Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lonesome road kinda sucks to play imo but i really like the dialogue segments and ed-e is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

imagine 4 intelligence points balancing on a cliff

watho
Aug 2, 2013

well that loving sucks

watho
Aug 2, 2013

:stonklol:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Alpha Protocol 2 please.

don’t tease me like this

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Keith Atherton posted:

Mines and traps are great but unless you’re on a replay there aren’t many places where you know enemies are coming and where they’re coming from

you learn where they come from after they kill you and force you to reload tho

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the outer worlds is very good but don’t expect Fallout New Vegas 2. it’s a lot smaller in scope and more overtly satirical, for better or worse. there’s not nearly as much exploration to do and the world is a collection of unconnected areas you travel between instead of one big world.

the only thing i really dislike about it is that the perks are all really boring. it has this cool system where you can chose to take an xcom style injury but in return get a perk point which is entirely held back by the fact that a perk generally isn’t worth the permanent albeit situation debuff.

it’s a very contentious game among goons but i had a blast with it. i won’t keep coming back to it like FNV but i only need one FNV in my life

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i remember a post about how stutter remover was a way better mod than tick fix and isn’t hard to get working with windows 10 but i can’t find it anywhere

watho
Aug 2, 2013

gonna assume it’s an obscure modding scene copypasta then

watho
Aug 2, 2013

there’s also a slightly jank but fully functional transmog mod

Cosmetic Wardrobe

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’m not saying Mao Zedong was a gamer. that would be ludicrous. i’m simply saying that if games had existed at the time,

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i like ulysses but he’s also a character that had so much buildup that it’s hard for anyone to live up to that. it’s a shame that we didn’t get him in either of his previous intended roles but i can still appreciate him for what he is

watho
Aug 2, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Also LR made ED-E an actual character worth caring about.

someone here posted that ED-E’s ending was too obvious and i can’t really argue with that but at the same time the way the additional animations just give that li’l guy so much character and i cant help but to care for him

watho
Aug 2, 2013

looked just a single cross to me?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

“new vegas was purposefully not QA’d properly to screw obsidian out of a bonus (possibly to put them in a bad financial spot to be able to purchase the company)” is a compelling narrative but entirely built on speculation by people who have no connection to bethesda or obsidian. the more reasonable explanation is just the boring one that it was a very big game made in a very short time and entirely consistent with most other games by obsidian or bethesda at the time. bethesda has done plenty of sketchy and unethical things that are documented and verified, you don’t need to make up some supervillain plan to get mad at them for

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Thats Zoe Bell so it's cool and good actually.

:hai:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Quarry Junction is an end-game location.

Also you can use sniper weapons and exploit the AI. It's a quarry so there's plenty of verticality.

isn’t there even a minimum level until you can get the quest to clear it out?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

should be stated that the deathclaw invasion of the quarry was very recent as it was a direct result of the uprising in the NCRCF

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the universal truth of any post-apocalypse is that all roving gangs are just waiting for an excuse to start cosplaying

watho
Aug 2, 2013

love victoria a lot great character great companion great quest and a really good way of getting the player to the bunker. big fan that two of the companions are openly gay, shame about the voice actor for the other one but you can’t win ‘em all

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i do think veronica’s demeanor works with her backstory and her naïveté thinking she can get the elder to change his ways. obviously the line is fine but playing her more cynical would make her quest a lot less impactful.

and yeah agreed on boone, his totally epic stoic demeanor and comically edgy backstory is just too much and i don’t like it.

also the fun thing about cass is her direct relationship to fallout 2

watho
Aug 2, 2013

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the problem, imo, isn’t that bethesda used the brotherhood of steel “wrong” it’s that they used them boringly. it’s extremely disingenuous to say that bethesda didn’t understand what the brotherhood was. considering that the outcasts exists they clearly knew that their version of the brotherhood was a departure from the original games. this in and of itself is fine. it’s just that they used this setup to do nothing interesting at all.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Upon further contemplation, i think original BoS are radical hoxhaists. Has anybody seen them outside of a bunker?

fallout 1 bos are neoconservatives
fallout 2 bos are postfascists
fallout van buren bos we’re gonna be maoists
fallout 3 neoneoliberals

watho
Aug 2, 2013

what the gently caress are you even trying to say

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Rappaport posted:

That I disagree with the ideation of a theme being present where the Brotherhood doesn't comprehend the scientific method,

okay good for you literally nobody is arguing that

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i tend to use the followers safe house because i just really like the followers and it’s not too hard to get to

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i think the ending to beyond the beef where you make mortimer think you served the kid and then parade him out in the dining room is one of my favorite parts of the game

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Kiwi lady is Zoë Bell.

in this house we stan zoë bell :hai:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

There is a reason I chose Zoe as my new name and it was mainly to keep continuity to having a Z name and because I could make a big reach on how my transness was connected to Fallout New Vegas.

The legal name isn't going to have the umlauts though

i just like violent movies :)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

genuinely happy for you tho, it's a nice name!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i mean calling gojira "cut content" is really pushing it considering afaik it was never intended to be in the game and just something one of the devs did for fun

watho
Aug 2, 2013

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Welcome. To. Josh Sawyer’s Varmint. Challenge.
I am. Sawyer.
Please select. The caliber. Of. Your rifle.

lmfao

watho
Aug 2, 2013

but yeah, the whole idea of cut content restorations is quite the mine field because on one hand you have stuff like in new vegas where content had to be removed to make room for the expansions and such. but on the other hand some poo poo was cut for a reason, or in the worst cases it wasn't even there to begin with and someone just projected some intentions on the designers and decided to restore that

all that said, gojira should definitely have been in the game

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Fallout is up there with Earthbound in having a vocal minority of fans who have never played the games; 1 and 2 specifically.

hey, i've played like a solid third of earthbound

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the brotherhood of steel definitely fit the label of post-maoist better than anything else, while i'd more say the legion are closer to neo anarcho-monarchists. at least caesar himself, the legate is more of an anarcho-neo-monarchist but i know how tedious the discussion of distinction between those two have gotten at this point

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh jay posted:

I love Ulysses' final speech tree. So many ways to succeed and fail.

It's like what they wanted with Lanius, but actually good.

one of my big problems with new vegas is how easy it is to talk lanius down. don't need to find information to build a case with and you can't say the wrong thing loving it up

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Twobirds posted:

I mean, I'm not putting 100 skill points into Speech because I don't want to use it in the final battle.

Tim Cain made a good point in his videos - yeah, you can speech check the Master into killing himself in Fallout 1, but you need to do a big quest in order to do so. I think it would have been neat to plant seeds of doubt into Caesar's intelligence network that you can exploit with Lanius when you confront him (Speech or Barter or whatever), but it might have needed to be another explicit layer of 'things to do' in an already pretty busy game.

one of my favorite recent(ish) things like that in an RPG was wasteland 3 where your companions could have allegiances with the person or people you choose to oppose at the end. but for at least one if you go out of the way and show them enough evidence that things really aren't what they seem throughout the game you can convince them to follow you to the end.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

It's been 25 friggin' years since Fallout 2 and I'm still a little pissed that sapient Deathclaws are non-canon.

haven't a lot of the people who came up with them talked about how they regret it and it was a bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

talking deathclaws? no, regrets!