Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

karmaconfetti posted:

Edit: And what's the deal with Denmark closing off their border with Germany?

They violate Schengen in fear of criminals from south-eastern Europe. The fastest - which is the only route by land - way for those to get to Denmark is through Germany. It doesn't have anything to do with Germany per se.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Plankalkuel posted:

In Germany you study "Lehramt" which is basically a "Masters light". Teachers study two fields, so they can teach multiple courses, but not as extensively as a normal Masters student, the reason being probably that they don't teach all that to children anyway. The "Lehramt" degree is usually seen as a 2nd class Masters and teachers in general are not that well respected and viewed as lazy.
As far as I know in Finland you need a regular university degree, to become a teacher and a good one at that. However the profession is much more respected in society and paid very well.
No wonder, the Finnish system gets better results...

How do you reconcile your opinion with German Gymnasium students being the best worldwide according to PISA? And with German Gymnasium teachers of sciences also being among the best worldwide? What makes you think German teachers are not respected? Because their students don't like them?

StrangeRobot posted:

Well, more than 50% of all students do attend the Gymnasium already right now so it's not like it's some kind of elite track for the best of the best.

Well, out of all people attending grades 5 to 13, a little less than 50% attend Gymnasium, but if you want to talk about the percentage of a class of any year attending Gymnasium, which your entire argument relies upon, then it is, as one would expect, around 33%. Also, like I said above, the most recent PISA indicates that German Gymnasium students are the elite of the world. I think that is a good thing and also indicates that the selection process is mostly okay.

Also, forums poster DeusEx, since you are implying you are above being the Ron Paul type (which, really has nothing to do with the Pirate party), how does it feel to mock Germans for pointing out human rights violations, something, I am sure, not even the stupid stupid young male naive whites you speak of (and belong to) would utter?

KingaSlipek fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 2, 2011

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Plankalkuel posted:

Most of what you quoted wasn't my opinion, but simple statements about facts or about what in my experience the general outlook is on things. Personally I don't consider teachers lazy in general, no matter where or what they teach.

Is that a comparison of the best Finnish students with the best German students? Otherwise it's hardly a surprise, that the Gymnasium is better. I bet the other countries would get better results too, if the could throw all the not so great students out of the statistic. If looked at as a whole, Germany is still not in the top 10, and thats the 2009 study, where Germany had actually improved. For a system that was supposed to be naturally superior. it sure produced lovely results when people actually bothered to put it to the test.

Besides a system, that only benefits a few on the top (not even the best in ability as much as in social rank as PISA shows) and discards the rest is amoral in my opinion.

You were talking about Finnish teachers, those that require a "true" master's degree and such. The point of the comparison between German Gymnasium students and Finnish students in general is, not only are these students the best, they also probably have the best education available to them (in some fields). We do have better teachers than Finland when adjusting for university education. My point of contention is "No wonder, the Finnish system gets better results".

And what do you mean by "naturally superior"? And what is "lovely" about having the best general school variant in the world? And we still rank pretty well, all things considered (and not just Scandinavia and Korea).And, again, if the selection process in grade 4 were faulty, then why is the Gymnasium so successful? Explain this to me, angry German!

dreamin' posted:

It is one of the main talking points for all the people that want to bury their heads in the sand. "If only we dismiss the results of all the people not going to Gymnasium we are at the top of the world". It's true that the Gymnasium leads to good results (students don't test better than the top students elsewhere though), but the lower schools lead to much worse results. So we are buying good results for roughly 25% of the students at the expense of the 75% who are not allowed to take part. Now if the proponents of our seperated school system would have a plan on how to actually fix this for those 75%, but nothing has been happening for the last 20 years but frantic defenses of their precious seperated Gymnasium.

You people are arguing that when we select in fourth grade, we do not really consider skills but instead social background. The latter may be true, but the PISA shows that the selection per skill is working well. Since PISA mostly checks for abilities learned before fifth grade, there is no need in changing the system after the fourth grade but while still in elementary school or kindergarten.
Besides, more and more people are attending Gymnasium (in percentages), and your percentage figure is, of course, wrong. A third of fourth graders get to go to the Gymnasium, and since the Gymnasium features 8-9 years of education, a little less than half of all German students at any time are Gymnasium students. But who cares about facts, right?

