Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Smirr posted:

But I don't think anyone needs to move away from Germany because of this election just yet anyway. Our collective Merkel boner is starting to get a little frightening, but if you've been able to live here these past 8 years, I think you'll be fine. Just wait until it comes out that Merkel has been plagiarizing her pantsuits or something, I don't know.

Short of Merkel removing her face like a mask and revealing she was Hitler all along, I don't think there's anything that would make her go anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

weavernaut posted:

How religious is Germany, anyway? Is it like Ireland, where nobody actually gives a poo poo but religion is all up in politics or is it actually more like the USA, where people do give a poo poo about whether or not you're Christian?

It never stops being really really weird to me when I say hi to someone and they reply with Grüss Gott.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Does anybody know anything about the Deutsche Vermögensberatung GmbH?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

How long is the Verjahrung thingamabob anyway?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Boner Slam posted:

Apparently having both male and female members of a familiy working poses some insurmountable issues for the upbringing of the children in the whole of society. This is a thing a major politician literally said. In this here Germany. I just cant,

I agree with this politician. A single salary ought to be enough to provide for a whole family.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

This same exact thing happened in London a couple years back btw, probably where they got the idea.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Torrannor posted:

It's probably something about the definition of "war" that doesn't include mere trade disputes without any actual physical violence going on.

What about all the times countries went to war over trade disputes? Anglo-Dutch wars represent.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

According to that weird question thing I'm a slightly more anarchic Gandhi. That can't be true, considering I answered a lot of questions about the military in a positive manner. Well, I guess you can be like Gandhi and have nothing against shooting people sometimes. :v:

Gandhi had nothing against shooting people sometimes.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The language Gestapo already exists... IN THIS VERY THREAD.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Do you have any fact's that support this statement?

All of reality.

Also, German quality, engineering and pünktlichkeit is a very handy marketing gimmick that Germany and German brands (understandably) milk for all it is worth. It's just a stereotype though, and as such unsurprisingly false.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

2) SPD was supposed to be the pro-workers party and Grüne were supposed to be the pro-minorities party.

SPD killed Luxemburg and Liebknecht, gently caress them forever.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

e X posted:

So the Final Solution will be found on the free Market?

Final Solutions are bad for business. Instead can I interest you in a series of Temporary Solutions with build-in planned obsolescence?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Antwan3K posted:

Wow this is the worst series of posts I have ever seen on D&D.

"So this guy is a genius, who built an international business with over 1000 employees"
"the rich, who as a group are more beneficial for Germany than the average German"
"Proving yet again that the "rich" have replaced the "jews" as the chosen group du jour to hate."

You're joking right?

Welcome to the D&D Germany thread. The last true bulwark of right wing politics in D&D.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Red Army Faction did kill a few people.

Well, they killed Germans.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

As a teacher and a parent I shudder every time pupils speak out about the skills they feel they should/should not learn in school. The former category invariably include dumb materialist stuff any non-dumb person would pick up within several weeks of living as an independent adult and the latter invariably includes Everything I have To Do At This Moment. As if that same teenager wouldn't piss and moan three lessons into Tax-paying 101.

As long as you teach kids how progressive taxation works because drat do popular misconceptions about this cause damage.

Cingulate posted:

If she can actually write complex texts in 4 languages, she should be very thankful for her education.

Ya this is pretty much an instant job, no further study required.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cingulate posted:

One murdered PEGIDA supporter would probably do much more to damage the left than Breivik did to damage the right.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Hey GaussianCopula, what's the % of murders committed by Nazis in cases where the victim is non-white and the perpetrator isn't immediately obvious (like say, a crime of passion with no attempt to hide it or w/e). Being specific like this is the only way your numbers aren't totally bullshit. Is the number high enough yet that dismissing it as a possibility is dumb yet? Methodical my rear end.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

What's the over-under on that guy having a self made death camp scale model?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mightypeon posted:

difference between normal German and beurocrat German actually isnt that big

This says more about normal German though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Randler posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I do.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Randler posted:

It's not a bad thing, and I kinda doubt your competency regarding this matter. What with all the monarchy and dressing your football players in garbage men colours.

I don't see how that's related to language, but for what it's worth I'm against monarchy, not interested in football and have incredibly strong opinions about fashion.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Disinterested posted:

People reading this forum as a historical record hundreds of years from now are going to think 'peach' is slang for 'rear end in a top hat'.

Well, it is.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Just a note that talking about grade levels when comparing across countries might well be very misleading. Dutch third grade means 6 year olds, for instance, whereas I believe in Germany that'd be 8 year olds?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I always knew that the Catholic Church is rich, but the Cologne archdiocese has 3.35 billion Euro in wealth? That's impressive.

To be fair it's not hard to make big money when you are a criminal conspiracy that has managed to get special protections from the law.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

Hitler: Sterile and lifeless art, tedious writing, excellent mass murderer.

If Hitler was such a bad artist, then how did he manage such a large cultural impact hmmmmm? Really makes you think.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Randler posted:

Because he mostly appears in video games which aren't art.

He has his own TV channel though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

actually that's easy: no war crimes were made, ever, by our allies

On the other hand: Italy, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Croatia and Japan.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

If you have no problems with extraditing German citizens to a foreign country, then you're officially an rear end in a top hat. Sorry.

Klaas Carel Faber was a Dutch member of the SS and a convicted war criminal who Germany sheltered up to his death in 2012 with this bullshit attitude. The reason he got German citizenship? Being a member of the SS.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

Yeah no, there is more to this than just black and white. Or are you insinuating the US army is like the SS?

I'm attacking the principle that seemed to underpin your opinion.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

Extraditing your own citizens without asking why isn't a principle, though. It's not like I'm saying all criminals should be protected if they've comitted crimes outside their home nations borders, since that's unimaginable stupid. But with the many, many not really nice states out there we shouldn't immediately go "OK valued ally, here have this guy who changed his citizenship to ours recently. gently caress our laws, I guess. Torture him extra hard for making us look bad."

I agree with you.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Pand posted:

Personally I'm laughing so hard at the teachers and students that apparently got trolled so hard they had to call the police. "Please make him stop ridiculing our beloved Bundeswehr."

Kid has a bright future on the Internet.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department, says Wernher von Braun.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cingulate posted:

The massive Chinese hydro dams are some of the worst ecological catastrophes that can be traced to a single source, right? I remember an accident with hundreds of thousands of casualties.

But we must remember, an overwhelming majority of Germans thinks about nuclear as much, or less, favourable than Libluini. We will not be able to convince these people with hostility.
I also have much respect for this position. While it's factually incorrect, it's also morally very relatable. Given reasonable priors, nuclear power should be something to distrust. It's huge business playing around with poison that can be used for terrible bombs. And it's the energy industry, possibly the worst industry in the world. Of course you'll distrust them.
So we should be much more understanding when talking to the overwhelming majority of Germans who're deadly afraid of nuclear power. And being factually right doesn't mean we can allow ourselves to be dicks about it.

We can't trust energy companies, therefore we shouldn't do this objectively reasonable thing for the benefit of the country and the species, rather than nationalize the everliving gently caress out of energy production and distribution and stop destroying the environment that allows us to live.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Why yes, a fair representation of my point.

This is about being pragmatic. Nuclear is pragmatic. Being respectful is pragmatic.

What makes you think I was trying to represent your point? Because I wasn't.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

my check should be coming in any day now

Listen I paid good money for my online advertising courses and qualifications plus the EU Nuclear Energy Promotion Certificate ok. My check WILL come annnyyyyy day now.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It would be more practical and shorter to list what's not going wrong.

Well you haven't invaded Russia so it's not an all-time low.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

That paper is actually well researched and has more sources than my own. And one of the authors is from an Bavarian institute.

Who cares about quantity of sources. How about the quality?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

All the sources are publically available, so you can look them up and decide for yourself.

You wrote the paper, how about you tell me?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Maybe the reason GaussianCopula is against lowering the murder rate is due him worrying it'll lead to more pedophilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

While it is cool and good that Germany still has trade apprenticeships worth a drat (whereas most countries really, really dont) and things like that, education is a worthy pursuit in its own right and certainly access to academia should not be determined by who your parents are, what they do for a living or how much money they make.