Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DeusEx posted:

The Balkans are bit tricky indeed. Generally the Balkans are referred to as south-eastern Europe, which already has bit of a more negative connotation than just eastern Europe. South-Eastern Europe often evokes association of "Gypsies", though of course no one would openly admit to it.

It's mixed though: Croatia for example is regarded as a "good" country, because it's a popular tourist place, and they have been traditional allies in the not so good'ol times of WW2 (it's funny how in the public subconscious old allies from those times retain a "reputation bonus", even though many people don't know that these countries were friends with Germany "back then" anymore).

On the other hand the average German would probably feel safer in Baghdad or Kabul than in the Albanian capital of Tirana. Being from Albania is probably worse than being from anywhere in the middle east.

Serbia is kind of in the middle. It does have the negative reputation from the Milosovic days, though one would assume that a country with a history like Germany would be less judgmental about war crimes, it annoyingly really isn't. We like to point out how other countries "don't face their history, like we have done", and people really, honestly think that Germany is a shining beacon of human rights now, that is not only allowed, but morally obligated to to "friendly remind" other nations of their present or even past human rights violations, because we have "learned from history" or such drivel.

I think people from the Balkans have a much worse reputation in Austria (where they're actually a sizable minority) than in Germany. The only time I noticed a significant negative sentiment was we accepted refugees from Kosovo and then they started stabbing people.

You're right about the German smugness when it comes to nations that haven't confronted their war crimes.

Concerning the German school system: I grew up in one of the conservative (aka good education score) states and trust me, the only injustice that happens is too many dumb kids getting Gymnasium recommendations. Some people just aren't meant for academic work and unlike in the States, where every gardener boasts some pointless college degree, doing an apprenticeship instead isn't a social stigma here. That said, I can't wait to move to Edinburgh for my masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

elwood posted:

I went to Realschule even though I was strongly advised to go to a Gymnasium. All my friends went to the Realschule and my parents didn't mind me joining them. I changed after 10th grade and it wasn't really a problem. The only thing that I'm missing is a Latinum, but who really cares about that.

Oh, I thought fascist society shunned you after it determined your future social class in 4th grade. Guess those meddling LF posters tricked me again.

Getting an Abitur isn't a major hurdle unless you're extremely lethargic or simply not very smart. The Abitur is officially the certificate that says you're educated enough to attend university. Since university education is virtually free over here, I think it's in society's best interest not to let super lethargic or dumb people participate.

The real problem with Germany's education system is the idiotic refusal to make "Ganztagsschulen" the standard. That's far more harmful to children of poorer or single parents than the 3-tiered System.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

StrangeRobot posted:

There is pretty much indication that the tracking system is horribly ineffective (see: reality) but I guess we could argue about that ad infinitum. Instead why don't you tell us what you think would be effective reforms and how those would establish the fabled equality of opportunity.

Also I think this is relevant to the discussion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUiAu8Dozgc&feature=related
(for non-Germans: It's a short snippet about the Hamburg school-reform vote, the anti-reform initiative, spoken about earlier here, it's from a renowned ARD programme that routinely reports about scandalous stuff going on in the country.)

I dare you to watch that and then continue to seriously claim that defending the three tiered system is anything but classism.

My personal favourites from that snippet:

-Middle/Upper class man in brown coat: "A working class child playing in the afternoon with the child of a chairman of the board and somehow benefitting from that, now that may work in rare cases, but in general I believe it doesn't!"

-Famous German actor speaking at a rally in support of the initiative: "And I, ladies and gentlemen, deny those politicians the right to decide about MY children!" (applause)

-Narration: "The speakers of the initiative are lawyers, financiers are hamburg businessmen, supporters are dukes and other nobles." Cue initiative head speaker (a lawyer) saying: "In no way are we an elitist initiative, quite the contrary: Our people are parents, grandparents, teachers, headmasters, really people from all walks of life!"

-Upper class female activist, wearing an expensive fur coat: "Since the 80ies there has been the breeding(she actually uses the word that means breeding animals) of an academic proletariat(commoners getting university degress, the horror!) that is simply unfit for scientific and higher acadameic careers!(unfit meaning they probably harbour leftist thoughts)"

-the initiative hiring "promoters" and paying them 1€ per acquired signature

-the initiative denouncing some ridiculously harmless pro-reform group for using the superman logo on their owl-mascot, leading to a charge of 150000 loving Euros. Initiative speaker's comment as told by narration: "It's a completely normal process to inform the law of such copyright violations!"

-the initiative sending five officials of the school authority CV like letters with their past outlined in surprising detail (meaning: "We know everything about you!", this is completely unheard of mafia-like poo poo)

Sounds like a well balanced piece, clearly relevant to the discussion.

Entitled rich kids usually went to private schools where I'm from. I held a workshop at an inner-city Gymnasium in Frankfurt as part of an internship and more than half of the students had a foreign background, so watching Gymnasium students portrayed as the offspring of lawyers, managers and the nobility was quite funny.

