Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jerusalem posted:

It just feels right that Vegas should be independent, it feels like a Vegas thing to do/be.

Vegas isn't Vegas if it's not run by ruthless mobsters. And by process of elimination, I'm the biggest mob around. :black101: :gibs:

And I, too, just recently discovered Vault 11, completely randomly while exploring on a new playthrough. That's pretty hosed up. I actually slightly misjudged the Shocking Twist at the end; I was expecting it to exile you or be some big test of courage without actually killing you, so I was still sitting in the chair with about 15 HP left when the movie ended.

I've also found that Max Charge cells in the YCS/186 makes me a happy energy weapons user, albeit one with a crippling weapon repair kit addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, King is the most chill sonuvabitch, even when you bring up what a oval office Pacer is, he's pretty much,"Yeah that's true but I can't blame him and he's a good buddy to me :)"

Plus he's so happy when you bring Rex back :unsmith:

The King is the most goony sonuvabitch, he sits around running his little cosplay kingdom while all his buddies gently caress everything up without him realizing it. I went in really trying to like him, but he's just so loving thick that I took his dog and never came back.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CJacobs posted:

Or you can take it the way I interpreted it: You passed out because the spaceship crash site was just too much for you to handle, and all the poo poo that happens in Zeta was actually a really long-winded dream/hallucination. Keeping the stuff you get during the DLC is just the +1 IMG (imagination) perk you get from the dream when it's over!

Somewhere deep down I wish that was the actual canon explanation for Zeta. :unsmith:

I thought the alienspeak sounded vaguely Chinese, so I pretend that the aliens are just a whacked out Chinese genetic engineering experiment (and, uh, flying saucer experiment) gone horribly wrong.

And at least Zeta had sweet energy weapons and some cool set pieces. Point Lookout was absurd bullet sponges and swamp that left me with absolutely nothing worthwhile at the end of it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

poptart_fairy posted:

Yet a number of them did resist, making his comment about leaving if they'd fought back utter horseshit. :v:

Yeah, if you actually look through the houses and stuff you realize that lots of people were resisting. There's blood and bodies and one or two dead legionnaires.

The whole "Legion must be brutal and pitiless in order to survive in the wasteland" philosophy also rings kind of hollow when they're up against numerous other viable organizations that, while having their own flaws (except for the Glorious Wingnut's Invincible Juche Securitron Army), get roughly the same results without all the rapey torture slavery.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

You can definitely do this, light armour like Sierra Madre Security and Josh Graham's give you high DT on light armour. You'll want to hook up guns or energy weapons for killing stuff like Deathclaws though. Maybe incorporate guns and be a sniper ninja?

My usual strategy for unarmed/melee characters is to pump up explosives as my secondary weapon skill. Most enemies can be bludgeoned or stabbed to death, and the tougher or more dangerous ones can be showered in carefully hoarded high explosives. And it just feels thematically appropriate for a big, thick punchy type to also like things that go boom.

Sniper ninja is cool too, though. The stealth system is kind of poo poo for close-in work, but it's very effective for sneaking up on the edge of a camp and sniping it clean with sneak crits.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

closeted republican posted:

In my current Energy Weapons run, the NCR guy that gives you the emergency radio spawned when I was cleaning out Vault 3. Imagine my surprise when I see the Fiends getting their asses kicked by somebody I've never seen before. He finished off the Fiends attacking him, ran over, gave me the radio, and left like nothing happened.

That dipshit who follows you to tell you about blue star bottlecaps always shows up in terrible places. One time he catches me in the middle of a fight with a pack of fiends with grenade launchers. That went poorly. Just recently I was heading into the Repconn test site, aiming at a pack of ghouls running towards me, when suddenly everything freezes and he runs in front of me, stands directly in front of the ghouls, and starts blathering about those stupid loving bottlecaps. So, uh, yeah, I kinda had to shoot my way through him to get to the ghouls. Brilliant.

Wooph posted:

What are everyone's experiences with shotguns? How do they compare with other weapon categories at end game? How do you deal with high DT targets? The stats on the wiki look a little underwhelming, but maybe I'm missing something here.

