Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

hankor posted:

Guys, chill out! Pretty much ignoring 50% of the population is not a big thing, it's the same as not having plumbers and carpenters on your list of candidates.

http://kegelklub.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/liebe-presse/

Ever wondered why most politicians are lawyers or have a degree in something worthwhile? It's because they need to have a professional background that enables them to actually understand and write a bill.

But I'm sure a 19 year old that just finished school will do just fine, in the end it's about passion and not about competence.

http://www.spiegel.de/schulspiegel/leben/0,1518,787114,00.html

I though the professional civil service did most of the actual bill writing and complicated stuff.

The politician has to *understand* the bill sufficiently to know if it represents his electorates interests, but even then they will rely on professional advisors appropriate to each particular bill. With bills on things as varied as copyright law, farming and fisheries management, criminal law, welfare, medical licensing etc., NO amount of schooling or life experience can make you expert enough to vote in an informed fashion in every single area without significant backup.

I would rather see politicians from a wide variety of educational backgrounds. Political sciences and economics are important, but the hard sciences are sorely underrepresented in a day and age where many significant political decisions should be more heavily informed by science. Evidence based politics trumps ideology based politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU