Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Boiled Water posted:

Whats up with bashing southern Germany? Or does southerners describe Italy/Spain/Greece?

The latter. While Germany profited immensely from exporting stuff to the European South / Periphery due to the increased purchasing power and borrowing ability the Euro gave their comparatively weak economies now those economies are deeply in debt because of the Euro essentially being a currency peg Germany is suddenly very upset with their spending habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Zohar posted:

The BRD's had plenty experience with right-wing populism in the past. It seems pretty likely to me that AfD will follow the path of its forebears (like the Republikaner in the 80s/90s and the NPD in the 60s) by having a brief moment in the limelight before disintegrating.

The problem is, at least as experienced by other countries with rising right ring populists is that now the USSR is gone there isn't any real reason for elites to fear a left wing backlash to right wing populism so they have no reason to try to moderate it. Thus this time may well not drop off as things have in the past.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
An obscure question about religion but does the Thirty Years War come up much in regards to religion? If it does is it considered mostly a religious or a political conflict?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

eviljelly posted:

I don't understand the German obsession with Sundays though. Why isn't it better for people to decide for themselves which day to spend with their family? I would think that it'd be nice for people not to have to be forced to get all their weekly grocery shopping done only on Saturdays, for instance, if people have other plans. I suppose it's the German way to have the government tell everyone how best to live their lives. Most of the time, it works out pretty well. v:shobon:v

Because if there isn't a day when employers are forced to give people a day off or less hours then workers, especially poorer people who need as much money as they can get, will have much less chance to choose any day off.

Plus if everyone is getting a day off at the same time it means families will have a much greater chance to spend quality time together.