Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Boo. Looks like a re-run this week. A good re-run (I love the "Hello Calgary" story), but a re-run none the less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Antifreeze Head posted:

Reruns are fine and all, but I rather wish they'd reach a little farther back than 51 weeks.

So if you feel cheated, go listen to the P.I. Moms (447) or David and Goliath (303) for something a bit older that you might not remember hearing last March.

I think that's what bugs me because I still vividly remember the episode. Usually I don't mind re-runs cause I only started listening to the podcast a year ago, so its all new to me.

I've heard good things about "P.I" moms through, so I'll listen to that episode this week instead. :)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

nerdpony posted:

PI Moms is great. It's one of those episodes that sometimes I'll go back and listen to just because.

Awww heck, listened to the re-run and "PI Moms". Both awesome.

Any other archive episodes I really need to check out?

I've listened to "Fiasco", "Mistakes Were Made", "Dopplegangers", "Redaction", "Seemed like a Good Idea at the Time" and have been an avid weekly listener to the podcast since 2014.

I've got the TAL app on my phone (I'm using an FM tuner, its all safe!) and love listening to TAL on my long work-related drives. I suppose the app has a "best of" category but, as chat in this thread has proven, what TAL thinks is "the best" and what other people think is "the best" can be wildly different.

I liked the "I was so high" episode. :blush:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The guy from this week who couldn't lie was just the spergiest. Like, undiagnosed, legit, asbergers.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

bad day posted:

For example there's an AMAZING recent episode of Reply All called Why Is Mason Reese Crying - I'll bet you a dollar it winds up as part of a TAL episode sometime in the next 12 months.

And that Mason Reese episode was originally a "Wiretap" episode. :v:

Johnathan's Wiretap stuff shows up on TAL all the time though, so yeah you're right that "Why is Mason Reese crying" will pop up on TAL eventually.

RE: this week's TAL. The vegan kid was insufferable. I really want an update if he's become normal. :smith:

I did like the "hold music" story. The dad reminded me of my dad. :3:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh god. I really liked that episode too.

Man, TAL just can't get a break. :smith:

Another redaction episode?

This week's episode was pretty good, though. The suicide group with the kids was not happy fun times, got me choked up. Very sad stuff.

Next week's sounds interesting too.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Republican Vampire posted:

It's definitely not an actual mystery show, and it is really hokey. The second episode is kind of dominated by a lengthy section where she talks to a ticketmaster employee about self-esteem and Britney Spears.

In both the mystery is really secondary to Kine just talking to normal people 'bout stuff. That's part of why I like it. It harkens back to the kind of directionless, almost ambient stuff that used to make up a decent proportion of their segments.

I love listening to her talk though. :3: So I loved the first episode, and will keep listening.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

dead lettuce posted:

Are there any Radiotopia shows I should be listening to every week other than 99PI and Criminal (and now The Heart)?

The FGM episode was so heartbreaking.

I like The Truth, but I also love radio dramas.

"Silvia's Blood" was a particularly good episode, (it's the episode that hooked me) but all in all its always well produced and good.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 12, 2016

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

All I could think is if you're big enough to break chairs and knock over things around you as you pass through a room, you're not fat, you're morbidly obese and holy hell no amount of tumblr brain washing will make people view you as ~*~beautiful~*~. The hell. :psyduck:

Now that I think about it, her other story about confronting her cyber bully was pure stdh.txt too.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

That "Corpse Bride" story sure was something... :stare:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kangra posted:

S-Town sounds a lot like "Serial Season 3, but we aren't calling it that because we don't want it to be overhyped".

Yeah, certainly seems that way. Right down to the "we're putting all the episodes out at once so you can't complain when the conclusion doesn't live up to expectations because we've been dragging you along for 6 months.". I'll still give it a listen, I liked s1 and s2 of Serial.

Man, Ira's story about Mary this week was :unsmith: personified. All in all, a good episode this week.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I admit, they got me hooked with whole "is he really just crazy" element in the first episode.

I'll listen over the next few days, curious where this is going to go.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

:siren: probably shouldn't look at the link unless you've finished Stown! Spoilers and all. :siren:

I feel kiiinda skevy for posting this but I was curious, Tuscaloosa news posted some pictures related to Stown, including a picture of John's maze, which looks way cooler than I pictured I hope it gets to grow..

Also Tyler's headstone for John is quite beautiful :unsmith:

Of course internet detectives have already found John's house, but I won't post any of that here and I'll be happy to remove my link if anyone objects.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

One nice thing of dumpin all the episodes at once is it likely saved the Florida cousins from tons of harassment.

I think that's a big part of why they did it.

Also, the twist at the end of episode two would have been discovered immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Speaking of, this weeks episode is inspired by Lindy West. Her last time On was about her job as a humorist and featured her interviewing the guy who owned her online. Jing it or ding it?

This episode is a re-run.

EDIT: You know what, I'll just say I don't like Lindy or agree with her views and she's the worst part of the episode. The rest is good.

No update on the producer who's hooked on speed either. I want an update or closure! :mad:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 30, 2017

• Locked thread