Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Motivates me to "create" more of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/1778189065759891959?t=_aNFFb9KuAq6p4pih-rbRA&s=19

One of these days I'll be down in the UsA and make a point to stop in at Goodsprings for Fallout Day.

The Victor cosplayer is a buddy of mine, got his permission to post in Instagram in the thread
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv_s5CmOZ2h/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Very talented and creative guy, makes some very cool stuff out leather and just about anything else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/TKsMantis/status/1780633238651978095?t=G3Li8Mqi2yLVa7brkzloSA&s=19

Fair enough.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think the timeline is the issue todd

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think the timeline is the issue todd

I still haven't finished but I'm much more okay with "the NCR collapses after the events of New Vegas" than "New Vegas didn't happen"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
finally we can reignite the arguments about whether or not the Legion was right since we know conclusively that the NCR fails, this was Todd's real gift all along

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No now we debate whether the "fall of Shady Sands" is the fall of the NCR at large or just the town, or if the NCR moves its capital around and names every capital Shady Sands since the TV show puts it in the Boneyard so maybe it's Adytum or something that got renamed down the road.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Doomykins posted:

finally we can reignite the arguments about whether or not the Legion was right since we know conclusively that the NCR fails, this was Todd's real gift all along

No. They were dumb, OP

poo poo, I'm doing it right now, aren't I :ohdear:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Doomykins posted:

Ceaser Legion are a bunch of Proud Boys they suck.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Doomykins posted:

The dialectic... The dialectic never changes

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Doomykins posted:

It took one (1) divorced dad to bring down the NCR, Eddie Sallow's horde of Rome cosplayers BTFO.

Edit: Ross Geller handled his wife being a lesbian better than ex-overseer Muad'Dib Agent Dale Cooper Hank MacLean.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 17, 2024

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
So the survivors were too embarrassed to date the nuke, the library book from the credits coincidentally was last taken out in 2276, and the city had "fallen" so hard that it was still somehow a beacon of freedom for the wife and like Gears of War 2 was simply too good to be allowed to exist? Yeah that all sounds on brand for Bethesda

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Byzantine posted:

i can't believe a fallout us soldier committed war crimes during the invasions of canada and china

i can't believe a us soldier committed war crimes

the revised canon will be the laughing soldier was actually Randall Clark

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Broken Box posted:

the revised canon will be the laughing soldier was actually Randall Clark

He was so disgusted fighting in Canada that all he could do was laugh.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
>Hate Canada
>Support Canada
>What is Canada
>Sarcastic (Canada)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Perfect Potato posted:

So the survivors were too embarrassed to date the nuke, the library book from the credits coincidentally was last taken out in 2276, and the city had "fallen" so hard that it was still somehow a beacon of freedom for the wife and like Gears of War 2 was simply too good to be allowed to exist? Yeah that all sounds on brand for Bethesda

I guess they were chip outta luck

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dialogue skipping "ughh, maple syrup"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

No now we debate whether the "fall of Shady Sands" is the fall of the NCR at large or just the town, or if the NCR moves its capital around and names every capital Shady Sands since the TV show puts it in the Boneyard so maybe it's Adytum or something that got renamed down the road.

Shady Sands got teleported along with that entire cliff face at Vault 15 in Fallout 2.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Adytum got renamed Shady Sands while Shady Sands got renamed NCR like in Fallout 2. Also the Shady Sands mentioned in Fallout: New Vegas is totally different and is the *state entity*.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the state is called Shady, not Shady Sands. Know the difference.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What if in Season 2 turns out Caesar died of his brain tumor and he was replaced by someone calling themselves Augustus who might or might not be the Courier?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's very clear Todd and the writers did not think any of this through and it's very frustrating.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Todd can say whatever he wants just like Ropekid can say "yes man unshackling himself without telling you he was going to wasn't meant to be sinister" all he wants.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Shady Sands is the capital of the NCR. At some point, the capital was moved, probably to a location that could sustain a larger population than the original Shady Sands. But, to maintain a sense of continuity, they named the new capital Shady Sands (Old Shady Sands was still around as a minor city with a historical plaque). It got nuked. With its central government destroyed the already overstretched and corrupt nation collapsed and broke down into regional governors / cattle baron fiefdoms. The fiefdoms further deteriorated because they began warring with their neighbors over limited resources, some becoming, essentially, raiders and others becoming city-state safe-havens. War never changes, back to the post-apocalyptic wasteland we know and love, etc. The dream of the NCR, of uniting these territories and bringing peace to the land once again is still alive in many people.

