Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I haven't listened to TAL in a few weeks and was catching up today, and David Rakoff's tribute episode caught me off-guard. I apparently missed the memo with him passing away. After hearing his regular contributions, it's almost like a close friend is gone. You'll be missed, David, by so many people that you have never met.

His brief reading of the passage from his upcoming book was just brutal :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

soggybagel posted:

I'll hop on that train. I liked a lot of Sedaris's written work and the occasional radio bit, but I really am sick of his fictional animal stuff. And the worst is when its from a live recording. So not only do we get less stellar audio, we get an audience who is laughing their asses off at this inane stuff. It reminds me of that Simpsons joke when Homer yells at the TV to be funny when they're watching A Prairie Home Companion/Garrison Keillor reading on stage and the audience is going crazy.

Ditto. I've loved every Sedaris book until his animal fables one.

Does anyone else have trouble paying attention to TAL's fiction segments in general?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

This episode was just trippy. Fred Armisen's impression kept getting better throughout the show. Here's that weekend update bit by the way. http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/web-exclusive-update-fred-as-ira-glass/1428371/

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Is the android app not updating for new episodes for anyone else? Last one its showing up for me was Dec 21.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

tnimark posted:

Oh boy am I not on board with this.

Ditto. I pretty much have a huge grin whenever she's doing a piece.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Check out the favorites from the TAL site, there's some good selections there. I'm surprised A Night at the Weiner's Circle isn't in the One Location page, it's an early classic.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

patricius posted:

Anything and everything involving Scott Carrier, who doesn't contribute anymore, unfortunately. Particularly episode 181.

Scott carrier has a magical site called Prisoner of Zion that has an archive of most of his TAL segments and contributions to other radio shows. Check out Running After Antelope as well.

Blergh, meant to edit my previous post.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 16, 2013

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought Fred Armisen as Ira Glass was hilarious.

One of my favorite TAL's was the one where they set up at a diner (The Golden Apple?) for 24 hours. It wasn't particularly insightful or anything, but I liked it as a sort of infinitesimal slice of American life. It really reminded me of a Studs Terkel style oral history, moreso than any of the other programs I've listened to, in that it shows the many permutations of life that for some are horribly mundane, but for others is just fascinating.

I love this one too.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/172/24-hours-at-the-golden-apple

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

UltraRed posted:

Especially bad is when you don't realize it's fiction until an animal starts talking.

Oh my god what is it with TAL's obsession with talking animal fiction? It's not just David Sedaris either.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

There's looking, and then there's looking.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit: For more journalistic punch, Harper High School Part One and Part Two are great.

This really is the pinnacle of journalistic TAL.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Drunkboxer posted:

I have a hard time with Snap Judgment because of the host's stories, which are boring as hell. That and all the stories at aren't even stories when you think about them.

Same. I hate listening to the host's framing of the stories. I guess in the same way that Ira Glass can grate on people's ears.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Is it me, or was the editing on the last story from this week (Selling Yourself) completely insane? First she's talking about working in a nursing home, then she talks about being "accepted" and talks for two minutes before saying what's she accepted to, then suddenly she's a chemist and we keep cutting out and coming back in mid-conversation. Who listened to that and said "Nah, this is good to put on the radio"?

I seriously thought it was one of TAL's fiction pieces. Well the rest of the show was pretty good at least! Super Business Girl was awesome, and a new Birbigs story that isn't a rehash of his sleepwalking or My Girlfriend's Boyfriend material.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

AstroWhale posted:

I agree. Was it even the same person? :confused:
And the "pitch" of that Planet Money guy? :stonk: I cringed while I listened to it. I thought when you do a podcast about business (I guess, I never listened to Planet Money) you might know how to present your idea. That young girl knew much more about running a business than he did.

Good god, I think I mentally blocked out that Planet Money bit.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Zigmidge posted:

TAL has been cribbing planet money segments since PM started. I mean, that's pretty much how they got started. How is this new?

Well like the argument that tore down his startup plan, Planet Money is produced by NPR and Chicago Public Media which are nonprofits. This is almost like a direct advertisement for Alex Blumberg's podcast/startup which aren't affiliated with either of them. And it does a terrible job at it too, so I'm not sure what the point is. I usually skip past Planet Money segments but I kind of kept listening this time, like watching a trainwreck. Is that what the appeal is? I don't even know.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Strange Matter posted:

I don't know why but that diving segment is utterly riveting even though it's the second time I've listened to it. Maybe its because I can only visualize the environment that it describes as being utterly alien and divorced from anything that I will ever experience, so the whole thing makes me feel like I'm listening to an astronaut exploring another planet. Or Will Navidson exploring his house.

Yeah, jesus christ I don't have claustrophobia but I felt really uncomfortable listening to that whole segment. Funny you mentioned HoL cause I was thinking of that too.

Also, I wish Scott Carrier still did pieces for TAL :(

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh god. I really liked that episode too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

You shut your mouth, Tig Notaro is a national treasure.

OK that wasn't the best piece but still!

• Locked thread