Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hello fellow sufferers and of course those in the unruly wilderness north of the Weißwurstäquator. Bavaria extended the Ausgangssperre until April 20th today.

I knew this was coming because a) the virus isn't going anywhere and b) people don't give a poo poo. Englischer Garten here in Munich apparently was a prime example of mass stupidity this weekend.

I went to do my weekly shopping this morning and got everything, they even had TP, flour and yeast. But yeast is limited to 2 cubes a person because apparently everybody and their grandma are now bakers. It's not like there is a shortage of bread either though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So the company I work for is largely unaffected by this and I have 30 days vacation time, 25 of which I have to take because we can only transfer 5 to next year.

Realistically speaking, international travel is off the table this year, at least if it involves an airplane. But even a dip over to an adjacent country is probably not happening or possible anytime soon.
My other travel will probably be extremely limited to maybe visiting friends at most.
And I don't think that is happening before July or August.

I am just waiting for it to get warmer and for Baumärkte to open again before I take time off so I can at least do something productive like fix up my balcony. Which means April 20th at the earliest here in Bavaria anyway. And then 2 weeks to wait out the inevitable 2nd wave.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

Düsseldorf now only allows Warenabgabe in haushaltsüblichen Mengen which is bad news for my re-up on beans, chickpeas and lentils as well as 7.25 kg of chocolate waiting in the Packstation.

Well Packstation doesn't shame you for hoarding chocolate. Just grab it under cover of night and stow it in your gigantic lawyer's trolly to lug it home.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Schwierig, aktuell sind "echte Masken" alle ausverkauft. Aber googel mal, hier bei München gibt es z. B. nen Trachtenladen, die haben auf waschbare Baumwollmasken umgestellt. Das sollte es andernorts mittlerweile auch geben.

Falls du aus meiner Ecke bist kann ich dir die Adresse von dem Trachtenladen besorgen.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Smirr posted:

I can imagine it's no longer hoarding per se, but people got their brains broken from seeing empty shelves so often, so now when they see a filled shelf they buy something just in case, even though they might not need it right away. Source: I would definitely buy one pack of toilet paper if I saw any, even though I have a luxurious four rolls left.

Still kinda weird with bread, though. Although come to think of it, my boomer-as-gently caress parents always had bread in the freezer.

Same, I bought kitchen paper towels on Saturday because we are down to 3 rolls and I saw some sitting in dm. Normally I'd wait until we are down to the last roll but right now you really don't know when you will be able to buy more.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
3rd week of social distancing and home office for me and the gf and 2nd week of Ausgangssperre here in Bavaria. I am fortunate to have the woods right near me here in the South West of Munich so I go running 7-10k every 3 days.

However, truth be told, I had a bad day today. I felt an inner tension and basically went stir crazy but had to keep working and it drove me nuts that I couldn't just get up and go outside and do whatever without risking my health. It went down into my stomach and made me feel queasy... never had anxiety before but I guess that's what that is. I am not proud of it but I downed a double whiskey, watched some TV with the GF and feel slightly better. Tomorrow is running day so that's good but man today was not nice.

What I am saying is people take care of yourselves, this poo poo is taxing, we all joke about TP but it still takes a toll on your brain to be locked up like this.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Since I now work at the same desk I normally game on using the same screen and mouse, I can't be arsed to sit there more than my 8 hours. Which annoys me because I love my games but can't see that desk anymore. Which is exactly why I work from a small shared office in downtown normally, but gently caress doing that commute on the U-Bahn if I don't have to.

Edit: Obviously first world problems but like I said, bad day today.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That's old news though, it was decided last year at some point wasn't it?

I mean of course it is good but I thought it was already decided that would happen.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 2, 2020

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
A lot of people probably meet friends or colleagues they don't directly work with for lunch during their workday and consider that "private". I know several people who do that in my circle of friends.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
WFH doing as much as I have to to fulfill minimum requirements. But that's just my usual Friday.

Also right now cooking eggs for Ayitamago (Ramen eggs) while working in preparation for dinner. Will go nicely with the porkbelly I made yesterday while working.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Downloaded The Division 2 on PS4 yesterday because a buddy kept bugging me and we started the campaign. It’s great! Love closing car doors and vaulting over cover. The whole „militia clears up neighborhoods“ shtick feels borderline fascist though. But oh well.

Playing the Division in Pandemic Isolation is not going to improve your mood. 2 has a lot less virus related story so you should be good. But don't play 1, it is basically a documentary at this point.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Saw someone carrying TP from a dm so there’s still stores with supply. Most Discounters had like 3 or 4 people waiting outside though so I didn’t go to check. Super weird to see. Lots of masks, like 10% of people outside wear them. Anyone figure out which times are best for shopping yet?

