Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

Gold and a Pager posted:

Also, children have parents. They can tell them not to cross the street.

My parents told me not to cross red lights and I did it anyway when I thought I could get away with it, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only kid doing that. When at a red light and there are kids watching, adults should set a good example and stay were they are. Feel free to call me spießig now. :thumbsup:

Edit: Although a group of German people standing at a red light always becomes funny when somebody suddenly decides to cross the street, and you can see the rest of the group is engaging in an inner struggle whether to follow them, or keep standing there. Crossing at red is against the rules, but on the other hand that person who just crossed the completely car-free street sure does make the rest of us look dumb... what to do...

Ententod fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

It's pure speculation, but would you say that the course of this change in politics could be partly due to the fact that the NPD is teeming with these V-Männern? I got the general impression that the NPD would cease to be able to function as a party if all the confidential informants of the domestic intelligence just up and left.

V-männer are neonazis who get paid for passing on information to the Verfassungsschutz. There's evidence quite a few of them only join the program to collect a paycheck from the government while still supporting the NPD, in some cases with the very money they earn from being V-männer. So it's highly unlikely all of them would just up and leave.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
AFAIK the establishment of the Verfassungsschutz was from the start strongly linked to fear of threats to the state coming from the extreme left, which was of course highly relevant during the time (cold war). Appearantly that is why the organization still seems to "specialize" in monitoring leftist activity, to this day. Hopefully, the current events will help broaden their horizon a little.

Grendels Dad posted:

The bit about V-Männer basically being government-funded Neo-Nazis sounds pretty bad, but from what I've read I had the impression a sizable part of them actually were government spies and since there were so many of them in the NPD it couldn't be banned.

All V-Männer are government spies on paper, while also being Nazis. :iamafag: Since too many of the accused turned out to be on Verfassungsschutz payroll, the court appearantly found it difficult to assess who had acted on what motivation, and closed the proceedings. At least, that's how I understood it.

I'm also dumbfounded the media in this country is getting away with the term "Döner-Morde".

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
Certainly Guttenberg wasn't the first person to be caught with a plagiarized thesis? What kind of sentence do people usually recieve for something like that?

Also, I can't really imagine why the guy would ever want to make a comeback. It's probably only barely possible to feel any more shame than he must have felt during this whole ordeal, and had I been in his position that would have turned me off politics for good.
Shrugging off the nation of Germany and loving off to America seems like a far more comprehensible course of action to me, is all.

Ententod fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 24, 2011

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Fallen German conservative star ready for comeback
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/24/germany-conservatives-guttenberg-idUSL5E7MO26620111124

Every country has the government it deserves.
- Joseph Marie de Maistre

I think Die Linke once polled at 60% at Kabel 1 Teletext. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, but there he does actually say he wants to come back. What a tool.

Ententod fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 24, 2011

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

elwood posted:

Who the hell still uses videotext?

Bored people?

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

hankor posted:

I'd rather take cases like this than deal with poo poo like if politicians have the right sexuality, religion or if they are unfaithful to their spouse or not.

I wasn't suggesting he should go into politics over there, I just thought, you know, I'd rather live somewhere I'm not publicly known as a liar.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

goethe42 posted:

Gerda also thinks, that for a change it's nice to have someone in a high position that isn't divorced at least once, it has been a long time since someone with good christian family values was in power and a "von" is more or less a guarantee for that.

I have never, ever gotten the impression anyone in Germany gives a poo poo about this sort of thing. The only case I can recall where the public paid attention to a politician's family life was with the Von der Leyens. Oh yeah and that CSU guy whose son engaged in gangster rapping :laffo:
People care about Guttenberg's marriage because she's pretty and put together, they're sort of glamorous, and that's it. I guess this is also why the media insists on describing him as attractive, I mean he isn't exactly ugly, but singling him out as especially handsome is a bit odd. Guy isn't any better looking than say, Cem Özdemir, and the latter clearly has better hair. :colbert:

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
It looks like Peer Steinbrück is basically channeling him at this point, so I'd risk voting for Steinbrück if he were to run for office. It's not like there are a lot of other great candidates to chose from, anyway.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

az posted:

I believe that at least a quarter of NDP votes are trolling to show discontent with the other parties, I know people who've done this.

That's like being dissatisfied with the food at a restaurant and going to the toilet to eat poo poo from the bowl instead.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

niethan posted:

I guess as long as they aren't a "clear end present danger" to german democracy it's no big deal that they kill turks.

Whose mouth are you trying to put those words in, exactly?

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

Hungry Gerbil posted:

The pirates are too successful, too fast. It will come back and hurt them in the near future.

Yeah, I think it'll just speed up the process of people noticing they can't keep their promises and don't really know what they are doing, anyway. Which I think is the exact resentment their voters feel towards the established parties, and which drives them to vote pirates in the first place.
What really rubs me the wrong way about that party is that their base is seriously the most irritating of them all. This is the only thread I have seen where the pirates being mocked did not bring their supporters out of the woodwork to start an e-argument. Gotta love how they keep complaining the press is mean to them, and the other parties too, wah wah. Because the press writes only nice things about the big parties, and your opposition's job is to not hurt your feelings.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
I just checked the show out on YT, had to turn it off cause I couldn't take Lauer anymore. Just because there's one German politician who looks sophisticated just by sitting around and smoking doesn't mean that dumbass should imitate him. :bang:
By the way, the moment where I turned the show off was this clip of him speaking at the parliament, which is, admittedly, comedy gold. Lauer basically accuses the parliament of being full of jocks who did not invite his party members to their birthday parties, and tells them to be ashamed when they collectively go 'awww'.

vvv If in the future the pirates get to share the protest voter niche with die Linke without hope of ever gaining real political power, then I'll be happy.

Ententod fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 8, 2012

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
He also literally describes their party members as standing on the margins of society. Yep, all those white middle-class nerds, so marginalized in our world, forget about the disabled, the elderly, immigrants and the poor! Bet they are invited to more parties than Lauer!

Ententod fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 9, 2012

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
If she thinks the idea of intellectual property is "disgusting", slogging all the way through a 100.000 € contract by a big name publisher and then putting her signature under it must have been truly revolting.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

midnightclimax posted:

I'd even go so far as to say that they promised her a CC-like license during talks, but then "forgot" to include it in the fine print. Maybe. I mean it's the publishing industry, it's not like they never hosed someone over.

And that's why you don't sign a 100K contract without hiring a lawyer to look over it first. Although I wouldn't go as far as you. They offered her money to write a bunch of narcissistic drivel about herself, and she took it without caring about her Geschwätz von gestern. It's not exactly mysterious.
If she was unhappy with the way her publisher is handling things, she could have said something by now.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
Our tax euros are subsidizing Nazis for being Nazis. Worst Beschäftigungsmaßnahme ever.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

Sereri posted:

The main points being
  • Guns (we still manage to have shootings though not so many)
  • Obesity (we're getting fatter too though not so much)
  • Education (our education also sucks though not so much)
  • Bombing brown people (for oil)

• religious zealotry
  • backwards politics
  • inequal distribution of wealth
  • prudery
  • racism against black people
  • prisons and the death penalty, the use of a jury system (how backwards)
  • the materialistic and wasteful culture, alternatively the absence of any culture
  • What is this the time of, Charlemagne?!

I disagree that German anti-americanism isn't real and widespread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
Lots of old people here are still upholding their traditional Christian values. I suspect if Germans cared as much about their politicians' private opinions as Americans do, the CDU would be referencing their Christian beliefs a lot more often (whether true or not). They are already using the religious argument against stem cell research and medically assisted suicide. Not to forget immigration.
Our Judeo-Christian tradition :qq:

Ententod fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 4, 2012