Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with splitting children based on the capacity at an early stage, then teaching them at a higher level, and allow them the only ones to get a university degree. (backdoor entries are still possible through some other ways)

But yes, the shift isn't made based on pure merit and intellect anymore.

I'm Dutch and in the Netherlands we have a similar system. My parents are/were simple middle-class (dad started working at age 16), and me and my siblings all went to the gymnaseum equivalent.

But one of the worst students in my class was the son of the local doctor. He was always slow, asking questions, and then suddenly was "diagnosed with dyslexia" so he could take an additional 15 mins for each test.
I recently saw on LinkedIn it took him 10 years to get a master's degree.

Education used to be the great class equalizer, but nowadays higher eduction is often used by the higher classes to make sure their children have a big head start over the rest. The really smart kids from the lower classes will still "escape", but the above and below average on either side will not move up/down like they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU