Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

Do attributes above 10 count for anything?

If you glitch agility over 10, it still affects the speed you draw and reload your weapon, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

JawKnee posted:

You can do this regardless of whether Charlie is hit by the Legion, so I doubt that it's the same person.

Once you're invited to the Fort, Charlie gets auto-raided whether or not you talk to Andy.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Chronojam posted:

There are lots of places you can clear out from what I recall. Kill the cazadors and/or raiders from an area, and honest folk might show up instead.

And in one case, kill the raiders and cazadores show up. loving terrified me when I fast traveled there.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

What skill checks should I keep in mind for Dead Money? I'm still only like level 14 so probably wont tackle it for another ten levels at most so I'd like to be prepared if I'm going to suffer through this.

You want 75 science or else ammo is going to be harder to come by.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

By all means. Willow's only use is that she comes with you into DLCs- cheat Dead Money by loading your signature weapon and armour onto her, for example.

If you're going to cheat, just use console commands. Why dance around it like that?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

This sure is a great discussion!

Another thing I only just discovered is that The Tops actually has a courtyard tucked away in the back with a pool and some trees. Not much to do there other than have a drink but it was a neat little area.

Another thing I always forget and rediscover is that the bars at Gomorrah sell turbo. Useful if you couldn't get the recipe.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Caesar's Legion: Yes, they ARE that stupid.

Fight and get killed by the Courier, or run and get killed by their centurion. Kind of a no win for them.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Speaking of, I'm almost level 20 now...what would be some good skill levels to have before doing dead money?

If you don't have 75 science, ammo is going to be hard to come by.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fereydun posted:

true...

on the other hand, all it took was putting a thing on the bomb and then pressing a big red button to make it explode

also your dad will somehow hear about your actions via dad magic so there's your reactivity I guess

And if you do disarm it he thinks you're great, even though he's been to Megaton at least twice and never did it himself.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fuzz1138 posted:

Maybe it's because I had not played Fallout 3 before this and so I was unfamiliar with what you can be capable of even at early levels, but the first time I walked into Nipton, my reaction was "poo poo, I'm really outnumbered, it would probably be pretty stupid not to play along with these guys." Not so much "this injustice shall not stand, I must kill you all now."

For me the transition between Fallout 3 and NV was brutal because of how different Damage Resistance and Damage Threshold are. In 3, an enemy with 10 DR just takes an extra bullet or two to kill with an early game gun. In NV an enemy with 10 DT literally takes 1-2 damage per bullet with an early game gun.

Those Legionaries in Nipton were the first enemies I met that outclassed my damage completely, since on my first playthrough I kept that varmint rifle way longer than I should have.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Are there any corpses around? I think seeing an allied corpse instantly puts a mob in [cautious].

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

I guess I missed that. Either way he needs raw materials for the factory lines and I'm pretty sure securotrons aren't good miners.

Frankly it's a miracle you survived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXZZr_rqdTc

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

OK so what level should I be to visit Hidden Valley? Road in is crawling with Deathclaws so much higher than 16?

Least optimal play through ever. I'm sure I missed EZ xp gathering early quests.

You shouldn't have to fight Deathclaws to get there. Just go the cliffs east of Sloan, or head north from NCRCF.

DeathChicken posted:

I had honestly forgotten how much I like the end of Dead Money, how hectic that last escape bit is, and then you suddenly wind up with Vera's hologram back in utter quiet. That's well done.

I had also forgotten how much I hate the enemies in Old World Blues. I love the characters, but navigating anywhere is a never ending wave of laser assholes and dogs eating your face.

I loved Vera/Christine's final message after it was all over. Then you smash the radio because gently caress that place.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For certain ammo, the Hand Loader variant is strictly better than the normal--unlike, say, Hollow Points which are only situationally better. For those ones, just disassemble all the normal ones and the occasional scrap metal and make as many as you can, no thinking required.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If you don't choose any of those dialog options, does that mean you're straight or closeted?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Even without Hand Loader, you can use it to convert ammo from one type to another if they're in the same "family", which is pretty useful in early/mid game before you have access to all the shops.

For example, as soon as you pick up Lucky in Primm, you could breakdown all your 9mm and other small guns ammo to turn all those .357 cases you'll be accumulating back into ammo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't immediately recognize those areas. Is that the northern pass into Zion?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ah, the place I never have the energy to explore!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think someone on the nearby ranger station adds it to your map, but by that point in the game, I'm not really in explore caves and ruins mode. I'd rather do more story quests.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm just about done with Dead Money. Then I go back to the Mojave, shoot everybody until they all hate me, lay low at the Divide where I nuke them all, then go back and get my pardons and deal with Hoover Dam however I please.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So I started my new game yesterday and ended up playing for four straight hours. This game still has it. I’m at the Repconn factory now, which is pretty much the only part of the game that doesn’t really work for me. I can’t put my finger on why. I think it’s just so long with a lot of combat. I can never bring myself to skip it though.

