Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Blackula69 posted:

It wasn't a piece of theatre. It would be fine in the theatre because the story is what matters. But TAL is journalism, not theatre. They use the techniques of drama to tell true stories, he uses the techniques of journalism to tell fictional stories.

Holy poo poo, David Sedaris has actually met a talking chicken married to a talking cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Sivart13 posted:

This is one of the most painful episodes of TAL to listen to (that didn't have a stupid-assed David Sedaris Squirrel Story in it). I listen to podcasts on 2x, but I wish the iPhone had a 4x option for something like this with so many pregnant pauses interspersed.

Maybe it's all in the editing, but the way his side is framed makes me not want to believe a thing he says on this or any other subject. "The tools of theater and memoir" my rear end. This isn't some Arthur Miller bull poo poo. When someone sat down to watch this guy blubber out his story I guarantee they had been taking his word as fact. This guy lives in another universe.
Daisy's attitude is far from unique among nonfiction-storyteller-but-not-a-journalist types. I'm reminded of this back-and-forth between a writer and his fact checker: http://harpers.org/archive/2012/02/0083770

As a technically minded person, probably much like yourself, I think they're wrong. You can't just make things up and call it nonfiction. Even so, it's worth reminding yourself every now and then that there are people who don't hold to that, and that even if someone doesn't make up guards with guns out of whole cloth they still paint a picture that might not be entirely accurate with the facts they use to frame the story and the others they leave out.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 20, 2012

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

C-Euro posted:

No, the latest Radiolab episode was about rabies and the Milwaukee procedure, which was nuts.

When they mentioned a bat I thought "it can't be rabies, they already did a show about that." Turns out I was thinking about a story on This American Life.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

tnimark posted:

As a father of a 3 year old boy I'd like to think I'll be pretty open minded and supportive with just about anything he wants to do with his life as he grows up, but when they were speaking to this girl's father all I could think was 'what the gently caress do I do if my son is a furry?! Do I pretend I'm ok with it and just hope it goes away?' The possibility had never occurred to me before.

Really? It's the year 2013 and we're not all past giving a poo poo about what another person is turned on by?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

The Modern Leper posted:

To be fair, Super Business Girl was also a PM segment. Interestingly, a long-form version of SBG made it to Planet Money, but Blumberg's piece didn't. Conflict of interest? Too awkward for the pop-economics podcast?

Planet money doesn't believe in conflict of interest.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

straight jerkers posted:

He had an alibi.

Yeah, and so did Adnan.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Yeah, that's not it

Maybe she's not Asian, but I feel pretty drat sure English isn't her first language.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

The first two episodes were up at the same time, so that helped a little.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Irish Joe posted:

Of course she did. That e-mail/call was literally the biggest load of poo poo I have ever heard.

"Here's a guy who trolled me, and he conveniently confirms every single one of my perceptions."

You do know that This American Life got crazy about fact checking after Mike Daisy came on and lied to them, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

cebrail posted:

Please help me, for the last 20 years I, a person with insane right wing opinions, have told other people with insane right wing opinions what to do, and they always did, but now they want to vote for someone who's equally insane :iiam:

No see, Ted Cruz is the Real Christian in the race. As the Lord once said: "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have colossal assholery for one another."

• Locked thread