Shotgun Surgeon perk with high-damage slugs (plus And Stay Back to make things easier). Not quite as good as the best armor-piercing options, but they definitely hold up pretty well.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
With Elijah's Advanced LAER and Max Charge ammo, you can practically hear the gun crying in pain with every shot. That gun was what prompted me to bind weapon repair kits to a number key, you can go through one or two after every decent-sized firefight.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Elendil004 posted:

I never plan on returning to DM, anything I should make sure I dont miss?

The only thing that I really care about from DM is the vending machine code for weapon repair kits. They're only 20 chips each, so it's pretty much an infinite supply of kits. Boom, now you don't have to carry around 30 pounds of scrap metal and electronics, wonderglue, and wrenches looking for one more roll of duct tape. And you can get it on top of a cabinet in the police station at the very start of the DLC.

Wolfsheim posted:

There's actually a pretty significant amount of stuff to find: vending machine codes, Dean's secret stashes, Sierra Madre cards, and little bits of history.

None of that stuff is very interesting though, aside from the history logs. Dean's stashes are some ammo and stimpacks and maybe a lovely gun or two. Useful when you come across them, but not worth hunting down. I'd agree that the effort/reward ratio of tediously searching for all that stuff in DM is pretty bad relative to other DLC's. Considering how every other DLC leaves you with some cool, useful toys at the end, DM is kind of disappointing with its crappy weapons (aside from the decent holorifle) and unremarkable armor.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I just finished Honest Hearts and did not like it very much, not nearly as much as Dead Money in any case. The story was just really boring and the moral dilemma didn't grab me at all. I thought it was a complete nobrainer to side with Joshua and help the tribals defend their home, especially after reading the survivalist journals. I thought the downside was going to have to do with his self-righteous bloodthirstiness, but luckily I was able to cure him of that trait at the end, so win-win all around.

Why cure him? I found it even less of a moral dilemma, since the White Legs are all a bunch of inveterate dickheads, so I was pretty much like "meh, you probably shouldn't have pissed off the crazy burned mummy guy with the kickass .45 pistol. Welcome to post-apocalyptia, reap what ye sow, etc etc".

The ending slides try and guilt trip you a little, talking about how the Sorrows and Dead Horses don't get along all nicey nice, but gently caress if I can stick around for all eternity helping them with each and every problem. I gave them their chance, what they do with it is up to them.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think the best part of OWB was that everything had some sort of severe personality disorder, even the loot.

I wish the K9000 wasn't such a crappy gun, it's really adorable.

On a similar note, did I completely miss the power of the Holorifle, or are the enemies in Dead Money just terrible bullet sponges? I was never very impressed with it running through the DLC because it took two or three shots, minimum, to kill anything, but once I got back to the Real World, I used it to wipe out the Legion Fort by one-shotting Praetorians in the head.

I wouldn't be surprised, Dead Money enemies are a general pain in the rear end anyway. They twitch and jump around so much that you can hardly hit them outside of VATS. It's like they're made of paper. Really, really tough bulletproof paper.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Bash Ironfist posted:

Is courier's cache that good? I don't have that or DM, considering getting one of them later this month.

It's two frickin' bucks, and it makes starting new characters a lot less of a pain in the rear end. If you ever plan on making a new character I'd say it's worth it. I just threw it in when I bought GRA and Lonesome Road.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Hah. So I'm running through the NCR quest line and doing a lot of sidequests along the way. I get to the point where they ask me to go kill Mr. House. I go up, talk to the guy just to see what he has to say, and he blows through like four quests based on stuff I've already done. As soon as he finishes talking, I simultaneously receive and fail "Don't Tread On The Bear!", locking me out of the NCR line. Hurf.

Bash Ironfist posted:

So I have HH, OWB, and LR. I played through HH and disliked it. If I disliked that, would I like DM? I get some money at the beginning of next month, and I'm trying to choose what to buy with my fun budget. Is DM a must-have dlc?

It really depends on what you like; Dead Money is probably the most unique and unusual DLC. It's got a very different tone from anything else, with the survival horror and exploration elements. If you like exploring the plot through journals and logs after a disaster, in the System-/Bioshock style, it's great. If you like visually interesting settings, fun combat, and cool weapons, it's kinda poo poo.

If you're on the fence, wait for a sale. For $5 you'll definitely find something worthwhile in it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

New Vegas Theory #5:

Using Yes-Man to take over New Vegas leads to his software being upgraded to "No-Man" (as in, "No Man", aka Robot.)

That would be an awesome Ulysses/Odyssey reference too.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

In the next Fallout game the Sink Toaster should be salvaged by ne'er do wells and installed into a colossal robot death machine.

I want to find a death ray that's constantly frustrated by its inability to make toast without vaporizing the bread and the entire building that it's in. If only there was a robot out there with a more modest power supply that he could swap with...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I fired up New Vegas last weekend on a whim, and damned if it hasn't thoroughly sucked me back in. I started off on my old level 47 "awesome at everything, done everything" save file, but now I've built a new character with Logan's Loophole focused on energy weapons and that's been a ton of fun. I don't think I've ever had as much fun revisiting an old game. And I haven't even gotten heavily into mods.

Zodium posted:

More Boom

I'll have to give that a try; I've had a few characters where I try to do some explosives specialization, but it always kinda gets overlooked in the end.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Theta Zero posted:

You mean with how almost all of the buildings are cramped and claustrophobic? The overworld is pretty open with a lot of high ground to take advantage of.

Yeah, but it also loves to spawn roboscorpions right on top of you every time you exit a building after finishing a quest stage. That gets pretty old as a sniper.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Seashell Salesman posted:

Bomb collars and ghost people are the entire point of DM. They wanted to make players actually scared and stressed, which is basically impossible with regular man-shoots.

Supposedly when they set the ghost people perception to zero with the intention of making them easy to sneak past, it actually gave them infinite perception that makes it impossible to sneak past. So I installed a mod to fix that, and was able to sneak past them just fine. Up until Dean charged in with guns blazing. :sigh:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Seashell Salesman posted:

I always just blast the ghost people in V.A.T.S. because, despite Chris Avellone's attempts, the more efficient way to deal with them is just to V.A.T.S. headshot them all. Not to mention that the game gives you several weapons which are great for this purpose right away: the police pistol, the holorifle, and the bear trap fist. Even with no points invested into weapon skills you can easily kill the ghost people in V.A.T.S with those things because the ranges in the DLC are super short and the ghost people attack animations and AI are so simple/exploitable.

Yeah, I don't know if their twitchy, jerky, zero-momentum animation is part of the "design" to make them harder (more annoying) to fight, but it really encourages VATS headshots.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Every time I play Lonesome Road it's a struggle to do anything other than lob .50MG rounds through Ulysses' skull as soon as I enter the room. He's just such a pretentious, self-important, sanctimonious rear end in every single interaction that he completely bottoms out the sympathy meter. I tried the "talk him down" method once or twice, but since that doesn't really change your options afterwards, it's right back to instant murder.

e: I've never tried a genocide run through Honest Hearts, I think I'll give that a shot on my next play through. Last time I went with the evacuate Zion option, and then Daniel yelled at me for "letting [the Sorrows] die". I don't know if I missed some extra objective on the way to the final fight, or if he was talking about all of the dipshit NPCs that were making war club suicide charges on White Legs armed with flamethrowers and assault rifles. gently caress you, Daniel.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 13, 2015

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

popewiles posted:

if there was something more vulnerable to take care of the gameplay would have more of a sense of urgency.

As if I wouldn't end up with an entire town of demigods wearing power armor and gauss rifles, ready to steamroll over the rest of the world at my command. :v:

In all seriousness, it sounds cool if implemented well, and definitely fits in with Bethesda's desire to add more "living world" aspects to their games.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Arcsquad12 posted:

The laid back feel of OWB clashes with the ambush mobs and the bullet sponge ROBOSCORPIONS.

The enemies do kind of feel like they were just thrown in so you would have something to do with your weapons while wandering around.

If Honest Hearts and Dead Money are about the atmosphere and story line, then OWB is about the characters and really good writing (and tons of skill check options). It's definitely different, in terms of tone and gameplay structure, but I like it for the variety. I can see why you'd find it lacking if you were hoping for more like DM and HH.

For replay value, Dead Money becomes a real slog with a lot of unlikeable characters after a few times through. Honest Hearts is at least pretty enough that it's enjoyable to replay. OWB has a lot more flexibility on what to focus on, and how much to focus on. If you just want to unlock the area and pick up a LAER, you can be in and out very quickly while leaving the majority of the content for later. That's probably also why it feels like a hodgepodge of disparate elements.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I really need to try a pro-Legion game at some point. I've never done one just because they're such stupendous dickheads, but I could imagine an argument that, in the grim darkness of the post-nuclear future, theirs is the only path with the strength and resolve necessary to forge a lasting new civilization. Dunno if anyone actually makes that argument in game.

Maybe a high-unarmed, high-STR, ballistic fist-toting Praetorian fanboy character. I could combine it with a low-INT run, which I've also never done.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people in this thread hold that anybody who acts with hostile suspicion towards the Courier is a threat towards the wasteland, and subsequently see nothing wrong with wiping out those groups and completely justifying those suspicions.

Well maybe the lesson is that if you're going to be hostile to such a person, you better damned well be ready to finish the job. :colbert:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I used to hate the Boomers because of their shoot first policy, but the BoS basically do the same thing and they seem to get a lot less hate for it

I don't understand that either. You knock on their door and they bust out and tell you to hand over all your poo poo. If you say no, they immediately attack you. Not even a chance to just walk away. And then if I just defend myself from these psychos, I constantly lose karma for it.The only reason to play nice is to get power armor training, but power armor is so watered down in NV that I usually just burn them all for the crime of being egregious assholes.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I have a soft spot for the lever-action shotgun. It's simple, compact, efficient, reasonably powerful, and you can acquire it relatively early. Only real downside is the reloading. Shotguns in general get a wide variety of ammo and some great perks. I just wish there were more of them; a unique lever-action would be really sweet.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

2house2fly posted:

the very first Thing You Didn't Know About Fallout New Vegas was that it takes place in 2281.

On that note, while I'm sure it's been discussed plenty before, it still bugs me to no end that after 200+ years, people can't be assed to so much as sweep the floor and get rid of all the burned, useless books lying around their homes and workplaces. Nobody has put on a fresh coat of paint, moved the rusted cars out of the way, nothing. poo poo, apparently nobody has even built any new structures in the entire Mojave other than shacks made of scavenged tin. Even Fallout 1 had more new development than that. Adobe isn't particularly hard to manufacture.

It's like if the White House was still a burned-out husk two centuries after the British torched it during the war of 1812, with people just going about their business under a hastily raised tarp. I get that it's tough recovering from a nuclear holocaust, but the 200 year figure is just absolutely insane.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Gyshall posted:

Stuffing Elijah full of gold and carrying his body

although the point of the gold bars is that you're only supposed to be able to take a few, you goons DIDNT YOU LEARN ANYTHING FROM THE STORY

My wealth is built, both literally and figuratively, on the corpses of those who oppose me.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

popewiles posted:

Someone was perplexed that the confirmed bachelor perk didn't give him unique alpha male dialogue to use with his bro Boone but rather, Mojave dudes were coming onto him.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/why-do-all-these-homosexuals-keep-sucking-my-cock,10861/

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Personally, I just pretend that the environment (especially the Capitol Wasteland) is only a few years after the bombs, and it just happens to be inhabited by centuries-old civilizations. Because, uh, wizards radiation did it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Everything was downhill after Wasteland, dag-nabbit. :corsair:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

He also responds differently to a low intelligence character which the game really needed more of.