It's pretty bad yeah. Because first it's a combat zone on the ground floor. Then it's basically a combat zone in the basement, because who can be assed to sneak down to the dungeon? Shooting Harland is actually now my preferred method just to speed things up. Then its not one, but two fetch quests in rapid succession.

So it's basically the two most boring components of the game, doubled.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

aniviron posted:

I always look forward to REPCONN, but maybe it's because I like energy weapons and the dead Bright followers have the good poo poo on them. Definitely agreed that the fetch quest parts and the extensive backtracking through the facility are not great though; but easy enough to minimize if you know they're going to happen.

And it's easy to skip if you don't care. (thanks for the poor computer security Manny!)

Hacking is unethical. Flirt with him, you coward.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Getting ready to hit that Lonesome Road. See the Divide. See what happened.

What weapon should I take with me on my trail of carnage?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Trail Carbine, obviously.

Maybe. It's one of the guns I never use.

Malpais Legate posted:

Maria. A second chance for that gun to put a courier in a grave and make 'em stay there.

A versatile sidearm

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Lonesome Road was awesome. The Divide looked like what the DC ruins wanted to look like, completely bombed out buldings, all slanted and askewed, with seamless transitions from cave to ruin to outside world.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

The first few times I played through Dead Money I had very similar complaints; the villa being a pain to navigate, the weapons being sub-par unless you came pre-built, the collar bomb. But really, the more that I've played the more I can appreciate what they were trying to do with that stuff (and it doesn't hurt that as I've played multiple runs of New Vegas at this point my courier tends to be built "right" since I want to use the Protonic Inversal Axe anyway and don't need to be optimized for damage perks so I can grab Light Step and so on).

The things that irritate me about Dead Money now are little bits like having to jog back to the fountain through the villa again after starting the Gala and how easy it is to miss things like Dean's full backstory.

I like the return to the Fountain after the Gala. Sometimes I do what the graffiti says and run run run. Sometimes I meticulously kill every single Ghost Person in my way. It's fun.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

aniviron posted:

One of my personal gripes with New Vegas combat encounters is when the game decides that it's just going to spawn enemies behind you when you hit a certain trigger; the base game at least saves this for areas that are supposed to be very difficult, unfair, etc. Old World Blues does this at almost every single goddamn location though, and I hate it so very much.

There's a few "fun" encounters that trigger when you activate an object that you can drag using z. You can set it up so you get the drop on them instead of the other way around.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I like how most of the Khan are called stuff like Jerry, Melissa or Jessup, and then you got this motherfucker named Bitter-Root coming in out of nowhere.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There's only one reason not to swear fealty to Caesar's Legion and it's BY ORDER OF CAESAR, ALL VISITORS MUST DISARM AND RELINQUISH ALL BANNED ITEMS

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

That's why you keep him alive. So he can sit at the canyon wreckage for the rest of his life shooting tunnelers.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

But which House would President Kimball be Sorted into

Hufflepuff. Because I kinda forgot he existed.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've played with low level mods enough that sometimes it's just nice to be murder-king of the wasteland though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Broken Box posted:

Not canon; didn't blow his head off.

Look it this guy, not stalking him from a distance, watching him slowly get stung to death by radscorpions.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Lonesome Road rules. Going into a cave, through a cave made out of buildings and ending up on a rooftop is awesome. Tilting the floor 5 degrees to make things actually bombed out is cool. Walking into Ulysses's Temple with Eyebots wizzing overhead and a warhead emerging from the ground is badass.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Everyone who touched the Sierra Madre had a cursed life. Sinclair, Vera, Dean, Dog, Christine, Elijah.

Ulysses had it right. He was willing to excavate the radioactive wastes of the Divide, but only an idiot would ever go to the Sierra Madre.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

A barrel full of Turbo never hurts either.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Different game, but I have never tagged big guns in Fallout 1/2. There's like only 3 of them in 1 and 2 is only marginally better.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Did you all have a different Temple of Trials than I did? I've been hearing people say this for 22 years, but every time I re-play Fallout 2 I'm outta' there in like four minutes.

If you're trying to kill everything, it's a total slog, even with unarmed or melee tagged. Personally, I also have an obsession with disarming every floor plate. Klamath can wait.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Or you could just shoot her yourself. Cut out the middle man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

rope kid posted:

Vault 11 was more about a linear narrative experience. The hardest part of it (IIRC) was scripting the ending slides + reveal. Everything else was just planning and good storytelling.

How much care was put into where each propaganda poster appeared and in what frequency? Because I seem to recall that the first time I played it, the holotape I was listening to and the wall I was staring at made everything click in a big HOLY poo poo kind of way all at once.