Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Hoops posted:

I can enjoy it if they're great storytellers, but I'm on the third of these now and it's the same droney voice each time.

doctorfrog posted:

Man, you ain't kiddin. I suffered through the first, slept through the second and part of the third (which just sort of ended), and gave up on the episode altogether when I heard that king drone himself was going to wind one away for the last act.
Ughhh. I couldn't help but think of these posts for the entirety of the most recent episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Huh, that's the second Trump v Cruz story they've run now.

But forget Alex, did anyone else never realise that it was illegal to pay a kidney donor?!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I know this is completely inappropriate but holy poo poo, Detective Galbraith looks like a movie star.
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/12/16/an-unbelievable-story-of-rape?ref=hp-2-112#.lpZGeLBRu

watho posted:

This episode was really good
This feels so weird to say. I mean it's accurate but it's the strange nature of true crime stories. "I really enjoyed that! ...harrowing description of people's unimaginable terror and hopelessness."

turevidar posted:

"It's her own fault because I saw her flirt with a guy at a picnic once and she probably just got in over her head with dirty pictures and wanted a cover story"

eat poo poo Peggy
Read your post before I finished the episode and thought you were being a bit extreme based on what she'd said in the beginning...but then that last part...loving hell.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So, goons, whose side are we on in that Pro-Seal, Pro-Beachgoer conflict?

'cause I like the nice lawyer with his stun gun that I mean in court he proved wasn't a stun gun and that's an important technicality and the guy he "stunned" with his "stunning gun type weapon" almost certainly deserved it, over the heavyset voice of "Biker Bobbi" who sounded super reasonable until he turned out to be An Actual Crazy person.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

As opposed to mild-mannered radio host who fired four bullets into a neighbors yard because of loud music
Oh my god, that was the craziest part! Is he a regular contributor? I was thinking the story was suddenly going to dramatically shift to his court case or something.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I totally wondered if that was the same dude, but the episode picture for TAL suggests otherwise.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/580/thats-one-way-to-do-it?act=1

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, no, that was really interesting and deeply unpleasant.

On a FAR less serious note, the fill-in host for the week really annoyed me by chiming in with "Mhmm"s and "Yeah"s during Zoe Chace's bit. I was like "guy, have you never listened to this show before?"

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I found the whole ep pretty boring, to be honest. But I at least found some comfort knowing that they do SOMETIMES change the musical cues on the show. Because oh my god, I am so sick of the current ones.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hated it too. And I thought the standup preceding it was anticlimactic and disappointing. Opening story was really interesting though!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm just a podcast listener here, but no ep last week?

Anyway, midway through this week's ep and I'm so scared of being some frothing at the mouth reddity hatemonger anti-"sjw" lunatic...but I'm finding it absolutely infuriating. Also really disappointed Dan Savage didn't appear.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Maybe I am.

I'm all for stopping the weird shaming and hate and questioning what happens when society deems one subset of people okay to bully, and that there are a lot of factors at play in obesity. I mean I appreciated the part where they said Dan Savage no longer goes for the easy punchlines when he writes about this issue.

But on the other hand, the person in the story wasn't BORN at 250+lbs (I'm honestly not even sure bathroom scales this side of the atlantic go up that high) and if she's knocking things over with her fat and breaking chairs - maybe something is wrong and maybe she needs help.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, just to be clear, the only section that made me outright angry was the Lindy West part. I honestly expected Ira to politely ask the kind of followup questions they ask when they're dealing with people who have crazy beliefs. Aside from the part where she talks about breaking chairs and knocking things over, the other part that got me was when she protesting against medical facts (and in fairness, using it as an excuse to bully people is lovely) - and said "they're judging people for the diabetes they don't have yet." Yet. She actually said that.

The Elna story was way more interesting, but yeah, the part where she's crying at her husband was kind of ridiculous. "Oh my god, If I looked different and unattractive to you, we wouldn't have founded a relationship based on initial mutual attraction at all!" is a bit of a weak realisation, just like y'all said. The part where she talked about different ethnicities noticing her as she lost weight was legit hilarious though. (By the way, did Elna do another story with TAL in the last year or so? I've definitely heard her before, but I can't remember from what story.)

I also thought it was curious that they pretty much spoke exclusively to women about being fat. Honestly, my biggest takeaway from the episode wasn't about fat acceptance or fat bullying, but about how much society makes women draw their self worth from their physical attributes. Like the old thing of how the words "you're beautiful inside" still puts inordinate importance on beauty...

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

watho posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. I'm sure it's way more complicated than that though.

Also, I really don't get why people have problems with Lindy West's parts. I don't think there's any fat person who doesn't know the health risks, pointing them out to them accomplishes nothing except making you feel smugly superior. Not accusing anyone of doing this, just saying that it's a thing people do.
Oh no, I totally get that. But her position seems to be "I am fat. It is permanent and unchangeable and the rest of the world should cater to that." And that's fine if you're a bit chubby or whatever, but when you're take-up-two-seats-on-a-bus fat, knocking things over and not fitting on aeroplanes (not to mention those ol' healthcare costs, etc.) - that is a problem and it's basically...irresponsible to pretend that's okay and not to try to fix it.

watho posted:

Why can't we do that?
Because that will create people who DON'T know the health risks of obesity.

life is a joke posted:

I'm almost hesitant to criticize this episode because there's so many nasty people on the internet that hate on fat people in a really gross way that I don't even want people to think that I'm a part of that in even the tiniest way.
Yeahhhhh. :smith:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, TAL has always spoken to fringe lunatics and even actual criminals. I don't think they should be told not to give anybody "a platform". But I am disappointed that Ira didn't bring any of their usual common sense skepticism to that piece.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This week's ep was kind of the most enlightening election coverage I've ever heard/seen. Explains so much about Trump/Brexit. The naked bigotry couched by people trying to sound reasonable and non-racist with "OUR KIDS WILL HAVE TO INTERACT WITH NON-WHITE CHILDREN" and "Sharia Law is absolutely a thing in the United States, IT'S LIKE WE'RE LIVING ON DIFFERENT PLANETS".

It really is!

EDIT: seriously, that reasonable logical lady they spoke to used pretty much the same words as the lady against segregated schools in the '80s or whatever in the ep they did a while back.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I don't have much to add, S-Town was good and interesting. Wish it had more closure, but hell, you always do with these things. Even though I like TAL and Serial, it took me a long time to give it a chance and I'm not sure why. The name and ads didn't attract me, and I mistakenly thought for a while that it was a fiction story!

Did want to mention the soundtrack is also good though:
https://danielhartmusic.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-s-town
("Longleaf Pines" and "Black Bear" are particularly chill)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Based on that one released photo, it's not like Brian had a little subtle dictaphone, he was wearing massive headphones and literally holding a mic up to people's faces. Hard to say people didn't know what they were getting into with that.

• Locked thread