KingaSlipek fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 2, 2011

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Plankalkuel posted:

You didn't answer my question. Is that a comparison between the best Finnish and the best German students, or between all Finnish students and the best German students. In the later case that wouldn't really surprise me. How about some sources for that?

I don't think, that the Finnish system has a better overall score then Germany, because their teachers have "real" Masters. A Finnish goon explained it that way, that because teachers have to earn a regular degree and in addition study teaching, it's actually harder to become a teacher in, say, maths then earning simply a master. However the pay is really good and teaching is a well recognized profession. Thereby you end up with people who are qualified and motivated to teach. Thats what I meant.

"naturally superior" was an ironic stab, aimed at the fact, that our school system is touted as the best thing ever by virtue of it's design, when in reality it doesn't even make the top ten.

Are you saying, the selection process is working well then? Why is there still such a strong correlation between education of the parents and education of the children? Is stupidity suddenly inheritable?

It is the latter case, and I found it surprising. Sure, on average, German students fare far worse than Finnish students, but I maintain that the German school system, if your premise is the early child-education as it is, is working extremely well. The problems that arise are all due to the nature of the education of the young child before he attends fifth grade.

I am saying that the selection with regards to skill is working surprisingly well (but not perfectly), but that selection with regards to social standing is not acceptable, of course.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Plankalkuel posted:

Sources? And what are you on about with the bold part? How are the years of integrated school loving the children up worse, then the segregated rest?

There are no two selection processes at work here! There is only one, and that's supposed to be about skill and potential. Since it clearly isn't for a large part, it's broken!

Why are you asking for sources now, when, according to you, it wouldn't surprise you? Everyone here is implicitly referring to the most recent source, namely the most recent PISA. Just read that more thoroughly and you see that Gymnasium students outperform the average Finnish and Korean student. It's not a big conspiracy secret, promise!

I have done the PISA actually, and as far as I remember, and I am sure one can check for them, it is being assessed how students go about solving problems effectively, do at comprehensive reading, and perform mathematical tasks that have practical relevance. The test is in parts a bit of an IQ test, and I don't think that anything after fourth grade is crucial in bringing about these skills in students. What happens is that those are strengthened or weakened, but the PISA doesn't really test for that.

Yes, there is one selection process, and that should be about skill and that works, but as you, not I, claim that process is also about social standing. And it clearly is working (although not perfectly, but no one claims that that's possible) most of the time, because, for the hundredth time, the top third of a German class constitute the top of the world. It's amazing and puzzling to me how this can't get into your head.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

niethan posted:

Well if you have the top third "smartest" german kids going against all finnish kids, cause the finns aren't segregated at school, then it's not really fair is it?

Mind the context. And that is the selection process and the question whether it works. Of course, the top third of Finnish and Korean students probably outperform Gymnasium students, though I can't be sure.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Plankalkuel posted:

Well I asked you, if the German Gymnasium students were significantly better, then the equivalent ratio of Finnish students. It may be a misunderstanding, but I thought, that you said that was the case. For that I would like sources. I don't need sources, to know, that the top tier of a segregated school system performs better, then the average of a integrated system.

I have no problem getting that in my head. Germany is still under performing in areas like social mobility and there is still a strong correlation between the education of the parents and the education of their children in comparison to other countries. The reason for that is, that the selection process doesn't work as advertised. Otherwise you would see the similar social mobility figures as in other countries.
The justification for the existence of the process is, that everybody gets the best education for his academic capabilities. If that would be the case, Germany should be a paragon of social mobility, or better educational mobility. Since Germany is far from that, the process is deeply flawed. How unjust and mean is it, to deny a child a better and more fulfilling career because of it's social background? Nobody thinks about that, when they are so very sorry for the smart kids from rich and educated families, who would have to deal with not so great children.
So frankly I don't give poo poo if our best 30% are in average better then the mean of 100% from another country. Show me that our top 30% are better, then their top 30%, that would actually be meaningful. Otherwise it's not even "gently caress you, got mine!", but just bad statistics.

Edit: So I see, it's bad statistics indeed :eng99:

You have not read any PISA document. If you had, you would stop spouting the "segregated school" nonsense. Our school system promises that those that attend Gymnasium are really the best we have to offer and that the lowest tier attends Hauptschule This is largely true, as evidenced by PISA. This is my entire point right there, and easy to check if you actually cared to read what PISA found out. I haven't stated anything beyond that that is in any opposition to what you have written. You are confusing this issue by strawmanning. You are saying that because some people, though qualified, don't get to go to a Gymnasium, the entire system is flawed. It is not perfect, nothing is. And, more importantly, no one claims it is. And there are many naturalized Germans, immigrant Germans and just plain Germans being treated unfairly. Of course that needs to be changed, but you are turning this into an issue of racism and class so as if the entire education system is built around "keeping it German". Just look at the DeusEx moron. You are caught up in assumptions about people not readily admitting that the system needs to undergo change. The only conclusion to draw is that our system is not inherently flawed, especially when it is up to teachers/parents to decide where their children go to school.

Also: Really, really stop using commas like you would when talking in German. I am not trying to be mean to you, but it really disturbs the flow when reading your otherwise well-written posts.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Einbauschrank posted:

I think this varies greatly depending on subject. Teachers of mathematics really really own around here. English teachers not so much.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

DeusEx posted:

Also how can a system where many people are treated unfairly be "not inherently flawed"?

The system illustrates the shortcomings of the years before, namely elemntary school and kindergarten education. That system is inherently flawed but separate from the school system that follows. In other words, I lay blame on something else. You won't improve general education without reforming early child education.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

DeusEx posted:

So what would you propose for primary school, so that the following segregation wouldn't fall so conveniently in line with race/class divisions?

Uhh, we are in Germany. Everyone is racist, so there is no way out of that.

I don't delude myself into thinking that you are asking this out of real curiosity, (after all, I am a forums poster) but to put me in a corner because I don't subscribe to your left-wing hysteria.

It doesn't really matter what I would propose, as it is irrelevant to the discussion, but if you must know: Rule out any traces of "racism" by handing out the grades without their attached names to teachers not involved with that child and then let those teachers decide on the child's future education. This is still not a fool-proof solution, in fact it isn't helping a whole lot, but it removes a large chunk of unfairness in the selection process. Likewise, we could let a computer decide. And then only hand out recommendations for the absolute best and absolute worst, and generally let the parents be the ultimate decision makers, without pressure being applied to them.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009
There is no Rostocker Rundschau =-(

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

It would make for a nice alliteration title, though. And the Osteseezeitung or the Norddeutsche Neuste Nachrichten are not exactly known for their indepth reporting on international issues, either.

That's what I get for making an offhand joke.!

(Are you from there or what? Besides, NNN is already the perfect alliteration)

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

botany posted:

Raab was the what now? Are we talking about the guy who three loving times tried to convince Steinbrück to go for a great coalition? The guy who's first question was, "Frau Merkel, aren't you really a bit too leftist for your own party?" Because that's the guy I saw and I wanted very badly to slap him through the TV.

I think Raab was alluding to the negligible difference between CDU and SPD and not necessarily saying she was leftist (as if the SPD were a left-wing party..).

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Spin And Speed posted:

Not giving an answer is an answer in itself.
Linke (e: the political party) remain Putinversteher, glad I didn't vote for them.

Super, freut mich, dass du so eine gute Wahlentscheidung getroffen hast :)

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Spin And Speed posted:

First post in this thread for 8 years? I feel honoured :)

But can it be that we both just woke up a bit cranky today?

Was ist denn passiert, dass du cranky aufwachtest?

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009
SAS hat Bernhardt letzte Nacht in Wismar weggemacht und heute morgen gemerkt, dass des Präserv riss

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

The entire expat community of this thread has tried to figure out wtf you mean with no avail. Explain yourself

Bin auf deinen Kommentar eingegangen, sein Gemächt wäre abgenutzt worden und tja, vielleicht war ja die böse Putinversteherin Bernhardt schuld, warum sollte SAS sonst so einen Quark posten? :)

Interessant ist übrigens, dass Bernhardt und Gysi beide fast Wort für Wort identisch argumentieren bei der Unrechtsfrage. Ist schon peinlich, ändert aber nichts daran, dass die Linke eher in der Regierung sein sollte als die FDP.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009
Beide Stränge von Nord Stream 1 wurden zerstört, aber nur einer von NS 2. Soweit ich weiß bedeutet das, NS1 ist nicht mehr verwendbar, NS2 aber schon. Cui bono? Ich frag ja nur!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

It's funny how the greens abandoning all their principles and completely selling out when in coalition could possibly be seen in a positive light by their apparent supporters. There seems to be a serious contagion of what I'm dubbing politics autism in this country

Bist salzig wegen der Ukraine?