I loved being able to ask to buy a potted plant at the medical center that sells implants. It's more like you're a Forrest Gump character that just misunderstands everything, rather than the barely-sentient pile of meat that 1 int got you in FO1 and 2.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wolfsheim posted:

It weirds me out that your courier looks almost exactly like my dad, except wearing a party hat and being followed by a mutant assassin grandma.

I love the implication that your dad does have an Eyebot.

Mierenneuker posted:

getting a shitload of weapon repair kits

Ding ding. Gold is nice and all, but money is easy enough to get in plenty of ways. Being able to repair the most obscure weapon types for free, without having to constantly hoard 50 pounds of glue, wrenches, etc, is the real lasting reward of Dead Money.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Starhawk64 posted:

Does anyone actually use mines as a weapon? Seems easier just to shoot enemies in the face with a gun or energy weapon.

Pretty much the only place I'll routinely use them is clearing out Caesar's tent or similar scenarios with a lot of melee enemies. Set up a mine track outside, pop your head inside, then run around leading a train of exploding praetorian guards.

Also, for light step, it's fantastic until you have a companion with you. I'll be running through a Dead Money section while Dean or Christine trails behind in an ongoing disaster of mines and bomb traps exploding.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Most people take it to cap things at level 30, when enemies aren't bullet sponges and you have just enough levels to be an interesting, well-rounded character rather than being an undifferentiated blob of maxed out skills. The drug things is kind of a neat quirk to have on the side.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Solid Poopsnake posted:

As other posters have commented, DM is fantastic in terms of writing, characters, dialogue, atmosphere, and plot. The game mechanics are infuriating to me, however, so I cheated through most of the actual gameplay. Do it really early and consider it a standalone survival horror game in the Fallout universe.

Yeah, this would basically be my take on it. Great story, interesting setting, but bogged down by some really lovely gameplay, and other than the holorifle the weapons are kinda lackluster. The cloud mechanics aren't really difficult, though I think it does detract from and discourages the exploration that you need to flesh out the story. But it's absolutely worth playing through at least once, just like all the other NV DLCs.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

steinrokkan posted:

DM is like a sandbox compared to the tired linear progression of the OWB.

That's an interesting take on it, since I would describe it exactly the opposite. DM restricts you to pretty much one "objective set" and one area in a linear sequence; gather the team -> distribute the team -> deal with the team in the casino -> deal with Elijah. You have some choice in the precise order you deal with team mates, but there's still a very defined, set progression. In OWB, you get kicked out into the crater with objectives and accessible areas all around you, and there's a lot more freedom in where you go and what you do. The force fields don't really restrict you from visiting entire areas, they just unlock additional parts of the areas you've already been to. I've always thought of OWB as the most open, sandboxiest of the DLCs.

I totally agree that running through the same "test chambers" over and over with slight variations gets really dull. That's probably one of the weakest aspects of the DLC.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

OldMemes posted:

there's about five ways you can deal with Benny, for example.

Technically correct, but for some strange reason I never want to do anything other than "stealth boy + grenade in pants".

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Unarmed + Logan's Loophole is the canon playthrough of this game. :colbert:

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Lurdiak posted:

They may be wrong-headed paranoid isolationists, but they ain't hurting nobody.

If someone's first act upon meeting me is to try and strap a bomb to my neck, then he and all his rear end in a top hat friends get the plasma rifle to the face treatment. After that they very definitely ain't hurting nobody.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

DeathChicken posted:

I don't think I've ever played a super low Intelligence character in this game before. Do they rewrite the whole thing to accommodate you like in the older Fallouts?

Sulik: Some people have evil spirits. You, you have stupid spirits.

In addition to what was already mentioned, 1 INT is also less dramatic than in previous Fallouts. It's more like a Forrest Gump character who's simple minded and doesn't understand things well, rather than a completely incoherent caveman. I think it's generally a little more interesting that way, in that you still get some funny moments but you aren't limited to "*grunt, point*" as all of your dialog options. That being said, yeah, it doesn't change a whole lot. And it tanks your skill point gain which is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well, you're wrong, but I respect your opinion.

Source

All I can think of is how much of a "gently caress you" it must be to scavenge a left-handed bolt action. At least for 90% of the population.