Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

That's a fair mindset.

On the other hand some of us grew up in the shittiest poo poo holes like Erzgebirge or the dark heart of the Ruhrmetropole so you kinda give us, I mean uh those people, something to cling onto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah the Christmas market post was good. I like Christmas markets, unfortunately my partner really doesn't. Would like to go to Aachen of Cologne again. Here in the Netherlands Christmas means you get to deep fry a piece of stale dough and stand in the rain. I miss standing around with spices wine and looking at seas of handcrafted stuff I'd never buy for myself.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

nawilo_420 posted:

The system of Krankschreibung perfectly encapsulates german culture in that it shows you that it is simply impossible for germans to be adults and use common sense for anything, so everything has to be enshrined in laws and rules, and then all those laws and rules get abused to hell and back. As a consequence of this they never learn to just be normal without having rules to tell them what that means, so it's a never ending spiral. see also: Ruhezeit

Unlike the Dutch of course, as we see them rationally elect a new government to democratically solve their problems

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Happy Christmas Eve everyone. If you're having a great year I hope you can take this moment to savour it. If you're having a poo poo year I hope you can take this moment to recharge a bit.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Deutschgoons, I need some practical advice from people who understand snail mail. I need to send an Einschreiben to the Postbank. On their website, it just states the address below. Does the Post actually manage to find this?

Postbank
Privatkunden
53245 Bonn

(https://www.postbank.de/privatkunden/services/kontakt.html#expand=postanschriften)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yes perfectly fine, they just need that number (it's a postbox)

Wild poo poo!

e: also I just sent a Fax online.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Libluini posted:

I'm assuming you're not posting from a ship on the North Sea, so that's not really impressive, Fax in the less wet parts of Deutschland has been internet-only for years now.

Well it's also the first Fax I've sent since I was like 7 years old -- I've spent about half my life outside of the homeland now, and I feel my ancestors smiling upon me.

Like this but with a Fax machine in the sky:

Hopper posted:

Remember how I told you my Christmas imploded because mom got covid?

My New Years plans are also coming apart because my best buddy, where we were going to spend tomorrow evening, is now ill in bed with a fever of yet unknown origin as of today.

For the first time in 4 years I took time off between Christmas and New Years and all I got was shat on by the universe for it.

Seriously gently caress this noise.

I was visiting family these days. I'm sick, just a little bit but still. They're sick, and post-operation and can't have any infections. "Why are you wearing a mask?!" But also random respiratory diseases are wildly out of control this season.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

... Kaufland?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bubatz

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hopper posted:

PSA: I am currently trying to sift through my father in laws possesions, because he is in a care home and severely demented and MIL is moving into a smaller place.

For the love of God, if you have elderly parents, make sure to talk to them about documents for everything (insurance, running contracts etc) and scan anything important BEFORE you need it.

Weirdly, MIL paid all the bills etc but FIL filed everything away, so MIL has no clue what he put where.
Even though we found a cabinet of folders, it takes forever to distinguish random communication and outdated stuff from 20 years ago from actual agreements and important documents.

So be proactive, sort it out now, because trust me, you don't want to have to do it after something happened.

I'm sorry you have to go through that. Sis and I did a similar thing last year when our father passed. I hope that this will bring the family closer together for you.

Our dad was pretty organized so contracts weren't the problem. But figuring out how to coordinate with his Privatversicherung over his hundreds of thousands of euros of medical bills was a nightmare. And it took us a year to actually have legal access to his bank account, but that was due to Postbank being a piece of poo poo and only working when you get the Ombudsman involved.

Result of that exercise is that I have a draft of a will plus I'm organizing my agreements, possessions as easily as possible.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

spankmeister posted:

I'm curious to see how soon the Drogentourismus to The Netherlands will go down. Maybe it will spike for a bit because there's no clubs yet but it'll probably go down by a lot.

When the drug tourists stop coming Amsterdam they will be replaced by urbanists who soyface at trams and bike lanes

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

New Alan Wake game looking good

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

doing a bit of ahnenforschung and finding out that my father left online reviews for gifts he bought for his grandkids before he died. its one of these nights

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Libluini posted:

A coworker told me today that Everspace 2 had won a price as the best German video game of 2023, and my first thought was "Wait, Everspace 2 was made by Germans? :psyduck: "

well no, my first thought was "but X4 was better", :lol: the dumbest nerd represent

Antigravitas posted:

Well, X4 is better. :smuggo:

x3 terran conflict factory building ptsd flashbacks

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

When I was doing Zivi I would make a stop at home on my delivery route just to make sure my factories were still working. I can't fall into that rabbit again man. Those spreadsheets. Getting laughed at on the forums because *obviously* you can't play this game without the right mods, who'd be so stupid.

That weird loving in game programming / console language for your ships

Oh god oh no

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

There will never be a big game development scene in Germany because German culture seems anything playful to be insincere and uncouth. If it's not in a textbook approved in 1975 it won't be done. The only thing we can hope for are spreadsheets visualized in a 3d engine.

Or police simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

People explaining jokes and people being overly smug and self-righteous are both quintessentially German and thread-appropriate.