There's a large discrepancy in how well Germany's school system performs depending on which state you're testing. I seriously hope you and the other QQing posters grew up in notoriously bad states such as Hamburg, Bremen or NRW. Otherwise I have to question whether you're genuinely outraged or just bitching about poo poo for ideological reasons.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DeusEx posted:

I wonder if the proponents of the ranked school system would still be in favor of it, if one would abandon the recommendations at the end of primary school, and would segregate strictly on a standardized test (something like the SAT in the US for college admissions).

The Bildungsbürger tears would be delicious, if their spawn wouldn't be allowed into the Gymnasium because their score turned out to be not good enough.

I imagine the conversation between the teachers and entiteld parents: "Well, unfortunately Karl-Hubertus only qualified for the Hauptschule. Yes I know that he comes from a family of Medical Doctors, but if he does well in the Hauptschule, he may have a promising career as a plumber. We need good plumbers, don't you agree? Have a good day"

For every Karl-Hubertus that happens to, there will be 5 children stuck in Realschule with no chance of switching later because their parents wouldn't or couldn't help them prepare for those tests. Hilarious idea, you sure woulda showed them! :ironicat:

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DeusEx posted:

Well, it would be based on merit. Each to his/her own ability. Also these tests could be designed to be of a rather abstract nature, where preparation would do little to influence results. It would still seem fairer to me, than subjective "recommendations". After all it's your faction that argues it should be all about merit and ability, right?

I don't have a faction, I'm merely a pragmatist. Implementing the all-day school everywhere, getting the crap states like Hamburg to change their curriculum to that of Bavaria or BW, and investing in high quality teachers are more pressing and manageable issues than a complete overhaul of the 3-tiered system (which works quite well in some states).

Standardized tests are a loving joke at that age.

e: Class size is another major problem which will keep us from getting to Finland's level, but I guess that's not something you can solve quickly or without loads of money.

Paul Pot fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 3, 2011

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DerDestroyer posted:

Starting to wish I actually applied for that one job in München that matched my qualifications perfectly.

Düsseldorf is a very nice place if you avoid the bad areas (they're pretty bad). Both are among the richest cities in Germany. Düsseldorf might be a little more international and Bavaria in general is a love/hate thing for most people.

BW, Bavaria and Saxony are the highest scoring states. NRW used to be at the bottom, but apparently they've since improved to mediocre. Hamburg is one of the nicest cities in Germany, so just because the education is poo poo doesn't mean it's a bad place to live.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

StrangeRobot posted:

You southerners sure come off as insecure with your creepy worship of rankings, germanness, wealth and the economy. Are there no other things of value in your tight-assed lives?

I just told an American not to worry about education rankings when determining how nice an area is. Perhaps you should stick to a German-language website until your reading comprehension improves.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

StrangeRobot posted:

True, after you shat several times on the northern education systems and demanded we adapt your retarded southern system of rote memorisation because it scored higher in whatever rankings. Saying that our city is nice despite us being uneducated retards compared to you bavarian demigods also isn't quite what I would call absence of a competitiveness-obsessed mindset.

Having said that I freely admit that the southern landscape is way more beautiful and interesting than the boring-rear end neverending plains of the north.

What exactly are you trying to say?

We shouldn't be competitive when it comes to education? I believe most parents would disagree. On average you'll be better prepared for college if you went to a school in Bavaria as opposed to one in Hamburg. I wouldn't want to be treated by a doctor with bad memorization skills.

You may continue to call me a demigod, but I resent being called Bavarian.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baronjutter posted:

I used to think germany was pretty cool, but it's probably only berlin. Germany is really sounding like the US of europe. It's the biggest economy but it's full of right wing religious folk with awful blame-the-victim racism and a "that's just extreme left propaganda!" to any social or economic development since the 70's.

Also nuclear power is germany's creationism debate.
:gb2gbs:

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I believe there's still a market for skilled 1st world factory labor, you just have to find the right niche. Infineon manufacturing chips in Germany doesn't make sense to me, luxury vehicles made in Germany does.

I don't think German luxury cars (I'm counting "Volkswagens" like the Passat as well) are getting outsourced more than they did 10 years ago simply because consumers noticed the quality going down and that started to hurt the brands (Mercedes being the worst offender). The exception are SUVs since the US are by far the largest market and Americans are notoriously dense consumers anyway.

Most people don't buy a luxury sedan solely to show off, they at least appreciate the fact that it was built by people whose dictionary contains a word like "Spaltmaß" as opposed to having it built by Bill & Bob or Jesus & Carlos who spent most of their careers sticking random oddly fitting pieces of plastic in a Chevy dashboard and calling it an interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Car derail:

They've always been outdated poo poo compared to the European model, but that's why I singled out American consumers as being particularly dense. An American will willingly choose a similarly powered 5 year old oversized V6/V8 engine over a high tech state of the art alternative that consumes 50% less petrol to avoid paying "premium" at the gas station. He also won't know how a quality interior is supposed to look like, not to mention buy a big rear end petrol-binging truck that offers less torque because diesel is "smelly".

BMW has gone from manufacturing the Z3 in the US to building their newer models like the 1-series, Z4 and X1 in Germany. I'm sure that would've been cheaper to do so in Romania.