Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
You guys make this game sound so good, was thinking of waiting for GotY edition but now I don't know. Whats holding me back is that the game + all the DLCs cost like 70 euros on Steam. Is this game really worth that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It IS worth it, but if you don't mind waiting I can guarantee it will be on sale again at some point, probably as a GOTY edition. You will get PLENTY of value out of the game. I picked it up on sale because I didn't really feel much urge to get more of the same Fallout 3, which is what I was expecting, but I got so much more.

Well I bought it, was even wrong about the price, the game + DLCs was only 60 euros, not 70 :v: Anyway if this game really is a lot better than Fallout 3, which I also liked, that money should be well spent.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Avocadoes posted:

Please report some thoughts after you've been acquainted with it enough :)

I love this game! I haven't enjoyed RPG this much probably since games like BG2, Morrowind, Fallout 2, etc. There is so much to do, and so many choices to make, it really has the same spirit Fallout 2 had. Fallout 3 was a decent game, but to world and story were a bit bland and empty to me. Here I'm just itching to explore the world, and try to shape the world the way I want through the decisions you can make.

My only complaint is the combat. This real time/VATS combo still can't match the enjoyment of controlling your whole group in pure VATS combat. I really wish they would add that as an option for the next Fallout game. Also another thing is that things seem to die really easy. I have Boone and ED-E as companions, and everything seems to usually die before they even get close, even though I'm playing on hard difficulty. I'm only about level 15 and havent done any DLCs yet though, so maybe the fights get harder later.

Overall its a really awesome game, and any Fallout or RPG fan should really get this game if they don't have it yet!

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

antidote posted:

I would expect Fallout 4 within the next couple of years.

If the sales figures from eg. wikipedia are correct, I would expect that too. The problem is that it will probably be Bethesda again, and well after seeing what they do with the franchise I'm not all that excited. Best thing that could happen is an announcement that Obsidian has already been working on Fallout 4 using the Skyrim engine.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Just started new playthrough to try out Sawyer's mod etc. but I ran into something a bit disappointing. I noticed I could just keep running backwards and the gecko could never actually hit me while I was shooting at them just fine. So I was wondering if theres a mod to decrease backwards run speed because it feels pretty cheesy and I can't just stop myself from doing it. :effort:

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Project Nevada does that, among a great many other things

Thanks for the advice but that mod does a bit too much else as well. Managed to find slower backpedaling for F3 luckily though and convert it for NV. Now the geckos are killing my backpedaling rear end as they should.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Anyone know what caused this: Was clearing the Bison Hotel when I noticed someone shooting at the powder gangers from behind me, somehow a lone NCR trooper had found his way in. He then proceeded to clear pretty much the whole place with me. :aaa: Don't think it was any mod since I only got the community patch thing, Sawyer's mod and some graphics mods.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Speedball posted:

No-Bark Noonan, hands-down. Failing that, Tabitha!

No-Bark Noonan actually seems to be person most aware of whats going on in Novac, he just covers it behind all the random crazy talk.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Finished OWB for the first time and I gotta say it wasn't much fun. I loved the dialogue and setting, but the combat was just horrible. Got 70+ energy weapon skill and the +25% bonus dmg to robots perk and some of the robots still took around 10 shots to kill, while still killing me pretty fast. Kinda ruined the whole thing for me.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Servetus posted:

There's a quest, Bighorners of the Eastern Virgin, that goes a lot more smoothly if you can walk right through a herd of bighorners without a fight, and the quest records if you kill any of them, which makes it really difficult to do with a companion unless you have Animal Friend.

You really don't need the perk for that quest. You can still walk right next to them even without it, just don't stop there, and there a very clear sound notification as to how close they are to attacking you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

There's one sitting on the front desk at Hoover Dam that's pretty easy to spot.

Jacobstown one is right in front of you when you enter the hotel as well.