Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Drunkboxer posted:

To each his own, I guess. Personally I can't stand the Snap Judgement guy, to the point that I can't really listen to the show.

I can't stand him either. I made it through maybe two episodes before I wanted to throw my ipod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm kinda curious why people can't stand Glynn Washington. I like his flair when he's telling his stories, even if they end up being kinda dull stories (see: Sensei), but it's more enjoyable to listen to than Ira Glass's nasally whiny voice. And it's doubly weird since, like Ira, he only really talks for like 5 minutes before handing it off to someone else to tell their story, so it's not like you can't just skip his introduction.

Edit: Although I probably have the same response towards David Sedaris as most of you have towards Glynn so it's not completely imcomprehensible.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

soggybagel posted:

Still, what Ira does for his dog is loving insane. Also the way he waves off the fact that the dog has bitten him, his wife, and even children to the point where it broke the skin was annoying.

Ira is a childless man swiftly approaching 60. At least he's turning his paternal desperation towards a dog instead of ruining a child's life.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm kinda curious why people can't stand Glynn Washington. I like his flair when he's telling his stories, even if they end up being kinda dull stories (see: Sensei), but it's more enjoyable to listen to than Ira Glass's nasally whiny voice. And it's doubly weird since, like Ira, he only really talks for like 5 minutes before handing it off to someone else to tell their story, so it's not like you can't just skip his introduction.

Edit: Although I probably have the same response towards David Sedaris as most of you have towards Glynn so it's not completely imcomprehensible.

I hate his "flair" I guess. Hearing a dull story about his old telemarketing job told like he's doing slam poetry makes it that much worse for me.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, Glynn's style was initially a barrier to me listening to Snap Judgment as well, but the stories themselves are good enough to make up for it. Does snap Judgment not have its own RGD thread?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GrandpaPants posted:

Same boat here. Sedaris's stories are very humorous at times, but his story-reading voice just initiates that reach-for-the-dial impulse. It's just this put-on drone that just doesn't work for me. His normal speaking voice? Completely tolerable. He had a kickass interview with Marc Maron, talking like a normal person, not like he was writing a book for my parents.

Glynn Washington's great and he was in a culty Christian thing like I had to grow up in, only his was even crazier. I'm not surprised some people don't like his energy, though, and "slam poetry" is not an inaccurate way to describe it.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

re: top podcasts

I look forward to 99% Invisible over TAL and Radiolab now. That recent Radiolab ep about the vase in the desert or whatever was just god awful.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gio posted:

re: top podcasts

I look forward to 99% Invisible over TAL and Radiolab now. That recent Radiolab ep about the vase in the desert or whatever was just god awful.

That story pissed me off because instead of telling a local museum about it they opted to be stupid hippies and worried about ending "the journey" of a seed jar that had sat under a rock for 200 years.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

doctorfrog posted:

"slam poetry" is not an inaccurate way to describe it.

I feel like it is. I was hooked from the start because he came off as an enthusiastic elementary school librarian reading at story-time. I find the style to be totally engaging for what are just more stories of humanity. Sure, it can be patronizing....if you think too highly of yourself. It's a whole let better? than listening to 15 minutes? of uptalk? from Ira.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Ira is a childless man swiftly approaching 60. At least he's turning his paternal desperation towards a dog instead of ruining a child's life.

I always forget how old Ira is, he sounds like he's in his mid 20s/30s still after decades.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

That story pissed me off because instead of telling a local museum about it they opted to be stupid hippies and worried about ending "the journey" of a seed jar that had sat under a rock for 200 years.

Yeah, they were really grasping for some greater meaning to what was basically a pointless trip to through the desert to find out a seed jar they once saw a decade ago wasn't there anymore. Nevermind that this was again another human interest story.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Copying this from a post in the Android App thread for anyone who might be interested.