I haven't actually watched the show yet, but that's fine for me. Maybe I thought about it more than the showrunners though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Shady Sands is the capital of the NCR. At some point, the capital was moved, probably to a location that could sustain a larger population than the original Shady Sands. But, to maintain a sense of continuity, they named the new capital Shady Sands (Old Shady Sands was still around as a minor city with a historical plaque). It got nuked. With its central government destroyed the already overstretched and corrupt nation collapsed and broke down into regional governors / cattle baron fiefdoms. The fiefdoms further deteriorated because they began warring with their neighbors over limited resources, some becoming, essentially, raiders and others becoming city-state safe-havens. War never changes, back to the post-apocalyptic wasteland we know and love, etc. The dream of the NCR, of uniting these territories and bringing peace to the land once again is still alive in many people.

I haven't actually watched the show yet, but that's fine for me. Maybe I thought about it more than the showrunners though.

That's pretty much it. You even see a guy dressed like a cattle baron calling himself President.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Kind of interested in what the Legion is up to in the show continuity. It's been 15+ years since the NCR collapsed, have they been spreading west? I saw some guy on reddit suggest that since the Brotherhood decoration has a lot of red and gold and they all have names like Maximus, that maybe the Legion was absorbed by the Brotherhood, or vice versa

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The fact that people keep going "[exact textual reading of Bethesda-Fallout, like literally things characters say directly to the screen while staring into your eyes], but I'm thinking about it way more than Bethesda does" would be extremely hilarious if it wasn't so constant that I feel like I'm going insane.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Kind of interested in what the Legion is up to in the show continuity. It's been 15+ years since the NCR collapsed, have they been spreading west? I saw some guy on reddit suggest that since the Brotherhood decoration has a lot of red and gold and they all have names like Maximus, that maybe the Legion was absorbed by the Brotherhood, or vice versa

That would certainly be dialectical I suppose

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Todd. Todd never changes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"If war doesn't change, men must change, and so must their symbols. Even if it is nothing at all, know what you follow."

It's nice that under all his rambling and misguided accusations Ulysses can still make a good point. It reminds me of Kreia insisting that you actually think about your choices rather than blindly following an arbitrary morality system. If war never changes is the accepted axiom, then change the game.

Put down Fallout and go play something else with a different symbol (franchise logo). Because whatever comes after Hoover Dam will either be a world that isn't Fallout anymore, or the adage will stay true and we're hosed anyways.

Maybe lay off the symbolism, though, bud. Not everything needs to be couched in metaphors.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 17, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ive never played any of this games dlc, lol

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I figured since the best fallout game made since Bethesda got the rights wasn't made by Bethesda that they would just wave it away as not canon for the show, so I guess it getting jammed into the timely line is okay.

I liked the show.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

this was stated almost plainly, with the slightest bit of inference and deduction needed by the audience. i didn't even think it was a controversy lmao

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Even with The Kings, it took me 'til way too late in the game to connect Caesar's Legion to Caesar's Palace.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arbite posted:

Even with The Kings, it took me 'til way too late in the game to connect Caesar's Legion to Caesar's Palace.

Caesar's Legion predates any plans involving Vegas, they were going to be a bit part in original Fallout 3 then the main story of Fallout 4.

Though I was expecting Caesar's Legion to be based at Caesar's Palace before the game came out.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

this was stated almost plainly, with the slightest bit of inference and deduction needed by the audience. i didn't even think it was a controversy lmao

TBH I still don't get the timeline. When did Rose leave? Was she living in "fallen" Shady Sands, because it seemed pretty nice in the flashbacks?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh no, i see what's going on. you care about continuity between the show and the games. perhaps it may be more satisfying to recognize that due to the change of medium, some "soft retconning" is going to need to be employed.

it's a different universe than the game, heavily inspired by the game

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

oh no, i see what's going on. you care about continuity between the show and the games. perhaps it may be more satisfying to recognize that due to the change of medium, some "soft retconning" is going to need to be employed.

it's a different universe than the game, heavily inspired by the game

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

It's the opposite, I can't figure out how the show is continuitous with itself after they tossed one out to the deranged fanboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The expodump in the finale mentions that the protagonist's mother discovered Shady Sands because water was being siphoned from the vault. If the "fall of Shady Sands" was precipitated, as it were, by a drought, then that would fairly neatly reconcile the dates. Ravaged by thirst, the city was no longer fit for purpose as the NCR capital but limped along for a few more years until it was destroyed by Lucy's father in a fit of pique.

Funny fact related to the date controversy: in Twin Peaks: The Return, the last line in the show is spoken by Kyle MacLachlan: "What year is this?"