Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

skipThings posted:

The green party is now mostly a conservative party that likes to sperate their trash. Everything is hopeless on the fedral level and party interest is always above the interest of some few good politicians in all parties.

Did the Overton window shift to the left so the green party is now centrist, or did the party shift to the right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

hankor posted:

Also I have no idea what supermarkets you go to, I've never seen what you describe outside of budget chains.

Seriously, I've never seen a single rotten fruit or unstocked shelf in Germany.

I do agree with the Telekom hate though because seriously, gently caress those guys.

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

dreamin' posted:

You're forgetting the Gesamtschule which appeared only recently as a school form. Well, "recently" as in 25 years ago or so. You will be tested in several stages if you can be recommended for the next school level, so to speak.

Which means you start there at age 9, stay there for a few years and make a Hauptschulabschluss or decide to go further. After a few more years you can get a Realschulabschluss or decide to go for Abitur (certifying you to study at a university).

While that doesn't solve all the problems inherent to the German education system, it's a nice step forward because what amounts to basically your whole future isn't decided at 9 years old and your academic potential can be assessed for a good while longer.

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

Plankalkuel posted:

The already mentioned Gesamtschule is more like all three schools in the same building, but still with separate classes for the different levels of academic performance. It is easier to switch to an advanced class, because you don't have to switch schools, but it's still pretty far from the meaning of it's name (gesamt = whole, collective).

Huh? Maybe I didn't understand you correctly, but there were no separations between kids until the Realschule ended. All kids went to the same classes until some of them graduated with Hauptschulabschluss. Then the same class continued for a few years (sans the kids who graduated of course) until more graduated with Realschulabschluss. After that, the classes were split up into courses for Abitur (Basic and advanced courses, every student had to choose four advanced courses/ Leistungskurse).

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

Plankalkuel posted:

Also not to forget, Gesamtschulen are currently only available in half of Germany, because the other states fear, that their precious education standards might suffer from a little competition.

You can say that twice. If I ever have kids I'll do my best to send them to a Gesamtschule. My experience there was thoroughly positive, even in retrospect.

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

KingaSlipek posted:

I think that is a good thing and also indicates that the selection process is mostly okay.

As my time is limited at the moment I'll take your word for the German Gymnasium students being among the best in the world and I definitely agree that's a good thing, but I believe that there's much more potential.

Haupt- and Realschul students could probably achieve a lot more with more adequate support.

I recall that the German PISA standings aren't exactly stellar if you consider all German students and not just the elite.

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

cgeq posted:

Just because there hasn't been a huge rush of women joining the armed forces (beyond field medics) doesn't mean it wasn't a big issue. There's no reason the demographics of the military population shouldn't reflect the demographics of the general population, so it would seem the fact that it does not would reflect a big and ongoing issue.

Ya well, the Bundeswehr has always been a little slow to react to societal changes. Young men were drafted into military service until July of this very year after all. It's a large, conservative organ that likes to resist change as long as it can. I mean, it was only in 2004 that homosexuals were allowed to openly serve for crying out loud. We're pretty much at the rear end-end of Europe here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

ArchangeI posted:

This is just in: Civil war about to break out in Germany over school system, Bavaria declaring "Gymnasiums or Death!"

Seriously guys...some of you make it sound like you need an Ariernachweis to amount to anything in this country.

Well, your chances of success are significantly higher if you are the child of wealthy parents and not brown. I would be willing to call that an Ariernachweis lite.

Yes, I am aware that this is pretty much an international problem. Doesn't mean we should rest on the status quo.