Full Circle posted:

Specifically on the topic of This American Life, I got fed up with their lovely android app for listening to shows, and instead just created a basic HTML file with links to every episode as they become available, all the way from the first. The code is here if anybody wants it, you can just save it as an html file, or host it externally:
http://pastebin.com/HEzEGUQG

and before anyone asks, yes this is hosted by them, the download source is from their decompiled flash player.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I got around to listening to this week's episode and I was very amused by the first segment since anyone with a history of boardgaming knows that Diplomacy players are all abusive assholes. :v:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Diplomacy was amazing and sold my lady on the podcast and podcasts in general while the loving Moth is going to be deleted from my feed because gently caress those goddamn people. The whooping from some over enthusiastic crowd member when yet another droning story of self discovery concludes now puts my teeth on edge.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tony Montana posted:

Diplomacy was amazing and sold my lady on the podcast and podcasts in general while the loving Moth is going to be deleted from my feed because gently caress those goddamn people. The whooping from some over enthusiastic crowd member when yet another droning story of self discovery concludes now puts my teeth on edge.

I like autobiographical storytelling a ton and I'm still pretty burnt on the Moth. There's just not enough surprise in these stories. Or maybe it's just they've gone through the good ones by now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Moth is good in short spurts, I think. An entire hour's worth of stories just makes you realize A) how insufferable most of these people are and B) how much you really don't care if someone has a goddamn baby. They're often dull stories told reasonably well with the rare really great story.

Snap Live in San Francisco was really fun, by the way. A few dud stories/storytellers, but the live element definitely gave it a good performance aspect to it all. I don't know which ones will be actually presented in the podcast, though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Just listened to the murder child episode. Holy poo poo, I can't imagine being a parent dealing with that.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I have a backlog of like 10 TAL episodes because every time I try to finish the Bad Baby episode I get through another 5 minutes before I have to stop and then I don't want to touch TAL for a week. I should probably just delete it and move on.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

tnimark posted:

I have a backlog of like 10 TAL episodes because every time I try to finish the Bad Baby episode I get through another 5 minutes before I have to stop and then I don't want to touch TAL for a week. I should probably just delete it and move on.

If you have an mp3 player capable of speedy playback rates for podcasts and audiobooks, TAL excess of slow talkers means you can listen to an entire episode in 30 minutes. Plus Ira sounds like an autistic muppet, even though players generally maintain pitch.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
What % true speed is best for hearing TAL

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Rick posted:

I like autobiographical storytelling a ton and I'm still pretty burnt on the Moth. There's just not enough surprise in these stories. Or maybe it's just they've gone through the good ones by now.

I ran out of podcasts and flipped through a few random moth episodes and all of them ended with the story teller's friend/relative dying. I understand memorializing someone but they don't have to run every story. Cripes.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I dislike a lot of different things about The Moth, but what finally killed it for me was this one: http://themoth.org/posts/stories/mummy-was-a-wild-game-hunter

A real fancy lady waxing weirdsical about her crazy safari upbringing and saying 'mummy' maybe a thousand times. gag

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is it me, or was the editing on the last story from this week (Selling Yourself) completely insane? First she's talking about working in a nursing home, then she talks about being "accepted" and talks for two minutes before saying what's she accepted to, then suddenly she's a chemist and we keep cutting out and coming back in mid-conversation. Who listened to that and said "Nah, this is good to put on the radio"?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Is it me, or was the editing on the last story from this week (Selling Yourself) completely insane? First she's talking about working in a nursing home, then she talks about being "accepted" and talks for two minutes before saying what's she accepted to, then suddenly she's a chemist and we keep cutting out and coming back in mid-conversation. Who listened to that and said "Nah, this is good to put on the radio"?

I seriously thought it was one of TAL's fiction pieces. Well the rest of the show was pretty good at least! Super Business Girl was awesome, and a new Birbigs story that isn't a rehash of his sleepwalking or My Girlfriend's Boyfriend material.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I agree. Was it even the same person? :confused:
And the "pitch" of that Planet Money guy? :stonk: I cringed while I listened to it. I thought when you do a podcast about business (I guess, I never listened to Planet Money) you might know how to present your idea. That young girl knew much more about running a business than he did.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

AstroWhale posted:

I agree. Was it even the same person? :confused:
And the "pitch" of that Planet Money guy? :stonk: I cringed while I listened to it. I thought when you do a podcast about business (I guess, I never listened to Planet Money) you might know how to present your idea. That young girl knew much more about running a business than he did.

