reasons cannot be trusted

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
One of the highlights of this legislative period is how the FDP got utterly destroyed by their own actions. I really hope they don't recover from their loss of popularity and won't get into the Bundestag in 2013.

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm not sure Doctor Gerhard Schröder agrees.

gently caress Putin's BFF Schröder. The whole Gazprom afair was/is so horribly corrupt I want to punch him.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 25, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

goethe42 posted:

He lied, but so what, that's part of the job and he didn't do it in office or about anything Otto Normalbuerger would give a poo poo about.

What the gently caress is wrong with you? You are ok with liars being in power. gently caress you.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Guess why so many people are disappointed with Die Grünen. Fischer's behaviour wasn't exactly helping.

There was some coverage about Schröder's new position with Gazprom in the media, but not very much.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 25, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

:pwn: A 155 page discussion about a new toilet. Magical.

155 posts. It's still a pretty strange discussion.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Thank you, Grendels Dad. Exactly what I wanted to post.

Someone who lies so easily and unecessarily (the Dr. title is pure luxury and prestige) is very likely to lie again in the future. And then it will be about things that could influence tens of millions of citizens negatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
He has a lovely character and no morals. That should be obvious right? I'm voting green, but I don't think that the Union is the evil or something. Guttenberg is still scum and I would love to see him thrown out of the CSU. Seehofer already isn't pleased with his current behaviour.

And plagiarism in the academic world IS NOT equal to a parking ticket. You basically have to be a lovely person to do such a thing. And I don't want lovely persons to be in power.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 27, 2011