In Bavaria our shops close at 20.00. If you just need packaged stuff 19.30/45 has been my go-to but if you need meat/cold cuts from the counter go in the morning, that's tuff is gone by evening. My Rewe opens at 7 and this morning at 8 we had maybe 15 customers inside and 2 open tills with 2 people in the queie each, that's good. Dowside is you have to avoid the staff stocking the shelves so ymmv.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

That's next week's weather forecast. 1) Its gonna be lovely to be stuck indoors 2) a LOT of morons are going to go outside, BBQ, lie in the sun etc, I am almost sure they will extend the lock down into May because people are irresponsible idiots.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah sorry to hear about your dad.
I don't know Darmstadt but do you guys have a Maibaum? That may be something to show him. They always look nice no matter whether there are people around or not. I thought beer garden first, but that is probably a downer when it is empty.
Also maybe picturesque churches from the outside (or inside, but I doubt they are open). I know it sounds touristy birthday also kinda the point right? A virtual tourist tour.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
∆∆∆

The "Helden get Krise" would be more thrilled if we all just stayed inside like they ask us to instead of doing useless stuff like this.

Also: Shits gonna be worse than I thought next week. Here in Munich it is 14 degrees and sunny and I thought it might make sense to nip to the corner shop at 12 when people are home having lunch...
We are beyond help. Massive line in the shop, most people not keeping distance, outside it was busy as if it was a normal day, people chatting, very few masks, many people clearly not going/coming from shopping or essential stuff and completely usual levels of traffic. And we are on the outskirts.

So Ausgangssperre doesn't do poo poo on days people don't have to work it seems. No home office no reason to stay in I guess. And next week we have the 4 days Easter weekend.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 4, 2020

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Munich is the worst, confirmed

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Oh dear, I was thinking about this and concluded they surely must’ve cancelled it already like weeks ago.

Wonder if anyone would even show up besides locals.

Söder and Reiter said 3 weeks ago this has to be decided in June/July before construction starts at the latest. So they will postpone the decision to the last possible day in July of course, wouldn't want to jump the gun. But it's not gonna happen. That would be insane.

Also they just cited some virologist on the radio who said from an epidemiologist perspective there can't be any big public gathering like soccer games anymore this year. And Oktoberfest dwarfs any kind of public gathering imaginable in Germany so ...

But who knows maybe they desperately want a third wave to hit us after the inevitable second wave we are going to get after they restart school and/or announce Ausgangssperre is over.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

"Getränkemärkte haben auf, das Gotteshaus nicht. Wem wollen Sie das erklären?"

First of all, naturally in Bavaria no Sonderregel is accepted and shops are closed on the holidays as god wills it. Second, feel free to open churches, place a doorman and only allow in 5 people at a time, just like at shops.

Why does religion make many people so stupid?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

I‘m pondering buying an Airfryer tomorrow, I miss fries. :(

I wouldn't. The reports are not good. An air frier is essentially a miniature oven, so it won't be like real fries anyway. Save that money and just make fries in your oven.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ika posted:

Personally I avoid delivery for basic staples because I feel picking it up on the way home from work from a store has a significantly lower environmental impact than having poorly maintained diesel trucks delivering it to me from multiple different companies. Plus I get exercise. The current situation obviously is an exception.

Same here. I will only order obscure stuff I can't get like kitchen ready suet that you cna only get via Amazon around here (I picked up fresh suet at the butchers once, that is a messy business to get ready for cooking).

GABA ghoul posted:

IRC Munich has some of the cleanest tap water in the Republic(you can tell how good it is by it being 95% kalk by weight) Your legionella were probably from a badly maintained/set building heater :colbert:

This. Which is why we also have a Soda stream. You should only use the glass bottles though as the plastic ones are unhygienic and possibly unhealthy. And we use off brand cylinders from rossmann, or DM or wherever. The Aldi stuff doesn't work as well though.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

tap of the morning to ya!

I like Berlin water apart from the fact it has me entkalking my Kaffeemaschine much more often than advised. My parents' house had a very special taste I fondly remember. It's gone now sadly so I'm pretty sure they had some plumbing work done.

Munich is the same 18 degrees on the hardness scale iirc. I had a fishtank before and it was difficult for keeping tropical fish but crawfish loved it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I make my own Hollundersirup every year, it is dead easy. All you need is a Hollunderbusch in bloom that is away from any road, some lemons, water and sugar.