Good god, I think I mentally blocked out that Planet Money bit.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
It seemed like just an excuse to plug his new podcast, which is the second time TAL has done that in recent months.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
TAL has been cribbing planet money segments since PM started. I mean, that's pretty much how they got started. How is this new?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Zigmidge posted:

TAL has been cribbing planet money segments since PM started. I mean, that's pretty much how they got started. How is this new?

Well like the argument that tore down his startup plan, Planet Money is produced by NPR and Chicago Public Media which are nonprofits. This is almost like a direct advertisement for Alex Blumberg's podcast/startup which aren't affiliated with either of them. And it does a terrible job at it too, so I'm not sure what the point is. I usually skip past Planet Money segments but I kind of kept listening this time, like watching a trainwreck. Is that what the appeal is? I don't even know.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The best part is, it doesn't seem like he did any research. I can think of a few similar companies to what he wants to do.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Johnny Longtorso posted:

It seemed like just an excuse to plug his new podcast, which is the second time TAL has done that in recent months.

The recent Radiolab was a semi-plug for a new book by Jad's brother-in-law so maybe it's an NPR thing in general?

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

C-Euro posted:

The recent Radiolab was a semi-plug for a new book by Jad's brother-in-law so maybe it's an NPR thing in general?

And that sick metal track at the end.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

calandryll posted:

The best part is, it doesn't seem like he did any research. I can think of a few similar companies to what he wants to do.

Every comedian has their own podcast network. This guy is really jumping in to a market that is saturated with people trying to become the HBO of podcasts.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

hope and vaseline posted:

Well like the argument that tore down his startup plan, Planet Money is produced by NPR and Chicago Public Media which are nonprofits. This is almost like a direct advertisement for Alex Blumberg's podcast/startup which aren't affiliated with either of them. And it does a terrible job at it too, so I'm not sure what the point is. I usually skip past Planet Money segments but I kind of kept listening this time, like watching a trainwreck. Is that what the appeal is? I don't even know.

To be fair, Super Business Girl was also a PM segment. Interestingly, a long-form version of SBG made it to Planet Money, but Blumberg's piece didn't. Conflict of interest? Too awkward for the pop-economics podcast?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

The Modern Leper posted:

To be fair, Super Business Girl was also a PM segment. Interestingly, a long-form version of SBG made it to Planet Money, but Blumberg's piece didn't. Conflict of interest? Too awkward for the pop-economics podcast?

Planet money doesn't believe in conflict of interest.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm probably not being fair to TAL this week. I heard the word "Birbiglia" and immediately deleted the episode. I just don't feel like hearing a guy trying to talk like a full-grown six year old at any point in the next hour.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Mike Birbiglia owns. He repeats a lot of material on this sort of circuit but he's really funny.

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!

Sivart13 posted:

I dislike a lot of different things about The Moth, but what finally killed it for me was this one: http://themoth.org/posts/stories/mummy-was-a-wild-game-hunter

A real fancy lady waxing weirdsical about her crazy safari upbringing and saying 'mummy' maybe a thousand times. gag

I've been getting pretty tired of the Moth lately but I thought Peter Sagal's story about being the blind guy's marathon guide was pretty interesting. It kind of gave me hope in the podcast again.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I'm not going to go listen to it again, but I thought they said this was either from somewhere else or just produced by someone who has her own show. Which makes the whole show apparently just promoting other people's stuff (except maybe Bribiglia) which I guess is what to do when the topic is self-promotion.

Also, the music for the Martian girl segment was atrocious. This might be one of the worst-produced episodes TAL has ever put out (and even if it's not 'their' producers' fault, they still chose to air it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
This Not-So-Simple Majority thing is :stare:

• Locked thread