Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
The thing that weirded me out the most about the undercover cop story was how the tone of the piece was pretty upbeat sounding for the most part. I thought it was going to have a wacky ending that I was trying to predict the whole time but nope, turns out they just hosed up the kid's life is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
My standards for food are pretty low because the whole time I was listening I was like "drat I could go for some calamari/pig-rear end in a top hat right now".

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I found the ASMR story interesting because that's kind of what I experienced and that story is pretty common to people who stumble upon ASMR. Ever since I was a kid I got that weird sensation in bizarre circumstances. I'd be in the library and the kid next to me would just be writing quietly and my scalp would get all tingly and I'd feel really relaxed and euphoric.

I never thought much about it until I was an adult and figured "well that's kind of insane and something must be wrong with me because I have never heard anyone else describe this". Finding out that tons of other people experience the same thing from similarly bizarre triggers was pretty goddamned mind blowing.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
They only keep the most recent episode online in the podcast feed, so what you're seeing is normal. Well I dunno about the deleting thing, that's something with your podcast app.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I understand the criticisms of Planet Money and their relationship with their sponsors but I don't think this episode suffers for it particularly. It was a good episode.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
That was possibly one of the most boring episodes of TAL I've heard in a while. At first I was like "the mom is crazy, surely these topics can be interesting in the right circumstances and her rules are really arbitrary", but by the end I was on her side. The "health problems" and "dream analysis" were painful ("you know how you find these subjects uninteresting? Here's people talking about them to an absurd degree! Interesting, right!?").

The story about the dog at the dinner party was kind of funny, and piece about the father and son driving was interesting and touching as well. I would have liked those bits in the context of a better episode.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

UltraRed posted:

Wait, what? When I was listening to this I had the exact opposite impression. I thought she would be struggling against her upbringing and her desire to live her how she chooses. Instead they spin the entire thing as her husbands' fault? They obviously had a bad marriage and a contentious divorce. Marry someone else and get on with your life. A preacher man says you need a piece of paper from a guy who wants nothing to do with you? Get a new preacher man? Your friends will shun you if you do? Then who's at fault here, your ex or your lovely friends who'll ditch you because you decided to get on with your life instead of your lovely ex?

I think you're underestimating how important this sort of thing is in her religious community and that if she were to get married without resolving it she'd have to abandon that community completely. If her religion (and her social ties to the people/family within her religion) is important to her then this isn't a trivial thing.

Also her husband is being a huge dick for no reason. He knows that this fucks her over and is intentionally leaving her in limbo so he can try to extort things from her. It's absolutely his fault.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

C-Euro posted:

The recent Radiolab was a semi-plug for a new book by Jad's brother-in-law so maybe it's an NPR thing in general?

And that sick metal track at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Yeah I found myself kind of conflicted about the taxation part. I'm a pretty big proponent of public schools and I kind roll my eyes at the "if I'M not using it then why should I pay for it" thing, but when the spread is that big I can sympathize with them a bit.

That being said taking over the system and completely loving it over is still a poo poo thing to do, and tossing out accusations of anti-Semitism when it's convenient because someone has a legitimate issue with what you're doing is always infuriating.

• Locked thread