I still have 3 bottles from 2017 in my pantry and 1 from 2018, and they are all still fine to drink, the stuff keeps for ages and 1l yields about 100 glasses if not more, depending on how sweet you like it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Should've made the Swiss version of Wurst salad and used empty beers, then title it The Wurst-Käs scenario.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Rote Beete is alright. You have to prep it right for it to not taste of soil. And next juice is a great iron booster afaik. My limit is half a glass though. Ice cold only.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Is there a vegan alternative to Weißwurst? :(

No, just no. :colbert:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Cheese??? The gently caress.

No mayo? What the gently caress!

That’s basically a potato salad :colbert:

Cheese makes it a Swiss Wurstsalat.

Wurstsalat has no mayo and neither does good potatoes salad.

If you are thinking of Fleischsalat that's a whole different beast of disgusting.
And I say that as someone who likes pie apple on Pizza.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What you do after the first Lockerungen is exactly what you do now. After about 3 weeks the cycle will start again and you will be relatively safe because you knew unleashing the unwashed hordes into the streets before any vaccine or mass testing for antibodies was an idea almost as dumb as the average non-isolator now.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mano posted:

No, it makes it a Wurst-Käse-Salat, wtf

Wurstsalat-Pedia

"Bekannte Varianten sind der Schwäbische Wurstsalat, der zur Hälfte Blutwurst enthält, und besonders die in Deutschland Schweizer Wurstsalat, auch Straßburger oder Elsässer Wurstsalat  genannte Zubereitung mit einem Anteil Emmentaler Käse."

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with ith those sirups anyway? I mean you can add any old Sirup to a glass and then add sparkling water. What's so special about the sodastream sirups?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

:negative:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well Zeitumstellung has passed already...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Realistically, as long as you wash your hands during cooking as you do and cook all your food, I don't see why I should wipe down every carton of Milk, eggs or pasta.

Soda cans or bottles you drink out of OK. But other things... I'd go bonkers if I did that.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I'd call Mithaldu's advice doomsaying. I would just literally go insane and/or develop an unhealthy kind of OCD (yes my current degree of OCD is healthy, thank you very much) if I cleaned all my groceries.

It already is completely bonkers: Go out to shop, come back, wash hands, take of mask, wash hands, unpack shopping bag, remember bags is probably "dirty", wash hands again...

Somewhere you gotta give up just to stay sane.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, i'm not trying to doomsay. And yep, i agree, it's tough. Getting done with the shopping trip is exhausting and takes so long because it's so easy to forget to keep track of my hands. Doesn't help that i have 3 at-high-risk persons in the house.

I understand. I am in the lucky position that I am still kinda used to wearing face masks and more so gloves because I did 2 years of ambulance driving and 20 years of Red Cross, most of it in First Aid.

Please make sure to take care of yourself though. And by that I mean your mental wellbeing. It seems to me that this is a burden on you and maybe more taxing than you think.
It is easier said than done but try to have "off days" where you don't have to worry about it. Like use the Easter weekend to do something fun. Play video games, cook a huge meal, do a jigsaw puzzle or binge a series... anything that takes your mind off the current situation.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
^^^ Same.

So Easter dinner during a Pandemic. What are you lot cooking? Since I can't go anywhere anyway I bought a 3kg leg of lamb that I'll sous-vide for 24hs and then roast in the oven and serve with fondant potatoes.

Also we are only 2 in this household, so we will be eating a lot of lamb 3 next week.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

System Metternich posted:

Normally we'd have insanely delicious Sauerbraten w/ Spätzle, Birnen and Preiselbeeren courtesy of my Oma. This is not happening this year for obvious reasons, so if the weather holds we're probably just gonna have a BBQ in our garden instead.

I wish I could BBQ, but we only have a balcony so no BBQ for us...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Welp. My CEO just announced a blanket 5% salary cut across all of the company. Well he introduced it as one of the tools we will use to "keep us afloat". Now another one is reduced work week i.e. 4 days not 5 with the corresponding cut in salary. I totally understand but:
if your work week is shortened you are exempt from the 5% cut. Which makes this bullshit. I'd rather have every other Friday off and eat the 10% cut in salary or whatever that is than have to work full time but still have 5% cut off.
One is a cut with the tiny benefit of 2 days off per month, the other is just a cut. Does not compute.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I know and I actually don't mind that much. I would just like to get the chance to actually work 1 or 2 days less a month rather than just taking the cut. Will talk to my manager when it comes to it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I think it would be every other Friday. 20 workdays/month on average so my layman's maths tells me 2 days less is 10%. Not sure that's absolutely correct what with taxation and Sozialabgaben but that's the ballpark I guess. It's not great but at least I'd get some free days out of it to do stuff I hate doing on weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well I'll wait and see. This is a US based company and we have a poor excuse for European HR in Ireland, until they figured out ho to legally reduce worktime in Germany this might have blown over. It took me 2 months to explain to them how Betriebliche Altersversorgung works. :negative: